City of Rochester Employee Reviews in United States

N/a
Parking Facilities Operations Manager/Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 9, 2015
My worksite is a somewhat of a bureaucratic culture in which employees advance based on favor. I have rarely witnessed advancements based on fairness or what an individual has to bring to the agency.

In other words, it is very unusual to have advanced education and constantly developing but never gaining or obtaining new opportunities (depending on who you know). As a local government agency, I'd give the lowest rating in comparison to County or State Government in the geographical area.

Some managerial staff refers to employees for training of systems. It can be very unorganized (no work consistency), and employee insurance packages can be of very low quality.

Otherwise, there is leniency for time off for personal business outside of work hours and it is great to have a general income at the time. However, with a MBA and DBA (ABD), the title I have is not nearly relevant, nor has any opportunties been offered even after civil service exam completions.
Pros
Easier Time Off
Cons
No advancement, Low Morale, Bureaucratic, Employee Demoting Practices
Great Work place
Americorps Volunteer Worker Human Services (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 28, 2016
Great work environment. Love that its always work to do. Love that we'er really making a change in our clients lives. My co- workers and Management are a great team. Team work is amazing its very balanced. Hardest part of my job is watching some clients spiral down hill because they won't comply with the program.
Researcher / Committee Member (Current Employee) –  Rochester, INMarch 21, 2016
Very enjoyable work environment
Developed many skills
Excellent management and leadership
Worked with an experience committee
Allowed to work independently and given significant responsibility
Fun, always exiting
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 20, 2016
The typical day at this job Is very fun,we play games and entertain the children with creative games and workshops. We provided a safe place for young minds to explore new things and give them a safe place where they can interact with others form different backgrounds and ethnicity.
Pros
environment
Cons
seasonal
Good Job
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 14, 2016
Good steady work, people are great to work with. Job security a lot of down time. I get to meet new people and every day is a new experience.
good place to retire at
IT person (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJune 29, 2015
slow pace which is a nice change from high stress corporate. lots of bs with managers and games but you have to expect that at public sector. you have to deal with the blame game and its mostly all about who you don't tick off. the union is nice to have in your corner and the benefits are out of this world good. best city paying job you will find is at Rochester they pay higher than most city govs do. wish I hadn't left.
Pros
benefits and comp
Cons
tasks tend to be too high to reach. lots of hot potato.
productive work pace
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 15, 2015
work wityh kids provide many different programs for them to do all year round . ranging from all ages .from football leagues to basketball leagues we also offer free meals for all kids under 18 years of age .
City Counsel
city administrator (Former Employee) –  214 Carothers AveNovember 30, 2015
Great group of people to work with. Very supportive. Was given the ability to complete projects with the support of counsel and the City.
Pros
Ability to use my skills
Cons
Low pay
energetic and fun place to work with some crazyness.
Assitant Director (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 9, 2015
i truly enjoy working for the City Of Rochetser i look forward to coming in to work on daily basis. my director is an awesome person am learning so much from working with her .Coworkers are hard workers and we definatley always have each others back.Coming to work everyday is an adventure
diverse group of people
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 24, 2015
Loved my job. Learned new things daily about laws, city codes and violations. Worked with various agencies of authority and was able to learn a great deal of information from them about their jobs and the daily risks and rewards they encounter.
Pros
Monday through Friday work week
Cons
paid parking

Want to know more about City of Rochester?

Ask a question
Fun and helpful workplace
PLAYGROUND SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 22, 2015
The staff at this agency treats the children as their own. They are always encouraging youth to do the right thing and to always be a leader.
Run a afterschool program
Senior Recreation Assistant (RASA) (Current Employee) –  Rochester NYAugust 25, 2015
Help with homework, field trips, learning instruments, give back to the community and many other recreation things we do.
Pros
love working with kids
Cons
giving back to the community
Great Experience
Code Enforcement Inspector (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 14, 2015
Great Place to work and do good for the community. Great place to gain a variety of experience. Supervision and co-workers are great.
Benefits
Cons
Civil Service
working around children is fantastic
Locker Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 5, 2013
When i first would get there, i would check everything to make sure things are safe. I learned how to interact with older children. Management was excellent and very helpful. My co-workers were awesome and always happy and fun to be around. The hardest part of the job was sitting in the locker room for about an hour, since i am such an active person, i love to move. The most enjoyable part was the children that would come to swim
Pros
you could leave the job for lunch and lunch would be an hour
Cons
it would be really hot on the pool deck because there weren't any windows
Parks Department Employment Review
Grounds Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 19, 2014
This was the best job I ever had, and I wish I was still employed here! The City of Rochester Parks Department was a great place to work! Work hours were great (6:00a.m.-2:00p.m.)! Management was easy to work and get along with. The other employees were fairly helpful, and easy to get along with as well. Had I not had some problems with my drivers license years ago, I imagine I would still be working there today!
Pros
almost everything
Cons
old, beat up equipment
Fun Workplace
Seasonal Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 1, 2015
Creating games and recreational activities for kids and young adults. I enjoyed the problem-solving and helping the future of tomorrow
Opportunities for Advancement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverside CemeterySeptember 10, 2014
Hard work, coupled with successful civil service testing, pays off when you work for the City of Rochester. Each department and bureau have unique characteristics, but there is great opportunity to succeed in public service.
Pros
benefits and pension
Cons
sometimes rigid bureaucracy
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  New yorkJune 10, 2015
Good hard working ladies and gentleman, I learned how to mutil-task. the hardest part my job is not a enough of manpower.
Fun, learning and energetic workplace
Summer of Opportunity Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 3, 2014
In the morning it would be awfully slow; only two kids would show up. In the afternoon a whole bunch of kids would come in for lunch and ask to play basketball or board games. Throughout my experience here I learned that many of these kids do not have role models, supportive homes, or a lot of clothes to wear or food at home. The hardest part of this job was seeing these kids not act like kids because they looked after the behavior they see at home. The most enjoyable part of this job was working together with my coworkers to be the best role models we can be for these kids.
Pros
being a role model to the kids
Cons
going to meetings every two weeks
job security
Park patrol/Security officer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 27, 2014
Government job gives a a place where you can take your career in a whole lot of different directions.
If you work in Government, you work for the Nation's upliftment which is your upliftment, and if you work in a private sector, you are spending your time and energy to make a few individuals affluent !

4.5