CITY OF SACRAMENTO Employee Reviews

I had a great time working for my supervisor she was an excellent boss. I appreciate the opportunity she gave me that nobody else did.
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 29, 2014
A typical day at work started with updating my boss on her meetings, messages, memos, ext. Then if needed I'd format agendas for meetings. I'd also make sure all of my bosses files and documents were in order. Various typical office tasks was an everyday thing. Any free time I had I spent on the Microsoft Office Training Program, I learned a few tricks to various office programs. Around lunch time I'd go get my boss something to eat if she was still in her meetings, so she can eat before heading to her next meeting. After lunch i'd make sure she had all of her meetings were re-updated, i'd also send out meeting requests if needed. I sorted all of her email to individual folders by person or topic. I'd typically end the day with making sure our office area was clean and organized and made sure all office supplies were stocked for the following day. My co-workers were very kind, there were quiet ones but I was quiet myself, I got along with everyone I never had any issue with a co-worker. They were all very enjoyable to work with and i learned a lot from them with work lessons and life lessons. The hardest part of the job was having to leave it for school.
Pros
free food on various holidays, birthdays, meetings.
Cons
parking was horrible. (downtown area)
Great experience! I love working here!
IT Student Assistant Intern (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 1, 2015
This a great place to get your foot in the door if you are looking to work in Information Technology. My job includes providing IT related services to other city employees in downtown Sacramento. I also provide remote assistance and as well as documenting for inventory of computers and other equipment, such as printers, mobile phones, monitors. I have knowledge of also performing hardware prepare. Seriously, it is a fantastic job working a team who is very talented and very proficient at what they do. I always have coworkers who can help me. We work together as a team. My supervisor is a great person to get along with, so enthusiastic and able to check on me and my performance in the workplace and tell me what I need to fix. Not many supervisors do that. This is a great environment to work in. I enjoy it very much.
Pros
Teamwork is excellent, opportunity to grow and to develop.
Cons
You have pay to park if you work here. Some city employees get to park at City Hall, but most just park in a paid parking garage.
Fun and learning environment for students
Human Resource Program Coordinator/Program Manager (Current Employee) –  SacramentoJune 20, 2015
Overall, my position allows me for advancement at all times and gave me the opportunity to learn management skills. A typical day at work would be to manage a site of 112 students and 5 line staff. My job is to make sure that our After school program is providing a safe, fun and learning environment for our students. Facilitating and training my staffs to give the best and effective customer services to our families. The hardest part of my job is that when school is not in session we are not working and it does create a financial dent. Although, I love what I do for our young people and I've been with this company for almost 8 years. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see students attend our program and refuses to leave at the end of the day because they had fun. Making a difference in our young peoples lives is what I currently do.
Pros
Inspiring young people lives and making a difference for every avenue possible
Cons
no benefits, healthcare, not reliable, seasonal
Fun Environment With Children
Out of School Time Leader (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 29, 2015
Students Check in, Supper is handed out, then student go to classrooms for homework time. After staff decided what to do for the day, either outside activity or enrichment project or both. Then later all students and staff return to cafeteria for parent sign out. I learned that for students and people in general to open up to you, you need to open up to them; this also leads to an open atmosphere for any type of communication. Also not everyone can be helped but that does not mean one should give up. My Site Director was always on top of things as best as she could, but the management above her was unorganized and office politics slowed many things. For the most part staff worked well at site. Hardest part of the job was leaving because of the connections that were made there. The most enjoyable were those same connections.
Pros
Great site directors
Cons
Office politics hurt empolyees
Parks and recreation reloaded
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 9, 2014
City of Sacramento has various parks and recreation programs focused on the youth of Sacramento. This programs provides after school tutoring, enrichment activities and field trips. Many of students who come to the program are from low income families. They are able to come to these programs and have a free lunch, get help with their homework and be with their friends. The program includes various enrichment options including dance, step, choir, science and robotics and more. The management is very understanding to each students needs and allows the staff to create their own enrichment programs to meet these needs. Overall a great program for kids of all ages.
Pros
advancement options, great hours, trips
Cons
difficult communities, outdoor conditions
I enjoyed my work with the city of Sacramento
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  3201 West River dr. Sacramento, Ca. 95833September 29, 2013
Every day after breakfast I take the kids out to the playground. They played until lunch time. After that they would take a nap. If the weather was cold we stayed inside the building more but we always made sure we spend some time outdoor. I read them stories twice a day. The director of the facility was a very nice a professional woman. It was nice working for her. My coworkers were all about the same age and we got along really well. The hardest part of the job was we had to clean the bathrooms, mop the floor, and clean up after the kids. The most enjoyable part of the job was played games with the kids and heard their laughter.
Pros
spending time outside the building
Cons
cleaning bathrooms
close to home at the time, often went to lunch as a team
Typist Clerk II- Building and Fire Permits (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, caJanuary 3, 2014
I was a temp for the City, but during that time I learned alot about the permit process and how important it is for people homes and business. I worked with alot of older men, infact I was the only women in the department. But was treated with respect and as an equal. Because I was a temp assigned to help them catch up on back logged work it made it hard to fill the day once we were caught up. I most enjoyed the department dinner night. Once a month we would get together as a team and all go to dinner and get to know each other as people not just co-workers.
Pros
good people, close to home at the time
Cons
temp position, mostly male enviroment
Having to interact with the community .
Administrative Assistant/Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 4, 2014
The day starts with coffee and staff meeting , and is always very exciting to find out what projects is in store for the day.We are in Neighborhood Services so we do a lot of events for the community.The management is very understanding and enjoyable to work for. My co-workers are all awesome and we have fun working together .The hardest part of work is when we are done with a project and have to move on to the next . It is very rewarding to see how our work for the community is making peoples lives a little better.
Pros
getting to meet new people all the time .
Cons
having to say goodbye to the people we meet .
Outgoing Work Enviroment
Surveyor Representative (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 20, 2015
Working and dealing with people on and off of the phone. Meeting quota each hour of your shift. Always remain professional, also a lot of reading. I've learned how to multi task doing various of things effectively. I perfected to have a professional high volume voice over the phone. Also knows how to study a companies product in order to keep sales rates up. Management was fair. Co workers were helpful and friendly. The hardest part of the job is to keep consumers interest, the enjoyable part is talking to so many personalities over the phone while working.
Pros
Companies Luncheons
Cons
It was a call in job
Useful, productive area for silent down time
Recreation Aide (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 28, 2014
I typically come in and turn on all the computers in the computer lab. I clean the keyboards and wipe down the surrounding areas. I monitor children, teenagers and adults as they use the computer facility. It is my job to make sure they are well behaved and viewing "appropriate" material on the computers. I also help set up email and social media accounts and show consumers how to navigate the internet.
(Some also meet here to study and complete projects and/or homework)
Pros
quiet, productive enviroment
Cons
no room for advancement

