City of Rochester Employee Reviews

I enjoyed my staff and the work we did
Senior Professional Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  115 South AveJune 5, 2017
We worked to train people to improve their employment skills. To assist them with finding employment and break their cycle of poverty. Researching trends in training, employment, and retention so those we worked with could have a better way of life.

The work culture in my area was good but had its challenges at times. The difficult part of the job was building a good team with varying work styles and skills. Knowing how to place people together but wanting all staff to work cohesively.

We did great work with consistent changes.
Pros
love for the job
Cons
lack of trust
Excellent
Engineer Technician (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 20, 2017
I loved the benefits, people, and excellent opportunity's this position provided. Hope this will be acceptable for a review. Have a good day. Just need 150
Excellent benefits and pay, but management inconsistent
IT Transitions Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 20, 2017
I worked for the City of Rochester, NY for over 20 years in various capacities. Like any other government, management can change every 4 years. Unfortunately the management has changed quite a bit in the last few years, and a lot of employees have been hired who may have their own interests at heart instead of the City's. Management currently is inconsistent and lacks in knowledge. Some positions within the City have very regular hours, and time off can easily be taken. Others work well over the 40 per week, and have to really work hard to be able to take time off.
Pros
Benefits, time off, pay.
Cons
Inconsistent management, who you know not your work for promotion.
having a good relationship with coworkers and customer
Maintenance Mechanic I (Current Employee) –  PSB 185 ExchangeFebruary 17, 2017
having a good relationship with co-workers and customers and by being at work on time every day and treat your co-workers and customers with respect
Pros
Heaven good benefits
Cons
I have none
Learned many things
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 12, 2017
Doing this job is more than just watching swimmers, we had to stay sharp on our skills and agility to perform the job effectively. The most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that I was capable of keeping the facility safe.
Pros
Family work environment
Cons
Seasonal employment
Environmental Services Seasonal Laborer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 29, 2017
Really liked working there, good work environment. People help you out when you are stuck. But for the most part, you pretty much know what to do, and the day goes by quick.
Public
Microfilm Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 28, 2016
Working with the public on a daily bases was one of the thing I ready enjoy working for the City of Rochester. I work to help people to find historic records.
Great people
Public Safety Aide (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 16, 2016
I was only here a short time with an internship through the college I was attending years ago. The experience was a great opportunity, although working overnights at the time wasn't so fun.
Very fun workplace. Very professional.
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 29, 2016
Typical day at work was starting with swim lessons then lunch then moving on to the afternoon shift.
Management was amazing!
I had the best co workers ever! Serious when we needed to be. Always on our toes. & fun! Never a boring moment while working with my mangers.
internship filing, faxing, courts
Court Reporter Internship - Rochester City Court (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 12, 2016
you go in filing and faxes any legal documents for the courts. answer and incoming calls and direct them to the right person. something you have to do a mail run . You might be assigned to the courts, or jail room for observation on the offenders. the people that taught me was patience and willing to show me how their policy work. nothing to hard about the job , you just have to stay on top on everything. and if you had questions the co- working did not have any problems shoeing you the right way. I enjoy working with the different co0- working and experiencing hoe to document different event that was going on. you also get a chance to work and meet the different duty and some days do a ride along with them.
Pros
team players, gtreeay work experiences
Cons
na
Good Job
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 14, 2016
Good steady work, people are great to work with. Job security a lot of down time. I get to meet new people and every day is a new experience.
Fun, always exiting
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 20, 2016
The typical day at this job Is very fun,we play games and entertain the children with creative games and workshops. We provided a safe place for young minds to explore new things and give them a safe place where they can interact with others form different backgrounds and ethnicity.
Pros
environment
Cons
seasonal
Researcher / Committee Member (Current Employee) –  Rochester, INMarch 21, 2016
Very enjoyable work environment
Developed many skills
Excellent management and leadership
Worked with an experience committee
Allowed to work independently and given significant responsibility
Great Work place
Americorps Volunteer Worker Human Services (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 28, 2016
Great work environment. Love that its always work to do. Love that we'er really making a change in our clients lives. My co- workers and Management are a great team. Team work is amazing its very balanced. Hardest part of my job is watching some clients spiral down hill because they won't comply with the program.
productive work pace
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 15, 2015
work wityh kids provide many different programs for them to do all year round . ranging from all ages .from football leagues to basketball leagues we also offer free meals for all kids under 18 years of age .
City Counsel
city administrator (Former Employee) –  214 Carothers AveNovember 30, 2015
Great group of people to work with. Very supportive. Was given the ability to complete projects with the support of counsel and the City.
Pros
Ability to use my skills
Cons
Low pay
diverse group of people
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 24, 2015
Loved my job. Learned new things daily about laws, city codes and violations. Worked with various agencies of authority and was able to learn a great deal of information from them about their jobs and the daily risks and rewards they encounter.
Pros
Monday through Friday work week
Cons
paid parking
Fun and helpful workplace
PLAYGROUND SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 22, 2015
The staff at this agency treats the children as their own. They are always encouraging youth to do the right thing and to always be a leader.
N/a
Parking Facilities Operations Manager/Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 9, 2015
My worksite is a somewhat of a bureaucratic culture in which employees advance based on favor. I have rarely witnessed advancements based on fairness or what an individual has to bring to the agency.

In other words, it is very unusual to have advanced education and constantly developing but never gaining or obtaining new opportunities (depending on who you know). As a local government agency, I'd give the lowest rating in comparison to County or State Government in the geographical area.

Some managerial staff refers to employees for training of systems. It can be very unorganized (no work consistency), and employee insurance packages can be of very low quality.

Otherwise, there is leniency for time off for personal business outside of work hours and it is great to have a general income at the time. However, with a MBA and DBA (ABD), the title I have is not nearly relevant, nor has any opportunties been offered even after civil service exam completions.
Pros
Easier Time Off
Cons
No advancement, Low Morale, Bureaucratic, Employee Demoting Practices
energetic and fun place to work with some crazyness.
Assitant Director (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 9, 2015
i truly enjoy working for the City Of Rochetser i look forward to coming in to work on daily basis. my director is an awesome person am learning so much from working with her .Coworkers are hard workers and we definatley always have each others back.Coming to work everyday is an adventure

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Rochester. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4