City of San Jose Employee Reviews

Great coworkers and management
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 19, 2017
The environment is not too fast paced or too slow. It is just right. The amount of support I get for the summer camps and just normal daily functions is amazing.
Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 26, 2017
The City is a true example of the saying "it's not what you know, it's who you know". Advancement depends in how favorably the hiring manager knows you. When a person with no HR experience and a degree in environmental studies becomes a HR manager, it speaks for itself. Work life balance is good because of the unions. Job security is good because of unions. Benefits are good because of unions. Compensation is competitive because of unions. The City runs on the support and hard work of unions because the City doesn't believe that people are the greatest asset of an organization.
Pros
Strong union representation
Cons
Difficult to advance. Affraid of change. Not employee friendly.
Made all employees happy
Library Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 5, 2017
Signing in my first duty was book sorter then rotate with other employees to keep work fast management was distance the most enjoyable parts are helping the little ones after school the children use library's for numerous reasons i just hope i can please every single student
Pros
Longer due dutes rentals
Cons
Hours being shared in a pool system
lifguard
Certified Life Guard Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 25, 2017
Certified Life Guard Instructor and taught swim lessons to adults,
children, infants, and the disabled. I enjoyed the job and really enjoyed the rewarding feeling of teaching adults how to safely swim.
Poor work environment
Inspection (Former Employee) –  Development divisionNovember 17, 2016
Work load ok, support and constructive feedback by assigned supervisor none, lot of old supervisor are not open to grow, stuck in old ways, some are really disrespectful, and have vindictive personality, they can and will undermine your work performance evaluation report, nobody will question their behavior and it's tolerated, to many supervisor with different personalities to deal. If you want to make it don't say anything and take the abuse
Pros
Nice car for work, benefits
Cons
Terrible supervisor, no constructive feed back or support
Flexible schedule
RECREATION LEADER (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 17, 2016
Flexible schedule, great co-workers, fun working environment, working independently, good pay rate. Downside is there are no benefits, limited amount of workable hours, and hard to advance.
I really enjoy working here
Sr. Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 17, 2016
I love working for the city of San Jose. Very great place to learn lots of skills for various types of work. Management are very great people who are understanding and want to see you succeed, excellent mentors.
Amazing place to work
Recreation Lead (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 18, 2016
Working for the city of San Jose is an awesome job. Co-workers are great and it gives you a lot of opportunities to grow.
Excellent
Recreational Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 30, 2016
This is a great place to work for, it offers a variety of opportunities to grow professionally. A typical day consisted of helping individuals perform, complete or learn a task. Working for the City of San Jose has allow me to grow professionally and to develop new skills.
Very Diverse Place to work
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 27, 2016
The City of San Jose really cares about it Citizens. It offers them a variety of ways to have their opinion and complaints heard.
Pros
Services it's Citizens
Cons
Takes a long time to get to your councilmen
Not satisfied with work culture.
Network Security Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 26, 2016
Not satisfied with work culture.Heavy work and only one in team to implement all the projects.no proper documentation and the hardware used is a kind of vendors which are not so reputed and unique.The work which you learn and perform here is not so useful for future career.
Management and Staff are great
Guest Services/Administration/Membership sales (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 8, 2016
Work consists of selling memberships, interacting with about 2000+ people daily, assisting with customer issues/questions, training staff members, selling general admission tickets and explaining rules and regulations about the facility. managers are great with schedules and flexibility. has more of a family culture than a work environment. have programsin place that show appreciation towards hard work.
Pros
great management and staff. flexibility in schedules.
Cons
no medical or dental. uniforms could use a change.
Fantastic Place for Cowards
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Downtown San JoseJune 4, 2016
This San Jose gig is awesome!

I get the stupid citizens of my city to pay me over $200,000 per year when overtime is added to my base pay and then get to stand around watching La Raza-huggers beat up US citizens attending a Trump rally without having to honor any sort of BS oath like 'to serve and protect'.

Just coasting until I reach my pension.
Pros
Lots of money, No responsibility, get to wear a gun
Cons
Have to come to work at least twice a week
Great Place To work
Lead Youth Coordinator/ Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 25, 2016
I really enjoy working here
Senior Accounting Clerk/Administration (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 24, 2016
-Senior Account Clerk
- Collect the information from the finance and HR invoices.
I learned a lot of new stuff here related to accounting, and learned clear communication is a must in everywhere.
Productive and long term
Library Page (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 18, 2016
Working with the city thus far has well exceeded my expectations on all levels, management wants all employees to succeed for the long run
Pros
Fleaxable
Great Team Culture but Short Staffed
Senior Architect (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 20, 2016
Good benefits, including salary, health care and retirement. City staff is comprised of many good and talented people for the most part. However, advancement is slow. Not much turn-over. Like many local municipalities, there are few architect positions relative to the number of engineering positions. The work of engineers seem to be valued more than that of architects. That being said there are opportunities for charismatic and confident individuals to have a hand in guiding the direction of the City and truly affect change in the culture.
Pros
Great autonomy; Professional development. licensing and professional organizations paid for
Cons
City bureaucracy, Low-bid requirements for public projects, exceptional projects few and far between
organize and fun to work
R P A (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 27, 2016
Typical day at the city is very busy and people oriented. We learn how to work with the public in a friendly environment as well as how to work as a team. My co workers are well trained and have a a great since of need for the public as well as each other. The hardest pat of our job is enter department relations when we are assigned duty's in other areas outside of our department. When we have staff meetings we get to bring out any issue ore concern in a great atmosphere with all staff in harmony.
Pros
brakes and 30 minute lunch
Cons
loved the staff and city
Water Safety Instructor/Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 22, 2016
it was a nice job, the staff was awesome!
wish the aquatics and recreational department had a better (bigger) expense budget, though.
Never a dull moment at Happy Hollow Park and Zoo
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 7, 2015
Management are helpful and knowledgeable with staff and duties.
Co-workers ages can range from 15-60+ and all are great to work with
Cons
Benefits are only associated with certain job classifications

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of San Jose. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2