Want to know more about CITY OF SACRAMENTO?

Ask a question
I worked with a team environment, where we tried to maintain the cleanliness of outdoor parks and playgrounds.
Youth Aide (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 31, 2013
It very fun and enjoyable to work with my co-workers. We help each other and get our jobs done quickly. We picked up trashes and debriefs around the parks to make the place look more cleaner. The hardest part of the job was the weather; sometime it's too hot to work in an outside environment. So far, I learned how to help other and handle my job properly. I learned how to please my boss by showing up on time and do what my boss told me to do.
Lots of Varying Experiences
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 26, 2012
. My scope of Experience and activities included but are not limited to; Organizing community events and fundraisers, participating in cash-handling transactions, logging and filing any and all paperwork associated with each event as well as maintaining a digital record of participants in each event, and tutoring peers and children from elementary to college level curriculum
Pros
get to choose where you work at
Cons
tough work for no pay
Good career and room for advancement
Special Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 29, 2015
This is a nice, outdoor work environment. This job requires a lot of physical labor and diligence. For someone to succeed in this line of work they must be able to follow clear directions, take initiative and have integrity and hard work ethic. This job is physically demanding, but the hours are great.
Pros
Work outdoors
Cons
Seasonal employment, physically laboring
Very diverse atmosphere
Personnel Technician (Former Employee) –  Sacramento CASeptember 25, 2015
Working for the city gives you a sense of civic duty every single day. Providing benefits to fellow personnel is gratifying in and of itself. Special events at City Hall always create a buzz of excitement.
Pros
Diverse atmosphere and variety of work required by the City
Cons
The pace of working Downtown may not be for everyone.
Lifeguard Management
Management Senior Guard (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 10, 2013
I was taught how to manage other people in a professional setting, and how to schedule shifts around certain things like summer school and summer vacations. I also learned typical lifeguard things like advanced first aid, rescues, and rescue scenarios
Pros
fun in the sun, good pay
Cons
I felt very honored to have worked for the City of Sacramento
Account Technician (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 7, 2015
My career with the City of Sacramento was very satisfying. I felt I had the best job ever! Management was great, my coworkers were great. My job was fulfilling and I felt very honored to have been employed with the City of Sacramento,.
Lifeguard
Management Sr. Lifeguard /Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 21, 2015
The city provides excellent pay, training, and flexibility. There are opportunities for advancement to those who take the job seriously and make a noticeable effort.
Pros
tan, long breaks, otter-pops, good pay
Cons
inconsistent hours, seasonal
Sacramento Start
Program Leader, Americorps Member, Recreation Aide (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 24, 2013
Monday through Friday I teach a fitness and nutrition curriculum to elementary school children. I would alternate between recreation and nutrition days.
Pros
open nutrition discuss with the children
Cons
no benefits
Great college or seasonal job
Recreation Aide (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 3, 2014
Playing games with kids, How cool is that??

Learned how to manage 55 youths by myself with no issues.

Patience is a virtue.

The kids will remember you forever! that's both a pro and a con.
Pros
easy money, summer fun
Cons
supervisors can be selfish
As far as my division,small unit, but very effective and knowledgeable
Personnel Technician (Current Employee) –  Sacramento CAJanuary 2, 2013
Majority of the folks here have been with the City for a long time.
They know how the city operates and are very resourceful.
Pros
downtown is a great atmosphere to work.
Cons
paying to park.