City of San Diego Employee Reviews in United States

motivated, productive, get along very well
Floodplain Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 16, 2016
The City is a very well managed organization. It is very efficient and effective. I am very motivated. I work very well with others. I like and enjoy challenges. I am very positive. I like learning.
Pros
Health benefits, flex hours
Cons
no overtime
Very enjoyable co-workers and supervisors with positive energy
Account Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2015
This was my first time working for a government agency and also outside the Medical field. I enjoyed the training opportunities that I received and the positive energy from upper management. Never a problem taking scheduled breaks and always approved vacations made it fun.
Pros
Very commited to their employees and families
Cons
Like every government, alot of paperwork and harder to promote
great experience learned a lot
firefighter/haz mat inspector (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 7, 2016
first 18 years worked as a firefighter last 7 years as a deputy fire marshall inspecting facilities with hazardous materials
Great benefits
Administrative Assistant/Intern (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 30, 2015
This is a great place to work if you are looking for a secure job in working in government.

I recommend getting a position with the City of San Diego to anyone wanting to further their career, with ample opportunity for growth.

The City of San Diego is always looking for a people from diverse backgrounds.

I have family members that have retired from The City of San Diego that are set with a great pension and able to enjoy their retirement years.
Ensure the safety and welfare of the personnel in the organization
Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 3, 2015
Managed the company's well being program and facilitated related activities. Inspected facilities, workplace and work practices and identified the weaknesses in every area. Coordinated the activities of the department heads to achieve the same goal on safety measures and introduced the creation of safety committee who co-act as safety officer in the absence of the latter. Investigated serious accidents and developed plans to avoid the occurrence of the same.
Pros
Implemented safety programs and policies
Cons
Provided consultation to different departments on safety issues
serious but fun
Pool Guard/Swim instructor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 9, 2016
Help people check in then guard over the pool rotating as need then finish the day up with cleaning the bathrooms . the managers where great and the pool was a good work place
Stepping Stone for bigger things
administrative (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 11, 2015
It's a good place to start and get your feet wet, but it lost its stability of sustaining decent managers. Most new hires don't stay too long. Recent college graduates and recent retirees may be more suited as employees.
Fleet Parts Buyer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 29, 2015
The days were never ending...always something going on. Unionized jobs. Supervised stock clerks, purchased automotive parts, managed all storeroom operations
San Diego is a great place to work Moved to Phoenix 2 years ago
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 30, 2015
Great place to work performed employee evals to drafting daily, weekly annual reports for plant compliance to agencies like to
the EPA
what I learned.
Clerical Assistant II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 15, 2015
I was apart of the accounts payable team and gain alot of experience with paying vendors, recorded keeping, using microsoft excel and dealing with other companys.
The City of San Diego sets high standards for the community and industry.
Senior Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 25, 2015
I was honored to work for such a great organization. As such, I am aware that I was very fortunate to connect with people within in organization that were great at their jobs and cared for the citizens of this great city. I learned what it took to provide the much needed services to the community at large. I learned to value and provide excellent customer service. I learned to work with community based organizations and leaders. I learned the importance of city government and how to get things accomplished for the common good of all its citizens. I totally respect and understand how that whole process works and urge all citizens to get involved.
Pros
The opportunity to work for the common good of all citizens.
Challenging, but fun place to work
Economic Growth Services Management Intern (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 3, 2015
The city of San Diego's Economic Development Department is a great place to get your start in government work. The staff are warm, friendly and always willing to help if you have any questions. You are exposed to many different assignments ranging from updating fiscal implementation plans to gathering photos for the EGS Facebook page to outreach to local businesses. This makes the job challenging, but intellectually stimulating and helped nurture my office skills.
Pros
Many different tasks, friendly coworkers, located in downtown San Diego
Cons
Possible assignment overload, progress on projects is slow at times
Fun and easy job.
Rec Leader I (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 9, 2015
This job works with your hours and is a fun enivornment to work in. Also the city is a great company to work for with great benefits.
Family Oriented
Workers' Compensation CLAIMS AIDE (Current Employee) –  1200 Third Avenue, Suite 1000, San Diego CA 92101October 13, 2014
After working for the City of San Diego for 20 years I can look back with pride and say it is very much relationship oriented, not just about doing the right thing, although that is extremely important. Integrity and ethics are a huge part of my employment with the City and I can honestly say I have done my part. People make mistakes but it takes honesty, courage and humility to admit, step forward and correct. I didn't realize when I began work for the muncipality that City employees would become part of my family. The love and respect I receive from the people I am closest with or have served in some capacity remind me that I did the right thing for the right reasons.
benefits
Cons
it's a fishbowl! :)
Great company to work for-they got me my start with City
Senior Drafting Aide for the Planning (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 21, 2015
I was a temporary contract worker with the Lawton Company doing work for the City of San Diego in their GIS section.
If not for this company I would never have received the experience I needed to apply for the Drafting position I was eventually offered.
Pros
Contract work can open doors to alot of people and companys
Cons
Its temporary
Honorable job, public safety, law enforcement
Police Officer/Patrol Officer/Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 10, 2012
Excellent job with job satisfaction, low pay, bad equipment, bad management, politics, shift work and dangerous.
Problem was internal corruption here as well.Preferential treatment
and politics was very heavy.
I was not treated with respect even though I rated very high in the academy.
I was suspected of being "undercover" for the U.S. Secret Service, my former agency.
Pros
i had my own patrol car
Cons
i was doing the work of 2-3 other police officers
Typical Governmental Office
Management Analyst/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 13, 2015
Process driven organization run by Baby Boomers who are not apprised to the trends in how to manage in Fortune 500 companies. Strong job security and decent pay. Flexible working hours/schedule depending on your Manager.
Great public relations
Ground Maintenance Worker II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 16, 2013
This job was a great place to interact with people, which I love. benifits were ok, a bit over priced. Management was good, easy to talk to and willing to listen to what we had to say.
Pros
trusting management, set your owen projects
Cons
some people were hard to work with, unmotivated
place of long hours
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 5, 2014
this is a nice company to work for with only limited chances to advance in management
Pros
good pay
Cons
hours and advancement
High cost of benefits, pay lower than in the Private sector
claims (Former Employee) –  Risk managementSeptember 29, 2013
Because of all the controversy other California cities have undergone with criminals in City admin jobs getting $400,000 a year in pay as a clerk typist and ripping off taxpayers. Working for a city as a civil servant is not as good as it once was.

City of San Diego has only 1 option for healthcare benefits and it costs a typical family about $3200 a month. Employees have to pay for their own parking $85.00 a month and the pay scale for a technical position within the City is much, much lower than in the private sector.

A government job is NOT what it once was.
Pros
all the paid holidays no one else gets
Cons
no pay furlough days, lower pay for the same job in the private sector, employees pay a higher share of the costs for benefits.