City of San Jose

City of San Jose Employer Reviews

Busy, energetic place to work
Assistant to Deputy Director Economic Development (Former Employee), San Jose, CAAugust 8, 2014
Pros: management & team
I worked in the Office of Economic Development with the City of San Jose. The department was fast paced and well run.
Working for a fun library is great!
Library Aide (Current Employee), San Jose, CAJuly 24, 2014
A typical work day consists of sorting books and shelving books. As you grow more knowledgeable you will start to help patrons with questions they have and work on the in-house database the library uses.

What I have learned at the library;
-People skills
-Customer service
-Working with a database

Management is the best, they all want to see a person – more... grew. They are the most friendly bunch of managers I have ever hand.

Co-workers are very friendly and a great bunch of people I have met. They are all hard workers and always willing to lend a hand.

There are no real hard parts about the job, expect for patrons taking out their anger out on you when they have fines.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work with everyone. – less
Great place to work for experience
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee), San Jose, CAJuly 13, 2014
Slow advancement, lower pay due to mayor's pay-cuts and increasing mandatory pension contributions. Lab personnel are great to work with, and management is great.
Office Specialist II (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMay 23, 2014
After 10 years of working for the City of San Jose, it was an excellent team to work for. I enjoyed my years with them however left to a promotion. If I had the opportunity to go back, I would.
Great job for people who are becoming for teachers, youth-coordinators
Recreation Leader- Youth Site Coordinator (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMarch 1, 2014
Pros: great pay for students and those that want their foot on the door to a government agency.
Cons: takes years or political influence to move up to a position.
Being a youth coordinator, I managed and implented youth recreation programs. I led the day to day operations and agenda for youth. My co-workers were the most genuine and hard-working people I've ever met. I learned how to be an effective leader, and an organized, punctual administrator. The most challenging about the job is having projects after project, – more... but rewarding. The most enjoyable part of the job is at the end of the day is having the positive social and life impact on youth that I served. – less
City of San Jose
Human Resources Division Manager (Current Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 27, 2014
Great place to work. The City is innovative and transparent with the services that it provides its residents. Highly recommended.
Fun filled Environment at San Jose City
Recreation Leader (Current Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: free snacks, fun job
Cons: short breaks, could get hurt, activities done in the sun or the rain, no health benefits for part time employees
Created different activities for a group of children between ages 5 - 12
created the activities according to the group of children depending on their interest
Took them on field trips around San Jose
City Life
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: broken promises
I worked in the Recycle Plus/Garbage & Water. I help everyone from low-income to regular residents move into their homes.
fun place to work
custodian (Former Employee), San Jose, CADecember 28, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: they dont hire often
Go to your assigned area, work your own speed.co-workers were great, just an all around good experience. hardest part of the job was working the graveyard shift.
Great work environment
Senior Office Specialist (Former Employee), San Jose, CADecember 20, 2013
Pros: nice co-workers, close location to home
Cons: job was only temporary
I loved working for The City through Trendtec Agency. I was employed through the agency as a temp. I also enjoyed the group I worked with. My boss was awesome, and co-workers. I learned how the city needs permits required for the city's safety. They keep track of different areas in San Jose and inspect buildings to make sure they are up to guidelines. – more... If not than homes or businesses need to have properties meeting requirements, and inspectors will guide them. – less
Was good until new direction came in.
HVAC Technician (Former Employee), San Jose, CANovember 20, 2013
I think there are better places to work, but if I were desperate it's OK.
Working at the City of San Jose was meaningful and personally rewarding. I learned and became experienced in working in a municipal government.
Associate Civil Engineer (Former Employee), San Jose, CAOctober 19, 2013
Pros: rewarding job responsibilities and good pension benefits.
Cons: long night meetings without pay.
My typical day at work involves providing management oversight to multiple capital improvement projects; meeting with project stakeholders, including community-based organizations, City Council staff, contractors and consultants.

I have learned how to work in a politically sensitive environment as well as working on projects with multiple stakeholders. – more... I enjoyed my job because I felt that I was helping improve the community and as a result improve the lives of San Jose residents. Hardest part of my job was dealing with difficult people that oftentimes are irrational. – less
Fun place to work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), San Jose, CAOctober 1, 2013
From what I remember it was an OK place to work I left before the budget fell off the table so i don't know what it is like now,
Great people
Zero Waste Events (Former Employee), San Jose, CASeptember 3, 2013
A lot of passionate and wonderful people. Job security is very low.
Fun
Clerical Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJune 5, 2013
Pros: location
Cons: temp
They were inviting and friendly. Very understanding and easy. The most enjoyable part of the job is how appreciative they were of my work. I always finish projects on time and complete.
Excellent benefits and compensation not much room for adnvancement
Revenue Officer II (Current Employee), San Jose, CAMay 18, 2013
Unfortunatley a place where hard work and dedication are not recognized.
Fun and exciting workplace
Recreation Lead (Seasonal) (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMay 14, 2013
Pros: room and boad paid
Cons: per deim
During the season a normal day would include making schedules and spervising other employees. Also planng and proforming activities.
During pree and post season a normal day wold include cleaning maintanice and planning cooking meals in the kitchen, also grounds maintanice and cleaning, sometime planing and exucuting activities.
I enjoyed every aspect of my job
Police Officer (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMay 10, 2013
Pros: everything about the job
Cons: retirement
Selected for various units throughout career: warrants, field training, MERGE, patrol, VICE, sexual assault, property and evidence, school liaison. Received lifesaving award, served as police officer’s association director for 10 years.
I felt like I accomplished something every day I worked for the Police Department no matter what possision I worked.
Supervise children in after school events
Recreation Leader (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMay 8, 2013
Pros: great job for athletic and energetic folks who love children
Cons: the children working with are not your children
Great job, but one must be patient and adore children regardless how much of a pain they may be treating each child you work with with the dignity and respect deserve and their parents deserve, if you break any serious rules you may be terminated/let go on site or even worse suffer a lawsuit, interacting with children can be difficult esp when some – more... may be toddlers in preschool or kindergarten which children of that age often want to be held or babied which is against the rules one must never physically interact with a child or minor whom is not under their legal custody so folks seeking a job in this field be forewarned, its fun and games playing with the children but watch how you play because the law doesn't play. – less
This was a good place to work, and there were many other students in my age range.
Library Page (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMay 2, 2013
I made good friends here, and enjoyed both the friendships and the challenges.