City of Seattle Employee Reviews

Heroics of a select few keep the lights on
Information Technology (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 23, 2017
Functional managers are great but the others are out of touch with reality and fail to recognize real successes and failures. The heroics of a few people keep everything going. Political whims create constant roller coasters; priorities shift weekly/daily and it is not efficient or sustainable.
Pros
Public service is fulfilling and it is never boring
Cons
Zero work/life balance; CTO is out of touch
Political
Payroll Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 14, 2017
Position too hard to get anything new implemented - the expectation was a non thinking robot expected to do as told. Too many technician processing payroll for 2000 employees. Waste of tax payer dollars.
Great environment, co-workers are great
Rec Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 31, 2017
Great location to be at. Kids are very cooperative. Located close to alot of great places to get to lunch at. Easy flowing work schedule. Responsibilities are easily outlined.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 29, 2017
Liked the culture. Job was temporary. Management in transition so a bit disorganized. Hard to find information as website was changing to SharePoint.
Pros
Hours flexible
Cons
Difficult to park, can't telecommute, have to wait to take a vacation
Great working environment.
Temporary Administrative Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 1, 2017
I enjoyed learning the city policies and procedures. We were updated and training on all changes. I enjoyed the online training we signed up for online and could take the courses at our own pace.
Pros
Great working environment.
Cons
Medical, Dental and Eye insurance
Challenging
Sr. Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 19, 2017
Fast paced environment. Must be flexible and able to change priorities routinely with frequent changes in management which is the hardest part of this job and probably what I learned most during my tenure with this employer. I enjoyed working with many of the employees and clients
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
Management did not have full understanding my specific work.
Great workplace
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 16, 2017
One of the best places to work, set hours early morning to early day. Very friendly people and bosses. Full benefits and great pay. Paid vacation and sick leave.
Pros
Cons
Working in the rain sometimes
Good groups with a few bad apples
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 1, 2017
Overall, a good group. Management is very good. As with all places, there are a few bad apples, and you can't always identify them quickly, so watch what you say to whom, and document all incidents.
Diverse workplace environment with many opportunity to advance
Crew Chief - Drainage and Wastewater (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 22, 2017
Working for SPU was absolutely one of the best jobs I have ever had. My fellow employees were always a pleasure to work with and that makes the days go by quickly. I came up through the Apprenticeship Program and within 2 years was working as a Lead Worker and started as fill-in Crew Chief when ours was off. Within a few more years, I landed an out-of-class opportunity as a Management Systems Analyst, where I learned the office side of the field work and realized that I had found my calling. Management is extremely supportive and encourages employees to apply for out-of-class opportunities for that very reason.
Pros
Amazing benefits and pay plus opportunity to advance
Cons
Traffic and parking
Excellent work lace with opportunity for growth
Lead Worker - Drainage and Wastewater (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 22, 2017
Seattle Public Utilities is an excellent place to work. Overtime is readily available for many of the field positions, but not so much in the office. It is an extremely diverse environment that prides itself on utilizing peoples strengths. Advancement opportunities are always available as long as you are motivated and work hard.
Pros
Pay and Benefits you can"t beat.
Cons
Traffic to and from work is a daily headache.
Electronic Discovery Reference Model (EDRM)
IT Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 18, 2017
Familiar with the stages of the Electronic Discovery Reference Model (EDRM) and the organization of electronically stored information (ESI).

Skilled in working under tight deadlines and high-pressure situations, while juggling multiple tasks.

Conduct analysis of complex business requirements, system upgrades, workflows, application capabilities, and collaborate with others while seeking a new solution.
Had some of the best employees!
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 16, 2017
One of the funnest jobs I have worked. Worked with funny, intelligent, and hard working individuals. Love to be in a work environment where laughter is a big part.
Industrial Hygiene Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 8, 2017
Great people to work with, managers understand work life balance. Work hours are flexible and everyone is looking to make sure that work experiences are as positive as possible.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Low pay
Best place to work
Financial Aid Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 28, 2016
I loved working here. Everyone is incredibly friendly, welcoming, and positive. I would highly recommend getting a job here. The benefits and salary are great, and the location is located a few blocks from the space needle. 10/10 would recommend.
Pros
Location and job culture
Cons
May need additional income if living in the city.
Great People, Great City, Great Organization.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 22, 2016
Learned so much in regards to law enforcement that can help set me up for many future opportunities. This city is a great place to work and gain an understanding for the difference law enforcement personnel can make in the community
Pros
GREAT BENEFITS!
ok
Maintenance Laborer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 10, 2016
I grew up within the city of Seattle I enjoyed as a youth having the opportunity to visit parks and community centers now that I have had the opportunity to work within the Seattle parks for the last 21 years it means so much to me to have the opportunity to give back to my community and other communities around Seattle
Micro managing and inappropriate behaviour
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 2, 2016
By far the worst place I have worked. I only stayed as long as I did because of the medical benefits. People are rude, disrespectful and micro manage to the point no one can talk to direct reports without the manager being there so they can record what people are requesting. Management required to know where you were even if you were making copies or going to the bathroom for a couple of mins. But was unable to handle any unexpected work to the point where the manager had a breakdown at work and freaked out and left because of a last min request. Director was just as inappropriate letting workers *( on many occasions) watch Sounders games in the meeting rooms during work hours. The director also often spoke about her support of abortion in work meetings and how they thought a person who had many of them was a great person. The entire OFE department was like this.
Pros
Great pay and awesome benifits
Cons
Micro manage, very rude people, intolerant
City of Seattle
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 22, 2016
This was an ok place to work at. The customers were great. The staff was a fun group to work with. There was to much down time during my day and not enough to do during that down time.
Cos
Administrative Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 14, 2016
Lovely place to work - unfortunate that I had to move away. Loved my boss, staff, and environment. If you are a valued employee here, it will be recognized.
Enjoyed working there.
Senior Report Developer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 4, 2016
Opportunity to work with many different data sources, Oracle, SQL Server, Sharepoint Online, Excel and Excel Online, Cache, and more. Learned a lots about a variety of data working with some great co-workers. Most difficult were some of the new managers.
Pros
Benefits are good and some of the technical direction.
Cons
Too much politics that trumps good technical common sense.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Seattle. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3