City of Stamford Employee Reviews

Politics and corruption
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Stamford Ct.August 25, 2015
The politics and inside corruption made this job very difficult.Thats all I have to say about that.Becoming a police officer in todays world is hard, becoming one in this city is laughable.
Pros
good money
Cons
difficulty with the bosses
I learn a lot working for the City and I enjoy the diversity within the workforce
Office Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTAugust 18, 2015
The City is a great place to work and has great benefits and training opportunities... I enjoyed working in Engineering Department because you meet a diverse culture of people...
Pros
A learning environment
Cons
The commute to and from work
Productive work place
Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTMay 14, 2015
In the over 30 years I have worked I have experienced many life lessons.Mostly they have been dedicated and supportive. It has stimulated my experiences throughout the many hats that I wear. It's a very challenging environment,but with the confidence I've aquired over the many years I've built a framework of successes.My ongoing focus is to include, challenge and motivate everyone's ,mine included to achieve lifelong achievements
Pros
chalenging environment
Cons
More professional development
Probably better than most 67 percent of places to work.
Admin Secretary/Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTJanuary 27, 2015
The work was not hard and the people were okay to work with, except when it came to a job openings, then you found out who the not so nice people were. Management had their favorites and they usually got the position.

We had a few competitive events, which were good. We had special days in our cafeteria, whereby you were served special food (i.e., Cultural Day, Halloween Costume Day, and Christmas Door Decoration Display Day, to name a few).

The hardest part of the job was trying to get management to let you train for certain jobs. and to keep you abreast of what was going on, if there were going to be any changes. The communication was sometimes inadequate.
Pros
you got compesated for years of service at christmas time.
Cons
they try to cut out some kind of benefit or "freeze" your due raise.
produtive, positve people to work with
seasonal laborer (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTDecember 8, 2014
a typical day was using power blower and remote control vacuum. I leaned that the people I've worked with was eager to train and teach the proper way to operate the equipment.Management was a delight to work for. Very organized. the hardest thing was to know that it was only seasonal and it was coming to an end
Pros
always busy
Cons
seasonal
We come together for birthdays, retirements, births, have fun working to set it all up together.
Office Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Government CenterJune 12, 2014
Much phone work connecting people to the right departmenst and Administrators/Secretaries to speak with. Work with a program HTE. It is a program I use for financing to process requisitions and purchase orders for the 20 plus schools in Stamford. We supply everything from books to live science animals to furniture, etc., etc. I've taken some computer training courses offered with the BOE. I work with Excel make charts and work with Word, Microsoft outlook, some Data Prosessing. I do alot of scheduling for my supervisors. Use outlook calendars.

The hardest part, I suppose is when it gets very busy with people coming in for direction, answering phones and trying to get projects done in time manner for meetings. The people I work with are nice to work with. Everyone here understands our office is very busy. We all do our best to meet deadlines. "I do my best". I have just celebrated 25 years with the City of Stamford. I've had to make some moves to different Departments within the City over the years because of budget cuts. It't all turned out to be good, big adjustments. The experience has been good with learning new work in different Departments. Much learned about City contracts, ect.
Pros
mostly understand when family needs my attention. i use vacation time or sick time.
Cons
not much opportunity for advancment. tests for advancement aren't given often anymore.
Productive & fun place to work.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTFebruary 1, 2014
I've had the opportunity to learn how to operate different machinery such as jackhammers etc. Also heavy equipment, such as bobcats, loaders etc. Co-workers were helpful at times & management gave one the opportunity to learn to operate machinery & heavy equipment.
Educational growth
PARA-EDUCATOR SUBSTITUTE (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTAugust 27, 2013
one on one learning with a student, different activities through out the school day, safe and fun environment.
patience, growth and progress day to day.
manage different class work organize home work and motivate.
different attitudes just about each day as a substitute (school-to-school).
Changing grades and schools every day/week.
Helping to make a difference for the future in each child's life.
Pros
able to handle personal life (family) and always have a job
Cons
work is available only when a teacher is absent
fun place to work, but work ethics could be better.
program director (Former Employee) –  888 Washington BLVDAugust 26, 2013
I worked with Stamford Recreation for many years, as a seasonal/part time employee. I learned communication in managing people is the key to having a successful team, since everyone has a different outlook on working hard. The hardest part of my job was this past summer. I stayed on to work as a Camp assistant since I was not hired for the Recreational Leader position, which I am very qualified for. Instead they hired someone who seemed to be a great fit, unfortunately wasn't a good leader in my view because his idea of communication was to talk about other things and not work. I feel confident leaving Recreation as they have no value in team or communicating the job needed to be done. I loved being creative at my job, working with the public by helping clients on the phone or in person. My favorite part was working with the camps.
Pros
working with all ages
Cons
lack of communication from supervisors
i loved it
Seasonal CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTAugust 12, 2013
I started @6 am to 5pm worked with others learned new things the bosses are great to work for and be around
Pros
i love the work
Cons
it was seasonal

Want to know more about City of Stamford?

Ask a question
Enjoyed my 28 years
Recreation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTAugust 2, 2013
As a long time employee I felt like I was a valued employee who was given opportunities for outside the box thinking. The only downside to the job was not knowing how the cities budget was going to effect you and your department.
benefits
Cons
job security
new experience
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTJune 27, 2013
working with co worker to beatify the community. We would clean the parks cut the grass.
Pros
good pay
Cons
seasonal work
Good starting out place
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTApril 25, 2012
I enjoy working with the people in my office as well as the people in the building. The most fun in my job is getting to know everyone that comes in out of the office. The hardest part of my day is taking train. This job is only part-time and seasonal, but I will miss everyone when the time comes.
Pros
flexible
Cons
part-time

4.2