CITY OF SAN DIEGO

CITY OF SAN DIEGO United States Employee Reviews

Satisfying work for the public section
Program Manager (Current Employee), San DiegoMarch 2, 2015
8-5 work day
High energy work environment
Good balance of independent work and policy input
Hardest part of the job is the bureaucracy
Best part is working with great employees
new structure with opportunity to advance
Fleet Team Leader (Current Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 1, 2015
great place to work with opportunities to move around. there are plenty of options for becoming involved in different areas within the city.
great company to work for great people
Crew Leader (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: great companey and great people
Cons: good overall
great people learn many things everyday and i loved it it was challenging . the only thing i didn't like was the red tape ! politics
na
Environmental Specialist (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2015
Research and analysis for 2014 City of San Diego Climate Action Plan (CAP) implementation, preparing reports to be presented to City Council and other government panels.
LEED v4 EBO&M Certification- Currently working with senior staff to LEED v4 EBO&M certify City of San Diego facilities with individual credit qualification audits and responsibilities.
Energy Star Recertification of City of San Diego Ridgehaven Building using Energy Star Portfolio Manager. Conduct ASHRAE audits on entire facility. Ridgehaven scored in the 92nd Percentile (2014).
Development and implementation of the City of San Diego marketing, outreach and education program called the City of San Diego Green Business Network. Working with business improvement districts to install a new network of environmentally conscious small businesses.
Multi-agency coordination includes the Regional Energy Partnership, Green Cities California, and San Diego Regional Climate Collaborative; organizations include Carbon Disclosure Project and The Climate Registry; presentations include various public forums, meetings, trainings, and conferences.
Working for Enviromental betterment of the Community
Wastewater Plant Operator 2 (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 8, 2015
I worked in the Wastewater Treatment Dept.from 1993 until 2007

My work days were from 12pm until 10pm.....10hrs days..4 days a week. 7/24 Operation at all times

I would take water samples for lab analysis..add chemicals if needed..monitor machinery and other types of equip.such as ..pumps gauges flow meters aeration filters...monitor influent and effluent flows ....effluent flows discharged into the Pacific Ocean had to meet specific requirements per se Fed EPA standards...Calif.Coastal Comm.

Job consisted using state of the art computerized systems ..with an Operator monitoring the Control Board at all times...notifying crew by radio of any alarms in any designated areas of the plant ..cameras were also used in monitoring the Plant

I worked with a crew of 3 men and 1 Supervisor

Most enjoyable parts of job ..when we had a tour ..people from different countries or cities ..children from schools...and working right on the Pacific Ocean Coast..knowing that the discharge that I help with... was free of any Harmful Biosolids into the Environment
Calming fun
Bus Driver (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 18, 2014
slow paced good people
birthdays weddings special events covered for other companies
for a older couple who ran the company out of there home
my co-workers where family members of the company
i enjoyed working with them they where border patrol
who ran a company from home
Fun Workplace with a lot of flexibility
Recreation Leader I & II (Current Employee), San Diego, CADecember 2, 2014
good place to work at.
Management is very flexible with scheduling.
Definitely a stepping stone to bigger and better jobs
Great working with teens and kids, helping them develop life skills through sports and day to day contact and communication.
Solid organization
Senior Management Analyst (Current Employee), San Diego, CANovember 6, 2014
Vast employment opportunities. Public service work is very rewarding.
Family Oriented
Workers' Compensation CLAIMS AIDE (Current Employee), 1200 Third Avenue, Suite 1000, San Diego CA 92101October 13, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: it's a fishbowl! :)
After working for the City of San Diego for 20 years I can look back with pride and say it is very much relationship oriented, not just about doing the right thing, although that is extremely important. Integrity and ethics are a huge part of my employment with the City and I can honestly say I have done my part. People make mistakes but it takes honesty, courage and humility to admit, step forward and correct. I didn't realize when I began work for the muncipality that City employees would become part of my family. The love and respect I receive from the people I am closest with or have served in some capacity remind me that I did the right thing for the right reasons.
good place too work
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 6, 2014
Pros: day shift works on fire trucks
Cons: night shift 2nd and 3rd shift
working on trash truck and some small cars
day shifts works on fire trucks,all good
place of long hours
Equipment Operator (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 5, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: hours and advancement
this is a nice company to work for with only limited chances to advance in management
Strong Team Attitude
Golf Staff Starter Torrey Pines GC (Current Employee), La Jolla, CAJuly 30, 2014
Pros: atmosphere- environment -
Cons: none to report
Experienced leadership, excellent environment, staff is very helpful
fun enviroment
Field Representative/Meter Reader (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 4, 2014
easy going fun enviroment of large facility. data entry and cash handling
Fun workplace
Pool Guard I (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 23, 2014
Pros: free entry to all city pools
Cons: seasonal hours
Working at a pool as a lifeguard was an incredible experience. I learned first aid and rescue skills. I got to meet future employees of the medical field. The hardest part of my job was sitting out on the lifeguard chair when it was storming real bad. What I loved about being a lifeguard was that I got to teach water aerobics and swim lessons.
Public Service
Collections Investigator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 17, 2014
Pros: plenty of networking opportunities
Cons: high stress environment
This environment will teach you a lot about public service, public policy, and the application of public funds. Any interest in politics would enjoy working here.
Politics first, good business second.
Accountant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 17, 2014
Very complex organization with many layers of decision making.
Work
Claims Clerk (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 11, 2014
My supervisor and manager were very wishy washy, never knew when they were going to be happy or upset with you. Sometimes, you have to just make the best of whatever life throws at you to keep on keeping on.
CoSD is a great place to work.
Managing, Network Administrator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: great benifits
Cons: low pay
During my time at the CoSD there was a strung culture driving civil servants to service tax payers as customers. I do not know if this is still true, but it made for an energetic and concerned work force.
Interesting environment
Peace Officer (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 17, 2013
I really have nothing to say. Days were good. Co workers were fun.
Fun work environment
Recreation Leader I (Current Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 16, 2013
I enjoy working here. My co-workers are great and my new supervisor is great too. I like working with people in a relaxed environment.