City of San Jose Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Productive and meaningful work
Senior Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 17, 2017
People who work for the City's Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Department generally believe in the value of services and programs that we provide to the community. There is a relaxed and friendly vibe among co-workers but very professional and courteous.
Not the place for me
Member (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 13, 2017
I thought I could advance to another Department in the city, but was told that once you are in that Department you can not go to another part of the city.
Great place in the early years
Parks Maintenance Repair Worker II (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 1, 2017
I loved my job with the city, but then budget cuts with a new mayor made it miserable. I left on a disability just at the right time. Otherwise early in my career, it was a great job.
Pros
hours
Cons
budget cuts
Great place to work with people who really enjoy their jobs
ÂșlControl Tech I (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 29, 2017
I come from the medical field calibrating and repairing vital pieces of equipment. When i fortunately landed a job with the city of san jose wastewater facility, Not only was i fortunate to join a brotherhood in the union the quality of work went up. There you could actually repair or replace a piece of equipment for good not just make it work on the fly and just band aid it up. Ive learned a lot here at the RWF and will continue working there.
Pros
perks: loyalty, morals, work ethic, benefits, schedule
Cons
Too much available food to gain 30 plus pounds lol
San Jose is a great city
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 11, 2017
This was pro-bono contract work on a Website, so I don't have a lot to say about the work culture, or compensation, but I enjoyed working with them! San Jose is an awesome town, and it was an honor to help them with their Web site.
Enjoyable Experience
District Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 8, 2017
I enjoyed my internship in Councilmember Lan Diep's Office. From writing Policy memorandums, to attending to constituents needs, I have experienced growth that I will forever be grateful for.
Senior Nutrition Program
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 20, 2017
The senior nutrition program at the almaden community center offers the senior community a chance to converse as well as engage with other members of the center. Not only do they provide a place to make friends but they also offer a healthy lunch.
Pros
Well Cooked Lunches
Cons
Only serve milk and water
Productive workplace
OFFICE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 19, 2017
Very competitive work environment that allowed a lot of profession and personal growth as well as some stability and the opportunity to work with a great team dynamic.
Great Place to Work!!
PTMA (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 7, 2017
The City of San Jose offers a diverse work force with outstanding prospects for advancement if that's what your looking for. My direct report has taken time to understand the direction I see my career going in and has helped connect me with the water department which is where I want to grow.
Working at City of San Jose
Investigator Collector II (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 18, 2017
The City of San Jose is a great place to work. The people that work here are welcoming, willing to help, and funny. We work hard. My experience working here so far has been great. The opportunity to transit from one department to another is wonderful. There never a dull moment. I would recommend those who is interested in working in the government setting. This is the place for you.
Different landscape, beautiful environment
Recreational Staffer (Former Employee) –  Yosemite Valley, CAMay 14, 2017
I had the beautiful landscape of Yosemite as my backyard while I worked at the San Jose Family Camp. A typical day consisted of being a recreational staffer. Taking campers on hikes, leading camp songs and enjoying smores. It was a very enjoyable time and the other coworkers of my age were high energy and fantastic at making a person feel part of the fold. The management was a bit strained at times and I found them more than lacking in some degrees, but since the large changeover from the City I hear the management has gotten back on track. Though people give government jobs a bad reputation its actually secure and not as bad as some would make others believe.
Pros
Free food provided, beautiful scenery, inclusive workforce
Cons
Over-dramatized issues, remoteness, buildings in need of repair
Recreation Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 2, 2017
This a great place to work. Pay may be better than when I left the agency. Very ahead of the game. Inspires creativity and welcomes change. Great co-workers.
Pros
Love this place to work
Cons
At the time advancement was rough, and pay was terrible
Great coworkers and management
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 19, 2017
The environment is not too fast paced or too slow. It is just right. The amount of support I get for the summer camps and just normal daily functions is amazing.
Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 26, 2017
The City is a true example of the saying "it's not what you know, it's who you know". Advancement depends in how favorably the hiring manager knows you. When a person with no HR experience and a degree in environmental studies becomes a HR manager, it speaks for itself. Work life balance is good because of the unions. Job security is good because of unions. Benefits are good because of unions. Compensation is competitive because of unions. The City runs on the support and hard work of unions because the City doesn't believe that people are the greatest asset of an organization.
Pros
Strong union representation
Cons
Difficult to advance. Affraid of change. Not employee friendly.
Made all employees happy
Library Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 5, 2017
Signing in my first duty was book sorter then rotate with other employees to keep work fast management was distance the most enjoyable parts are helping the little ones after school the children use library's for numerous reasons i just hope i can please every single student
Pros
Longer due dutes rentals
Cons
Hours being shared in a pool system
lifguard
Certified Life Guard Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 25, 2017
Certified Life Guard Instructor and taught swim lessons to adults,
children, infants, and the disabled. I enjoyed the job and really enjoyed the rewarding feeling of teaching adults how to safely swim.
Poor work environment
Inspection (Former Employee) –  Development divisionNovember 17, 2016
Work load ok, support and constructive feedback by assigned supervisor none, lot of old supervisor are not open to grow, stuck in old ways, some are really disrespectful, and have vindictive personality, they can and will undermine your work performance evaluation report, nobody will question their behavior and it's tolerated, to many supervisor with different personalities to deal. If you want to make it don't say anything and take the abuse
Pros
Nice car for work, benefits
Cons
Terrible supervisor, no constructive feed back or support
Flexible schedule
RECREATION LEADER (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 17, 2016
Flexible schedule, great co-workers, fun working environment, working independently, good pay rate. Downside is there are no benefits, limited amount of workable hours, and hard to advance.
I really enjoy working here
Sr. Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 17, 2016
I love working for the city of San Jose. Very great place to learn lots of skills for various types of work. Management are very great people who are understanding and want to see you succeed, excellent mentors.
Amazing place to work
Recreation Lead (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 18, 2016
Working for the city of San Jose is an awesome job. Co-workers are great and it gives you a lot of opportunities to grow.