CITY OF SPOKANE Employee Reviews

Fast paced high energy
Refuse Collector (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAOctober 4, 2017
Best place to work. I loved going to work everyday. I could start my route at 7:30am and finished by 12:30 1:00pm and then i was done for the day. I could relax for the day and get payed.
Pros
When you finished your route you were done for the day
Awesome Job.
Assistant City Attorney (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 26, 2017
I loved this job. I never knew what was waiting for me day to day. I frequently had an agenda waiting for me each day of what I thought I was going to get done, and then "BANG".... throw it out the window....some other new issue flew in from the Mayor's Office and we were off and running. I also absolutely adored my boss, Howard Delaney, the City Attorney, and very much felt that he was my mentor and friend. I was also blessed with a very close co-worker Elizabeth Schoedel, who worked with me very closely. As if these two weren't enough, our clients were amazing people constantly reaching for solutions to difficult and complicatied scientific and engineering issues (we represented the City's Utility Departments, which was all environmental, land use, and real estate law). Each day was so much fun. I would be very fortunate to find a job with similar characteristics once again.
Pros
Never a Dull Moment.
Cons
Sometimes Difficult to Manage Clients' Expectations.
Interesting when working, very slow days, Easy Job Good Money
Survey Technician (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJune 28, 2017
Interesting when working, very slow days, Easy Job, Good Money, Long Breaks Work place culture is hit or miss, Out side a lot on hot days. lots of driving to different locations.
Great first job as Temp Seasonal
Temp Seasonal, Fleet Services (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMay 24, 2017
I worked data entry of gas receipts from city vehicles. I also filled out purchase orders and did typical office duties like coping and filing. The only down part was there was no benefits and it was only for a certain time frame, but that was expected being it was a temp seasonal position. Great starter job!!
Management very supportive of staff
Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 13, 2017
Management very supportive of staff, and takes every effort to keep employees employed. Management makes reasonable accommodations and benefits are good.
There is a full work out facility on site.
Executive Assistant to the Mayor (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 15, 2017
Spokane was a great place to work. Friendly and helpful co-workers and there was a full gym on site. The City is beautiful and the culture at the City Hall is very friendly.
A great Summer job
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WADecember 5, 2016
I worked at the City of Spokane Engineering department during the Summer of 2014. During that I was an Inspector for a few chip-seal projects. The Inspection was fairly straight-forward. However I was really thrown into the job with little training and had sort of a trial-by-fire so to speak. My supervisor could have been a bit more enthusiastic. But all said and done it was a good job.
perfect outdoor job close to the city
Arboretum Grounds Keeper (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJune 24, 2016
a great place to be outdoors and contribute to the preservation of nature. The staff is fantastic and very knowledgeable. Be prepared to do a lot of manual labor.
Pros
great staff
Cons
high amount of manual labor
Great Benfits not good place to work not treated equally
Collector I, II, III and Labor (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 22, 2015
Have excellent Benefits not very good place to work if they don't like you they make it very hard on you and try to make you quiet
Great experience
Assistant Director of Security and Parking (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 17, 2015
Who wouldn't like a park to be your office? I enjoyed the people and my chosen line of work with the City of Spokane. I would suggest this business to anyone our of high school or in college.
Pros
Great people, fun environment, flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay, long hours, work holidays
Okay summer job
Electro-mechanical technician's Aide (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WADecember 29, 2014
get to work at 6 am and lubricate every ride in the pavilion
I learned how the rides work
City of spokane
Maintenance/Fire Watch (Former Employee) –  SPOKANE WASeptember 27, 2014
great working for the city. great people to work with and great benefits.
Lack of "ownership"
Facilities/Resource Conservation Manager (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 12, 2014
A one year contract position. No one seemed to care about the work being done.
Golf maintenance
Golf Maintenance Specialist/ Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 14, 2014
Enjoyable work outdoors with poor pay and no paid leave. Seasonal work.
Great Starting Point
Ride Operator/Lead/Cashier/Event Host (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 4, 2013
I started working with RFP when I was 16 and it is a great place for high school kids or those getting out of school and need work experience. I liked the people I work with and you are never stuck to one area, usually during events people from different areas intermingle and work different areas to provide a great day for the visitors. It can be sometimes hard to move up, but if you have the drive for it you'll do fine.
Pros
great discount, great co-workers
Cons
management sometimes can't agree and give different answers
Great team, Great Management, Great Environment
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 8, 2013
This job was a temporary/seasonal position. Even though it did not provide the job stability I now need, I am walking away with some fantastic experience. The team itself was a blast to work alongside, and management really did seem to care, even for those who were only seasonal. As a reviewer I gave it 4 stars, because even though I may have been dissatisfied with my own compensation or further advancement, the City of Spoke Solid Waste Management gave me tools to better myself at work, and in my life outside of work.
Pros
physical, team oriented.
Cons
no drive pay, seasonal/temporary.
I learned a lot in the IT feild working there.
Software Technician (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 15, 2012
I enjoyed working with everyone there. I was a very good experience for me due to all the hands on work I was able to be involved with.
Very Great work place and great people to work with
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 26, 2012
I have learned how to handle stress under stressful situations.
Pros
love working with my co-workers
Cons
job training