City of Savannah Employee Reviews

Job description
Residential Refuse Operator (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 30, 2016
The job is awesome but the manager there donna davis is not good at all she shows favoritism and dont like to hear her employess out all she do is judge people based on what she hears and that is not good
Great benefits,could use more money and more more employees the turnover rate is horrible.
Sanitation Worker (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 30, 2016
The job in itself is not bad,the people there do not promote or encourage each other. Upper management seems to not care about the small people. Some of the employees do not even know who their Superiors are outside of the supervisor. The City Manager and Mayor need to come talk to the employees to see how they feel and get an understanding for what these employees do for the city of Savannah.
productive
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 12, 2016
I enjoyed this work,could have been better management,or better english speaking management. the conditions were a bit much but you have to deal with it and move on
Large turnover
Communications Specialist Supervisor/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 9, 2016
I loved the job. Every day was different. The politics involved had a negative impact on retaining quality personnel. The benefits were good and leave time was above most employers.
Pros
Leave and benifit packages
Cons
Always under staffed
It was a place were you wore different hats
Property Maintenance/ Housing Inspector (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 30, 2016
Learning how to do application for people whom trying to buy their dream home. Getting ready to teach how their credit should be. How to make change to the Housing Department for Construction workers. Having checks ready. Inventor ready. Having all the paper work for the Inspector . Put the money in the property account. Being to work on time. Making sure everyone is accounted for.
Pros
Have lunch for everyone
Cons
Surprise birthday awards just a little thank you
My volunteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 29, 2016
The work I did with the City of Savannah was wonderful. It made me feel good that I made so many people happy by helping them. The most enjoyable part of working with them is the people that are helped in the process, they are very grateful for our volunteering
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 26, 2016
I had a lot of fun, lots of training available, met lots of awesome people and your coworkers seemed to care about you. Room for advancement here.
Great stepping stone job.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 1, 2016
Working for the city enabled me to go back to school and obtain a degree. I learned to work with others to get the job done. Working outside was very much enjoyable, but the hardest part of the job was its uneducated management.
Great place to work!
Senior Human Resources Analyst (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 12, 2016
I enjoyed my many years at the City of Savannah. They have an excellent benefits package and the people are a pleasure!

I learned a lot about the City and the local government. I grew to know the community and it's needs. The employees at City of Savannah are passionate about what they do and who they serve.
The city was a great place to work, but the work environment was not the best for career growth or true development.
Human Resources Analyst (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 29, 2016
Management is not qualified for their positions nor do they operate fairly. In my opinion there is only success for people who are members of the "Good Ole Boys Club." If you grew up in Savannah and know the right people you succeed no matter what. Those from the outside do not get the same opportunities and fail to truly prosper.

Want to know more about City of Savannah?

Ask a question
Good Place to work
Maintenance Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 6, 2016
Great place to work. Wages are not so great. Budgeting issues and employee moral are always a big problem for most departments.
Outdoor Environment
Recycle Worker (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 21, 2016
The most part that is important about this job is that you are serving the community while working at the same time.Making all customers feel important in any way.
Pros
free dental, vision, health
Cons
long retirement fund
Great job, enjoyable, teaches you to become repsonsible
Senior Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 10, 2016
Hardest part about being the senior lifeguard would be having to be a boss to people around your age and to your friends. Your co-workers vary because you could have either good or bad workers, but for the main part they get their part of the job done, the most enjoyable part would be the fact you actually are doing good for the community; saving lives and teaching kids water safety and how to survive in the water. With this job I learned responsibility, how to manage time, how to sacrifice things, and how to be a supervisor and also still be a friend. A regular day being a lifeguard consists of cleaning the pool and pool area in the morning, teaching lessons, going on break, coming back for free swim (this is when you lifeguard), having swim team practice, cleaning the bathrooms after free swim, teaching more lessons in the afternoon, and then your day is done.
Pros
great money, fun
Cons
not many breaks, hot, kids can be nuisances, long hours
Great Benefits / Varies between departments
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 22, 2016
The City of Savannah varies from department to department. However, certain departments lack effective management professionals.
Pros
Wonderful benefits
Cons
In need of an organizational overhaul
Great community base working environment.
Deputy Marshall (Revenue Investigator) (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 3, 2016
The position was responsible for collections on parking citations, as well as overall code enforcement. Deputy Marshall were also responsible for searching for customers doing home visit, field work and serving subpoenas for court actions.
Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 28, 2015
A normal day at work would be answering the phone, greeting visitors, and putting in complaints from citizens. I also sent out notices via fax, email, and certified mail to property owners. My co workers were dedicated city inspectors.
Pros
I loved helping citizens.
Cons
no opportunity to advance
safe working eviroment
Refuse Driver (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 4, 2015
good longevity also good team players !!! also completing job task in a timely manner !!keeping the City of savannah beautified
Pros
team work!! when completeing route in timely fashion
Cons
40 hrs a week
No two days were alike due to the various stakeholder needs.
Director of Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 15, 2015
The staff members were very positive and supportive of each other. Staff truly cared about their role and responsibilities.
Amazing team to be a part of- Senior Maintenance Traffic Engineering
Senior Maintenance Traffic Engineering (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 16, 2015
I did light and heavy duty work here and I enjoyed it. The team was amazing and we treated each other like a family. I have learned a lot at this job and received many certifications, skills and values. My management team was very well put and went out of their way for me and my crew members to ensure we were taken care of. Overall, this was a very good job and I cannot wait for my next opportunity to move up in another company with a great position that I can feel the same about.
Excellent summer camp and great leadership!
Recreational Leader (Current Employee) –  City of SavannahJuly 31, 2015
Awesome place to work. The staff works hard to make sure that the campers are staff and are having fun. Great experience!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Savannah. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Savannah Reviews by Location