City Of Raleigh Employee Reviews

Enjoyable working with the public
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 27, 2017
Duties: Aid recreation facility directors in overall management/operation of facility & programs; supervise facility in absence of director; extensive training required, including Safety, First Aid/CPR & Fire Safety; oversee daily program & staff activities; provide outstanding customer service when assisting the public; conduct program registrations, facility rentals, proper collection of fees in accordance with the City's policies/procedures; maintain records using Excel, Word, Publisher, Class Software; develop & distribute promotional/marketing information.

I very much enjoy my work environment with our patrons, particularly our youth programs, my co-workers, and my supervisors; fun, yet steadily busy environment; always keeps you on your toes; always something new to learn.

The City of Raleigh has a policy for all part time employees that they cannot work more than 999 hours in a year. It is extremely difficult to get full time work within the city as a vast portion of their positions are only part time. It is very difficult to maintain a consistent number of hours and budget accordingly.
Pros
working with the public and with children, fun & busy work environment, great co-workers and supervisors
Cons
limited to 999 hours per year per City of Raleigh policy, extremely difficult to get full-time hours
productive and fun
Camp Director (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 20, 2017
Working here every summer for six years really taught me a lot about working with different personalities. Becoming a manager over peers that used to be on my same level was a tough transition but they were respectful as I set the bar. There is a lot of autonomy with this job but transparency is a must!
Pros
fun
Cons
tiring
Fun and exciting place to work
Planning & Zoning Administrator (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 11, 2017
Check email and phone message at the beginning of each day, assist customers and administer the zoning ordinance daily, work in office environment, Interact with customers to assist them get their projects and plans approved and ready for permitting.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Healthcare is excellent
Very busy always something to do and great people to work with
Plant Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 20, 2017
Great training people always willing to help when it is needed fun environment superior management great opportunity to learn new things love the schools and and the pay is great
Pros
Great people to work with, great pay, great benifits
Productive work place, fun environment
Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaFebruary 14, 2017
Working with the city is amazing. Dealing with new and interesting personalities every single day. Always getting to meet somebody new and also welcomed to more jobs meeting difffent people.
Pros
Field trips, informative training, free lunches
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 10, 2017
I have been working at City of Raleigh full-time (More than 3 years)
Great people at some levels of the company. Joining City of Raleigh was like joining a family and everyone is supportive of each other and has a great time together. As family members we all have our moments. The culture could be a bit better
Flexible and Fun Workplace
Year Round Youth Director (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 10, 2016
Working with City of Raleigh: Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources has been an excellent and fun experience. The hours are part-time and have a lot of flexibility, enabling many employees to have time to continue their education.
A fun place to work
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 31, 2016
I really enjoyed working for the CITY OF RALEIGH Amusement Park. My job taught me a lot about having fun. The management is cool.
Pros
longer breaks
Cons
No benefits
Senior Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 27, 2016
Was given plenty of time to get acclimated to City and office. Manager and staff are very knowledgeable, respectful of others opinions.
Great Workplace with a Stable Environment
GIS Technician (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 11, 2016
The City of Raleigh is a great place to work. The pay is competitive and the benefits are beyond competitive. The work environment is currently growing and becoming more interconnected. Raleigh is definitely a municipality that you should consider.
Pros
Great Benefits, Stability
Fun place to work, surrounded by nice, supportive people.
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 15, 2016
City of Raleigh is a great work experience. The employees and management are all kind, understanding, and supportive people. At this job, I learned time management, communication, and safety and hazard skills.
Nice town to live in, lots of mental spinning at the city
retired (Former Employee) –  uptownApril 4, 2016
Over emphasize voodoo economics such as LEED , "Sustainability' where they fund the department by the "money they save" over the long haul. Basically paying college phd / Masters kids to make themselves more valuable. Big on promoting minorities and woman, not so much a good place for men. Seems to be a trend these days. Lots of nepotism. Carefully planned job descriptions and promotions for family members at work here so be careful. Glad to be free from all that. Raleigh has become anti-progressive over the past few years since republicans took back the house and senate but the weather is nice. Typically under budget for building projects, but fund the H E double toothpicks out of "studies".
Pros
benefits retirement match
Cons
over study everything and do not reward people who "get the real work done"
fun place to work and friendly coworkers
youth baseball umpire (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 16, 2016
the parent would drop off the children, they would come running in with a smile and ready to have a fun day at summer camp. the kids are excited to be apart of the summer camp and for their baseball games
Great summer job
Summer Youth Employee (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 18, 2016
I learned a lot working with a team and power tools.. the only thing i didnt like was that it was just a summer job, so we always worked during very hot days
Pros
could eat lunch anywhere
Cons
working on very hot days
Solid standards and exceptional HR
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 29, 2016
Wonderful, their benefit office is setup well and easy to get a hold of. The city of Raleigh is a shining city and everything you think of it is true!
professional workplace
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 12, 2016
The work is sometimes demanding, but rewarding.
I learned how to work in several different positions, so cross-training is necessary.
The hardest part of the job is meeting the deadlines with immediate tasks due the same day.
Great Website
Mail Operation Clerk (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 27, 2015
My work day is Satisfying. I work independent in my current position. I have to be self-motivated. I have a lot of responsibilities. It requires me to be dependable, Time manageable to complete all my daily task.I sometimes get my work done way before time.
Benefits
Cons
Trying to meet Unreasonable demands.
very poor management ideals
Water Treatment Plant Operator A-Surface (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 3, 2015
look through the reviews and notice the trend that has developed for the water department before making a final decision about working there.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management policies and ideals.
summer Athletics intern
Athletics Program Intern (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 27, 2015
days were long but rewarding in the end. in the evenings we visited the ballparks and other community centers to ensure that everything was running smoothly.
Fun, casual work environment
Recreation Leader, Recreation Aide (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 18, 2015
I loved working for Raleigh Parks and Recreation. The staff was great and so was the management. During transitional periods for the facility, there was a lot more pressure than usual to go the extra mile to make ends meet. There was a strong sense of community in this workplace. I learned work independence and responsibility in this job when my experience allowed me to assume a leadership position, holding keys, opening and closing the facility, overseeing the entire facility and staff when directors were not in.
Pros
Community, casual environment conducive to learning work skills
Cons
Transitions within the facility required a lot of work with less reward

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City Of Raleigh. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2