City of Scottsdale Employee Reviews

Great work environement
Maintenace/ Custodian (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 28, 2017
Constantly busy always learning, operating vehicles and machinery, a great learning experience, your co-workers are very supportive and knowledgeable.
Day to Day
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 25, 2017
A typical day for my position consist of class scheduling and taking payments from customers who intend to play tennis on our court tennis courts. I have had always had good working relationships with others and especially with the customers who come into the buildings.
Love sport and kids great job.
Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZ 85250September 7, 2017
Supervise youth participants, develop relationships, ensure participants are safe, teach them sportsmanship as well as fundamentals, also supervise adult participants, ensure all rules are followed during game activity, and ensure game is controlled.
Communicate with parents on information about practice times, events. Communicate with school site manager on regular basis about the school field we will be using for that day and the practice times we are able to practice.
Pros
Flexible, Kids, Sports.
Cons
Some parents hard to deal with.
Fun workplace
Lifeguard Instructor (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 7, 2017
It is a great place to work for a starting job and is fun to work with the people for the city of Scottsdale. If you are looking for a starting job then this is a place to be.
All smoke and mirrors
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 22, 2017
This job had the potential to be great, but management and politics got in the way. Favoritism and hypocrisy run the place. A lack of knowledge about the actual employees and their workplace needs was huge and people that had been there for years were doted over when they did nothing but create drama and wasted time in the workplace.
Pros
Great benefits
Fun place to work
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 25, 2017
Parks and Recs is fun, exciting and different every day. Management was laid back, and supportive. Working on your own for the most part. Best part was management.
Great work environment
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 9, 2017
Great place for entry level work. As well as working yourself through the company. Full of different areas which anyone can be apart of. Picking up shifts is so easy
Job security in government
Recreation Leader II (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 5, 2017
Been working for the city of Scottsdale for almost 10 years now. It has great benefits and is a very secure job. With any job there are people that are really committed and there are some that are just here for the paycheck. Overall a great place to work.
Pros
Flexible with schedule
Cons
No real cons.
Co worker are great and helpful, Managment not so good
Water Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 25, 2017
In day to day operations my job is good. I get assigned my work, prepare my vehicle and go complete my work without anyone breathing down my neck. Benefits are great, and hours are awesome. When it comes to management, that is not so great. Many of my co workers have 10 plus years in the field. So a lot of them have some really great ideas on how to make day to day operations run more efficiently for everyone, but when they voice their opinions and concerns they are ignored by management.
Pros
Hours, Benfits
Cons
Management, No advancement in this department
Good start place if you want to get court experience
Court Clerk I (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 9, 2017
Great benefits, alternative work week scheduled offered, on the job training, room for advancement. Three teams to rotate to. High volume of work. Tution reimbursement through the city
Great people and management
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Parks and PresereveMarch 24, 2017
I enjoyed working for the city. Great benefits and opportunities, but overall great staff and management. I still stay in touch with my old coworkers to this day. I wasn't with them very long before deciding to pursue a Graduate degree in another state, but I don't regret working here and would highly encourage being part of this workforce.
Pros
Great staff, management, and opportunities.
Cons
Traffic can get a little crazy to and from work.
Great culture during 80s and 90s, not so much after mid-2000s
Management (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJanuary 9, 2017
City had a well-deserved reputation for innovation and great employee morale until the mid-2000s. That all changed, primarily because of change in the political environment and resulting changes in management. In previous decades, there was an abundance of mutual respect among political leadership and staff. In more recent years, significant portion of the political leadership has adopted "government as the enemy" philosophy and been far less willing to take risks, trust staff and be entrepreneurial. Morale, productivity have suffered as a result. I have been away for several years, so things may be improving now.
Millenials Paradise
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 15, 2016
After School programs
Summer Programs
Park and Desk Shifts
Not a lot of opportunity to advance past the second level.
The same names get tossed around in similar positions that they may not deserve but they have "tenure"
Pros
Excellent hourly comp
Cons
Unless you are buddy buddy with the uppers, no chance for advancement
great co-workers
Human Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 8, 2016
City of Scottsdale is a great city to work for. Co-workers are welcoming and kind. Managers and supervisors are very hard working and knowledgeable in the field.
Cons
strict work schedule
Positive work environment
Lifeguard /Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  El Dorado AquaticsJune 8, 2016
A typical day of work lifeguarding for the city of Scottsdale consisted of maintaining vigilance over pool patrons and providing emergency care in emergency situations. A typical day also included opening and closing duties for the pool facility on top of maintaining a decent facility while cleaning up after any incidents. I learned how to obtain friendly and outstanding customer service. I got along very well with the management and my co-workers and the higher management was excellent. The hardest part of the job dealt with providing care at a level that was suitable for the EMT in emergency situations and the most enjoyable part of the job had to do with working with such a positive team of guards.
Pros
Health benefits, great pay, overall great experience
Cons
Assistant management staff
Setting the Standard
Senior Planner, Current Planning Department (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 5, 2016
Scottsdale had a higher bar than most communities to reach in dealing with land development issues and addressing community expectations. Finding the balance was always in flux but with effective communication the path could be understood.
The crime lab is a horrible work environment
Forensic Scientist III (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 9, 2016
The management is unsympathetic to any job issues and will fire you with no mediation. There is no possibility for advancement as they will not promote employees unless they are in the personal BFF club of the manager. STAY AWAY
Pros
Excellent benefits and a nice lab
Cons
You will be fired if you make a mistake
Great workplace!
Site Supervisor, Mohave Middle School (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 16, 2015
Great leadership and fun work! This was one of my favorite jobs. I enjoyed teaching and inspiring kids. The management was some of the best I've ever had.
Excellent place to work
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 16, 2015
I really enjoyed my experience working at the City of Scottsdale. I learned quite a bit, there was never a dull moment and the city gave me raises every year with the exception of the last year when the city had a freeze, however, I continued to have a job.
Pros
Lots of opportunity to grow and learnd
Cons
some management was not always best management
Best of the Best
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 2, 2015
The most rewarding job in my career - working with the most talented and dedicated people. Top notch talent and state of the art equipment dedicated to providing visitors and citizens the best experience possible.
Pros
Management, Safety, Quality, Communication
Cons
The HEAT - it's a 24*7 job and it is hot in AZ!