City of Rochester Employee Reviews

N/A
Parking Facilities Operations Manager/Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 9, 2015
My worksite is a somewhat of a bureaucratic culture in which employees advance based on favor. I have rarely witnessed advancements based on fairness or what an individual has to bring to the agency.

In other words, it is very unusual to have advanced education and constantly developing but never gaining or obtaining new opportunities (depending on who you know). As a local government agency, I'd give the lowest rating in comparison to County or State Government in the geographical area.

Some managerial staff refers to employees for training of systems. It can be very unorganized (no work consistency), and employee insurance packages can be of very low quality.

Otherwise, there is leniency for time off for personal business outside of work hours and it is great to have a general income at the time. However, with a MBA and DBA (ABD), the title I have is not nearly relevant, nor has any opportunties been offered even after civil service exam completions.
Pros
Easier Time Off
Cons
No advancement, Low Morale, Bureaucratic, Employee Demoting Practices
Fun, learning and energetic workplace
Summer of Opportunity Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 3, 2014
In the morning it would be awfully slow; only two kids would show up. In the afternoon a whole bunch of kids would come in for lunch and ask to play basketball or board games. Throughout my experience here I learned that many of these kids do not have role models, supportive homes, or a lot of clothes to wear or food at home. The hardest part of this job was seeing these kids not act like kids because they looked after the behavior they see at home. The most enjoyable part of this job was working together with my coworkers to be the best role models we can be for these kids.
Pros
being a role model to the kids
Cons
going to meetings every two weeks
working around children is fantastic
Locker Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 5, 2013
When i first would get there, i would check everything to make sure things are safe. I learned how to interact with older children. Management was excellent and very helpful. My co-workers were awesome and always happy and fun to be around. The hardest part of the job was sitting in the locker room for about an hour, since i am such an active person, i love to move. The most enjoyable part was the children that would come to swim
Pros
you could leave the job for lunch and lunch would be an hour
Cons
it would be really hot on the pool deck because there weren't any windows
Productive and fun workplace for both the staff and the children
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 30, 2013
Since I have been working for the City of Rochester Summer Recreational programs I have enjoyed myself greatly. I enjoy wokring with the youth and providing them with entertainment and learning over the summer. I like this program because it is set hours weekly with the weekends off. The staff work well together as a team and aim to improve the environment for the youth.
Pros
working with the children, working as a team
Cons
managing the children if you are not able to do this effectively
good place to retire at
IT person (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJune 29, 2015
slow pace which is a nice change from high stress corporate. lots of bs with managers and games but you have to expect that at public sector. you have to deal with the blame game and its mostly all about who you don't tick off. the union is nice to have in your corner and the benefits are out of this world good. best city paying job you will find is at Rochester they pay higher than most city govs do. wish I hadn't left.
Pros
benefits and comp
Cons
tasks tend to be too high to reach. lots of hot potato.
Parks Department Employment Review
Grounds Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 19, 2014
This was the best job I ever had, and I wish I was still employed here! The City of Rochester Parks Department was a great place to work! Work hours were great (6:00a.m.-2:00p.m.)! Management was easy to work and get along with. The other employees were fairly helpful, and easy to get along with as well. Had I not had some problems with my drivers license years ago, I imagine I would still be working there today!
Pros
almost everything
Cons
old, beat up equipment
productive work place
groundkeeper (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 28, 2013
communication
i learned to be a great people person i got along with my team members very well
that hardest part of about the job it was only seasonal
the most enjoyable thing about working with the city it mabe me a stronger team leader and open up alot of communication skill that i didnt know i had my cowroker was very fun to be around and made the job more exciting to wake up and come to everyday
Pros
communication, people person
Cons
its always a job u can come back to
see below
Seasonal Laborer (Current Employee) –  rochester nySeptember 18, 2014
I enjoy working out doors. The team that I worked allowed me to utilize leadership skills. This position allows me to interact with the community and get customer feed back to provide better service. The hardest part is the winter months due extreme temperatures. The most enjoyable part of the job there is always a new project to work on every day/so every day is different.
Atmosphere changes with each Administration. I weathered 4 while I was there. Extreme deficit did me in.
Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 21, 2014
Jobs are not safe anywhere. Most administrative departments must cut jobs to meet the mandatory yearly budget cuts.
Pros
professional team of coworkers. very diverse labor pool and administrators, directors, commissioners.
Cons
each administration rewards supporters with jobs.
energetic and fun place to work with some crazyness.
Assitant Director (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 9, 2015
i truly enjoy working for the City Of Rochetser i look forward to coming in to work on daily basis. my director is an awesome person am learning so much from working with her .Coworkers are hard workers and we definatley always have each others back.Coming to work everyday is an adventure
Administrative/Customer Service Support Staff
Administrative Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 2, 2013
I rate the City of Rochester as wonderful place to work for. The area that I work with, is dealing with customers whether it's internal or external and let's not forget the personal contact. I enjoy helping people as well as learning new things when it comes to doing my job well.
job security
Park patrol/Security officer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 27, 2014
Government job gives a a place where you can take your career in a whole lot of different directions.
If you work in Government, you work for the Nation's upliftment which is your upliftment, and if you work in a private sector, you are spending your time and energy to make a few individuals affluent !
Training and teaching others...etc
Executive Assistant to the Assistant Commissioner (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 25, 2014
Currently I enjoy working with a great supervisor, and the ability to work directly with the community and helping with their needs.
Pros
policies and procedures set in place...national holiday off..etc
Cons
new administration changes and civil service
Opportunities for Advancement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverside CemeterySeptember 10, 2014
Hard work, coupled with successful civil service testing, pays off when you work for the City of Rochester. Each department and bureau have unique characteristics, but there is great opportunity to succeed in public service.
Pros
benefits and pension
Cons
sometimes rigid bureaucracy
diverse group of people
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 24, 2015
Loved my job. Learned new things daily about laws, city codes and violations. Worked with various agencies of authority and was able to learn a great deal of information from them about their jobs and the daily risks and rewards they encounter.
Pros
Monday through Friday work week
Cons
paid parking
My employment with the City of Rochester for the most part was very rewarding.
Property Inspector (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 25, 2013
I dealt with different customers both internal and external. I enjoyed using my customer service skills to satisfy the needs of both customers. Everyday presented different challenges which made my job exciting
Fun place to work with people in the community.
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 1, 2013
This was my favorite job to work because I was able to work with and meet so many people. The rec. center had so many things going on like sports, field trips, cook outs and parties.
Pros
fun fun people in that neighborhood.
Cons
wasn't enough full time positions.
productive workplace
Provisional Assistant stationary HVAC Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 19, 2013
Opportunities with maintenance such as changing filters, belts Repair of Pumps, motors, valves, Generators, chillers, walk in coolers, and cenTraVac units etc . Acquired skills with pool operations and Maintenance.
Productive position helping the general public
Senior Licensing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNNovember 22, 2011
Great postion and great place to work. I enjoyed my coworkers and everything about the postion. The City of Rochester was a great place to work!
Pros
working with the general public and helping others
Cons
no cons
productive work pace
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 15, 2015
work wityh kids provide many different programs for them to do all year round . ranging from all ages .from football leagues to basketball leagues we also offer free meals for all kids under 18 years of age .

4.5