City of San Jose Employee Reviews

Depends on your career
Acting Recreation Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 18, 2017
Depending on your career path, the City of San Jose is a good place to work. I've been with the City of San Jose part time for five years as a recreation leader and I believe this position has helped me gain transferable skills I will use in my future full time position I am currently looking for.
Great to start off career
Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 17, 2017
It's a great place to begin your career as it offers experience. It was fun working with the children and helped in developing certain traits, such as patience.
Productive and fund place to work
Community Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 17, 2017
You get to meet new people and work with people that are of the utmost professional. Working on programs and projects to benefit society as a whole was very rewarding. Not only do you work with amazing co-workers but depending on your job you get to work with great community members.
Pros
Working with great people.
Cons
Sometimes you need to work long days.
Interesting place to work
Recreation Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 15, 2017
It is a good place to work if your desire is to interact with different people every day. The culture can be fun at times, however, the compensation in comparison to the work that is expected is unreasonable.
Cons
Low wages, poor retirement plan
Technology Analyst
Contractor - AD Migration Process (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 4, 2017
Deployment of client/servers for entire staff for the City of San Jose.
Conversion of users and client servers to the current OS.

Management was great and allowed freedom of independence in the working environment.

The only difficult part is slow-pace environment which I am not accustom to.
Pros
Great atmosphere, positive.
Cons
Slow pace.
Great Place to work with Community
Teen Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 19, 2017
I enjoy working with the community and people. This job allowed me to work along side families , youth, senior citizens, and at community centers. I wasn't provided with enough work hours or wasn't provided the best resources to do my job.
Productive, creative, and fun
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 18, 2017
I gained knowledge working with children, develop and create awesome crafts and activities. Management gave the team more room to be creative and introduce new ideas. Workplace culture was very welcoming and had open lines of communication among everyone. The most rewarding part of the job was seeing the children grow and mature.
Productive and meaningful work
Senior Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 17, 2017
People who work for the City's Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Department generally believe in the value of services and programs that we provide to the community. There is a relaxed and friendly vibe among co-workers but very professional and courteous.
Not the place for me
Member (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 13, 2017
I thought I could advance to another Department in the city, but was told that once you are in that Department you can not go to another part of the city.
Great place in the early years
Parks Maintenance Repair Worker II (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 1, 2017
I loved my job with the city, but then budget cuts with a new mayor made it miserable. I left on a disability just at the right time. Otherwise early in my career, it was a great job.
Pros
hours
Cons
budget cuts
Great place to work with people who really enjoy their jobs
ºlControl Tech I (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 29, 2017
I come from the medical field calibrating and repairing vital pieces of equipment. When i fortunately landed a job with the city of san jose wastewater facility, Not only was i fortunate to join a brotherhood in the union the quality of work went up. There you could actually repair or replace a piece of equipment for good not just make it work on the fly and just band aid it up. Ive learned a lot here at the RWF and will continue working there.
Pros
perks: loyalty, morals, work ethic, benefits, schedule
Cons
Too much available food to gain 30 plus pounds lol
San Jose is a great city
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 11, 2017
This was pro-bono contract work on a Website, so I don't have a lot to say about the work culture, or compensation, but I enjoyed working with them! San Jose is an awesome town, and it was an honor to help them with their Web site.
Enjoyable Experience
District Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 8, 2017
I enjoyed my internship in Councilmember Lan Diep's Office. From writing Policy memorandums, to attending to constituents needs, I have experienced growth that I will forever be grateful for.
Senior Nutrition Program
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 20, 2017
The senior nutrition program at the almaden community center offers the senior community a chance to converse as well as engage with other members of the center. Not only do they provide a place to make friends but they also offer a healthy lunch.
Pros
Well Cooked Lunches
Cons
Only serve milk and water
Productive workplace
OFFICE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 19, 2017
Very competitive work environment that allowed a lot of profession and personal growth as well as some stability and the opportunity to work with a great team dynamic.
Great Place to Work!!
PTMA (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 7, 2017
The City of San Jose offers a diverse work force with outstanding prospects for advancement if that's what your looking for. My direct report has taken time to understand the direction I see my career going in and has helped connect me with the water department which is where I want to grow.
Working at City of San Jose
Investigator Collector II (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 18, 2017
The City of San Jose is a great place to work. The people that work here are welcoming, willing to help, and funny. We work hard. My experience working here so far has been great. The opportunity to transit from one department to another is wonderful. There never a dull moment. I would recommend those who is interested in working in the government setting. This is the place for you.
Different landscape, beautiful environment
Recreational Staffer (Former Employee) –  Yosemite Valley, CAMay 14, 2017
I had the beautiful landscape of Yosemite as my backyard while I worked at the San Jose Family Camp. A typical day consisted of being a recreational staffer. Taking campers on hikes, leading camp songs and enjoying smores. It was a very enjoyable time and the other coworkers of my age were high energy and fantastic at making a person feel part of the fold. The management was a bit strained at times and I found them more than lacking in some degrees, but since the large changeover from the City I hear the management has gotten back on track. Though people give government jobs a bad reputation its actually secure and not as bad as some would make others believe.
Pros
Free food provided, beautiful scenery, inclusive workforce
Cons
Over-dramatized issues, remoteness, buildings in need of repair
Recreation Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 2, 2017
This a great place to work. Pay may be better than when I left the agency. Very ahead of the game. Inspires creativity and welcomes change. Great co-workers.
Pros
Love this place to work
Cons
At the time advancement was rough, and pay was terrible
Great coworkers and management
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 19, 2017
The environment is not too fast paced or too slow. It is just right. The amount of support I get for the summer camps and just normal daily functions is amazing.