City of San Jose Employee Reviews in United States

I really enjoy working here
Sr. Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 17, 2016
I love working for the city of San Jose. Very great place to learn lots of skills for various types of work. Management are very great people who are understanding and want to see you succeed, excellent mentors.
Amazing place to work
Recreation Lead (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 18, 2016
Working for the city of San Jose is an awesome job. Co-workers are great and it gives you a lot of opportunities to grow.
Excellent
Recreational Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 30, 2016
This is a great place to work for, it offers a variety of opportunities to grow professionally. A typical day consisted of helping individuals perform, complete or learn a task. Working for the City of San Jose has allow me to grow professionally and to develop new skills.
Very Diverse Place to work
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 27, 2016
The City of San Jose really cares about it Citizens. It offers them a variety of ways to have their opinion and complaints heard.
Pros
Services it's Citizens
Cons
Takes a long time to get to your councilmen
Not satisfied with work culture.
Network Security Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 26, 2016
Not satisfied with work culture.Heavy work and only one in team to implement all the projects.no proper documentation and the hardware used is a kind of vendors which are not so reputed and unique.The work which you learn and perform here is not so useful for future career.
Management and Staff are great
Guest Services/Administration/Membership sales (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 8, 2016
Work consists of selling memberships, interacting with about 2000+ people daily, assisting with customer issues/questions, training staff members, selling general admission tickets and explaining rules and regulations about the facility. managers are great with schedules and flexibility. has more of a family culture than a work environment. have programsin place that show appreciation towards hard work.
Pros
great management and staff. flexibility in schedules.
Cons
no medical or dental. uniforms could use a change.
Fantastic Place for Cowards
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Downtown San JoseJune 4, 2016
This San Jose gig is awesome!

I get the stupid citizens of my city to pay me over $200,000 per year when overtime is added to my base pay and then get to stand around watching La Raza-huggers beat up US citizens attending a Trump rally without having to honor any sort of BS oath like 'to serve and protect'.

Just coasting until I reach my pension.
Pros
Lots of money, No responsibility, get to wear a gun
Cons
Have to come to work at least twice a week
Great Place To work
Lead Youth Coordinator/ Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 25, 2016
I really enjoy working here
Senior Accounting Clerk/Administration (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 24, 2016
-Senior Account Clerk
- Collect the information from the finance and HR invoices.
I learned a lot of new stuff here related to accounting, and learned clear communication is a must in everywhere.
Productive and long term
Library Page (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 18, 2016
Working with the city thus far has well exceeded my expectations on all levels, management wants all employees to succeed for the long run
Pros
Fleaxable
Great Team Culture but Short Staffed
Senior Architect (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 20, 2016
Good benefits, including salary, health care and retirement. City staff is comprised of many good and talented people for the most part. However, advancement is slow. Not much turn-over. Like many local municipalities, there are few architect positions relative to the number of engineering positions. The work of engineers seem to be valued more than that of architects. That being said there are opportunities for charismatic and confident individuals to have a hand in guiding the direction of the City and truly affect change in the culture.
Pros
Great autonomy; Professional development. licensing and professional organizations paid for
Cons
City bureaucracy, Low-bid requirements for public projects, exceptional projects few and far between
organize and fun to work
R P A (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 27, 2016
Typical day at the city is very busy and people oriented. We learn how to work with the public in a friendly environment as well as how to work as a team. My co workers are well trained and have a a great since of need for the public as well as each other. The hardest pat of our job is enter department relations when we are assigned duty's in other areas outside of our department. When we have staff meetings we get to bring out any issue ore concern in a great atmosphere with all staff in harmony.
Pros
brakes and 30 minute lunch
Cons
loved the staff and city
Water Safety Instructor/Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 22, 2016
it was a nice job, the staff was awesome!
wish the aquatics and recreational department had a better (bigger) expense budget, though.
Never a dull moment at Happy Hollow Park and Zoo
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 7, 2015
Management are helpful and knowledgeable with staff and duties.
Co-workers ages can range from 15-60+ and all are great to work with
Cons
Benefits are only associated with certain job classifications
Safety driven place of work. Pedestrian and Vehicle safety is of the utmost priority.
Electrician (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 1, 2015
Government Job. Emphasis on Safely moving Vehicle Traffic and Pedestrian Traffic throughout the City of San Jose. Streets. High Responsibility job. Working my co-workers makes the day go by efficiently.
Pros
Secure Job.
Cons
Cut backs hurt the ability to hire more staff.
Excellent place to be employed
ABITRATION AND MEDIATION HEARING OFFICER (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 27, 2015
Challenging and rewarding position where you get to make a difference in people's lives and help resolve disputes between landlords and tenants through this unique program established by the city of san jose.
Enjoyable environment with positive energy
STAFF TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 22, 2015
I enjoy going to work daily. I interact with various types of people and departments and feel that my opinions and evaluations are taken with seriousness. However, for being located in Silicon Valley the salary is not sufficient to survive there. As a result, my residence is over one hour away.
Pros
Support
Cons
Low Compensation
Fun workplace
Recreational Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 13, 2015
If you love working outdoors, indoors, and are sports minded this is the job for you. The plus is that you are working with members of the community and also teaching kids new skills everyday.
Enjoyable Environment
GIS Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 31, 2015
I learned a ton working here. As an intern all of the full time staff were ready and willing to help any time. I believe the City is headed in a fine direction.
Diverse and dynamic working environment
Senior Account Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 23, 2015
Good working place for permanent employee. Co-workers, most are young engineers with full energy, very handful . Team work. Managements are helpful.

4.2