City of Savannah Employee Reviews

Large turnover
Communications Specialist Supervisor/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 9, 2016
I loved the job. Every day was different. The politics involved had a negative impact on retaining quality personnel. The benefits were good and leave time was above most employers.
Pros
Leave and benifit packages
Cons
Always under staffed
Great place to work!
Senior Human Resources Analyst (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 12, 2016
I enjoyed my many years at the City of Savannah. They have an excellent benefits package and the people are a pleasure!

I learned a lot about the City and the local government. I grew to know the community and it's needs. The employees at City of Savannah are passionate about what they do and who they serve.
It was a place were you wore different hats
Property Maintenance/ Housing Inspector (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 30, 2016
Learning how to do application for people whom trying to buy their dream home. Getting ready to teach how their credit should be. How to make change to the Housing Department for Construction workers. Having checks ready. Inventor ready. Having all the paper work for the Inspector . Put the money in the property account. Being to work on time. Making sure everyone is accounted for.
Pros
Have lunch for everyone
Cons
Surprise birthday awards just a little thank you
productive
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 12, 2016
I enjoyed this work,could have been better management,or better english speaking management. the conditions were a bit much but you have to deal with it and move on
Great Benefits / Varies between departments
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 22, 2016
The City of Savannah varies from department to department. However, certain departments lack effective management professionals.
Pros
Wonderful benefits
Cons
In need of an organizational overhaul
This job can be great
Santation Worker (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 20, 2015
I've learned throughout the times I've worked here you have to remain patience because it was always a negative energy flowing around . You would think the management in charge would run a better foundation but they're too concerned on whats going on in other peoples lives when they are so many complaints about the routes not getting picked up the schedule times . I also proven myself numerous of times that I deserve a raise. I learn and move quicker when I`m doing the assignment than your average working man and a team leader . I could get along and work well with all of my coworkers.
Pros
A better management
Cons
short breaks, Favortism
Job description
Residential Refuse Operator (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 30, 2016
The job is awesome but the manager there donna davis is not good at all she shows favoritism and dont like to hear her employess out all she do is judge people based on what she hears and that is not good
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 26, 2016
I had a lot of fun, lots of training available, met lots of awesome people and your coworkers seemed to care about you. Room for advancement here.
Great stepping stone job.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 1, 2016
Working for the city enabled me to go back to school and obtain a degree. I learned to work with others to get the job done. Working outside was very much enjoyable, but the hardest part of the job was its uneducated management.
Great job, enjoyable, teaches you to become repsonsible
Senior Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 10, 2016
Hardest part about being the senior lifeguard would be having to be a boss to people around your age and to your friends. Your co-workers vary because you could have either good or bad workers, but for the main part they get their part of the job done, the most enjoyable part would be the fact you actually are doing good for the community; saving lives and teaching kids water safety and how to survive in the water. With this job I learned responsibility, how to manage time, how to sacrifice things, and how to be a supervisor and also still be a friend. A regular day being a lifeguard consists of cleaning the pool and pool area in the morning, teaching lessons, going on break, coming back for free swim (this is when you lifeguard), having swim team practice, cleaning the bathrooms after free swim, teaching more lessons in the afternoon, and then your day is done.
Pros
great money, fun
Cons
not many breaks, hot, kids can be nuisances, long hours
The city was a great place to work, but the work environment was not the best for career growth or true development.
Human Resources Analyst (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 29, 2016
Management is not qualified for their positions nor do they operate fairly. In my opinion there is only success for people who are members of the "Good Ole Boys Club." If you grew up in Savannah and know the right people you succeed no matter what. Those from the outside do not get the same opportunities and fail to truly prosper.
My volunteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 29, 2016
The work I did with the City of Savannah was wonderful. It made me feel good that I made so many people happy by helping them. The most enjoyable part of working with them is the people that are helped in the process, they are very grateful for our volunteering
Pray that you don't work in the Water Dept
Former Cashier Water Dept (Current Employee) –  SCCPDApril 6, 2013
The cashier position is an entry level position. You do not take breaks. The environment is customer driven and very busy. Co-workers can be very nice, but are afraid of the supervisor. The supervisor has been there forever and all she does is clip coupons all day. She is very, very nosey and wants to make sure you are not going to get her job. She shows favortism to male workers. So if you are an intelligent female, forget it. That's why there are mainly young men working there. The supervisor does not get along with her supervisor, but pretends to. The training that you get is not adequate or thorough.... learn quick and don't talk to anyone. Oh, make sure u brown-nose with the supervisor and cater to her, you may last longer.
Pros
benefits, hours, professional atmosphere
Cons
no breaks, jealous & insecure management, intimidated coworkers
Making sure the utili-corders uploaded correctly for the meter readers.
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 21, 2015
Accomplishing all daily tasks that I have set for myself, along with customer service was the most enjoyable part of the job. Learning the new computer system that was complicated for other co-workers. Management worked with co-worker and myself regularly on a daily basis for any problems that occurred. A typical work day, making sure all communications uploaded to the main frame for processing.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Antiquated corporate culture; no room for advancement.
Sr Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 13, 2013
Management micro manages. Mediocrity is the norm. Able to learn a lot without the benefit of formal training. Hardest part of the job is getting the buy in from other departments throughout the project life cycle.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing users embrace new system implementation.
Pros
Benefits are OK.
Cons
No room for advancement.
my job as Parking attendant
parking services/ attendant (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 7, 2012
I work a 12hr shift on Sat and Sun from 5am to 5pm. I like working with all different ethinic background and being in a Team Player environment.
I luv my job, and benefits, but there is really not much advancement, and need a full-Time job.
Pros
good benefits, stable environment
Cons
part-time, litttle advancement
Productive and fun workplace
Camp Leader (Counselor) (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 15, 2012
Plan educational and arts and craft activities
· Instruct physical exercises and organize games
· Supervised twenty five kids
· Develop listening and thinking skills
· Keep count and records of all money raised
Could be productive and fun place at times.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 29, 2014
With proper supervision and fair work distribution it could have been a great place to work.
Pros
Benefits, staff and salary
Cons
Horrible support from management when it came to customer complaints.
Good Place to work
Maintenance Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 6, 2016
Great place to work. Wages are not so great. Budgeting issues and employee moral are always a big problem for most departments.
Great job
Permit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 6, 2014
Good company to work for, plenty of chances for advancement, benefits a plus.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Savannah. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Savannah Reviews by Location