City of Savannah Employee Reviews in United States

Outdoor Environment
Recycle Worker (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 21, 2016
The most part that is important about this job is that you are serving the community while working at the same time.Making all customers feel important in any way.
Pros
free dental, vision, health
Cons
long retirement fund
Great job, enjoyable, teaches you to become repsonsible
Senior Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 10, 2016
Hardest part about being the senior lifeguard would be having to be a boss to people around your age and to your friends. Your co-workers vary because you could have either good or bad workers, but for the main part they get their part of the job done, the most enjoyable part would be the fact you actually are doing good for the community; saving lives and teaching kids water safety and how to survive in the water. With this job I learned responsibility, how to manage time, how to sacrifice things, and how to be a supervisor and also still be a friend. A regular day being a lifeguard consists of cleaning the pool and pool area in the morning, teaching lessons, going on break, coming back for free swim (this is when you lifeguard), having swim team practice, cleaning the bathrooms after free swim, teaching more lessons in the afternoon, and then your day is done.
Pros
great money, fun
Cons
not many breaks, hot, kids can be nuisances, long hours
Great Benefits / Varies between departments
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 22, 2016
The City of Savannah varies from department to department. However, certain departments lack effective management professionals.
Pros
Wonderful benefits
Cons
In need of an organizational overhaul
Great community base working environment.
Deputy Marshall (Revenue Investigator) (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 3, 2016
The position was responsible for collections on parking citations, as well as overall code enforcement. Deputy Marshall were also responsible for searching for customers doing home visit, field work and serving subpoenas for court actions.
Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 28, 2015
A normal day at work would be answering the phone, greeting visitors, and putting in complaints from citizens. I also sent out notices via fax, email, and certified mail to property owners. My co workers were dedicated city inspectors.
Pros
I loved helping citizens.
Cons
no opportunity to advance
safe working eviroment
Refuse Driver (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 4, 2015
good longevity also good team players !!! also completing job task in a timely manner !!keeping the City of savannah beautified
Pros
team work!! when completeing route in timely fashion
Cons
40 hrs a week
No two days were alike due to the various stakeholder needs.
Director of Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 15, 2015
The staff members were very positive and supportive of each other. Staff truly cared about their role and responsibilities.
Amazing team to be a part of- Senior Maintenance Traffic Engineering
Senior Maintenance Traffic Engineering (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 16, 2015
I did light and heavy duty work here and I enjoyed it. The team was amazing and we treated each other like a family. I have learned a lot at this job and received many certifications, skills and values. My management team was very well put and went out of their way for me and my crew members to ensure we were taken care of. Overall, this was a very good job and I cannot wait for my next opportunity to move up in another company with a great position that I can feel the same about.
Excellent summer camp and great leadership!
Recreational Leader (Current Employee) –  City of SavannahJuly 31, 2015
Awesome place to work. The staff works hard to make sure that the campers are staff and are having fun. Great experience!
A typical day
Senior Code Officer (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 20, 2015
A typical day would be to print out a list of inspections for several neighborhoods at a time, conduct those inspections while interacting with the public, and to provide updates on all work starting at 3 pm daily. Through the daily functions I learned time management skills and how to solve issues without having to call a supervisor. i was able to assist my co-workers daily and we were close net. the hardest part of the job was to get the public to understand the process of getting things completed. I always believe in quality over quantity. The most enjoyable part of the job was putting a smile on someone's face.
great place to work/low wages
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  savannahJuly 19, 2015
Would have stayed longer if was able to make for money hourly.
Besides that great place to learn new ways to fix broken down diesel vehicles.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
low wages
Making sure the utili-corders uploaded correctly for the meter readers.
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 21, 2015
Accomplishing all daily tasks that I have set for myself, along with customer service was the most enjoyable part of the job. Learning the new computer system that was complicated for other co-workers. Management worked with co-worker and myself regularly on a daily basis for any problems that occurred. A typical work day, making sure all communications uploaded to the main frame for processing.
Pros
Excellent benefits
This job can be great
Santation Worker (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 20, 2015
I've learned throughout the times I've worked here you have to remain patience because it was always a negative energy flowing around . You would think the management in charge would run a better foundation but they're too concerned on whats going on in other peoples lives when they are so many complaints about the routes not getting picked up the schedule times . I also proven myself numerous of times that I deserve a raise. I learn and move quicker when I`m doing the assignment than your average working man and a team leader . I could get along and work well with all of my coworkers.
Pros
A better management
Cons
short breaks, Favortism
Good Public Service Organization
Director of Cultural Affairs (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 12, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the public in regards to addressing their concerns or providing a quality product/service, which government isn't always know for.
Pros
Work place balance is good
Cons
Organizational support is lacking at times
Fun place to work.
Recreational Services Leader (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAMarch 11, 2015
Work is typically starting with overseeing recreational activity during open gym, which is a time for the community to enjoy the recreational center. The center endoreses and provides Pool, Basketball, outdoor activities, and computer activities.
A great job and ability to meet and network with people.
Buyer/Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 23, 2015
This is an excellent place to work at and network with people. I enjoy meeting new people and working with the Mayor, City Manager and Council members.
Work
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 21, 2015
A work day as a lifeguard isn't stressful. You just have to make sure everyone follows the rules.In the mornings we taught kids how to swim and in the afternoons we watch the kids in the neighborhood swim and be safe in the water.
Pros
its just a fun summer job to do
Cons
the heat
Diverse atmosphere, multi-skill's necessary
Garage Attendant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 26, 2015
Daily duties would include customer contact, cash handling, and balancing paperwork at the end of the evening. Phone contact- we provided a lot of information for customers concerning the parking lots and navigating the city ( mostly vacationers).
We had our regular customer who's contact and contract info was recorded along with their monthly payments.
Management was not usually on hand- attendants are self motivated workers.
dealing with gate problems ( gate not lifting-card scanner not receiving information ) while dealing with in-person contact was difficulty but manageable.
I enjoyed working on my own- keeping my work up to date and helping my customers with information.
Pros
work with little or no supervision
Cons
short to non-existant breaks, mechanical malfunctions of equipment
Productive workplace that stayed busy
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 13, 2014
I typical day of work will usually start off with me repairing a hydraulic line that has been broken off the day before. I have learned by this experience how to fabricate hydraulic line fairly efficient. Management was average. The hardest part of the job was just dealing with the different smells coming from the trash trucks when they break down. The most enjoyable part of the job was working on different types of diesel engines, in trucks, and power equipment,
Pros
close to home
Cons
weather
loved being a police officer hated working for the city.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 2, 2014
great job, has potential to be a great dept. The city is run poorly.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
poorly run city, corruption, to much crime in the city