CITY OF SAN DIEGO

CITY OF SAN DIEGO Employer Reviews

Fun workplace
Pool Guard I (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 23, 2014
Pros: free entry to all city pools
Cons: seasonal hours
Working at a pool as a lifeguard was an incredible experience. I learned first aid and rescue skills. I got to meet future employees of the medical field. The hardest part of my job was sitting out on the lifeguard chair when it was storming real bad. What I loved about being a lifeguard was that I got to teach water aerobics and swim lessons.
Public Service
Collections Investigator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 17, 2014
Pros: plenty of networking opportunities
Cons: high stress environment
This environment will teach you a lot about public service, public policy, and the application of public funds. Any interest in politics would enjoy working here.
Politics first, good business second.
Accountant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 17, 2014
Very complex organization with many layers of decision making.
Work
Claims Clerk (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 11, 2014
My supervisor and manager were very wishy washy, never knew when they were going to be happy or upset with you. Sometimes, you have to just make the best of whatever life throws at you to keep on keeping on.
CoSD is a great place to work.
Managing, Network Administrator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: great benifits
Cons: low pay
During my time at the CoSD there was a strung culture driving civil servants to service tax payers as customers. I do not know if this is still true, but it made for an energetic and concerned work force.
Interesting environment
Peace Officer (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 17, 2013
I really have nothing to say. Days were good. Co workers were fun.
Fun work environment
Recreation Leader I (Current Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 16, 2013
I enjoy working here. My co-workers are great and my new supervisor is great too. I like working with people in a relaxed environment.
High cost of benefits, pay lower than in the Private sector
claims (Former Employee), Risk managementSeptember 29, 2013
Pros: all the paid holidays no one else gets
Cons: no pay furlough days, lower pay for the same job in the private sector, employees pay a higher share of the costs for benefits.
Because of all the controversy other California cities have undergone with criminals in City admin jobs getting $400,000 a year in pay as a clerk typist and ripping off taxpayers. Working for a city as a civil servant is not as good as it once was.

City of San Diego has only 1 option for healthcare benefits and it costs a typical family about $3200 – more... a month. Employees have to pay for their own parking $85.00 a month and the pay scale for a technical position within the City is much, much lower than in the private sector.

A government job is NOT what it once was. – less
Stable employer
Equal Opportunity Contracting Program Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 24, 2013
Opportunity to advance or transfer available. Decent pay. Management dependent on level of professionalism.
City of San Diego
Management Intern (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2013
Great place to work and great people to work with. Everyone was nice and always willing to help out any problems that you may encounter.
Easy job
Library Aide (Current Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 5, 2013
Pros: hour lunch and great co-workers
Cons: not many hours
If you do what you are assigned to do, your life at this library will be very easy and will breeze by.
Great public relations
Ground Maintenance Worker II (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 16, 2013
Pros: trusting management, set your owen projects
Cons: some people were hard to work with, unmotivated
This job was a great place to interact with people, which I love. benifits were ok, a bit over priced. Management was good, easy to talk to and willing to listen to what we had to say.
city of san diego
Special events traffic controller Supervisor (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 12, 2013
Pros: job satisfaction
Cons: long hours
A demanding position, you work a lot of overtime depending on the events scheduled for the month. A great deal of job satisfaction. I work with a group of dedicated employees.
Busy
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 14, 2013
Pros: work out area
Better leadership, team players and respect others work space. Was able to help others with a smile
Was a good place to work and provided a lot of training for job growth and mentoring.
Administrative Aide II (Former Employee), San Diego, CaApril 28, 2013
Pros: job security
Cons: low pay
I enjoyed the alternative/flexable work schedule. I was part of a great team and supervised 5 clerical staff.
City of San Diego
volunteer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 24, 2013
Pros: very friendly employees
Cons: n/a
-a typical day at work -work on project
-what you learned- many tasks
-management -very friendly
-your co-workers-friendly
-the hardest part of the job -n/a

-the most enjoyable part of the job-when I could help others
The Perfect Job
Police Officer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 15, 2013
Pros: helping people and being relied upon.
Cons: injury or death to fellow officers.
Typical Day was Law Enforcement, Learned to appreciate people, Management or Sargent's very caring, Co-workers were a power team to back you up, Hardest part was the death of a friend, Most enjoyable was I delivered 2 babies in the field.
Great
Web Designer (Current Employee), San Diego, TXOctober 17, 2012
I was given a contract job to create a website for the city of san diego and so i did and they paid me good for it
Work with employees all the time as I processed their Payroll
Payroll Specialist II (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 16, 2012
Work daily on employees time work, performance report thru their Supervisors, confidential filing system, mileage, benefits, Cal-Osha, vacation, Out of Class assignment, sick leave and all other leave,
preparing spreadsheet.

Process new employee, retirement, resignation and all other documents and submitted to the Personnel Department. I learned to – more... be flexible and understand the employees personal situation, although it is all confidential.
The hardest job, is when employee is terminated..due to wrong doing or class is terminated due to out of budget.

Enjoyable part is our fringe benefit and recognition of being a good employee. – less
I learned a lot. its a good place to work.
Ground Maintenance Worker II and Utility Worker I (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 16, 2012
Pros: good place to work.
Cons: working nights
In parks& rec. I serviced city parks and Recreation and wastewater Departments. performed janitorial tasks including cleaning, sanitizing, and deodorizing recreation centers. suprvised general relief recipients and documented time cards. mowed , aerated, fertilized city parks lawns.in wastewater department I operated cleaned, and maintained wastewater – more... collection systems. operated vactor and rodder to clean sewer systems.at night. – less