City of San Jose

City of San Jose United States Employee Reviews

Great people
Zero Waste Events (Former Employee), San Jose, CASeptember 3, 2013
A lot of passionate and wonderful people. Job security is very low.
great place to work if you can get past the mayor's dislike for labor
sr hvac mechanic (Former Employee), San Jose, CAAugust 21, 2013
very dedicated hard working workforce (contrary to popular belief) even though pay and benefits have been reduced in recent years with very little movement in the upward direction.
Fun
Clerical Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJune 5, 2013
Pros: location
Cons: temp
They were inviting and friendly. Very understanding and easy. The most enjoyable part of the job is how appreciative they were of my work. I always finish projects on time and complete.
Excellent benefits and compensation not much room for adnvancement
Revenue Officer II (Current Employee), San Jose, CAMay 18, 2013
Unfortunatley a place where hard work and dedication are not recognized.
Fun and exciting workplace
Recreation Lead (Seasonal) (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMay 14, 2013
Pros: room and boad paid
Cons: per deim
During the season a normal day would include making schedules and spervising other employees. Also planng and proforming activities.
During pree and post season a normal day wold include cleaning maintanice and planning cooking meals in the kitchen, also grounds maintanice and cleaning, sometime planing and exucuting activities.
I enjoyed every aspect of my job
Police Officer (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMay 10, 2013
Pros: everything about the job
Cons: retirement
Selected for various units throughout career: warrants, field training, MERGE, patrol, VICE, sexual assault, property and evidence, school liaison. Received lifesaving award, served as police officer’s association director for 10 years.
I felt like I accomplished something every day I worked for the Police Department no matter what possision I worked.
Supervise children in after school events
Recreation Leader (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMay 8, 2013
Pros: great job for athletic and energetic folks who love children
Cons: the children working with are not your children
Great job, but one must be patient and adore children regardless how much of a pain they may be treating each child you work with with the dignity and respect deserve and their parents deserve, if you break any serious rules you may be terminated/let go on site or even worse suffer a lawsuit, interacting with children can be difficult esp when some may be toddlers in preschool or kindergarten which children of that age often want to be held or babied which is against the rules one must never physically interact with a child or minor whom is not under their legal custody so folks seeking a job in this field be forewarned, its fun and games playing with the children but watch how you play because the law doesn't play.
This was a good place to work, and there were many other students in my age range.
Library Page (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMay 2, 2013
I made good friends here, and enjoyed both the friendships and the challenges.
Productive place to work in
Accounts payable Accounting Intern (Current Employee), San Jose, CAApril 14, 2013
Working at the City Hall of San Jose is challenging, A typical day at work is fun, you will have a lot to do that makes the time flies by fast. you will have a lot of projects to work on, and all the team members help each other in their projects to finish all their work efficiently and effectively.
Productive and satisfying position
Intermediate Clerk (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMarch 29, 2013
Pros: enjoyed being part of the airport expansion master plan.
Cons: city of san jose lay off.
I enjoyed both the co-workers and duties of this position. The job kept me busy typing constantly and record keeping. I interfaced with other departments within the airport and was very busy working on the Master Plan for the airport expansion. I enjoyed my Supervisors and co-workers and believed in keeping myself busy. I assisted other co-workers with various duties on a daily basis. Also handled heavy phones and interfaced with the public from time to time.
great place to work
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), San Jose, CAFebruary 8, 2013
Pros: benifts, job duties, people
Cons: pay cuts, politics
A typical day would be you know what was expected from you, and you would have to prepare for the job. I learned a great deal in regards to maintence field. In dealing with the public issues. Management was fair at times, other times to much politics. The hardest part was the weather or some phycical demands. The most enjoyable part was the people you got to know.
13 years at SJC airport
Air Conditioning Mechanic (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: see all kinds of tourists coming & going
Cons: air flights noise
It is a friendly, well organized airport, very clean environment.
All modern and state of art terminals and parking garages.
Management worked well with their employees, co-worker were friendly and courteous. There were no hard part of this job, and it was very enjoyable to help people in travels.
Fun place to work at
Senior Account Clerk (Contractor) (Current Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 29, 2013
the working place is so relaxed plus the people i work with are all team players.
Great Job and Co-workers
Recreational Leader (Current Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 14, 2013
The most enjoyable part about working for the city of San Jose is the people I work with. They are very friendly and laid back. This job is so chill and I get to meet new community members everyday.
No value
city employee (Former Employee), San JoseOctober 16, 2012
Pros: great benefits
Cons: politics
Politics rule over everything and will have an impact on your job. Worked for the City for 5 years. Took away 15 percent of take home pay plus after the pass of prop B. Will take another 16 percent within the next four years. Regardless if your a good employee you can get bumped out of your position due to Seniority rights.
No value
city employee (Former Employee), San JoseOctober 16, 2012
Pros: great benefits
Cons: politics
great place
community service aide (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJune 30, 2012
Pros: good place
its nice place to work they work with you give you alot of hours and everything
The place I grew up
Program Coordinator (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJune 8, 2012
City of San Jose was where I really learned how to be a professional. I was given incredible creative freedom, and was encouraged by my peers. However, is a City Government environment, there are protocols and strict guidelines that prevent a little bit of movement. I was able to dip my toe in all areas of City Government, and am so grateful for the opportunities given.
Eventful and never a boring day. Positive attatitudes all around.
Team Member (Current Employee), San Jose, CAMay 18, 2012
This a great company that does a lot for the environment for recycling E waste. The staff there are very caring and always willing to work with you if you're having a problem, such as health or with other Co workers. The workers there and friendly and very helpful is you have a question. I've learned many different things while working there everyday I'm learning something new. The Most enjoyable part of the day for me is just showing up and being able to work with these great people.

City of San Jose Salaries