City of Portland Employee Reviews in United States

Never a dual moment
Shelter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEFebruary 9, 2016
Working with the City of Portland was not an easy job. There was never a dual moment at the homeless shelter. My job consisted of checking clients in and out of the shelter, updating personal information, safety and sanitation of all clients. Maintaining the rules and regulations of the location.
Pros
job security
Cons
overnight shift
Great working environment
Utility Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Portland, TXOctober 6, 2015
We were able to get the funding to upgrade the Wastewater Treatment plant, replace water and sewer mains, acquire generators for the two booster stations, standby power for the main lift station, etc.
Pros
City management met the needs of the various departments with great council support
Cons
Salary
fun and teambuilding
Event Security (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEOctober 11, 2015
We do security for various events. We work on a team and make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible. For the client running the event and for the enjoyment of the people comming to the event.
Dedicated coworkers, community enviroment
Financial Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 23, 2015
Fast-paced job with a diverse clientele, often requiring interpreters. Job required attention to detail, good customer service skills, good problem-solving skills, and good communication skills. Coworkers helped one another with complicated issues.
Great workplace
Certified Nursing Assistant Barron Center (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 14, 2015
Most amazing staff members on each unit. great team work and very dedicated employees. I my personal opinion the night shift is the best.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
12 hrs shifts are not available
Crossing children
Crossing guard (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 6, 2015
Crossing children to and from school safely Monday through Friday except holidays. All employees are friendly and i can not wait to start back in the fall.
Great community for work for
Ambulance Director - Fire Chief (Former Employee) –  Portland, MIFebruary 15, 2015
As ambulance director and fire chief each day was a challenge. I really enjoyed helping people with their medical needs. Sometimes this involved a life or death situation but I gained personal satisfaction that in most cases I was able to help and change the outcome. This is something that I wanted to do my whole life.
Pros
got to make some great friends and help my community
Cons
very stressful
Client-oriented
Translator and Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJune 11, 2015
The services are designed to help refugees and asylees start new lives in this country.
Strong ethical guidelines and client-oriented services.
Uncertain as to job security, unfavorable working conditions.
Fire AlarmTechnician, Interior and municipal (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEAugust 27, 2014
The electrical division of the fire dept is a hostile working environment.
Supervision is by a minority individual very incompetent.
If I had known about these conditions at the time of initial hire, I probably would not have taken the position.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
unstable working conditions
City government job dealing with the public.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, TXMarch 10, 2014
In a typical day, many trouble calls for the water and sewer department came in.

I learned about city budgets, water distribution, and wastewater collection.

My co-workers were hard working men and women that did what was necessary to get the job done.

There were some good managers. Each had a different communication style and a different set of expectations.

Handling upset residents was the hardest part of the job.

For the most part, my co-workers were the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
christmas parties and employee recognition luncheons
Cons
few happy residents
Initially a Fantastic diverse organization to work for.
Teen Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 7, 2013
The ability to provide services and programs for the community is what I am good at and passionate about. In the early years of my employment the diversity was the greatest asset to the organization. The latter, the focus changed. Bottom line instead of service became the focus. Management had their hands full of employees that built their careers on the value of building healthy relationships with the communities that they served. Bottom line initiatives conflicted with community service and in my opinion management wasn't equipped with the best management tools to lead.
Pros
a broad opportunity to serve many communities.
Cons
the organization leaves little room for growth and advancement for minorities.
nice place to work and help
Shelter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEDecember 26, 2013
Homeless people have many needs, but most importantly, they need a true friend. By true friend I mean someone who will stick by them no matter what. The stress of becoming homeless, and the stress of being homeless can cause a person to do some odd or extreme things, which will cause most people to recoil. But a true friend would not abandon a person when they become homeless.
Loved it
Sanitation Driver (Former Employee) –  Portland, TNFebruary 2, 2015
Great people to work with. Get your foot in the door, and if you work, you definitely have upward mobility options. Plus the city is a great place to live too.
Technical Accounting Department
Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland BuildingMarch 14, 2012
I would say that my Internship with the City of Portland was a great one. I really enjoyed working with everyone and there were a lot of super people there. I learned from the top CPA's that they have there and was able to sit down with each of them and get a better understanding of what they were all about!
Pros
nice people and excelent benefits
This is a great and challenging community to work with
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEApril 1, 2013
There was no real typical day at work for each day there was something new. This was my externship that lead to payed position. Mostly filing and clinical duties were the focus as there was much re-organizing needed within back files.
Pros
great place to learn and work
Cons
lable of payed position was data entry
Rewarding, fun work place
Gym Director (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 22, 2012
The St. Johns community center is a great place to work. I have the freedom to manage my own time and projects. I am able to work with children of all ages and their parent, which is very rewarding. I enjoy the position very much. The only downfall is that full time is not available.
Pros
very rewarding, freedom, stable job
Cons
full time not available
Fun place to work because there was something diffrenent to do everyday.
Public Works Winter Temp (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEOctober 15, 2012
My number 1 job was snow removal. I used a dump truck with a front and side plow on it. I aslo used a bobcat and loader. A few times throughout my time working for the city I was asked to just load dump trucks with salt. I enjoyed that a lot.
Productive work place lots of lifting
SummerWorks Intern, Water Bureau (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 29, 2013
Clean and maintain hydro parks. Rebuild and put together water pump meters. I learned that Portland have one of the cleanest water systems. The hardest part would be maintaining clean environments throughout the city.
Pros
supplied lunch
Cons
short breaks
City of Portland expanded my knowledge and enhanced communication as well as future possibilities
Digital Media Designer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 6, 2014
Designing media for the City of Portland was very enjoyable but was only an intern position. The work I was performing had not been implemented or budgeted into other departments. I learned and honed communication skills through multiple meetings and interviews. Having to learn and utilize different personalities and intricacies could be challenging at times but also proved to be a very useful tool when filming. Development of materials and filming City workers that had never been on camera was difficult. They are used to just doing their job. Having to explain it in a detailed and productive way to be used for training proved very complicated. This did develop over time though. Everyone I got to know seemed very honest and nice. I really enjoyed my time at this position and I am grateful for the experience and knowledge that it brought me.
Pros
new experiences and wonderful people, great pay
Cons
not a permanent position, budget controls all projects, equipment, and promotions
Decent Place to work
Vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 23, 2014
Benefits are ok on a decline, pay is not the best but is ok. Seems that people want to take more and more from govt. employee benefits and retirement plans

4.3