City of San Jose Employee Reviews

San Jose is a great city
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 11, 2017
This was pro-bono contract work on a Website, so I don't have a lot to say about the work culture, or compensation, but I enjoyed working with them! San Jose is an awesome town, and it was an honor to help them with their Web site.
Enjoyable Experience
District Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 8, 2017
I enjoyed my internship in Councilmember Lan Diep's Office. From writing Policy memorandums, to attending to constituents needs, I have experienced growth that I will forever be grateful for.
Senior Nutrition Program
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 20, 2017
The senior nutrition program at the almaden community center offers the senior community a chance to converse as well as engage with other members of the center. Not only do they provide a place to make friends but they also offer a healthy lunch.
Pros
Well Cooked Lunches
Cons
Only serve milk and water
Productive workplace
OFFICE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 19, 2017
Very competitive work environment that allowed a lot of profession and personal growth as well as some stability and the opportunity to work with a great team dynamic.
Great Place to Work!!
PTMA (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 7, 2017
The City of San Jose offers a diverse work force with outstanding prospects for advancement if that's what your looking for. My direct report has taken time to understand the direction I see my career going in and has helped connect me with the water department which is where I want to grow.
Working at City of San Jose
Investigator Collector II (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 18, 2017
The City of San Jose is a great place to work. The people that work here are welcoming, willing to help, and funny. We work hard. My experience working here so far has been great. The opportunity to transit from one department to another is wonderful. There never a dull moment. I would recommend those who is interested in working in the government setting. This is the place for you.
Different landscape, beautiful environment
Recreational Staffer (Former Employee) –  Yosemite Valley, CAMay 14, 2017
I had the beautiful landscape of Yosemite as my backyard while I worked at the San Jose Family Camp. A typical day consisted of being a recreational staffer. Taking campers on hikes, leading camp songs and enjoying smores. It was a very enjoyable time and the other coworkers of my age were high energy and fantastic at making a person feel part of the fold. The management was a bit strained at times and I found them more than lacking in some degrees, but since the large changeover from the City I hear the management has gotten back on track. Though people give government jobs a bad reputation its actually secure and not as bad as some would make others believe.
Pros
Free food provided, beautiful scenery, inclusive workforce
Cons
Over-dramatized issues, remoteness, buildings in need of repair
Recreation Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 2, 2017
This a great place to work. Pay may be better than when I left the agency. Very ahead of the game. Inspires creativity and welcomes change. Great co-workers.
Pros
Love this place to work
Cons
At the time advancement was rough, and pay was terrible
Great coworkers and management
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 19, 2017
The environment is not too fast paced or too slow. It is just right. The amount of support I get for the summer camps and just normal daily functions is amazing.
Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 26, 2017
The City is a true example of the saying "it's not what you know, it's who you know". Advancement depends in how favorably the hiring manager knows you. When a person with no HR experience and a degree in environmental studies becomes a HR manager, it speaks for itself. Work life balance is good because of the unions. Job security is good because of unions. Benefits are good because of unions. Compensation is competitive because of unions. The City runs on the support and hard work of unions because the City doesn't believe that people are the greatest asset of an organization.
Pros
Strong union representation
Cons
Difficult to advance. Affraid of change. Not employee friendly.
Made all employees happy
Library Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 5, 2017
Signing in my first duty was book sorter then rotate with other employees to keep work fast management was distance the most enjoyable parts are helping the little ones after school the children use library's for numerous reasons i just hope i can please every single student
Pros
Longer due dutes rentals
Cons
Hours being shared in a pool system
lifguard
Certified Life Guard Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 25, 2017
Certified Life Guard Instructor and taught swim lessons to adults,
children, infants, and the disabled. I enjoyed the job and really enjoyed the rewarding feeling of teaching adults how to safely swim.
Poor work environment
Inspection (Former Employee) –  Development divisionNovember 17, 2016
Work load ok, support and constructive feedback by assigned supervisor none, lot of old supervisor are not open to grow, stuck in old ways, some are really disrespectful, and have vindictive personality, they can and will undermine your work performance evaluation report, nobody will question their behavior and it's tolerated, to many supervisor with different personalities to deal. If you want to make it don't say anything and take the abuse
Pros
Nice car for work, benefits
Cons
Terrible supervisor, no constructive feed back or support
Flexible schedule
RECREATION LEADER (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 17, 2016
Flexible schedule, great co-workers, fun working environment, working independently, good pay rate. Downside is there are no benefits, limited amount of workable hours, and hard to advance.
I really enjoy working here
Sr. Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 17, 2016
I love working for the city of San Jose. Very great place to learn lots of skills for various types of work. Management are very great people who are understanding and want to see you succeed, excellent mentors.
Amazing place to work
Recreation Lead (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 18, 2016
Working for the city of San Jose is an awesome job. Co-workers are great and it gives you a lot of opportunities to grow.
Excellent
Recreational Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 30, 2016
This is a great place to work for, it offers a variety of opportunities to grow professionally. A typical day consisted of helping individuals perform, complete or learn a task. Working for the City of San Jose has allow me to grow professionally and to develop new skills.
Very Diverse Place to work
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 27, 2016
The City of San Jose really cares about it Citizens. It offers them a variety of ways to have their opinion and complaints heard.
Pros
Services it's Citizens
Cons
Takes a long time to get to your councilmen
Not satisfied with work culture.
Network Security Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 26, 2016
Not satisfied with work culture.Heavy work and only one in team to implement all the projects.no proper documentation and the hardware used is a kind of vendors which are not so reputed and unique.The work which you learn and perform here is not so useful for future career.
Management and Staff are great
Guest Services/Administration/Membership sales (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 8, 2016
Work consists of selling memberships, interacting with about 2000+ people daily, assisting with customer issues/questions, training staff members, selling general admission tickets and explaining rules and regulations about the facility. managers are great with schedules and flexibility. has more of a family culture than a work environment. have programsin place that show appreciation towards hard work.
Pros
great management and staff. flexibility in schedules.
Cons
no medical or dental. uniforms could use a change.