City of San Jose Employee Reviews in United States

Great Team Culture but Short Staffed
Senior Architect (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 20, 2016
Good benefits, including salary, health care and retirement. City staff is comprised of many good and talented people for the most part. However, advancement is slow. Not much turn-over. Like many local municipalities, there are few architect positions relative to the number of engineering positions. The work of engineers seem to be valued more than that of architects. That being said there are opportunities for charismatic and confident individuals to have a hand in guiding the direction of the City and truly affect change in the culture.
Pros
Great autonomy; Professional development. licensing and professional organizations paid for
Cons
City bureaucracy, Low-bid requirements for public projects, exceptional projects few and far between
organize and fun to work
R P A (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 27, 2016
Typical day at the city is very busy and people oriented. We learn how to work with the public in a friendly environment as well as how to work as a team. My co workers are well trained and have a a great since of need for the public as well as each other. The hardest pat of our job is enter department relations when we are assigned duty's in other areas outside of our department. When we have staff meetings we get to bring out any issue ore concern in a great atmosphere with all staff in harmony.
Pros
brakes and 30 minute lunch
Great Place To work
Lead Youth Coordinator/ Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 25, 2016
I love working for the city of San Jose. Very great place to learn lots of skills for various types of work. Management are very great people who are understanding and want to see you succeed, excellent mentors.
I really enjoy working here
Senior Accounting Clerk/Administration (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 24, 2016
-Senior Account Clerk
- Collect the information from the finance and HR invoices.
I learned a lot of new stuff here related to accounting, and learned clear communication is a must in everywhere.
Safety driven place of work. Pedestrian and Vehicle safety is of the utmost priority.
Electrician (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 1, 2015
Government Job. Emphasis on Safely moving Vehicle Traffic and Pedestrian Traffic throughout the City of San Jose. Streets. High Responsibility job. Working my co-workers makes the day go by efficiently.
Pros
Secure Job.
Cons
Cut backs hurt the ability to hire more staff.
Productive and long term
Library Page (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 18, 2016
Working with the city thus far has well exceeded my expectations on all levels, management wants all employees to succeed for the long run
Pros
Fleaxable
Never a dull moment at Happy Hollow Park and Zoo
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 7, 2015
Management are helpful and knowledgeable with staff and duties.
Co-workers ages can range from 15-60+ and all are great to work with
Cons
Benefits are only associated with certain job classifications
loved the staff and city
Water Safety Instructor/Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 22, 2016
it was a nice job, the staff was awesome!
wish the aquatics and recreational department had a better (bigger) expense budget, though.
Enjoyable environment with positive energy
STAFF TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 22, 2015
I enjoy going to work daily. I interact with various types of people and departments and feel that my opinions and evaluations are taken with seriousness. However, for being located in Silicon Valley the salary is not sufficient to survive there. As a result, my residence is over one hour away.
Pros
Support
Cons
Low Compensation
Excellent place to be employed
ABITRATION AND MEDIATION HEARING OFFICER (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 27, 2015
Challenging and rewarding position where you get to make a difference in people's lives and help resolve disputes between landlords and tenants through this unique program established by the city of san jose.
A healthy Company
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 6, 2015
The Boss was a visionary man, whom treated his product, staff and partners like his family and children.The majority of the faculty were of the same mind and were not only helpful toward one another but also focused on the growth of the company.
Pros
Healthy Work Environment
Cons
Contract bases
Fun workplace
Recreational Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 13, 2015
If you love working outdoors, indoors, and are sports minded this is the job for you. The plus is that you are working with members of the community and also teaching kids new skills everyday.
Very team oriented environment
Public Works Intern (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 26, 2015
I am a utility locator for the City of San Jose. My typical day consists of reviewing active job tickets within the city to determine whether or not we have utilities in the area. If our utilities are present at the site in question it is my job to go to the site in order to locate our utilities. While working in this position I have gained a real understanding of the process behind big capital improvement jobs and developments and even the importance of "Call before you Dig" on small in home repairs.
great place to work
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 19, 2015
Working with the city as both a rec leader and front desk staff has been awesome. I have gained so many skills while working these two positions.
Pros
interacting with people everyday
Cons
Diverse and dynamic working environment
Senior Account Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 23, 2015
Good working place for permanent employee. Co-workers, most are young engineers with full energy, very handful . Team work. Managements are helpful.
Enjoyable Environment
GIS Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 31, 2015
I learned a ton working here. As an intern all of the full time staff were ready and willing to help any time. I believe the City is headed in a fine direction.
great people to work with
Marketing, Communications, Training Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 27, 2014
There were no typical days - heavy workload, great staff - best part of the job was the ability to conduct Leadership Training and Development, serve on mentoring panels, being a mentor for staff from all departments, implementing a Recognition Program for all departments. Hardest part of the job, not enough time to do all that needed to be done due to serious downsizing. Very family friendly workplace. What I learned is what I taught - leadership.
Pros
employees
Cons
downsized salary and increased workload with current mayor
fun workplace
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 21, 2014
A typical day at work would be supervising kids, and creating games or activities that fit there age range which they would have fun participating in. I learned how to be patient with kids. The management team was great because they supported our decisions. My co-workers were fun because we game together with ideas that the kids would have fun with. The hardest part of the job was trying not to yell at the kids. The most enjoyable part of my job being able to help kids that were going through a rough time in their life and making it better.
Pros
helping kids stay out of trouble
Cons
no breaks
Working for a fun library is great!
Library Aide (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 24, 2014
A typical work day consists of sorting books and shelving books. As you grow more knowledgeable you will start to help patrons with questions they have and work on the in-house database the library uses.

What I have learned at the library;
-People skills
-Customer service
-Working with a database

Management is the best, they all want to see a person grew. They are the most friendly bunch of managers I have ever hand.

Co-workers are very friendly and a great bunch of people I have met. They are all hard workers and always willing to lend a hand.

There are no real hard parts about the job, expect for patrons taking out their anger out on you when they have fines.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work with everyone.
Great job for people who are becoming for teachers, youth-coordinators
Recreation Leader- Youth Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 1, 2014
Being a youth coordinator, I managed and implented youth recreation programs. I led the day to day operations and agenda for youth. My co-workers were the most genuine and hard-working people I've ever met. I learned how to be an effective leader, and an organized, punctual administrator. The most challenging about the job is having projects after project, but rewarding. The most enjoyable part of the job is at the end of the day is having the positive social and life impact on youth that I served.
Pros
great pay for students and those that want their foot on the door to a government agency.
Cons
takes years or political influence to move up to a position.

4.3