City of San Jose Employee Reviews

organize and fun to work
R P A (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 27, 2016
Typical day at the city is very busy and people oriented. We learn how to work with the public in a friendly environment as well as how to work as a team. My co workers are well trained and have a a great since of need for the public as well as each other. The hardest pat of our job is enter department relations when we are assigned duty's in other areas outside of our department. When we have staff meetings we get to bring out any issue ore concern in a great atmosphere with all staff in harmony.
Pros
brakes and 30 minute lunch
Cons
loved the staff and city
Water Safety Instructor/Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 22, 2016
it was a nice job, the staff was awesome!
wish the aquatics and recreational department had a better (bigger) expense budget, though.
Never a dull moment at Happy Hollow Park and Zoo
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 7, 2015
Management are helpful and knowledgeable with staff and duties.
Co-workers ages can range from 15-60+ and all are great to work with
Cons
Benefits are only associated with certain job classifications
Safety driven place of work. Pedestrian and Vehicle safety is of the utmost priority.
Electrician (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 1, 2015
Government Job. Emphasis on Safely moving Vehicle Traffic and Pedestrian Traffic throughout the City of San Jose. Streets. High Responsibility job. Working my co-workers makes the day go by efficiently.
Pros
Secure Job.
Cons
Cut backs hurt the ability to hire more staff.
EXCELLENT PLACE TO BE EMPLOYED
ABITRATION AND MEDIATION HEARING OFFICER (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 27, 2015
CHALLENGING AND REWARDING POSITION WHERE YOU GET TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN PEOPLE'S LIVES AND HELP RESOLVE DISPUTES BETWEEN LANDLORDS AND TENANTS THROUGH THIS UNIQUE PROGRAM ESTABLISHED BY THE CITY OF SAN JOSE.
Enjoyable environment with positive energy
STAFF TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 22, 2015
I enjoy going to work daily. I interact with various types of people and departments and feel that my opinions and evaluations are taken with seriousness. However, for being located in Silicon Valley the salary is not sufficient to survive there. As a result, my residence is over one hour away.
Pros
Support
Cons
Low Compensation
Fun workplace
Recreational Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 13, 2015
If you love working outdoors, indoors, and are sports minded this is the job for you. The plus is that you are working with members of the community and also teaching kids new skills everyday.
Enjoyable Environment
GIS Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 31, 2015
I learned a ton working here. As an intern all of the full time staff were ready and willing to help any time. I believe the City is headed in a fine direction.
Diverse and dynamic working environment
Senior Account Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 23, 2015
Good working place for permanent employee. Co-workers, most are young engineers with full energy, very handful . Team work. Managements are helpful.
great place to work
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 19, 2015
Working with the city as both a rec leader and front desk staff has been awesome. I have gained so many skills while working these two positions.
Pros
interacting with people everyday
A healthy Company
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 6, 2015
The Boss was a visionary man, whom treated his product, staff and partners like his family and children.The majority of the faculty were of the same mind and were not only helpful toward one another but also focused on the growth of the company.
Pros
Healthy Work Environment
Cons
Contract bases
Very team oriented environment
Public Works Intern (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 26, 2015
I am a utility locator for the City of San Jose. My typical day consists of reviewing active job tickets within the city to determine whether or not we have utilities in the area. If our utilities are present at the site in question it is my job to go to the site in order to locate our utilities. While working in this position I have gained a real understanding of the process behind big capital improvement jobs and developments and even the importance of "Call before you Dig" on small in home repairs.
an employee focused workplace with job security.
PLANT MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 4, 2015
Each day starts with morning meetings to discuss the days major events with input and questions from the appx. 35 mechanics. Work orders are divided into groups by designated sections of the plant and are either handed to or retrieved by the mechanics. Personal tools and plant supplied tools are signed out at maintenance and or the warehouse. Mechanics travel to the job site via electric cart assigned to them or various equipment needed to perform tasks i.e. back hoe, crane, forklift, etc. I learned much about water treatment plant operations and maintenance, and safety. Confined space, s.c.b.a., trenching regulations, oxyacetylene use, c.p.r., fire safety, lock out, tag out electrical procedures and all types of welding, cutting and metal work needed at the plant. Management consisted of a plant manager who held weekly meetings with the plant mechanical supervisor ant the senior mechanics to each section of the plant along with operations and electrical supervisors. Each section would report on equipment repairs and when it would be back in service. My co-workers would assist in completing large projects such as tank overhaul or underground piping projects. Co-workers would also be operations or electricians personnel depending on the type of equipment involved. Getting some projects entirely completed, whether it was getting the materials to complete the job or not let the job linger due to a seniors distraction to other tasks. I always would say, " come on, lets finish the job" whether it's to clean up the mess left behind or motivate individuals. The most enjoyable part  more... of my job was knowing that i took pride in my work and the results will show it and getting the job done in a safe and timely manner.  less
Pros
great pay and benefits. possibility of overtime. great co-workers.
Cons
water treatment plants are dangerous places to work and safety is extremely important.
Great experience for a student!
Council Assistant Intern for District 7 (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 23, 2015
I was able to learn a lot while I was here! I was also able to help the community.
Enjoy employees
Park Maintenance worker (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 4, 2014
The management motivate you to complete jobs and actually work with you if the job has a deadline.
Met some of my best friends there!
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 28, 2014
So many different opportunities in so many departments

The kids appreciate what you do for them
Pros
many centers to choose from
great people to work with
Marketing, Communications, Training Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 27, 2014
There were no typical days - heavy workload, great staff - best part of the job was the ability to conduct Leadership Training and Development, serve on mentoring panels, being a mentor for staff from all departments, implementing a Recognition Program for all departments. Hardest part of the job, not enough time to do all that needed to be done due to serious downsizing. Very family friendly workplace. What I learned is what I taught - leadership.
Pros
employees
Cons
downsized salary and increased workload with current mayor
Great atmosphere, bad managment
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 6, 2014
Working for the city was great experience, but the lack of communication from management was a huge draw back.
Pros
people, and good food around
Cons
managment
fun workplace
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 21, 2014
A typical day at work would be supervising kids, and creating games or activities that fit there age range which they would have fun participating in. I learned how to be patient with kids. The management team was great because they supported our decisions. My co-workers were fun because we game together with ideas that the kids would have fun with. The hardest part of the job was trying not to yell at the kids. The most enjoyable part of my job being able to help kids that were going through a rough time in their life and making it better.
Pros
helping kids stay out of trouble
Cons
no breaks
Busy, energetic place to work
Assistant to Deputy Director Economic Development (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 8, 2014
I worked in the Office of Economic Development with the City of San Jose. The department was fast paced and well run.
Pros
management & team

4.3