City Of Renton Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Great benefits if you want to coast
Public Works Employee (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJune 12, 2017
Not challenging. It's all union so no incentive to do better for many and no rewards for individual contributors. Managers rarely promoted from within. Stereotypical city job. No education benefits and any job-related training is hard to come by.
Pros
free unlimited transit pass, good benefits, CAO decent guy
Cons
no incentive to over-achieve, management doesn't do annual reviews
Rewarding Chances to Give Back
Specialized Recreation Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAMay 13, 2017
Incredible opportunity to work with diverse populations. Fun, yet at the same time serious, work. Volunteer position, but the personal rewards are plentiful.
Pros
People
Cons
Play/drama was cancelled - several stories why - loved actors and director
Busy workplace, single programmer staff, others in IT work on individual projects.
Sr. Systems Analyst/Programmer (Former Employee) –  City of Renton, WAJanuary 25, 2017
Busy work place.
Too much to accomplish for one programmer.
BA's typically deploy and work with out of the box software and maintain and upgrade it with no programming skills.

A typical mistake may go as follows: "Someone in public works said you did somethin wrong or they did not like you", "what did they say" I ask, "I don't remember" my manager states, "Who said it?" I ask, "I don't remember" manager states, "Someone in court said they did not like you or you did something wrong. Repeat same verbage as Public Works.

Why mention anything if you manager can't remember who said it, what they said and why?

It's a do it now and why is it not completed environment with no documentation on what you are required to do and no one to help testing. All you might get is it's not working but no one will take the time to tell you what the problem is.
Pros
Pays well once you are there more than 2 years, lots of vacation and benefits.
Cons
Very bad management, hostile upper management, no communication with management or other departments.
Clearly defined role, positive work environment.
Pro Shop Staff (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAApril 3, 2016
Managed daily customer transactions, collecting money for greens fees, driving range, and merchandise. I learned time management, communication skills, handling difficult customers, and learned what it is like to work in the customer service industry. Positive relationship with co-workers, boss, and upper management.
Pros
Free Golf
Cons
Challenging customers
great summer job
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAMarch 21, 2016
Was a great summer job and liked my co-workers. Learned a lot about customer service and dealing with the public. Loved working outside everyday.
Great summer atmosphere that allowed responsibility and fun in equal measures
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Renton, WASeptember 2, 2015
A great place to work, and although it's only summer seasonal, I worked there for 8 seasons. Regular communication with customers and their needs kept me on my toes, but a reliable team helped alleviate the regular stressful burdens that came with a very busy environment. Typically would work either 4 or 8 hours days, perhaps longer, depending upon staffing needs.
Pros
Fun coworkers, great managers, working outdoors
Cons
Sometimes poor management and understaffing
City of Renton - Youth Recreation/ Day Camp Director
Recreation lead/camp director (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 18, 2014
My mornings with the City begin with meetings and planning. Normally on Monday mornings, I review the weekly schedule with my fellow directors, and assign duties to the recreation staff; the staff will then follow the given directions.

For the past seven years, my time with the City of Renton has been quite the learning experience. I have gained experience through growth and management responsibilities. All in all, this job has provided me with a skills set that I can apply in my future career.
Pros
Working with youth and teenaged community
Cons
Budget cuts and lack of work
Municipal government is a great place to be. Gives one a solid sense of responsibility of not only a running a company but handling taxpayers $'s
Secretary I (Former Employee) –  1055 S Grady WayJanuary 19, 2013
The positions I held had the caviat of "opther duites as assigned". I was in a non-union, management positon so if it took all night... the job still got done. It was a very hectic pace, but I found that I thrived in that environment. I was able to accommodate for anything that was tossed at me and succeeded in each task well beyond hopes or expecttionsof supervisors.
Pros
excellent benefits, close working environment
Cons
nothing i can elaborate on!