City of Rochester Employee Reviews

having a good relationship with coworkers and customer
Maintenance Mechanic I (Current Employee) –  PSB 185 ExchangeFebruary 17, 2017
having a good relationship with co-workers and customers and by being at work on time every day and treat your co-workers and customers with respect
Pros
Heaven good benefits
Cons
I have none
internship filing, faxing, courts
Court Reporter Internship - Rochester City Court (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 12, 2016
you go in filing and faxes any legal documents for the courts. answer and incoming calls and direct them to the right person. something you have to do a mail run . You might be assigned to the courts, or jail room for observation on the offenders. the people that taught me was patience and willing to show me how their policy work. nothing to hard about the job , you just have to stay on top on everything. and if you had questions the co- working did not have any problems shoeing you the right way. I enjoy working with the different co0- working and experiencing hoe to document different event that was going on. you also get a chance to work and meet the different duty and some days do a ride along with them.
Pros
team players, gtreeay work experiences
Cons
na
Very fun workplace. Very professional.
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 29, 2016
Typical day at work was starting with swim lessons then lunch then moving on to the afternoon shift.
Management was amazing!
I had the best co workers ever! Serious when we needed to be. Always on our toes. & fun! Never a boring moment while working with my mangers.
Learned many things
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 12, 2017
Doing this job is more than just watching swimmers, we had to stay sharp on our skills and agility to perform the job effectively. The most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that I was capable of keeping the facility safe.
Pros
Family work environment
Cons
Seasonal employment
Great people
Public Safety Aide (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 16, 2016
I was only here a short time with an internship through the college I was attending years ago. The experience was a great opportunity, although working overnights at the time wasn't so fun.
Environmental Services Seasonal Laborer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 29, 2017
Really liked working there, good work environment. People help you out when you are stuck. But for the most part, you pretty much know what to do, and the day goes by quick.
Public
Microfilm Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 28, 2016
Working with the public on a daily bases was one of the thing I ready enjoy working for the City of Rochester. I work to help people to find historic records.
good place to retire at
IT person (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJune 29, 2015
slow pace which is a nice change from high stress corporate. lots of bs with managers and games but you have to expect that at public sector. you have to deal with the blame game and its mostly all about who you don't tick off. the union is nice to have in your corner and the benefits are out of this world good. best city paying job you will find is at Rochester they pay higher than most city govs do. wish I hadn't left.
Pros
benefits and comp
Cons
tasks tend to be too high to reach. lots of hot potato.
Good Job
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 14, 2016
Good steady work, people are great to work with. Job security a lot of down time. I get to meet new people and every day is a new experience.
Great Work place
Americorps Volunteer Worker Human Services (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 28, 2016
Great work environment. Love that its always work to do. Love that we'er really making a change in our clients lives. My co- workers and Management are a great team. Team work is amazing its very balanced. Hardest part of my job is watching some clients spiral down hill because they won't comply with the program.

Want to know more about City of Rochester?

Ask a question
Fun, always exiting
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 20, 2016
The typical day at this job Is very fun,we play games and entertain the children with creative games and workshops. We provided a safe place for young minds to explore new things and give them a safe place where they can interact with others form different backgrounds and ethnicity.
Pros
environment
Cons
seasonal
Opportunities for Advancement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverside CemeterySeptember 10, 2014
Hard work, coupled with successful civil service testing, pays off when you work for the City of Rochester. Each department and bureau have unique characteristics, but there is great opportunity to succeed in public service.
Pros
Benefits and Pension
Cons
Sometimes rigid bureaucracy
Researcher / Committee Member (Current Employee) –  Rochester, INMarch 21, 2016
Very enjoyable work environment
Developed many skills
Excellent management and leadership
Worked with an experience committee
Allowed to work independently and given significant responsibility
Great Experience
Code Enforcement Inspector (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 14, 2015
Great Place to work and do good for the community. Great place to gain a variety of experience. Supervision and co-workers are great.
Benefits
Cons
Civil Service
N/a
Parking Facilities Operations Manager/Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 9, 2015
My worksite is a somewhat of a bureaucratic culture in which employees advance based on favor. I have rarely witnessed advancements based on fairness or what an individual has to bring to the agency.

In other words, it is very unusual to have advanced education and constantly developing but never gaining or obtaining new opportunities (depending on who you know). As a local government agency, I'd give the lowest rating in comparison to County or State Government in the geographical area.

Some managerial staff refers to employees for training of systems. It can be very unorganized (no work consistency), and employee insurance packages can be of very low quality.

Otherwise, there is leniency for time off for personal business outside of work hours and it is great to have a general income at the time. However, with a MBA and DBA (ABD), the title I have is not nearly relevant, nor has any opportunties been offered even after civil service exam completions.
Pros
Easier Time Off
Cons
No advancement, Low Morale, Bureaucratic, Employee Demoting Practices
working around children is fantastic
Locker Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 5, 2013
When i first would get there, i would check everything to make sure things are safe. I learned how to interact with older children. Management was excellent and very helpful. My co-workers were awesome and always happy and fun to be around. The hardest part of the job was sitting in the locker room for about an hour, since i am such an active person, i love to move. The most enjoyable part was the children that would come to swim
Pros
you could leave the job for lunch and lunch would be an hour
Cons
it would be really hot on the pool deck because there weren't any windows
productive work pace
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 15, 2015
work wityh kids provide many different programs for them to do all year round . ranging from all ages .from football leagues to basketball leagues we also offer free meals for all kids under 18 years of age .
Parks Department Employment Review
Grounds Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 19, 2014
This was the best job I ever had, and I wish I was still employed here! The City of Rochester Parks Department was a great place to work! Work hours were great (6:00a.m.-2:00p.m.)! Management was easy to work and get along with. The other employees were fairly helpful, and easy to get along with as well. Had I not had some problems with my drivers license years ago, I imagine I would still be working there today!
Pros
Almost everything
Cons
Old, beat up equipment
City Counsel
city administrator (Former Employee) –  214 Carothers AveNovember 30, 2015
Great group of people to work with. Very supportive. Was given the ability to complete projects with the support of counsel and the City.
Pros
Ability to use my skills
Cons
Low pay
Fun, learning and energetic workplace
Summer of Opportunity Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 3, 2014
In the morning it would be awfully slow; only two kids would show up. In the afternoon a whole bunch of kids would come in for lunch and ask to play basketball or board games. Throughout my experience here I learned that many of these kids do not have role models, supportive homes, or a lot of clothes to wear or food at home. The hardest part of this job was seeing these kids not act like kids because they looked after the behavior they see at home. The most enjoyable part of this job was working together with my coworkers to be the best role models we can be for these kids.
Pros
Being a role model to the kids
Cons
Going to meetings every two weeks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Rochester. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4