City of Rochester Employee Reviews

Fun Workplace
Seasonal Recreation Assistant (Former Employee), Rochester, NYJuly 1, 2015
Creating games and recreational activities for kids and young adults. I enjoyed the problem-solving and helping the future of tomorrow
good place to retire at
IT person (Former Employee), Rochester, MNJune 29, 2015
Pros: benefits and comp
Cons: tasks tend to be too high to reach. lots of hot potato.
slow pace which is a nice change from high stress corporate. lots of bs with managers and games but you have to expect that at public sector. you have to deal with the blame game and its mostly all about who you don't tick off. the union is nice to have in your corner and the benefits are out of this world good. best city paying job you will find is at Rochester they pay higher than most city govs do. wish I hadn't left.
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee), New yorkJune 10, 2015
Good hard working ladies and gentleman, I learned how to mutil-task. the hardest part my job is not a enough of manpower.
Great Experience
Code Enforcement Inspector (Former Employee), Rochester, NYApril 14, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Civil Service
Great Place to work and do good for the community. Great place to gain a variety of experience. Supervision and co-workers are great.
Marketing and Communications Specialist (Former Employee), Rochester, NYJanuary 28, 2015
Working for a government agency is difficult but very rewarding
productive place to work
Human Resources Clerk (Former Employee), Rochester NYNovember 12, 2014
Pros: grow and develope
Cons: no free parking
Everyday Iooked forward to entering the building. Working with professional people in a professional setting was awesome.
Fun, learning and energetic workplace
Summer of Opportunity Youth Worker (Former Employee), Rochester, NYOctober 3, 2014
Pros: being a role model to the kids
Cons: going to meetings every two weeks
In the morning it would be awfully slow; only two kids would show up. In the afternoon a whole bunch of kids would come in for lunch and ask to play basketball or board games. Throughout my experience here I learned that many of these kids do not have role models, supportive homes, or a lot of clothes to wear or food at home. The hardest part of this job was seeing these kids not act like kids because they looked after the behavior they see at home. The most enjoyable part of this job was working together with my coworkers to be the best role models we can be for these kids.
see below
Seasonal Laborer (Current Employee), rochester nySeptember 18, 2014
I enjoy working out doors. The team that I worked allowed me to utilize leadership skills. This position allows me to interact with the community and get customer feed back to provide better service. The hardest part is the winter months due extreme temperatures. The most enjoyable part of the job there is always a new project to work on every day/so every day is different.
Opportunities for Advancement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Riverside CemeterySeptember 10, 2014
Pros: benefits and pension
Cons: sometimes rigid bureaucracy
Hard work, coupled with successful civil service testing, pays off when you work for the City of Rochester. Each department and bureau have unique characteristics, but there is great opportunity to succeed in public service.
Atmosphere changes with each Administration. I weathered 4 while I was there. Extreme deficit did me in.
Purchaser (Former Employee), Rochester, NYJune 21, 2014
Pros: professional team of coworkers. very diverse labor pool and administrators, directors, commissioners.
Cons: each administration rewards supporters with jobs.
Jobs are not safe anywhere. Most administrative departments must cut jobs to meet the mandatory yearly budget cuts.
rewarding job
Seasonal Laborer (Former Employee), Rochester New YorkMay 30, 2014
Pros: it allows you to become familar with the city and how ones tax dollars are spent
Cons: none i know of
I loved working for my city of Rochester New York ,because it allowed me to help make my city beautiful
Fantastic opportunity
Intern - IT Department Network Division (Former Employee), Rochester, NYMay 23, 2014
I was able to be part of a huge project that involved replacing all of the network equipment at each Fire station and Police station in the city.
Everyone is nice to work with and pleasant
City Councilman (Former Employee), Rochester, NYApril 1, 2014
Pros: nice people
Great place to work where the majority of people share the same views
Parks Department Employment Review
Grounds Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Rochester, NYMarch 19, 2014
Pros: almost everything
Cons: old, beat up equipment
This was the best job I ever had, and I wish I was still employed here! The City of Rochester Parks Department was a great place to work! Work hours were great (6:00a.m.-2:00p.m.)! Management was easy to work and get along with. The other employees were fairly helpful, and easy to get along with as well. Had I not had some problems with my drivers license years ago, I imagine I would still be working there today!
A good place to work for.
HUMAN RESOURCES INTERN/ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Rochester, MIMarch 12, 2014
Worked directly with the HR Manager she made my time there very productive.
Training and teaching others...etc
Executive Assistant to the Assistant Commissioner (Current Employee), Rochester, NYFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: policies and procedures set in place...national holiday off..etc
Cons: new administration changes and civil service
Currently I enjoy working with a great supervisor, and the ability to work directly with the community and helping with their needs.
basketball, soccer and football programs, pool and workout room
Coach Youth Soccer (Current Employee), Rochester, NYFebruary 23, 2014
rating based on part time job, great place to start in order to learn customer service, working with youth and managing records.
job security
Park patrol/Security officer (Former Employee), Rochester, NYJanuary 27, 2014
Government job gives a a place where you can take your career in a whole lot of different directions.
If you work in Government, you work for the Nation's upliftment which is your upliftment, and if you work in a private sector, you are spending your time and energy to make a few individuals affluent !
love working with kids
Recretional Leader (Former Employee), Rochester, NYSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: n/a
working with kids was the best and I had a lot of fun getting to know them. Also going on field trips.
interactive work place
Lifeguard (Former Employee), Rochester, NYAugust 21, 2013
Pros: lots of trainning
supervise pool or beach area in rotations
great co workers
hardest part is when there are no swimmers