City of Richmond, VA Employee Reviews

Hierarchy has collapsed forman have no control over crews, when you attempt to discipline subordinates they just run to human resources
Forman/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 23, 2016
Old and corrupt, 8th oldest active water infrastructure in the United States dense old and always breaking down, poor pay, horrible retirement, and the field office is located in one of the most dangerous parts of the city
Pros
Job security
Cons
Lousy benefits
Routine and Rarely eventful
Child Care Case Manager Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 5, 2016
If you have the initiative, it gives your all the free training and resources you need to advance yourself.

Unfortunately depending on where you are there is high turnover so co worker relationships are constantly changing.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
Not much support from management
Work place
Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 4, 2016
Progressive fast pace work environment. flexible work days, awesome coworkers, ok benefig plan. Overall this is a good experience, how ever there are limitations to the pay. Professionals can easily find work at other places with identical duties, yet the pay is not compatible.
Pros
Flexiability
Cons
Pay
Excellent workplace with many opportunities to grow
Instrument & Control Technician Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Water Purification Plant, Richmond, VANovember 6, 2016
Many opportunities exist. Many capital improvement projects under way to improve water quality process and control. Many opportunities to learn and grow. Excellent benefits package.
Toxic Work Environment
Administrative Project Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 19, 2016
This place has become a very toxic work environment, it is a place in which you only get ahead because of who you know not what you know.
Pros
some co-workers make the place bareable
Cons
you have no chance to advance based on your merit or knowledge, just whom you are friends with.
A place to excel
Collection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 14, 2016
Inside the capital of Virigina is the city of Richmond. They have a lot of respectable and well mannered employees the best I've seen in a while. With excellent pay and benefits this is one of the best careers to retire from in Richmond.
Understaffed
Account Investigator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 8, 2016
I have learned a great deal in the position that i withhold with the City of Richmond. I wish there was more of an open door policy for suggestions to boost the morale in the work place. My co-workers are the complete best. There is not a hard part of the job it is just continuous work which is great for me. It does make the day go by fast. The most enjoyable part of my job is my work tour. I work 7:30am to 4:00pm. That works out great for me and my husband.
Exciting Work Environment
Contract Specialist - Construction/Design (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 30, 2016
The City offers great learning opportunities each day. Each procurement or project is unique and one will stay challenged.
Great work experience, hard to obtain a full time position
Cashier Cashier to Office Aid (Current Employee) –  Richmond, CAMay 30, 2016
Great atmosphere, always room for advancement and opportunities, but no health benefits and not a lot of full time job opportunities or overtime. But they are flexible with hours and always think of there employees.
Pros
Career and advancement opportunities
Cons
No full time available or health insurance
Great
HUMAN SERVICES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 4, 2016
Great place to work. They cater to working parents and very understanding of home situations. Growth potential and advancement.
I am a public servant performing to keep our waterways safe for public use.
Utility Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 30, 2016
My job offers room for advancement, good benefits and everyday is a new adventure at work. After 26 years on the job I am still learning because the technology of the industry is ever changing.
Pros
Rotating swing shift
Cons
Rotating swing shift
great place to work they match th kids perfect
foster parent (Former Employee) –  ricmondApril 5, 2016
get kids ready for svhool
prepare breakfast lunch and dinner
attend any meetings
take care of kids daily needs
teaching the kids right an wrong an keeping them focus on there education
Pros
seeing the kids smile is all i want to sre
Nice play to work for
Traffic Operations Engineer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 25, 2016
My typical day starts answering customer inquires as they occurred regarding various traffic engineering issues such as sign inquires, surveys and traffic calming requests, then attending meetings and working with co-workers to discuss and resolve traffic engineering issues as needed.
Pros
Pension benefits, Healthcare Dental Insurance and Life Insurance Death Benefits
Intense and exciting but dangerous work days
patrol officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 18, 2016
A typical day at work consists of compiling a list of citizens in the precinct's area of influence who have outstanding warrants on them. I search their last known addresses, relatives, jobs, incidents and associates and with that information I create a plan on how to best find and get in touch with them. After that plan is created myself and my partner execute the plan by visiting and talking to everyone that has ever associated with them on the daily basis in order to track them down. Once we track them down we place them under arrest and execute the outstanding warrant and transporting them to the justice center. The hardest part of the job is not knowing if you are coming home that night or if you'll be able to make a difference.
Pros
Great job security
benefits
The Greater Richmond Convention Center is managed by Spectra Venue Management (formerly Global Spectrum).
Box Office Manager (Former Employee) –  richmond, VANovember 21, 2015
At Spectra managed venues, we draw on innovation, collaboration, and engagement to create bottom-line impact for meeting planners, tradeshow organizers, and show producers. When you book at a Spectra managed venue, you can be assured that by utilizing our proven methods, innovative concepts, responsive customer service, and passionate industry professionals, a partnership with Spectra will turn your event into an unforgettable experience
Pros
Great Venue
Cons
Parking
Adrenaline flowing
Communications Officer IV (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 30, 2016
It can be stressful at times. There is great satisfaction of helping others. Pays well. At the end of the day everyone goes home.
City of Richmond
Project Manager - Lead (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 9, 2016
Great Job Security and Job Work Life Balance. Community involvement and impact. Safe environment; Fun environment.
The average tenure of the staff is 13 plus years.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Long Hours
IT Manager City (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 29, 2016
Have no opinion, great place to work. good benefits, Lacking in technology growth, but emerging in next generation cloud solutions.
Firefighting is the best job in the world. Every call, day is different. You never know what you will get to do when you show up for work.
Firefighter/EMT (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 9, 2015
I love the unknown of the Fire Service. One never knows what kind of calls they will get to respond to. Whether it is delivering a baby or pulling a victim from an accident to washing and waxing the kitchen floor, there are so many different scenarios that happen on a day to day basis. If you ask any firefighter what the hardest part of our job is, you will probably hear the calls with kids.
Pros
Camaraderie, different everyday, get to do things most people only imagine. Drive big red trucks with lights and sirens.
Cons
seeing and meeting people in worst case scenarios, away from family for 24 hours at a times
A typical work day meant monitoring and adjusting chemicals. I learned very good management skills.
Utility Plant Superintendent I (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 19, 2015
Have had numerous training in courses that deal with behavioral issues of employees. Learned through training class about my strength and weaknesses as a leader. Also have learned and become more keenly aware of the need for diversity in the work place.

Most days required the routine job of insuring that every aspect of the operation of the water plant was met. All regulatory issues have to be
met 24 hours per day 365 day per year.

Ninety-nine percent of co-workers and management were professional very was to work with.

Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing newer employees that understood the importance of their job no matter how monotonous
it could sometime get.
Pros
Great place for career growth and job stability
Cons
Government rules and policies guided by local politics.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Richmond, VA. Our community is ready to answer.