City of San Diego Employee Reviews

Fun workplace!
Management Intern - Human Resources Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 29, 2017
Working at the City of San Diego is the best! Apart from the amazing benefits and management the people are so nice and they are very welcoming to new employees.
Steady Paycheck
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 24, 2017
I enjoyed the ability to work at the schools my kids attended as it made childcare easier to manage. I loved having the summers off to spend with my kids, but did not like not having a paycheck if working summer school was not an option and most times it was not.
Pros
great holidays
Cons
unpaid summers
A secure place to build your knowledge base in utility design and construction.
Assistant Engineer-Civil (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 6, 2017
This job provided a good learning atmospher. I designed wet utilities and monitored the job progress with p3 software. It gave me an overall experience with city jobs.
Not engaging enough
STUDENT INTERN (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 23, 2016
As to be expected with any internship the work load was not engaging or challenging. I lost interest in doing repetitive data entry and filing, it was not giving me relevant work experience to my degree.
Decent Job
Yeoman Third Class (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 30, 2016
A great place to start getting experience. It is where I received lots of geotechnical knowledge. The company had management problems and changes during the recession. Still liked working there nevertheless.
Pros
Geotechnical experience
Cons
unstable during financial crisis
outdoors good workout
Sanitation Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 29, 2016
driving pick up garbage learned the city as far highways and streets and places made good friends at work demanding job on the body dangerous good physical work
Pros
just good
Recreation Leader I (Current Employee) –  Pacific Beach, CAAugust 25, 2016
Responsible for organizing and instructing athletic camps year-round providing concrete, positive experiences for the youth promoting qualities essential to raising successful young people.
Cons
The library is a wonderful place
Aide (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 31, 2016
I was able to make my own path and routines so long as I met the basic requirements. It was quiet, I was surrounded by books. I got plenty of break time. I felt appreciated and supported. Everyone was pleasant and easy to work with. The pay was not fantastic for hourly, but for the work I was doing it was perfectly fine. It was a great part time job.
Toxic
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 13, 2016
Cannot speak to every division of the SDPD, but the the division I was at was very difficult. Older "salty" cops training new officers teaching bad habits and promoting a culture that is not conducive of good police work. Extremely hard job which is made worse when their is dysfunction among the ranks between "cowboys",those officers trying to perform their duties, and those putting on the blinders and just driving around.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Stressful
Heavy work schedule, when I worked there
Building Inspector-Commercial Mechanical division (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 6, 2016
As an inspector early morning consists of receiving phone calls from customers and contractors. Prepare an accurate list of inspections so as to reduce travel time. Then try to make all scheduled inspections with minimal left overs. Sometimes this can not be avoided.
Pros
When inspection goes smoothly and client is in compliance
Cons
Having to turn down or fail an inspection due to non compliance
Assistant Chemist
Assistnat Chemist (Current Employee) –  La Mesa, CAJuly 5, 2016
I have really enjoyed my time at my job. The people are great and I have a flexible work schedule. The main downfall, the pay.
Poor upper management
Ballpark Administrator-Petco Park (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 29, 2016
Although there are many management training opportunities available for employees, upper management does not manage well. . All those under upper management are well educated and work hard.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interfacing with the Padres and administering the contracts between the City and the Padres. I solved problems that always arose when administering a major sports facility like Petco Park.

The hardest part is the politics. The leaders say they want to save money for the City but then they make decisions to please constituents not save money. Top management doesn't use a mistake as a tool for teaching but instead rebukes the worker. I joined the City to make a difference. That is very hard to do in the current environment.
Fun interesting work enviornment.
Community Services Liaison/Police Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 12, 2016
A great job if you enjoy adrenaline and helping people. It is a big department with plenty of oportunity for advancement.
great experience learned a lot
firefighter/haz mat inspector (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 7, 2016
first 18 years worked as a firefighter last 7 years as a deputy fire marshall inspecting facilities with hazardous materials
motivated, productive, get along very well
Floodplain Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 16, 2016
The City is a very well managed organization. It is very efficient and effective. I am very motivated. I work very well with others. I like and enjoy challenges. I am very positive. I like learning.
Pros
Health benefits, flex hours
Cons
no overtime
serious but fun
Pool Guard/Swim instructor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 9, 2016
Help people check in then guard over the pool rotating as need then finish the day up with cleaning the bathrooms . the managers where great and the pool was a good work place
Fleet Parts Buyer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 29, 2015
The days were never ending...always something going on. Unionized jobs. Supervised stock clerks, purchased automotive parts, managed all storeroom operations
Stepping Stone for bigger things
administrative (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 11, 2015
It's a good place to start and get your feet wet, but it lost its stability of sustaining decent managers. Most new hires don't stay too long. Recent college graduates and recent retirees may be more suited as employees.
San Diego is a great place to work Moved to Phoenix 2 years ago
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 30, 2015
Great place to work performed employee evals to drafting daily, weekly annual reports for plant compliance to agencies like to
the EPA
what I learned.
Clerical Assistant II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 15, 2015
I was apart of the accounts payable team and gain alot of experience with paying vendors, recorded keeping, using microsoft excel and dealing with other companys.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of San Diego. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval