City Of Raleigh Employee Reviews in United States

Nice town to live in, lots of mental spinning at the city
retired (Former Employee) –  uptownApril 4, 2016
Over emphasize voodoo economics such as LEED , "Sustainability' where they fund the department by the "money they save" over the long haul. Basically paying college phd / Masters kids to make themselves more valuable. Big on promoting minorities and woman, not so much a good place for men. Seems to be a trend these days. Lots of nepotism. Carefully planned job descriptions and promotions for family members at work here so be careful. Glad to be free from all that. Raleigh has become anti-progressive over the past few years since republicans took back the house and senate but the weather is nice. Typically under budget for building projects, but fund the H E double toothpicks out of "studies".
Pros
benefits retirement match
Cons
over study everything and do not reward people who "get the real work done"
fun place to work and friendly coworkers
youth baseball umpire (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 16, 2016
the parent would drop off the children, they would come running in with a smile and ready to have a fun day at summer camp. the kids are excited to be apart of the summer camp and for their baseball games
Great summer job
Summer Youth Employee (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 18, 2016
I learned a lot working with a team and power tools.. the only thing i didnt like was that it was just a summer job, so we always worked during very hot days
Pros
could eat lunch anywhere
Cons
working on very hot days
Solid standards and exceptional HR
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 29, 2016
Wonderful, their benefit office is setup well and easy to get a hold of. The city of Raleigh is a shining city and everything you think of it is true!
professional workplace
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 12, 2016
The work is sometimes demanding, but rewarding.
I learned how to work in several different positions, so cross-training is necessary.
The hardest part of the job is meeting the deadlines with immediate tasks due the same day.
Great Website
Mail Operation Clerk (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 27, 2015
My work day is Satisfying. I work independent in my current position. I have to be self-motivated. I have a lot of responsibilities. It requires me to be dependable, Time manageable to complete all my daily task.I sometimes get my work done way before time.
Benefits
Cons
Trying to meet Unreasonable demands.
very poor management ideals
Water Treatment Plant Operator A-Surface (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 3, 2015
look through the reviews and notice the trend that has developed for the water department before making a final decision about working there.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management policies and ideals.
summer Athletics intern
Athletics Program Intern (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 27, 2015
days were long but rewarding in the end. in the evenings we visited the ballparks and other community centers to ensure that everything was running smoothly.
Fun, casual work environment
Recreation Leader, Recreation Aide (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 18, 2015
I loved working for Raleigh Parks and Recreation. The staff was great and so was the management. During transitional periods for the facility, there was a lot more pressure than usual to go the extra mile to make ends meet. There was a strong sense of community in this workplace. I learned work independence and responsibility in this job when my experience allowed me to assume a leadership position, holding keys, opening and closing the facility, overseeing the entire facility and staff when directors were not in.
Pros
Community, casual environment conducive to learning work skills
Cons
Transitions within the facility required a lot of work with less reward
Street Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 24, 2015
I enjoyed working with different types of equipment during the day. Hardest part of the job would be standing out in the hot sun. The coworkers and the management was nice.
Great Production for Employees
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 12, 2015
This job has great benefits for permanent employees. While also offering great advancement opportunities. I recommend this job to anyone looking for stability.
Great Job
Teen Outreach Programs Director (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 29, 2015
LOVE MY JOB but I love the kids more. I look forward to going to work everyday. Perfect company for people who love working with kids.
Fun amusement park job that is open year round with seasonal traffic.
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 6, 2015
My typical day starts with opening the park (unlocking and preparing facilities, counting money, and checking ride readiness). Throughout the day I respond to any calls from cashiers, caretakers, ride operators, and managers, informing and/or assisting them as needed. I also regularly check on and assist with ride, front desk, cashier, and caretaker operations. If no breaker is scheduled, I give people lunch breaks myself or designate an available employee to do so. If time allows, I patrol the park grounds and work on any needed maintenance and other ongoing tasks and projects. I help train, monitor, and assist other part-time staff. Each month I conduct a basic safety check of park facilities and grounds. At the end of the day, I check and close all facilities after counting, collecting, and preparing a deposit of all earned money.

My managers are fun, fair, and helpful. They are present for the majority of most weekdays, and on call on weekends. In their absence, I typically run the park and report to them if needed.

Co-workers vary greatly in age and experience. Many older staff work here after retiring elsewhere, and many high school and college students work here on breaks, weekends, and evenings.

There are many different aspects to this job, and it has provided me with a great deal of experience and with many different skills. Many city trainings are required for this job and more may be taken for additional qualifications. Winter can be pretty slow, and spring and summer very busy. I constantly interact with the public including children, and this can make it a very
  more... fun and at times very stressful job. If you can keep your cool, supervise other staff, are self-motivated and like your work days to have some variety, this may be a good job for you.  less
Pros
great for developing skills and gaining experience.
Cons
no part time benefits, limited hours available per year.
Will review at a later date
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 5, 2015
City of Raleigh is an excellent place to work if you have the right supervisor. Benefits are excellent and it can be a fun place at times.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with personalities. Co workers were awesome.
Pros
great people
Cons
micro manager
Great!!!!
Collection labor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 2, 2015
It was a great experience working & learning new career skills
City of Raleigh
Insurance Specialist for Workers' Compensation (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 25, 2014
• Liaison for injured employees to assist them through the workers’ compensation (WC) process.
• Work closely with the Employee Health Center, medical providers, third party administrator, nurse case managers and City’s departments to coordinate medical treatment and return-to-work program
• Coordinate with City departments and safety officers to ensure proper communication regarding the employee’s injury, work restrictions and workers’ compensation claim.
• Track and monitor injured employees’ medical status and work restrictions.
• Manage tracking of all Workers’ Compensation claims activity for claimants.
• Execute and run weekly and bi-weekly reports using PeopleSoft.
• Process all Temporary Total Disability and Temporary Partial Disability benefits.
• Provide training to City’s employees and departments on workers’ compensation benefits
• Conducted and led meetings to roll out the City’s new WC process to all departments and employees ensuring a smooth transition
Productive and Creative Environment
Administrative Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 23, 2014
My typical day at work would include so many things that are on my resume that I can't say them all here. I worked for so many different agencies and I helped out the City Council, the Mayor, the other departments so much I was busy all day.
My resume states most everything I did however, there is so much training and involvement in matters and trust that I felt like I was management.
Pros
the family atmosphere of the building
Cons
my coworker on the phone to her family
Awsome place to work.
Rec Leader (Former Employee) –  5900 whittier dr.August 27, 2014
Depending on your shift and what job you had, one could work the front desk or after school (both is some cases). Either one basically in tells showing up on time and preforming your daily duties. i learned patients in dealing with costumers. my directors rotated a lot but for the most part i did what they asked. working there you get to work a diverse group of people. the job was the easiest thing ever there was no hard part. everything about the job i loved.
Fun and safe environment
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  John Chavis CenterJune 17, 2014
Wonderful environment to work in ,exciting people to work with as a team
Great company
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  RaleighJune 13, 2014
Loved working with kids... I was happy and i had work life balance. Just low income

4.2