City of Santa Ana Employee Reviews

Field activity very enjoyable
Business License Inspector/Collector (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAFebruary 1, 2016
Helping the local businesses with their licensing needs has given me the opportunity to work with many different and unique needs that a growing company requires. Good listening skills, time management and some compassion has been critical in helping small businesses succeed and helping them know the avenues to go to for additional help (ie. Small Business Administration, Chamber of Commerce, Redevelopment Agency). Good staffing that work together when out in the field to answer phone in questions & problems has helped make this position effective. Management is somewhat out of touch with the businesses needs and focuses for on government issues that are not always the most effective process to this local agency. The hardest part has been not having management working with the employees and the constituents more and causing more hardship on these same people through lack of contact with the public.
Pros
good benefits & retirement packages
Cons
low concern for local business's & their needs
Friendly Staff
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJanuary 27, 2016
The Staff at the City of Santa ana Library are pretty Friendly, unfortunately, unless you are a full time staff they won't give you benefits and to be a full time staff is near imposible.
Typical government work
PROPERTY MANAGER OF SARTC (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CANovember 19, 2015
I was left alone to manage the SARTC, the Santa Ana Regional Transportation Center with over 3,000 passengers using the facility on a daily basis. The people working at the train station were the best and made it worth staying on the job. Government PC was ever present and difficult to deal with. I truly enjoyed bringing the SARTC up to a high standard as it is a beautiful building worth saving. It was only a temporary job for 999 hours. I miss working there from a stand point of the people and what the building stands for.
Pros
I love property maintenance
Cons
Working for a governamental agency.
Understanding Seniors
CA-Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAOctober 14, 2015
I've learned to be patient and listen...
Working with seniors you learn to listen and be patient. I enjoy working with them, the hardest part is hearing one of them has passed away. Once a month we would have parties to celebrate holidays or special occasions, they are so much fun to watch them dance and laugh..
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not enough time
Great for students
Program Leader II (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJuly 9, 2015
Little room for growth. Rarely are there opportunities to work extra hours. Once you reach max level of your position, your pay rate is capped out.
Incompetent management and corrupt City Council
Former Community Development/Planning employee (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJune 12, 2015
You will not get a chance to make a difference. While the City's population mostly struggles, the City leadership spends the money enriching their friends. One of the City Council members does not even live in the City.
Pros
Working downtown with all the good restaurants
Cons
City leadership and management is looting the City for personal gain
I loved it!!!:-)
Recreation Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMarch 5, 2015
My typical day was almost perfect. My co-workers were awesome! And our management was great at the time. There was no hard part of my job. I always looked forward to working.
Flexible
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAOctober 29, 2014
Being a Substitute Teacher is a challenging job that may not be for everyone.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
class decorum
Appointed position
Vice Chair Community Redevelopment and Housing (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAOctober 14, 2014
this is an temporary appointed position. The meetings are twice a month. We go over plans for development, funds distribution and housing projects pertaining to the city.
great job and pay
PROGRAM LEADER CITY OF SANTA ANA (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAOctober 6, 2014
great management
flexible time
great pay
normal day was nice and easy
set up wasnt too hard
good amount of breaks
Pretty good place.
Senior Tutor, Content Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAAugust 13, 2014
Good place to start. Needs more vision and creativity. Management is decent Workers are young and ready.
Productive facility that allows me to go beyond my duties and helps expand my knowledge
MAINTENANCE AIDE II (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CANovember 23, 2013
-check and respond emails
-walk through the entire facility to see what needs to be done
-begin doing my duties for the day; for instance, painting, cleaning, repairing any damage that the facility might need that day
-one of the most enjoyable parts of the job is being able to look at the progress that has been done to the facility day by day
Pros
great work atmosphere
Cons
not available full time
Productive and Rewarding
Senior Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CANovember 7, 2013
A day at the City is a colorful day with various unexpected duties to nice quiet moments. Management and staff are always diligently at work helping/assisting its residents taking great pride in making a change. It's rewarding working with people that trully enjoy making a difference and difficult seeing staff let go during these tough times as well.
Pros
rich culture
Cons
unknown - city's financial stability
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CASeptember 25, 2013
Client interaction, helped direct clients to the correct department in the building with the EDD center. Learned how to create directories and binders for job listings. Management was great, co-workers were helpful and friendly. The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was my first work experience in an office setting yet successful. There were no inconveniences.
Pros
friendly staff and management
Helping out the Senior population is what we do best
Senior Program Leader (Southwest Senior Center) (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CASeptember 3, 2013
Working for the City of Santa in Recreation has taught me how life can easily be change. I have being working in Senior Services for 6 years already and has taught me many lessons in life that changes one personally. A typical day at work is help Seniors with their personal issues; such as finding them help, making doctor's appointments, hearing their personal problems, even playing Bingo, cards with them. Management at the City of Santa Ana is great, they are flexible. I can say that the hardest part of my job is when a Senior citizen is asking us for help when they don't have a place to live or simply don't have enough food to get through the month until their next check. What I enjoy the most is that the Seniors see us as part of their family and the way that we bring a smile to their face when we find a solution to their problem.
Pros
going to excursions with the seniors: casinos, beach, etc
Cons
no medical insurance, 17.5 hours a week
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAApril 16, 2013
co-workers are always helpful, the hours and pay are great for students who need work while they are taking classes. Work load is moderate depending on the day.
Great for long term employment
Survey Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CADecember 20, 2012
Worked in Construction engineering. I saw plenty of changes, most good, and enjoyed my time there.
Productive and endless amount of learning experience
TRANSPORTATION ENGINEER INTERN ❖ SIGNAL OPERATIONS (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CANovember 16, 2012
Working with transportation and electrical engineers to develop the mind and prepare it for the field of engineering.
Great
Sr. Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CASeptember 20, 2012
Great experience & people. Good pay, good benefits, very good place to work.
Senior Police Records Specialist
Senior Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMay 23, 2012
I worked for the city of Santa Ana for over 20 years, the last five years or so @ 4/10 work week. I enjoyed my job, working with the public in person and over the phones. I found that working in this particular department, teamwork was very important, thus getting along with your co-workers was an essential part of this job. In all my years working for the city of Santa Ana, I found management to be fair when they had to be and disciplined when they had to, in order to balance the workplace environment.

I would say that the hardest part of my job was when I first started, learning all the different duties assigned. I thought I would never pass my probation, but thank God I did. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting assigned to different job duties, which is a rarity. Most jobs you have the same duties day in an day out, where with the position I had, we were assigned a different task each day, and in doing so, were privy to so many more opportunities to learn the different jobs that are required in law enforcement.