City of Seattle Employee Reviews in United States

Great for interning
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 12, 2016
I've done a lot of internships while working with the City of Seattle and meet a lot of friendly and amazing people that have helped me with evolving my job experiences.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
Administrative Support Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 1, 2016
Only reason I am leaving is due to my temp job ending. I wish I could stay because the people are amazing and the job is fast pace and it love that about it.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Money is the only good thing about this job
Meter Electrician (Former Employee) –  Seattle City LightFebruary 7, 2016
A person who wants to be part of a team, or that wants to work for a place that understands excellence, will find Seattle City Light a disappointing career dead-end.

The overal presumption is that if you are a craft person, you must not have a lot of ambition in the first place, or you'd have gone to college and done something that actually matters.

The city is putting a fair amount of money into apprenticeship, having found that craft people are becoming extremely hard to find. That's highly ironic, considering that the way they treat their craft people once they have them is so bad they don't stay.

The "Women in the Trades" open house has to be staffed by men, because it's almost impossible to find women with anything good to say about the craft environment in City Light. It's nearly impossible to find men too, but they use people who are very new and haven't found out what it's really like.

If you only want money, and absolutely don't care about anything else, you might possibly find City Light stomach-able.

Anyone else should definitely pass on this place.
Pros
Not organized enough to make people work hard.
Cons
Not organized enough to give much meaningful support.
Great Company with a diverse culture of people
Accounting Technician II (Temporary Timekeeper) (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 26, 2016
A typical day at work would be to do data entry of 100 timesheets, audit of timesheets for hours, new employees, missing employees. Processing of expense vouchers for meals and mileage, audit of vacation and sickleave and w.o.#'s for corrections. Answer any customer service questions from supervisor's or crew chiefs. Filing and printing out reports for review.
Pros
Free lunches, water, Free Transportation
Cons
Great medical health care benefits
Had awesome time working in a office with great co-worker
Office Assistant- Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 19, 2015
On my first day of work, my old supervisor tired to dominated me by not giving me a good training. I told her that I am a learner and I will get everything once am done with this training. I learned that talking to them in a calm way and always showing that we care about them would make them control their angry because I understand that they might going though though day. My coworker was nice and supportive and always want to see my smile every time they sees me.
Pros
Can take break whenever I want, supportive supervisor
Cons
No healthcare
Multi cultural surroundings diverse workplace.
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 24, 2015
One of the most rewarding careers ive had. Had a significant impact on my development with leadership and working with the youth. Overall my experience helped me advance as a person and co-worker.
Productive work atmosphere
Laborer, Maintanence (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 19, 2015
- Excellent work ethics
- Positive working environment
- Clear and efficient instructions
- Supervisors maintain encouraging words
Pros
productivity
Cons
lack of hours
loved my job, Frontline administrastive staff, taking payments for programs held in the facility worked with teen programs
Recreational Attendant (Former Employee) –  Seattle WAAugust 6, 2015
Only reason I left was to moved to Dallas to be with my family. worked closely with teen leader planning programs for teens, planned community center activities like Christmas and Thanksgiving programs. promoting center classes and activities to all incoming and outgoing customer answers phone line and develop good problems solving skills.
Pros
Good job love it. worked with teens, community center activity planning
Cons
move to Dallas
Seattle Parks Beaches are a great place to work!
Beach Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WaJune 1, 2015
Performed lifeguard supervision, training/certification, scheduling, beach oversight, office management, and lifeguard relief.
Good Company to work for.
Cedar River Shed Forest Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Cedar River Watershed North Bend WAMay 26, 2015
Great place to work.
Good Management .
Great coworkers.
Good diversity
Stressful driving
Great job completion.
Great outdoor work and safety is job number one.
Pros
Great place to work.
Cons
Short breaks.
Under change
Director; Strategic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 14, 2015
The goals of the new administration with regard to increased efficiency are laudable and worthwhile. However, the speed and approach to reaching that goal have made the work atmosphere far less pleasant and much more unpredictable. New expectations regarding employee flexibility, coupled with lack of interest in why certain approaches have come to be, reflect that employees' goals, processes and work efforts are simply subject to change based on leadership whim, political expediency and executive sycophancy.
Pros
Truly dedicated, long-term workforce
Cons
Regular changes in leadership and leadership styles
Fiscal and Policy Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 6, 2015
This is a great place to work. I've been fulfilled while working here and the work has been challenging, meaningful, and fascinating. Truly a great place to work.
A challenging place to work with many important projects and a wide and involved client base.
Civil Engineering Specialist Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 4, 2015
As a Seattle native and resident, I have enjoyed the opportunity to design and manage many local improvement projects, and to have had a positive effect on many communities throughout the city.
Depends what you are looking for
Principal Accountant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 13, 2015
Depending on your position, but generally if you are looking for a place where you will advance, and have an engaging employment, this might not be a good fit.

