Please apply directly to this URl:
(Special Needs Program)
Final Filing Date: April 3, 2013** (Opened March 13, 2013)
(Salary includes employee paid retirement contribution)
The recruitment for this position may close any time after 14 days from the date it first posted if sufficient applications from qualified applicants are received. Therefore, it is important to submit your application as soon as possible
The City of Redwood City is seeking an energetic, team oriented and creative self-starter to fill the full-time position of Recreation and Community Services Program Coordinator I. The current opening is in the Community Services Unit’s special needs program. Under the direction of the Parks, Recreation and Community Services Manager, this position will be developing and executing pre and after-school, and summer recreation programs for developmentally disabled and physically limited young adults and adults. Hours may vary and include morning, afternoon, and evening hours Monday through Friday, based on program needs.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for working in special needs recreation and working with seniors, be an enthusiastic team player and at the same time have the ability to work independently, understand the value of establishing partnerships with other groups, agencies and organizations, and will also have excellent organizational and customer service methods and practices. The ideal candidate will also have the ability to: multi-task; coordinate and organize a variety of classes and camps; use graphic art and writing skills to prepare and distribute publicity and registration information on programs; select and evaluate instructors and volunteers; identify methods to maximize service effectiveness and efficiency; and have the desire to work in a creative environment.
Typical duties will include, but are not limited to, the following: Plan, implement, supervise social and recreation activities; develop materials and techniques as appropriate to promote programs; coordinate services with family care givers and other service providers including non-profits; coordinate information and referral services for seniors; network with area agencies to coordinate recreation programs; assume responsibility for facilities, scheduling, setup of activities; arrange purchases and payments necessary for the program; transport participants in a passenger van to and from events; plan and execute special events including lunches, dinners, flu shots and tax returns; work within the City financial and budget systems; recruit, hire, train, supervise and evaluate part-time employees and volunteers; manage center scheduling including instructors, facilities and equipment; identify areas of concern regarding performance, safety or other factors and resolve as quickly as possible or report issues to the appropriate supervisor; collect information and complete necessary records and reports; assist in the marketing of programs including the creation of graphic materials, use of public service and other media outlets and on site appearances at schools, libraries and community events; respond to inquiries from the public; assist in the evaluation of classes and camps; help set up a customer retention program; help produce the Recreation Guide; set up and enter data into the Safari system; implement safe work procedures; perform other related duties as assigned.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education & Experience
Education equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major work in recreation, business, physical education, public administration or related field is required, along with two years of increasingly responsible work experience in recreation involving program supervision and planning of which at least six months involves working with special populations and/or seniors (volunteer work accepted), and significant knowledge of program implementation and experience working in a collaborative setting. Experience with recreation software, the Web and Microsoft Office Suite needed. Experience with Adobe InDesign is a big plus.
Must possess a valid California Driver's License and satisfactory driving record, and be physically capable of performing the essential job functions of this classification.
- Needs of the developmentally disabled and physically challenged population.
- Principles and practices for implementing a variety of recreation and community services programs.
- Developing appropriate program content for a variety of specialized community recreation activities.
- Methods used to promote and encourage participation in various programs.
- Acceptable safety standards and precautions for department programs.
- Customer service principles as applied to recreation and community services programming.
- Recreation software, the Web and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Coordinate, organize and evaluate a variety of recreation and community services activities.
- Use a personal computer and basic computer software programs.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of records and reports as assigned.
- Read and interpret City, Department and Division policies and procedures.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Coordinate activities within the department as well as with other departments and agencies.
- Schedule and evaluate contract instructors and volunteers.
- Establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Please apply directly to this URl:
Applications may be obtained in one of the following ways:
1. Apply online at www.calopps.org, Member City: Redwood City
2. Visit our web site @ www.redwoodcity.org to print the application form
3. Call our 24-hour Job Hotline at (650) 780-7292.
4. Visit the City of Redwood City Department of Human Resources (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm) at 1017 Middlefield Road, Redwood City, California 94063
Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process, should advise the Department of Human Resources upon submittal of application.
All applications and supporting materials will be reviewed for neatness, accuracy, completion, relevant education, experience, training and other job related qualifications. The most appropriately qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the testing process. The specifics of the testing process will be provided to those qualifying candidates. Prior to appointment, candidates will be required to pass a physical examination, at no cost to the candidate. Also prior to appointment, candidates will be required to pass a background check at no cost to the candidate. Final appointment will be made by the Parks, Recreation and Community Services Director. The Immigration Act of 1986 requires proof of identity and eligibility for employment at date of hire.
**The recruitment for this position may close any time after 14 days from the date it first posted if sufficient applications from qualified applicants are received. Therefore, it is important to submit your application as soon as possible.
The successful candidate will enjoy the following benefits:
- Public Employees Retirement System (PERS)
- Opportunity to select from a variety of health plans that are administered by PERS under a cafeteria plan including health insurance, health care and dependent care reimbursement
- Dental & vision insurance
- Vacation at 10 days per year to 25 days after 20 years
- Sick leave of 12 days per year
- Fourteen paid holidays per year
- Three days bereavement leave
The City of Redwood City is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
NOTE: Earnings from this job are not covered under Social Security. When you retire you may receive a pension based on earnings from this job. If you do, your pension may affect the amount of Social Security benefits you may receive. For more information go to www.socialsecurity.gov/form1945
We are an exceptional organization and a leader in the Bay Area. The values that guide us are:
- EXCELLENCE: Passion to do our best in each moment.
- INTEGRITY: Do the right thing, not the easy thing.
- SERVICE: We care and it makes a difference.
- CREATIVITY: Freedom to imagine and courage to act.
THE CITY OF REDWOOD CITY IS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK!
Note: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.