City of Sacramento Employee Reviews

Management who cares about it's people, a really good place to work with yearly picnics.
Traffic Worker (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 11, 2016
The work was good, coworkers were nice and helped you in the learning process. Team work is important and I learned a lot in the time I was there. Management is good and had an open door policy.
There were a lot of enjoyable days in this Job. The work was hard, but there was a lot of laughter. You got all your breaks and management kept you informed.
The different divisions don't get along, but work together.
Pros
Management, coworkers, healthcare, hours
Cons
separation of divisions.
Coolest first job.
Paid Intern (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 14, 2016
The days varied depending on the event I worked. I learned how to use garden tools, lead other volunteers, data management, filing, and so much more. I also did recruitment and promoting of the program. My coworkers have have become life-long friends and my supervisor was like a second mom to me. The hardest part of the job was being outside all the time. The best part was meeting new people, seeing the difference after an event was over.
Pros
meeting new people, learning new skills, being a leader
Cons
long days, heat
A good public organization
Business Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 10, 2016
A good company to work for. A lot of diversity with unlimited opportunities for individuals at all levels of experience.
Working in Education
Human Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 14, 2016
Loved everything about it, but challenges come with working with education and recreation. The pay is horrible unless it is a Summer job or you are a Site Lead or Supervisor.
Fun and learning environment for students
Human Resource Program Coordinator/Program Manager (Current Employee) –  SacramentoJune 20, 2015
Overall, my position allows me for advancement at all times and gave me the opportunity to learn management skills. A typical day at work would be to manage a site of 112 students and 5 line staff. My job is to make sure that our After school program is providing a safe, fun and learning environment for our students. Facilitating and training my staffs to give the best and effective customer services to our families. The hardest part of my job is that when school is not in session we are not working and it does create a financial dent. Although, I love what I do for our young people and I've been with this company for almost 8 years. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see students attend our program and refuses to leave at the end of the day because they had fun. Making a difference in our young peoples lives is what I currently do.
Pros
Inspiring young people lives and making a difference for every avenue possible
Cons
no benefits, healthcare, not reliable, seasonal
City of trees and California breeze!
City staff (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 27, 2016
Great city with every intentions to create a diverse community worthy of capital degree! We could except failure because that would mean going backwards. Moving into the future was Key! I'd love to carry that same atmosphere into this new age feel Seattle WA!
City of trees.
Pros
It was the city where I'm from so see its progression was awesome.
Cons
It's really far from Seattle WA
Fun Environment With Children
Out of School Time Leader (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 29, 2015
Students Check in, Supper is handed out, then student go to classrooms for homework time. After staff decided what to do for the day, either outside activity or enrichment project or both. Then later all students and staff return to cafeteria for parent sign out. I learned that for students and people in general to open up to you, you need to open up to them; this also leads to an open atmosphere for any type of communication. Also not everyone can be helped but that does not mean one should give up. My Site Director was always on top of things as best as she could, but the management above her was unorganized and office politics slowed many things. For the most part staff worked well at site. Hardest part of the job was leaving because of the connections that were made there. The most enjoyable were those same connections.
Pros
Great site directors
Cons
Office politics hurt empolyees
Lots of undue pressure poor mahagment system
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 17, 2016
Loved my job but management structured poorly and no hope for change in sight. Basically one person in charge of almost every trainee decision it's a dictatorship with no salvation for those they've put their faith, time and money into.
Parks and recreation reloaded
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 9, 2014
City of Sacramento has various parks and recreation programs focused on the youth of Sacramento. This programs provides after school tutoring, enrichment activities and field trips. Many of students who come to the program are from low income families. They are able to come to these programs and have a free lunch, get help with their homework and be with their friends. The program includes various enrichment options including dance, step, choir, science and robotics and more. The management is very understanding to each students needs and allows the staff to create their own enrichment programs to meet these needs. Overall a great program for kids of all ages.