A few cons:
- Slow to implement new technological changes - it is literally taking almost 5-7 years for the City to agree on what they want their new accounting system to do, with no end in sight.
- Quite a few managers make decisions about things they have no competency in. This can be very frustrating to lower level employees
- Pay - Going in make sure you understand that 10.3% of your pay is going to be docked to fund the pension fund. So if your position pays $50k, the actual pay is less than $45k before tax
- Parking - it is expensive to park downtown
- Operates in big silos - every department operates as if they are they own separate organization. This can be a good thing, but also can be a bad thing.

However, there are many pros as well:
- Job security
- Flexibility (many scheduling options are available 4x10, 9x9, etc)
- Decent benefit package
- Predictable
Pros
predictable, stable, job security
Cons
slow to make changes, pay
Truely Awarding
Administration Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle WashingtonNovember 17, 2014
Great co workers, workplace and amazing experience. Very Exciting for Administration lovers! down to earth workplace, where everyone keeps it pushing. Employees work together as a unit. I have received feedback that has helped me grow and enhance myself effectively.
I am a very friendly and engertic person that works well with the Public
City of Seattle (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 30, 2014
I have been working in the Customer Service field for 5+ years also I love working with people. I have learned so much at the conservation corp I am a team player and get along with everyone that I work with. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the public and making them happy the hardest part of my job is learning excel in the beginning but I am doing very well in it know The management is great they have a lot of support services I love all the staff.
Pros
orca card, support staff, and paid appointments for up to 2 hr per appointment no more than 2 a day
Cons
working on my knees
Administrative Specialist II-BU (Current Employee) –  North Bend, WAJuly 17, 2014
Cedar River Watershed is a very rewarding work environment both personally and professionally. I enjoy a fast-paced environment and I have learned alot while being here.
Pros
location
Cons
i am currently a temporary employee and there are no benefits.
Dpd
Human Resources Intern (Current Employee) –  SeattleJune 17, 2014
Great place to work if you have the experience to get in
DPD is making a lot of progress toward bettering Seattle
Community outreach is great
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
hard to get in
One of the best places to work.
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WashingtonMarch 29, 2014
I was a temporary employee working directly for the City of Seattle's own temporary staffing department. I started in the parking enforcement section of the Transportation Department and they wanted to hire me permanently. However they received an internal transfer from the street use section of the same department, so the manager recommended me to the Director of Transportation for the job the internal transferred employee vacated. The parking job was very boring, but the Street Use position was extremely busy, although not difficult. I was encouraged to help with the sewer counter's staff and was learning a lot there. Our street use manager retired and the person in line for the position was undercut by a new hire. This new manager seemed like he was going to be good for the department, but he ultimately was letting people go and hiring his friends and acquaintances at higher wage brackets for the same positions without going through proper channels. I was one of about one-third of the staff who was let go and many others transferred out of the department. I found out a couple of years later that he had been fired only a year or so after I left, and had also been prosecuted for his behavior. I would ultimately enjoy working for the City of Seattle again. The department was very large and I worked well with everyone. The mayor put on events were he explained that since people spend more time at work than they do at home, his ultimate goal is to make their working environment as pleasant as possible. It is no wonder that most of the people stay there for a long time.
Pros
nice office, good work/life balance, very busy workload, treated with respect by all co-workers, good benefits, decent pay, good work location, huge variety of tasks, paid 75% of bus pass.
Cons
did not use my skills, not challenging enough.
Enjoyable and fulfilling place to work.
Summer Youth Recreation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Seattle WaMarch 11, 2014
Fun working with youth and enjoyment of making a difference.
Pros
had a chance to make a real difference.
Cons
they cut the funding that was originally alloted to help youth.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Seattle. Our community is ready to answer.