City of Scottsdale Employee Reviews

Co worker are great and helpful, Managment not so good
Water Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 25, 2017
In day to day operations my job is good. I get assigned my work, prepare my vehicle and go complete my work without anyone breathing down my neck. Benefits are great, and hours are awesome. When it comes to management, that is not so great. Many of my co workers have 10 plus years in the field. So a lot of them have some really great ideas on how to make day to day operations run more efficiently for everyone, but when they voice their opinions and concerns they are ignored by management.
Pros
Hours, Benfits
Cons
Management, No advancement in this department
Great people and management
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Parks and PresereveMarch 24, 2017
I enjoyed working for the city. Great benefits and opportunities, but overall great staff and management. I still stay in touch with my old coworkers to this day. I wasn't with them very long before deciding to pursue a Graduate degree in another state, but I don't regret working here and would highly encourage being part of this workforce.
Pros
Great staff, management, and opportunities.
Cons
Traffic can get a little crazy to and from work.
Great culture during 80s and 90s, not so much after mid-2000s
Management (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJanuary 9, 2017
City had a well-deserved reputation for innovation and great employee morale until the mid-2000s. That all changed, primarily because of change in the political environment and resulting changes in management. In previous decades, there was an abundance of mutual respect among political leadership and staff. In more recent years, significant portion of the political leadership has adopted "government as the enemy" philosophy and been far less willing to take risks, trust staff and be entrepreneurial. Morale, productivity have suffered as a result. I have been away for several years, so things may be improving now.
Millenials Paradise
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 15, 2016
After School programs
Summer Programs
Park and Desk Shifts
Not a lot of opportunity to advance past the second level.
The same names get tossed around in similar positions that they may not deserve but they have "tenure"
Pros
Excellent hourly comp
Cons
Unless you are buddy buddy with the uppers, no chance for advancement
great co-workers
Human Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 8, 2016
City of Scottsdale is a great city to work for. Co-workers are welcoming and kind. Managers and supervisors are very hard working and knowledgeable in the field.
Cons
strict work schedule
Positive work environment
Lifeguard /Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  El Dorado AquaticsJune 8, 2016
A typical day of work lifeguarding for the city of Scottsdale consisted of maintaining vigilance over pool patrons and providing emergency care in emergency situations. A typical day also included opening and closing duties for the pool facility on top of maintaining a decent facility while cleaning up after any incidents. I learned how to obtain friendly and outstanding customer service. I got along very well with the management and my co-workers and the higher management was excellent. The hardest part of the job dealt with providing care at a level that was suitable for the EMT in emergency situations and the most enjoyable part of the job had to do with working with such a positive team of guards.
Pros
Health benefits, great pay, overall great experience
Cons
Assistant management staff
Setting the Standard
Senior Planner, Current Planning Department (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 5, 2016
Scottsdale had a higher bar than most communities to reach in dealing with land development issues and addressing community expectations. Finding the balance was always in flux but with effective communication the path could be understood.
The crime lab is a horrible work environment
Forensic Scientist III (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 9, 2016
The management is unsympathetic to any job issues and will fire you with no mediation. There is no possibility for advancement as they will not promote employees unless they are in the personal BFF club of the manager. STAY AWAY
Pros
Excellent benefits and a nice lab
Cons
You will be fired if you make a mistake
Great workplace!
Site Supervisor, Mohave Middle School (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 16, 2015
Great leadership and fun work! This was one of my favorite jobs. I enjoyed teaching and inspiring kids. The management was some of the best I've ever had.
Excellent place to work
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 16, 2015
I really enjoyed my experience working at the City of Scottsdale. I learned quite a bit, there was never a dull moment and the city gave me raises every year with the exception of the last year when the city had a freeze, however, I continued to have a job.
Pros
Lots of opportunity to grow and learnd
Cons
some management was not always best management
Best of the Best
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 2, 2015
The most rewarding job in my career - working with the most talented and dedicated people. Top notch talent and state of the art equipment dedicated to providing visitors and citizens the best experience possible.
Pros
Management, Safety, Quality, Communication
Cons
The HEAT - it's a 24*7 job and it is hot in AZ!
fun place to work
Youth Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 20, 2015
coached elementary school kids in basketball. Gained valuable experience being able to lead and set good examples for a younger group of people. I enjoyed having fun enhancing skills in the sport of basketball and teaching. The hardest part of this job was controlling the kids at times. I really enjoyed working with my co-workers, and we have developed a friendship outside of work. Management did a great job in setting me up for success by providing materials and guidelines in how to handle the kids when they got restless at times.
Pros
time went by fast, very fun job
Cons
driving distance, frustration with kids at points.
Police Officer Recruit
Police Officer Recruit (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 18, 2015
Excellent career and great employer. The City of Scottsdale is a great place to work for and they have a great culture and people focused staff.
Pros
Great location, excellent people.
Cons
High risk career. Personal safety on the line.
Fantastic place to work
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale AZJune 15, 2015
Worked there for 12 years and loved every minute of it. Worked with a great group of professionals.

Loved working with the public.
Great Human Resources team
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 7, 2015
I interned in the Human Resources Department for one semester of graduate school. The HR team is professional, helpful, and knowledgeable, in addition to being easy to work with. They all really care about their jobs and about their internal customers.

During this time, I interacted with employees from many City of Scottsdale departments. Without exception, they made me feel welcomed and relevant.

I highly recommend working here.
Pros
Great co-workers, good perks such as fitness facility access
City of Scottsdale is a good place to work
POLICE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 12, 2015
The City of Scottsdale is a good place to work. There are many positions and good benefits. Politics plays important role in job advancement and pay raises. Overall a good place to work
Great place to work long term
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 22, 2015
The job is a great job with security and benefits to working here. The management and counsel however are not friendly nor do they typically back what the employees do.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 24, 2015
A typical day is maintaining and landscaping of the city property. I learned a lot about how to maintain the care of all plants. The management and co-workers were easy to get along with and great to work with.
Pros
great work hours
Cons
work week schedule
Challenging and enjoyable workplace with an excellent staff.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 12, 2015
I learned many skills to prepare myself to take a management position. I worked with people and became very confident and independent in dealing with any obstacles in the public.I loved my coworkers and enjoyed each shift.
Challenging Work Environment
Project Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 20, 2014
Great places to eat! I learned about Capital Project Management. Flexible work hours, which was nice.
Pros
Great restaurants
Cons
Lack of Advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Scottsdale. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2