City of San Jose Employee Reviews in United States

Great Team Culture but Short Staffed
Senior Architect (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 20, 2016
Good benefits, including salary, health care and retirement. City staff is comprised of many good and talented people for the most part. However, advancement is slow. Not much turn-over. Like many local municipalities, there are few architect positions relative to the number of engineering positions. The work of engineers seem to be valued more than that of architects. That being said there are opportunities for charismatic and confident individuals to have a hand in guiding the direction of the City and truly affect change in the culture.
Pros
Great autonomy; Professional development. licensing and professional organizations paid for
Cons
City bureaucracy, Low-bid requirements for public projects, exceptional projects few and far between
Never a dull moment at Happy Hollow Park and Zoo
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 7, 2015
Management are helpful and knowledgeable with staff and duties.
Co-workers ages can range from 15-60+ and all are great to work with
Cons
Benefits are only associated with certain job classifications
Enjoyable environment with positive energy
STAFF TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 22, 2015
I enjoy going to work daily. I interact with various types of people and departments and feel that my opinions and evaluations are taken with seriousness. However, for being located in Silicon Valley the salary is not sufficient to survive there. As a result, my residence is over one hour away.
Pros
Support
Cons
Low Compensation
Management and Staff are great
Guest Services/Administration/Membership sales (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 8, 2016
Work consists of selling memberships, interacting with about 2000+ people daily, assisting with customer issues/questions, training staff members, selling general admission tickets and explaining rules and regulations about the facility. managers are great with schedules and flexibility. has more of a family culture than a work environment. have programsin place that show appreciation towards hard work.
Pros
great management and staff. flexibility in schedules.
Cons
no medical or dental. uniforms could use a change.
Fantastic Place for Cowards
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Downtown San JoseJune 4, 2016
This San Jose gig is awesome!

I get the stupid citizens of my city to pay me over $200,000 per year when overtime is added to my base pay and then get to stand around watching La Raza-huggers beat up US citizens attending a Trump rally without having to honor any sort of BS oath like 'to serve and protect'.

Just coasting until I reach my pension.
Pros
Lots of money, No responsibility, get to wear a gun
Cons
Have to come to work at least twice a week
organize and fun to work
R P A (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 27, 2016
Typical day at the city is very busy and people oriented. We learn how to work with the public in a friendly environment as well as how to work as a team. My co workers are well trained and have a a great since of need for the public as well as each other. The hardest pat of our job is enter department relations when we are assigned duty's in other areas outside of our department. When we have staff meetings we get to bring out any issue ore concern in a great atmosphere with all staff in harmony.
Pros
brakes and 30 minute lunch
Cons
Not satisfied with work culture.
Network Security Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 26, 2016
Not satisfied with work culture.Heavy work and only one in team to implement all the projects.no proper documentation and the hardware used is a kind of vendors which are not so reputed and unique.The work which you learn and perform here is not so useful for future career.
Productive and long term
Library Page (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 18, 2016
Working with the city thus far has well exceeded my expectations on all levels, management wants all employees to succeed for the long run
Pros
Fleaxable
Excellent
Recreational Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 30, 2016
This is a great place to work for, it offers a variety of opportunities to grow professionally. A typical day consisted of helping individuals perform, complete or learn a task. Working for the City of San Jose has allow me to grow professionally and to develop new skills.
Very Diverse Place to work
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 27, 2016
The City of San Jose really cares about it Citizens. It offers them a variety of ways to have their opinion and complaints heard.
Pros
Services it's Citizens
Cons
Takes a long time to get to your councilmen
Great Place To work
Lead Youth Coordinator/ Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 25, 2016
I love working for the city of San Jose. Very great place to learn lots of skills for various types of work. Management are very great people who are understanding and want to see you succeed, excellent mentors.
I really enjoy working here
Senior Accounting Clerk/Administration (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 24, 2016
-Senior Account Clerk
- Collect the information from the finance and HR invoices.
I learned a lot of new stuff here related to accounting, and learned clear communication is a must in everywhere.
great people to work with
Marketing, Communications, Training Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 27, 2014
There were no typical days - heavy workload, great staff - best part of the job was the ability to conduct Leadership Training and Development, serve on mentoring panels, being a mentor for staff from all departments, implementing a Recognition Program for all departments. Hardest part of the job, not enough time to do all that needed to be done due to serious downsizing. Very family friendly workplace. What I learned is what I taught - leadership.
Pros
employees
Cons
downsized salary and increased workload with current mayor
loved the staff and city
Water Safety Instructor/Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 22, 2016
it was a nice job, the staff was awesome!
wish the aquatics and recreational department had a better (bigger) expense budget, though.
Safety driven place of work. Pedestrian and Vehicle safety is of the utmost priority.
Electrician (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 1, 2015
Government Job. Emphasis on Safely moving Vehicle Traffic and Pedestrian Traffic throughout the City of San Jose. Streets. High Responsibility job. Working my co-workers makes the day go by efficiently.
Pros
Secure Job.
Cons
Cut backs hurt the ability to hire more staff.
No value
city employee (Former Employee) –  San JoseOctober 16, 2012
Politics rule over everything and will have an impact on your job. Worked for the City for 5 years. Took away 15 percent of take home pay plus after the pass of prop B. Will take another 16 percent within the next four years. Regardless if your a good employee you can get bumped out of your position due to Seniority rights.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
politics
an employee focused workplace with job security.
PLANT MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 4, 2015
Each day starts with morning meetings to discuss the days major events with input and questions from the appx. 35 mechanics. Work orders are divided into groups by designated sections of the plant and are either handed to or retrieved by the mechanics. Personal tools and plant supplied tools are signed out at maintenance and or the warehouse. Mechanics travel to the job site via electric cart assigned to them or various equipment needed to perform tasks i.e. back hoe, crane, forklift, etc. I learned much about water treatment plant operations and maintenance, and safety. Confined space, s.c.b.a., trenching regulations, oxyacetylene use, c.p.r., fire safety, lock out, tag out electrical procedures and all types of welding, cutting and metal work needed at the plant. Management consisted of a plant manager who held weekly meetings with the plant mechanical supervisor ant the senior mechanics to each section of the plant along with operations and electrical supervisors. Each section would report on equipment repairs and when it would be back in service. My co-workers would assist in completing large projects such as tank overhaul or underground piping projects. Co-workers would also be operations or electricians personnel depending on the type of equipment involved. Getting some projects entirely completed, whether it was getting the materials to complete the job or not let the job linger due to a seniors distraction to other tasks. I always would say, " come on, lets finish the job" whether it's to clean up the mess left behind or motivate individuals. The most enjoyable part  more... of my job was knowing that i took pride in my work and the results will show it and getting the job done in a safe and timely manner.  less
Pros
great pay and benefits. possibility of overtime. great co-workers.
Cons
water treatment plants are dangerous places to work and safety is extremely important.
Fun filled Environment at San Jose City
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 27, 2014
Created different activities for a group of children between ages 5 - 12
created the activities according to the group of children depending on their interest
Took them on field trips around San Jose
Pros
free snacks, fun job
Cons
short breaks, could get hurt, activities done in the sun or the rain, no health benefits for part time employees
Excellent place to be employed
ABITRATION AND MEDIATION HEARING OFFICER (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 27, 2015
Challenging and rewarding position where you get to make a difference in people's lives and help resolve disputes between landlords and tenants through this unique program established by the city of san jose.
great place to work if you can get past the mayor's dislike for labor
sr hvac mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 21, 2013
very dedicated hard working workforce (contrary to popular belief) even though pay and benefits have been reduced in recent years with very little movement in the upward direction.

4.3