City of Springfield Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent opportunity for older workers
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 3, 2016
Federally funded training program housed under the City of Springfield administered by the Department of Elder Affairs Utilized my knowledge and performed various functions in-house. Enjoyed being the first contact to visitors and assisting with direction to the in-house divisions to assist their needs.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Part-time
City of Springfield, MO Health Department
Not on a bet (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMay 20, 2016
Do you enjoy odd hours, bad pay and a management style that encourages fighting among employees? Then this health department is for you! If you know someone in upper management or you're a really great brownnoser, opportunities for advancement will be designed just for you. You won't even have to compete for your new job! Who cares about legalities?

Special note for WIC job seekers: Run. Run away. It's not worth it. The managers 'manage' by listening to the opinions of favored employees. They do not care how you actually do your job, and competence is not rewarded. Witch hunts are frequent and vicious, and they are led by management. There is a reason that the average employee lasts two years. Some really wonderful, warm, caring people have been chased out of this place, and it's a crying shame, because so many good employees have gotten fed up and left. The clients are great, the job is challenging, but the managers and some coworkers are just rotten.
Pros
challenging, meaningful work
Cons
management, rotten culture
Fun Job
Enrollment Specialist and School Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MANovember 16, 2015
As a School Crossing Guard I had a great time getting to know all the children who walked to school on a daily basis.
As an Enrollment Specialist at the Parent Information Center, I enjoyed meeting with parents and their children and helping them navigate through the school registration process, many for the very first time!
Pros
Interaction with the Public
Cons
Part-time/Temporary positions
City Government, just show up each day to get paid
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, TNOctober 3, 2015
Not a good environment, too many employees playing and goofing off instead of performing their job. Management was way too lax and chose to avoid correcting behavior and rather rewarding it. Too much if your name is prominent in the area, response was "don't you know what their name and family is?" We can't discipline them as long as they show up to work everyday and it doesn't have to be on time either..
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
see review
A dead end job with no opportunity
Messenger Clerk 1 (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 14, 2015
My typical day at work involves me and one other co-worker. He constantly calls in sick and I have to cover the work load. For political reasons, they refuse to hire help for me. It is too much work for the pay.The only thing enjoyable about this job is a bi-weekly paycheck.
Good job
Golf Course Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHJanuary 14, 2016
Was really accepted to the job at first and got more confident the more you worked. Cant do much of anything if you don't practice it and work at it.
Pros
Good people. Great hours
Cons
Seasonal Job
good job
Custodian (Former Employee) –  city hallFebruary 23, 2016
I worked an 8 hour shift m-f from 4:00pm to 12:00am cleaning and maintaining springfield cityhall worked well with my co-workers as well as independently.
Has been helpful in my job search
Medical Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAOctober 14, 2015
I was given many assignments which helped me to expand my expertise in the administrative support field. The have a state of the art computer lab which has helped me in my job search
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
no health benefits
Gained knowledge and experience in the various assignments.
Medical Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Academic & Behavioral Clinic - Springfield MASeptember 30, 2015
The City of Springfield was instrumental in honing my computer and administrative support skills. I also increased my typing and people skills.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Low wages
productive
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Springfield maOctober 14, 2015
its a great place to work at, so many different people you will meet and the children are just great. always something to do, by the end of the summer you become family
Productive and goal oriented workplace.
Community Worker (Former Employee) –  Springfield, IllinoisJune 26, 2015
The Office of Community Relations worked to foster effective and considerate interactions among the city’s growing and diverse population. I prioritized tasks to meet and exceed citizen needs and expectations. While mediating resident disagreements and actively worked with others to finish projects.
fun, educating
Head Cheerleading Coach (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 8, 2015
Love working with young ladies and educating them in many aspect of life. While maintaining and establishing athletic performance I developed many fundraising and organized events with our community.
Pros
great culture learning experience
Great City
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORJuly 1, 2015
Nice people working for the City and most live in the community. The staff is interested in the growth and diversity of Springfield while maintaining the quaint small town feel that the citizens cherish.
Supportive and committed staff and administration
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAMarch 1, 2015
Dedicated and committed administration and staff to the health of population. The variety of different public health initiatives to support and engage in.
Pros
variety of public health initiatives
Cons
decreased funding
lack of management
Date entry clerk (Current Employee) –  Springfield, IllinoisMarch 5, 2015
I have worked her for 14 years and I'm ready to move on. I'm ready and willing to learn a different field. It's time for a change for me.
Pros
benefits, off holidays and weekends
Cons
only a 1/2 hr lunch and not much room for advancement
Best place I have worked for
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOFebruary 12, 2015
City of Springfield is by far the best place I have worked for, I wouldn't change it.
Nothing is ever the same boring thing everyday... its forever changing and upgrading which makes it more interesting and fun to work with
CoS
Accounting Service Rep, Workforce Development (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOApril 29, 2014
I was very excited and nervous about this job. Excited to be with the City of Springfield, room to advance, benifits, ect. Job duties were to prepare and schedule invoice for payment, general office duties, filing, and preparing for monitoring.
Personally felt very Bullied by the supervisor of this department, despite what I was told it is very political, which I expected. Co-workers for the most part where very easy to get along with and always willing to help teach new things.
Hardest part - was the supervisors intimidation.
Enjoyable - was the purpose for the facility and the people the help.
Pros
benifits
Cons
management, political
Great people to work with
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAApril 8, 2014
Always a challenging day with a great team of people there to help get the job done. Everyday is a learning experience. The hardest part of working for the city is the 6 month probabtion period, any time needed before that usually you have to take as unpaid. THe most enjoyable part of the day is knowing that you're making a difference for improvement at the end of the day.
Pros
flexible with schedule
Cons
mandatory residence and probation period
Very down home feel with big city growth
truck driver (Former Employee) –  Fordland, MOFebruary 3, 2015
7 to 3 30 work day was shown some real good safety hints while dumping gravel.
management at the fordland office was great
very informative co workers
Pros
great folks to work with
Cons
job ended way to soon
A quite place to work especially dealing difficult to reconcile government funds..
Accounting clerk (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORJuly 17, 2013
It's always busy for me during Thrusday's because it's the processing of checks payables. I learned a lot about the government funds flow and to the system that the used which is the PeopleSoft. My co-workers are very supportive and kind. I think the difficult job I encounter is,if there is a fund that being transfer to the other fund and I need to trace it where it goes. I enjoy all the task that they give to me actually because I love office works.
Pros
adjustable schedule of your lunch breaks.