City of San Jose Employee Reviews

Diverse and dynamic working environment
Senior Account Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 23, 2015
Good working place for permanent employee. Co-workers, most are young engineers with full energy, very handful . Team work. Managements are helpful.
great place to work
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 19, 2015
Working with the city as both a rec leader and front desk staff has been awesome. I have gained so many skills while working these two positions.
Pros
interacting with people everyday
A healthy Company
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 6, 2015
The Boss was a visionary man, whom treated his product, staff and partners like his family and children.The majority of the faculty were of the same mind and were not only helpful toward one another but also focused on the growth of the company.
Pros
Healthy Work Environment
Cons
Contract bases
Very team oriented environment
Public Works Intern (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 26, 2015
I am a utility locator for the City of San Jose. My typical day consists of reviewing active job tickets within the city to determine whether or not we have utilities in the area. If our utilities are present at the site in question it is my job to go to the site in order to locate our utilities. While working in this position I have gained a real understanding of the process behind big capital improvement jobs and developments and even the importance of "Call before you Dig" on small in home repairs.
an employee focused workplace with job security.
PLANT MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 4, 2015
Each day starts with morning meetings to discuss the days major events with input and questions from the appx. 35 mechanics. Work orders are divided into groups by designated sections of the plant and are either handed to or retrieved by the mechanics. Personal tools and plant supplied tools are signed out at maintenance and or the warehouse. Mechanics travel to the job site via electric cart assigned to them or various equipment needed to perform tasks i.e. back hoe, crane, forklift, etc. I learned much about water treatment plant operations and maintenance, and safety. Confined space, s.c.b.a., trenching regulations, oxyacetylene use, c.p.r., fire safety, lock out, tag out electrical procedures and all types of welding, cutting and metal work needed at the plant. Management consisted of a plant manager who held weekly meetings with the plant mechanical supervisor ant the senior mechanics to each section of the plant along with operations and electrical supervisors. Each section would report on equipment repairs and when it would be back in service. My co-workers would assist in completing large projects such as tank overhaul or underground piping projects. Co-workers would also be operations or electricians personnel depending on the type of equipment involved. Getting some projects entirely completed, whether it was getting the materials to complete the job or not let the job linger due to a seniors distraction to other tasks. I always would say, " come on, lets finish the job" whether it's to clean up the mess left behind or motivate individuals. The most enjoyable  more... part of my job was knowing that i took pride in my work and the results will show it and getting the job done in a safe and timely manner.  less
Pros
Great pay and benefits. Possibility of overtime. Great co-workers.
Cons
Water treatment plants are dangerous places to work and safety is extremely important.
Great experience for a student!
Council Assistant Intern for District 7 (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 23, 2015
I was able to learn a lot while I was here! I was also able to help the community.
Enjoy employees
Park Maintenance worker (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 4, 2014
The management motivate you to complete jobs and actually work with you if the job has a deadline.
Met some of my best friends there!
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 28, 2014
So many different opportunities in so many departments

The kids appreciate what you do for them
Pros
many centers to choose from
great people to work with
Marketing, Communications, Training Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 27, 2014
There were no typical days - heavy workload, great staff - best part of the job was the ability to conduct Leadership Training and Development, serve on mentoring panels, being a mentor for staff from all departments, implementing a Recognition Program for all departments. Hardest part of the job, not enough time to do all that needed to be done due to serious downsizing. Very family friendly workplace. What I learned is what I taught - leadership.
Pros
employees
Cons
downsized salary and increased workload with current Mayor
Great atmosphere, bad managment
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 6, 2014
Working for the city was great experience, but the lack of communication from management was a huge draw back.
Pros
People, and good food around
Cons
managment
fun workplace
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 21, 2014
A typical day at work would be supervising kids, and creating games or activities that fit there age range which they would have fun participating in. I learned how to be patient with kids. The management team was great because they supported our decisions. My co-workers were fun because we game together with ideas that the kids would have fun with. The hardest part of the job was trying not to yell at the kids. The most enjoyable part of my job being able to help kids that were going through a rough time in their life and making it better.
Pros
helping kids stay out of trouble
Cons
no breaks
Busy, energetic place to work
Assistant to Deputy Director Economic Development (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 8, 2014
I worked in the Office of Economic Development with the City of San Jose. The department was fast paced and well run.
Pros
Management & Team
Working for a fun library is great!
Library Aide (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 24, 2014
A typical work day consists of sorting books and shelving books. As you grow more knowledgeable you will start to help patrons with questions they have and work on the in-house database the library uses.

What I have learned at the library;
-People skills
-Customer service
-Working with a database

Management is the best, they all want to see a person grew. They are the most friendly bunch of managers I have ever hand.

Co-workers are very friendly and a great bunch of people I have met. They are all hard workers and always willing to lend a hand.

There are no real hard parts about the job, expect for patrons taking out their anger out on you when they have fines.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work with everyone.
Great place to work for experience
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 13, 2014
Slow advancement, lower pay due to mayor's pay-cuts and increasing mandatory pension contributions. Lab personnel are great to work with, and management is great.
Office Specialist II (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 23, 2014
After 10 years of working for the City of San Jose, it was an excellent team to work for. I enjoyed my years with them however left to a promotion. If I had the opportunity to go back, I would.
Great job for people who are becoming for teachers, youth-coordinators
Recreation Leader- Youth Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 1, 2014
Being a youth coordinator, I managed and implented youth recreation programs. I led the day to day operations and agenda for youth. My co-workers were the most genuine and hard-working people I've ever met. I learned how to be an effective leader, and an organized, punctual administrator. The most challenging about the job is having projects after project, but rewarding. The most enjoyable part of the job is at the end of the day is having the positive social and life impact on youth that I served.
Pros
Great pay for students and those that want their foot on the door to a government agency.
Cons
Takes years or political influence to move up to a position.
City of San Jose
Human Resources Division Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 27, 2014
Great place to work. The City is innovative and transparent with the services that it provides its residents. Highly recommended.
Fun filled Environment at San Jose City
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 27, 2014
Created different activities for a group of children between ages 5 - 12
created the activities according to the group of children depending on their interest
Took them on field trips around San Jose
Pros
Free snacks, fun job
Cons
Short Breaks, Could get hurt, Activities done in the sun or the rain, no health benefits for part time employees
City Life
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 16, 2014
I worked in the Recycle Plus/Garbage & Water. I help everyone from low-income to regular residents move into their homes.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Broken promises
fun place to work
custodian (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 28, 2013
Go to your assigned area, work your own speed.co-workers were great, just an all around good experience. hardest part of the job was working the graveyard shift.
Pros
everything
Cons
they dont hire often

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of San Jose. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3