City of Scottsdale Employee Reviews in United States

The crime lab is a horrible work environment
Forensic Scientist III (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 9, 2016
The management is unsympathetic to any job issues and will fire you with no mediation. There is no possibility for advancement as they will not promote employees unless they are in the personal BFF club of the manager. STAY AWAY
Pros
Excellent benefits and a nice lab
Cons
You will be fired if you make a mistake
Excellent place to work
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 16, 2015
I really enjoyed my experience working at the City of Scottsdale. I learned quite a bit, there was never a dull moment and the city gave me raises every year with the exception of the last year when the city had a freeze, however, I continued to have a job.
Pros
Lots of opportunity to grow and learnd
Cons
some management was not always best management
Best of the Best
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 2, 2015
The most rewarding job in my career - working with the most talented and dedicated people. Top notch talent and state of the art equipment dedicated to providing visitors and citizens the best experience possible.
Pros
Management, Safety, Quality, Communication
Cons
The HEAT - it's a 24*7 job and it is hot in AZ!
fun place to work
Youth Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 20, 2015
coached elementary school kids in basketball. Gained valuable experience being able to lead and set good examples for a younger group of people. I enjoyed having fun enhancing skills in the sport of basketball and teaching. The hardest part of this job was controlling the kids at times. I really enjoyed working with my co-workers, and we have developed a friendship outside of work. Management did a great job in setting me up for success by providing materials and guidelines in how to handle the kids when they got restless at times.
Pros
time went by fast, very fun job
Cons
driving distance, frustration with kids at points.
Great Human Resources team
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 7, 2015
I interned in the Human Resources Department for one semester of graduate school. The HR team is professional, helpful, and knowledgeable, in addition to being easy to work with. They all really care about their jobs and about their internal customers.

During this time, I interacted with employees from many City of Scottsdale departments. Without exception, they made me feel welcomed and relevant.

I highly recommend working here.
Pros
Great co-workers, good perks such as fitness facility access
Police Officer Recruit
Police Officer Recruit (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 18, 2015
Excellent career and great employer. The City of Scottsdale is a great place to work for and they have a great culture and people focused staff.
Pros
Great location, excellent people.
Cons
High risk career. Personal safety on the line.
City of Scottsdale is a good place to work
POLICE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 12, 2015
The City of Scottsdale is a good place to work. There are many positions and good benefits. Politics plays important role in job advancement and pay raises. Overall a good place to work
Fantastic place to work
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale AZJune 15, 2015
Worked there for 12 years and loved every minute of it. Worked with a great group of professionals.

Loved working with the public.
Challenging and enjoyable workplace with an excellent staff.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 12, 2015
I learned many skills to prepare myself to take a management position. I worked with people and became very confident and independent in dealing with any obstacles in the public.I loved my coworkers and enjoyed each shift.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 24, 2015
A typical day is maintaining and landscaping of the city property. I learned a lot about how to maintain the care of all plants. The management and co-workers were easy to get along with and great to work with.
Pros
great work hours
Cons
work week schedule
Great place to work long term
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 22, 2015
The job is a great job with security and benefits to working here. The management and counsel however are not friendly nor do they typically back what the employees do.
Good part-time job in high school
Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 29, 2013
A typical day in this position varied from day to day but consisted of yard work of some sort, such as pulling weeds, mowing lawns, trimming shrubs, pruning trees, painting, or installing rock landscapes. Management was effective and co-workers were easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was it was outside labor in Arizona, all times of the year, but luckily it was just a part time job during high school, with only about 10 hours a week. This job taught me hard work and perseverance and I enjoyed the fun times during break with my coworkers.
Fun workplace, minimal supervision needed
Volleyball Referee (Former Employee) –  ScottsdaleApril 30, 2014
I knew the rules already so I didn't need much supervision. Wasn't there long enough to get to know co-workers. Hardest part was being patient with the parents who complained about the rules because it was not a serious league (2nd-6th grade). Enjoyable getting to share my knowledge and work with kids.
Great first job
Recreation Leader I & II (Former Employee) –  ScottsdaleFebruary 7, 2013
I really loved my time with the Boys and Girls Club. I was still in High School when I started. It was a great experience in how to lead, how to be lead, and how to set an example for the children and volunteers I was charged with supervising.
Pros
the kids, co-workers, and the job.
Cons
the money and management.
worked with a variety of different software
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 24, 2014
Great place to work, especially in customer service. Very friendly co-workers, great opportunity to learn new things
Pros
wide variety of duties
Cons
need to realize my own limitations
Challenging Work Environment
Project Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 20, 2014
Great places to eat! I learned about Capital Project Management. Flexible work hours, which was nice.
Pros
great restaurants
Cons
lack of advancement
An Active Work Place
Recreation Leader I & II (Former Employee) –  ScottsdaleFebruary 7, 2013
I learned a lot about a lot of things while working for the City's Parks and Rec. services. I learned policies, assisted clients, engaged the public, and picked up clerical skills, Etc.
Pros
the exercise, the parks, the public.
Cons
the hours and the support.
Nice place to work
LIABILITY CLAIMS ADJUSTER (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJanuary 15, 2013
Used to be a great place to work and advance your career. Promoted growth and leadership with tuition reimbursement and promotions from within.
Pros
good people
Cons
discontinued tuition reimbursement
Fun work environment
Management (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 17, 2013
Great place to work. Only issue was the pay. I loved the fact that the City also provided excellent health care benefits. I would have remained if the pay matched my job title.
Pros
great colleagues
Cons
compensation
Rewarding
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 17, 2012
Can be a rewarding job if its what your passionate about. The job can be stressful at times but also can be fun. Its a place where everyone has each others back and each person is accountable for themselves.

4.2