Pros
Advancement options, Great Hours, Trips
Cons
Difficult Communities, Outdoor Conditions
Working with children of the surounding neiborhood as a job is the best job because when im at work I enjoy so much it does not feel like work at all.
Building Monitor (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 30, 2016
This job allows me to work with children that are growing up how I did as a child and allows me to show them that no matter the circumstances you can always do what ever your mind is set to do and to never give up because everything around you is encouraging you in a negative way.
Pros
I do what I love for work.
Cons
The city is only part-time employment
Lots of Varying Experiences
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 26, 2012
. My scope of Experience and activities included but are not limited to; Organizing community events and fundraisers, participating in cash-handling transactions, logging and filing any and all paperwork associated with each event as well as maintaining a digital record of participants in each event, and tutoring peers and children from elementary to college level curriculum
Pros
get to choose where you work at
Cons
tough work for no pay
Productive and interacting work day in the commmunity
Recreational Aide (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 3, 2016
Very helpful resourced for patrons in the area . Varies helpful meetings to advance society in diverse ways. Hardest part of the job would probably dealing with the amount of drug use around the area. Most enjoyable part, being able to make someone else happy by just a little bit of information.
Pros
Meeting new people everyday
Cons
The high voice levels
I felt very honored to have worked for the City of Sacramento
Account Technician (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 7, 2015
My career with the City of Sacramento was very satisfying. I felt I had the best job ever! Management was great, my coworkers were great. My job was fulfilling and I felt very honored to have been employed with the City of Sacramento,.
Parking Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 12, 2015
Great place to work, great benefits and co-workers. Management has your back and they listen. Loved working outside with the public.
Outgoing Work Enviroment
Surveyor Representative (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 20, 2015
Working and dealing with people on and off of the phone. Meeting quota each hour of your shift. Always remain professional, also a lot of reading. I've learned how to multi task doing various of things effectively. I perfected to have a professional high volume voice over the phone. Also knows how to study a companies product in order to keep sales rates up. Management was fair. Co workers were helpful and friendly. The hardest part of the job is to keep consumers interest, the enjoyable part is talking to so many personalities over the phone while working.
Pros
Companies Luncheons
Cons
It was a call in job
Having to interact with the community .
Administrative Assistant/Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 4, 2014
The day starts with coffee and staff meeting , and is always very exciting to find out what projects is in store for the day.We are in Neighborhood Services so we do a lot of events for the community.The management is very understanding and enjoyable to work for. My co-workers are all awesome and we have fun working together .The hardest part of work is when we are done with a project and have to move on to the next . It is very rewarding to see how our work for the community is making peoples lives a little better.
Pros
getting to meet new people all the time .
Cons
Having to say goodbye to the people we meet .
Very diverse atmosphere
Personnel Technician (Former Employee) –  Sacramento CASeptember 25, 2015
Working for the city gives you a sense of civic duty every single day. Providing benefits to fellow personnel is gratifying in and of itself. Special events at City Hall always create a buzz of excitement.
Pros
Diverse atmosphere and variety of work required by the City
Cons
The pace of working Downtown may not be for everyone.
good
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 22, 2015
good hours&pay,friendly co workers,good trucks to work with,mechanics on site.grounds well maintained,grounds are secured well,
Pros
gym on site
Cons
some times, long hours
Nice place to work
Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 19, 2013
Love my Job. A typical day is pretty easy. Will usually consist of performing B.I.T inspections and servicing vehicles and trucks.
Pros
job security, benefits, nice shop
Cons
working around garbage, smell
Useful, productive area for silent down time
Recreation Aide (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 28, 2014
I typically come in and turn on all the computers in the computer lab. I clean the keyboards and wipe down the surrounding areas. I monitor children, teenagers and adults as they use the computer facility. It is my job to make sure they are well behaved and viewing "appropriate" material on the computers. I also help set up email and social media accounts and show consumers how to navigate the internet.
(Some also meet here to study and complete projects and/or homework)
Pros
Quiet, productive enviroment
Cons
No room for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Sacramento. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2