CITY OF SANTA BARBARA Employee Reviews

Great place to work.
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CADecember 15, 2016
City of Santa Barbara provides a clear path to success. Depending on what position you are in there are opportunities for advancement. Management is easily accessible and friendly.
Amazing organization.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJuly 10, 2016
The City of Santa Barbara is a wonderful organization to work for. They hire well and the employees care about what they do and work very hard. Management treat the employees very well. The employees work together as a team and everyone gets along well. Recurring training is provided to ensure that you are at the top of your game, and they also provide educational reimbursement. The benefits are top-notch. I loved every aspect of my job, except my long commute, which is the only reason I left. The extra two-hours + per day just got to be too much.
Pros
Flex schedule.
Cons
Long commute.
Great place to work!
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAAugust 11, 2015
Dispatched internal and external tradesmen to see to the repair and maintenance of city buildings. Data input, invoice processing, inbound phone and foot traffic. The facilities management is great and really care about the city.
Pros
the city culture
Cons
Great city and great people.
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CANovember 9, 2014
Most of my day is spent answering phones, while supporting multiple divisions of Public Works. The workload ebbs and flows from day to day.
Future employee beware
Utility Billing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  City of Santa BarbaraMay 26, 2013
The City of Santa Barbara is a very disorganized place filled with incompetant management. They will lie to employees to get what they want. They break laws. They will fire you for no reason at anytime before the one year 'probation period' is up and not even give you severence. Pass on this employer. They don't value loyalty and they don't care about the employees.
Pros
good benefits--nice retirement package if you can last that long
Cons
poor training, short staffed, disorganized, can't trust management
Beautiful on beach, nice people, heavy lifting
Maintenance Worker II (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CADecember 10, 2012
Responsible for facilities of marina boat slips and wharf. Given assignments in the morning and throughout the day, everything from phone and data line repair to pile driving and heavy construction. I was able to work with master tradesman and learned many skills-too much to list. Many members on the crew were injured from heavy lifting in the past. Often I was the only healthy back on the crew and felt I needed to try to change procedure. This failed, eventually I left before becoming injured myself.
Pros
pay, benefits, working on the beach, nice people
Cons
heavy lifting, injured co-workers
learning curve of management
Santa Barbara Central Library (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJuly 6, 2012
Some of the mangement needed to be educated that all peoples should be treated fairly and without prejudice. When the learning curve of their employees has become amazing, meaning when a person with Autism has learned much, indeed more then their peers and more then their management. I believe it would behoove the city to make certain their management keeps up, instead of letting the employee go. How prejudice and narrow-minded of them. They should have stood up (supported)with their employee. Very narrow-minded.
Pros
some of the benefits were good.
Cons
learning curve for most of the management is extremely low and short-sighted.
Great to work with kids, great co-workers
After-school Instructor (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJuly 6, 2012
Typical day would be watching the kids, interacting with them, helping them with homework, and leading games and activities until 5 PM when the parents would pick them up. The kids were fun, the parents were grateful, worked with a great staff, and the pay was good. It was exactly the part-time I had in mind.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CITY OF SANTA BARBARA. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6