CITY OF SANTA MONICA Employee Reviews in United States

Great company with lots of growth opportunity
Staff Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAFebruary 22, 2016
City of Santa Monica is great company to work for. They have plenty of opportunies for growth and offer lots training. I presently work through Top Tempo Future Personnel. It has been very rewarding and I am happy to work for this company.
Pros
Great culture
Great city
Library Assistant ll (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 19, 2016
Great environment. Coworkers and management are easy to work with and very friendly. The location would be the most enjoyable part of the job.
Hard work.
Laborer Trainee (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CADecember 29, 2015
A typical day is very fast pace hard work you really have to pay attention to what you are doing. But the fun part was working with a great team of people. The hardest part of the job was leaving it.
Pros
A very good place to work.
Cons
The only problem was the distance I had to travel.
Great Employer
Administrative Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 6, 2015
This is a great city to work for. The employees are very nice, professional, and hard working. I unfortunately had a temporary summer position; I would love to still work there if an opportunity came up.
Great Job minus the management
Motor Coach Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica CaJuly 10, 2015
I had a wonderful 7 years working for this employer great benefits and the pay was awesome when management changed in my department that's when things started going downhill with promises not being kept, and employees being lied to. Let go while off injured because my license had gotten suspended while I was off on a injury and when I finalliy fixed the issue with my license I had meeting with management and he looked me in and my union Rep in the eyes and told us both he would bring me back if I produced a H-6 printout I gave him one in less than 24 hours and he waited over six weeks to give me answer saying he couldn't bring me back for whole another reason that the job was responsible for.
Very fast pace. but enjoyable.
Laborer Trainee (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CaJune 10, 2015
Morning meetings and excersise. my co-workers were an nice bunch of men and women. management helpful and informed. The most enjoyable part of the job was how all the employees got along. There was no hard part of the job. I received my forklift certificate and how to assemble trash receptacles and bins.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
When they cut overtime.
Fun place to work in with the community
Communnity program leader (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 26, 2015
At the City of Santa Monica its a great place to work with all types of people. This job is fast pace, you have different responsibilities and you have to be flexible. You also have to work with different types of personalities and with different agencies. You also need strong communication skills.
If you want advancement this is not where you would like to work.
Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  MOJanuary 7, 2015
Depends on who you know and where it is you want to go within the company. Overall if you keep to yourself and make the job just a job you will be o.k.!
Fun city to work in!
Staff Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 1, 2014
I had a great time working at the City of Santa Monica.

The work was both fun and challenging. I learned a lot about the intricacies of planning and development, along with how this City remains strong and efficient.

My co-workers were a pleasure to work with and with teamwork, we managed to get through difficult moments in a day.
Pros
1 block from the beach, fabulous eateries, shopping
Laborer Trainee Position review only
Laborer Trainee (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMay 30, 2014
What am unorganized department (recycling) for the laborer trainee position. You start by not knowing what you have to do, who to talk to, what uniform to wear and how the process works. Once you are giving an assignment then reality hits & you get treated bad from management & seniority piers. Also watch out because it's very hard to promote unless you have a class A or B license. If you don't you will be working hard forever without a future.
Pros
long lunch breaks, good people to work with
Cons
plenty: you never know when you are going to work again from day to day, you never know your assignment until last minute, management is a joke & unwilling to help & look down on you

Want to know more about CITY OF SANTA MONICA?

Ask a question
great place to work
Sanitation Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 31, 2014
drove sanitation truck love to drive and being on the road
working with trash truck and the sanitation dept. and customer to make them happy.
Pros
love to drive
Cons
smell of the trash
A fantastic experience
Guest Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 27, 2013
Great working experience in a 5 star hotel with guest from all over the world. Many guests were very "high profile" in government, the entertainment industry, and corporate leaders.

Worked with a strong team.

Every day was a different day even though you may handle similar requests daily. People's expectations were high and sometimes unusual. Loved the diversity.

Management changes regularly, which is the same in every day life situations.
Pros
paid lunches, because you are always on call.
Cons
no set schedules with regards to days of the week or hours worked.
I was EXCITED about Public Transportation and being part of a very GREEN organization.
Community & Cultural Services Staff Assistant II (Former Employee) –  1660 7TH Street, Santa Monica CA 90401January 8, 2013
My day mostly consisted of providing assistance to department leaders and other assistants.

I learned a lot about providing the mass public with information, planning and conducting community meetings.

The division management was tiered in such a way that I worked closely with several 'bosses' on a regular basis.

My co-workers were friendly, helpful and committed to our team's success as a whole.

The hardest part of the job initially was map reading/making and the CONSTANT CHANGE. You had to stay on your toes and just when you got the hang of something...BAM...it changes and you have to learn/create/design/develop something new.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that it was EVER CHANGING. There was always something NEW! New ROUTES, New BUSES. New SCHEDULES, New FACILITIES, EQUIPMENT, TECHNOLOGIES, etc..... It was VERY INTERESTING....always learning, always growing!
Pros
free public transportation
Cons
long term temporary position
Community/Promenade and Pier Maintenace
Groundskeeper/Custodian (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAApril 22, 2012
Groundskeeper walking sweeping picking up litter from walkways, streets, alleys, sidewalks, gutter, drains. City owned parking structures and other public use areas. Driving City vehicles policing alleys removing trash and bulky items and the surrounding community. Restroom attendant cleaning, disinfects and replenishes supplies in restrooms. Sweeping and washing down stairways. Cleaned stainless steel elevators floors and walls. Cleaned up human waste and disinfects area. Performs a variety of unskilled maintenance tasks including removing gum, cleaning tree wells, water fountains and bases of light posts, structure signs. Removes graffiti by applying cleaning solutions. Replace City trash cans. Most enjoyable i would say assisting the community and tourist, the scenery of the beach just enlighten you to have a productive day.
Pros
being outdoors
Cons
as needed
Extra incentives weight, workout rooms and showers. Lunch room facilities, microwave, tv's and machines with healthy food items.
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 20, 2012
Excellent benefit package. Overall management is very helpful and
knowledgeable in their fields. Excellent training staff.
Pros
training, seminar classes, free education programs
Cons
not enough manpower, lot of overtime
Great Hours, great staff, and great pay.
Staff II of Community Programs (Current Employee) –  Ken Edwards CenterMarch 9, 2012
The hours are flexible, most of the staff are friendly, and the pay is awesome! Hours are great if you are a full-time student or have two jobs. When you work for the City of SM you are considered apart of a family. I started out at $17.00 per hour and now make $21.00 in an entry level position.
Pros
everything!
Cons
nothing!