City of Portland Employee Reviews

Good benefits, but awful work environment
Parking Code Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 8, 2017
The City of Portland provides an excellent benefits package, but that's about it. Management does not care about my concerns or suggestions. Working with the public is stressful because people are insulting and sometimes physically hostile. Working outside is difficult in extreme cold, heat, and torrential rain.
Pros
benefits (health insurance, holidays, retirement)
Cons
poor management, hostile public, bad weather
overal very good
Volunteer Work for nature day camp (Former Employee) –  various parks around portlandAugust 1, 2016
The environment was very good and everything was well organized. Everyone was very nice and the job was fun. I was constantly outside during my job and always had something to do.
I was only an engineering intern
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 27, 2016
I tried to get a job after my internship but it was 2008 and there was a hiring freeze. Management was great, and I enjoyed my coworkers. People were typically quiet and focused on work (engineers) but overall people seemed happy
Pros
health incentives and programs
Cons
difficulty getting position
awesome workplace, great benefits
Public Works Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, TXJune 12, 2016
I learned quite a bit about water and wastewater operations, a lot of room for advancement. you control your own raises with licensing, has great hours it was a pleasure to work there.
Pros
hour lunch, room for advancement, great hours
Cons
some old equipment, high turnover rate, stand by
Best Place to Work
ASSISTANT FINANCIAL ANAYLST (Former Employee) –  Portland OregonJune 2, 2016
I worked for the City of Portland for 23 years. It was a great place to learn and grow. Most people who work for the city stay until retirement. Although not as good as it used to be, the retirement is a great motivator to stay. The benefits are good as well.
Pros
Great Health Plan
Cons
It's governement work.
Customer Account Specialist
Customer Account Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 18, 2016
In the call center, I took 60-90 calls about billing issues to leak repairs. Reps for the most part got along. management had a difficult job of translating what the city government wanted at the time.

In the service center, I had the additional task of cashiering. Also I would handle customers in trouble of being interrupted.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
dealing with a always changing government
Never a dual moment
Shelter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEFebruary 9, 2016
Working with the City of Portland was not an easy job. There was never a dual moment at the homeless shelter. My job consisted of checking clients in and out of the shelter, updating personal information, safety and sanitation of all clients. Maintaining the rules and regulations of the location.
Pros
job security
Cons
overnight shift
fun and teambuilding
Event Security (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEOctober 11, 2015
We do security for various events. We work on a team and make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible. For the client running the event and for the enjoyment of the people comming to the event.
Great working environment
Utility Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Portland, TXOctober 6, 2015
We were able to get the funding to upgrade the Wastewater Treatment plant, replace water and sewer mains, acquire generators for the two booster stations, standby power for the main lift station, etc.
Pros
City management met the needs of the various departments with great council support
Cons
Salary
Dedicated coworkers, community enviroment
Financial Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 23, 2015
Fast-paced job with a diverse clientele, often requiring interpreters. Job required attention to detail, good customer service skills, good problem-solving skills, and good communication skills. Coworkers helped one another with complicated issues.
Great workplace
Certified Nursing Assistant Barron Center (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 14, 2015
Most amazing staff members on each unit. great team work and very dedicated employees. I my personal opinion the night shift is the best.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
12 hrs shifts are not available
Crossing children
Crossing guard (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 6, 2015
Crossing children to and from school safely Monday through Friday except holidays. All employees are friendly and i can not wait to start back in the fall.
Client-oriented
Translator and Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJune 11, 2015
The services are designed to help refugees and asylees start new lives in this country.
Strong ethical guidelines and client-oriented services.
Great community for work for
Ambulance Director - Fire Chief (Former Employee) –  Portland, MIFebruary 15, 2015
As ambulance director and fire chief each day was a challenge. I really enjoyed helping people with their medical needs. Sometimes this involved a life or death situation but I gained personal satisfaction that in most cases I was able to help and change the outcome. This is something that I wanted to do my whole life.
Pros
got to make some great friends and help my community
Cons
Very stressful
Loved it
Sanitation Driver (Former Employee) –  Portland, TNFebruary 2, 2015
Great people to work with. Get your foot in the door, and if you work, you definitely have upward mobility options. Plus the city is a great place to live too.
Decent Place to work
Vehicle Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 23, 2014
Benefits are ok on a decline, pay is not the best but is ok. Seems that people want to take more and more from govt. employee benefits and retirement plans
City of Portland expanded my knowledge and enhanced communication as well as future possibilities
Digital Media Designer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 6, 2014
Designing media for the City of Portland was very enjoyable but was only an intern position. The work I was performing had not been implemented or budgeted into other departments. I learned and honed communication skills through multiple meetings and interviews. Having to learn and utilize different personalities and intricacies could be challenging at times but also proved to be a very useful tool when filming. Development of materials and filming City workers that had never been on camera was difficult. They are used to just doing their job. Having to explain it in a detailed and productive way to be used for training proved very complicated. This did develop over time though. Everyone I got to know seemed very honest and nice. I really enjoyed my time at this position and I am grateful for the experience and knowledge that it brought me.
Pros
New experiences and wonderful people, great pay
Cons
Not a permanent position, budget controls all projects, equipment, and promotions
best job of my career
Firefighter Trainee (Former Employee) –  Portland, orOctober 28, 2014
It was challeging and the hardest job i have ever held but the most rewarding as well.
Slow and Steady
Engineer-Trainee (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 21, 2014
Lots of people to network with and learn from. Very hospitable and intelligent.
Great place to work and very close to home.
Park Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Portland, TNOctober 16, 2014
My main duties include the over all safety of the park and turf management of the athletic fields.
Pros
Close to home.
Benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Portland. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3