City of Rochester Employee Reviews in United States

Fun, always exiting
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 20, 2016
The typical day at this job Is very fun,we play games and entertain the children with creative games and workshops. We provided a safe place for young minds to explore new things and give them a safe place where they can interact with others form different backgrounds and ethnicity.
Pros
environment
Cons
seasonal
Researcher / Committee Member (Current Employee) –  Rochester, INMarch 21, 2016
Very enjoyable work environment
Developed many skills
Excellent management and leadership
Worked with an experience committee
Allowed to work independently and given significant responsibility
Great Work place
Americorps Volunteer Worker Human Services (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 28, 2016
Great work environment. Love that its always work to do. Love that we'er really making a change in our clients lives. My co- workers and Management are a great team. Team work is amazing its very balanced. Hardest part of my job is watching some clients spiral down hill because they won't comply with the program.
productive work pace
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 15, 2015
work wityh kids provide many different programs for them to do all year round . ranging from all ages .from football leagues to basketball leagues we also offer free meals for all kids under 18 years of age .
City Counsel
city administrator (Former Employee) –  214 Carothers AveNovember 30, 2015
Great group of people to work with. Very supportive. Was given the ability to complete projects with the support of counsel and the City.
Pros
Ability to use my skills
Cons
Low pay
diverse group of people
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 24, 2015
Loved my job. Learned new things daily about laws, city codes and violations. Worked with various agencies of authority and was able to learn a great deal of information from them about their jobs and the daily risks and rewards they encounter.
Pros
Monday through Friday work week
Cons
paid parking
Fun and helpful workplace
PLAYGROUND SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 22, 2015
The staff at this agency treats the children as their own. They are always encouraging youth to do the right thing and to always be a leader.
N/a
Parking Facilities Operations Manager/Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 9, 2015
My worksite is a somewhat of a bureaucratic culture in which employees advance based on favor. I have rarely witnessed advancements based on fairness or what an individual has to bring to the agency.

In other words, it is very unusual to have advanced education and constantly developing but never gaining or obtaining new opportunities (depending on who you know). As a local government agency, I'd give the lowest rating in comparison to County or State Government in the geographical area.

Some managerial staff refers to employees for training of systems. It can be very unorganized (no work consistency), and employee insurance packages can be of very low quality.

Otherwise, there is leniency for time off for personal business outside of work hours and it is great to have a general income at the time. However, with a MBA and DBA (ABD), the title I have is not nearly relevant, nor has any opportunties been offered even after civil service exam completions.
Pros
Easier Time Off
Cons
No advancement, Low Morale, Bureaucratic, Employee Demoting Practices
energetic and fun place to work with some crazyness.
Assitant Director (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 9, 2015
i truly enjoy working for the City Of Rochetser i look forward to coming in to work on daily basis. my director is an awesome person am learning so much from working with her .Coworkers are hard workers and we definatley always have each others back.Coming to work everyday is an adventure
Run a afterschool program
Senior Recreation Assistant (RASA) (Current Employee) –  Rochester NYAugust 25, 2015
Help with homework, field trips, learning instruments, give back to the community and many other recreation things we do.
Pros
love working with kids
Cons
giving back to the community
Fun Workplace
Seasonal Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 1, 2015
Creating games and recreational activities for kids and young adults. I enjoyed the problem-solving and helping the future of tomorrow
good place to retire at
IT person (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJune 29, 2015
slow pace which is a nice change from high stress corporate. lots of bs with managers and games but you have to expect that at public sector. you have to deal with the blame game and its mostly all about who you don't tick off. the union is nice to have in your corner and the benefits are out of this world good. best city paying job you will find is at Rochester they pay higher than most city govs do. wish I hadn't left.
Pros
benefits and comp
Cons
tasks tend to be too high to reach. lots of hot potato.
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  New yorkJune 10, 2015
Good hard working ladies and gentleman, I learned how to mutil-task. the hardest part my job is not a enough of manpower.
Great Experience
Code Enforcement Inspector (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 14, 2015
Great Place to work and do good for the community. Great place to gain a variety of experience. Supervision and co-workers are great.
Benefits
Cons
Civil Service
Marketing and Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 28, 2015
Working for a government agency is difficult but very rewarding
productive place to work
Human Resources Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rochester NYNovember 12, 2014
Everyday Iooked forward to entering the building. Working with professional people in a professional setting was awesome.
Pros
grow and develope
Cons
no free parking
Fun, learning and energetic workplace
Summer of Opportunity Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 3, 2014
In the morning it would be awfully slow; only two kids would show up. In the afternoon a whole bunch of kids would come in for lunch and ask to play basketball or board games. Throughout my experience here I learned that many of these kids do not have role models, supportive homes, or a lot of clothes to wear or food at home. The hardest part of this job was seeing these kids not act like kids because they looked after the behavior they see at home. The most enjoyable part of this job was working together with my coworkers to be the best role models we can be for these kids.
Pros
being a role model to the kids
Cons
going to meetings every two weeks
see below
Seasonal Laborer (Current Employee) –  rochester nySeptember 18, 2014
I enjoy working out doors. The team that I worked allowed me to utilize leadership skills. This position allows me to interact with the community and get customer feed back to provide better service. The hardest part is the winter months due extreme temperatures. The most enjoyable part of the job there is always a new project to work on every day/so every day is different.
Opportunities for Advancement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverside CemeterySeptember 10, 2014
Hard work, coupled with successful civil service testing, pays off when you work for the City of Rochester. Each department and bureau have unique characteristics, but there is great opportunity to succeed in public service.
Pros
benefits and pension
Cons
sometimes rigid bureaucracy
Atmosphere changes with each Administration. I weathered 4 while I was there. Extreme deficit did me in.
Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 21, 2014
Jobs are not safe anywhere. Most administrative departments must cut jobs to meet the mandatory yearly budget cuts.
Pros
professional team of coworkers. very diverse labor pool and administrators, directors, commissioners.
Cons
each administration rewards supporters with jobs.

4.5