City of Rochester Employee Reviews

Fun and helpful workplace
PLAYGROUND SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 22, 2015
The staff at this agency treats the children as their own. They are always encouraging youth to do the right thing and to always be a leader.
N/a
Parking Facilities Operations Manager/Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 9, 2015
My worksite is a somewhat of a bureaucratic culture in which employees advance based on favor. I have rarely witnessed advancements based on fairness or what an individual has to bring to the agency.

In other words, it is very unusual to have advanced education and constantly developing but never gaining or obtaining new opportunities (depending on who you know). As a local government agency, I'd give the lowest rating in comparison to County or State Government in the geographical area.

Some managerial staff refers to employees for training of systems. It can be very unorganized (no work consistency), and employee insurance packages can be of very low quality.

Otherwise, there is leniency for time off for personal business outside of work hours and it is great to have a general income at the time. However, with a MBA and DBA (ABD), the title I have is not nearly relevant, nor has any opportunties been offered even after civil service exam completions.
Pros
Easier Time Off
Cons
No advancement, Low Morale, Bureaucratic, Employee Demoting Practices
energetic and fun place to work with some crazyness.
Assitant Director (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 9, 2015
i truly enjoy working for the City Of Rochetser i look forward to coming in to work on daily basis. my director is an awesome person am learning so much from working with her .Coworkers are hard workers and we definatley always have each others back.Coming to work everyday is an adventure
Run a afterschool program
Senior Recreation Assistant (RASA) (Current Employee) –  Rochester NYAugust 25, 2015
Help with homework, field trips, learning instruments, give back to the community and many other recreation things we do.
Pros
love working with kids
Cons
giving back to the community
Fun Workplace
Seasonal Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 1, 2015
Creating games and recreational activities for kids and young adults. I enjoyed the problem-solving and helping the future of tomorrow
good place to retire at
IT person (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJune 29, 2015
slow pace which is a nice change from high stress corporate. lots of bs with managers and games but you have to expect that at public sector. you have to deal with the blame game and its mostly all about who you don't tick off. the union is nice to have in your corner and the benefits are out of this world good. best city paying job you will find is at Rochester they pay higher than most city govs do. wish I hadn't left.
Pros
benefits and comp
Cons
tasks tend to be too high to reach. lots of hot potato.
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  New yorkJune 10, 2015
Good hard working ladies and gentleman, I learned how to mutil-task. the hardest part my job is not a enough of manpower.
Great Experience
Code Enforcement Inspector (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 14, 2015
Great Place to work and do good for the community. Great place to gain a variety of experience. Supervision and co-workers are great.
Benefits
Cons
Civil Service
Marketing and Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 28, 2015
Working for a government agency is difficult but very rewarding
productive place to work
Human Resources Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rochester NYNovember 12, 2014
Everyday Iooked forward to entering the building. Working with professional people in a professional setting was awesome.
Pros
grow and develope
Cons
no free parking
Fun, learning and energetic workplace
Summer of Opportunity Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 3, 2014
In the morning it would be awfully slow; only two kids would show up. In the afternoon a whole bunch of kids would come in for lunch and ask to play basketball or board games. Throughout my experience here I learned that many of these kids do not have role models, supportive homes, or a lot of clothes to wear or food at home. The hardest part of this job was seeing these kids not act like kids because they looked after the behavior they see at home. The most enjoyable part of this job was working together with my coworkers to be the best role models we can be for these kids.
Pros
Being a role model to the kids
Cons
Going to meetings every two weeks
see below
Seasonal Laborer (Current Employee) –  rochester nySeptember 18, 2014
I enjoy working out doors. The team that I worked allowed me to utilize leadership skills. This position allows me to interact with the community and get customer feed back to provide better service. The hardest part is the winter months due extreme temperatures. The most enjoyable part of the job there is always a new project to work on every day/so every day is different.
Opportunities for Advancement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverside CemeterySeptember 10, 2014
Hard work, coupled with successful civil service testing, pays off when you work for the City of Rochester. Each department and bureau have unique characteristics, but there is great opportunity to succeed in public service.
Pros
Benefits and Pension
Cons
Sometimes rigid bureaucracy
Atmosphere changes with each Administration. I weathered 4 while I was there. Extreme deficit did me in.
Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 21, 2014
Jobs are not safe anywhere. Most administrative departments must cut jobs to meet the mandatory yearly budget cuts.
Pros
Professional team of coworkers. Very diverse labor pool and administrators, directors, commissioners.
Cons
Each administration rewards supporters with jobs.
Room for growth
Administrative Clerical Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 18, 2014
Busy.. Enjoy working for the city of rochester. Co-workers work very well together. Boss listen to our concerns
Pros
busy
Cons
not enough hours in a day
rewarding job
Seasonal Laborer (Former Employee) –  Rochester New YorkMay 30, 2014
I loved working for my city of Rochester New York ,because it allowed me to help make my city beautiful
Pros
It allows you to become familar with the city and how ones tax dollars are spent
Cons
none I know of
Fantastic opportunity
Intern - IT Department Network Division (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 23, 2014
I was able to be part of a huge project that involved replacing all of the network equipment at each Fire station and Police station in the city.
Everyone is nice to work with and pleasant
City Councilman (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 1, 2014
Great place to work where the majority of people share the same views
Pros
nice people
Parks Department Employment Review
Grounds Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 19, 2014
This was the best job I ever had, and I wish I was still employed here! The City of Rochester Parks Department was a great place to work! Work hours were great (6:00a.m.-2:00p.m.)! Management was easy to work and get along with. The other employees were fairly helpful, and easy to get along with as well. Had I not had some problems with my drivers license years ago, I imagine I would still be working there today!
Pros
Almost everything
Cons
Old, beat up equipment
A good place to work for.
HUMAN RESOURCES INTERN/ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIMarch 12, 2014
Worked directly with the HR Manager she made my time there very productive.