City Of Surprise Employee Reviews in United States

provided opportunities to grow professionally
Risk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZJanuary 21, 2016
due to limited staffing in my area and my background, I was expected to handle a variety of matters, some of which were not directly related to my area of expertise. But, in doing so, I learned much about other employment disciplines. Management in my area could be more involved in the day-to-day operations and equalize the workload burden a bit. Interacting with the employees and helping them with issues, especially field employees, was one highlight that inspired me to come to work every day. My work schedule was perfect and the benefits and pay were exceptional.
Pros
good pay, benefits, work schedule, working with employees
Cons
workload expectations, lack of management involvement
A great place to work
Senior IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZApril 23, 2016
Worked here for over 14 years starting out as a computer technician along with one other person and getting the City of Surprise updated to city wide computers and networking. When I first arrived, there were very few computers in use, no internet except for a few dial up connections, no servers, no backups being done, and all equipment and software was out of date and no tech support at all. The one other person and I setup the first servers and network, I upgraded all of the existing computers with new ones and set them up with networking, backups, and internet.
Pros
Greate place to work
Cons
Excellant benifits and pay
Made me a strong team player and at times to control of a situation.
Master Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZJuly 15, 2016
My job was not an ordinary job, there were lots of unknowns through the day and had to be prepared at all times. My first year working with my last employer was working in the low income part of town, but I loved the people there, because of my similar background when growing up, therefore understanding their needs and concerns. After my first year I was accepted into the Investigation Division, where I stayed for about 14 years. Due to the city still having a somewhat small population, I investigated mostly child crimes, including homicides. Taking control of the scene was a task once I was assigned to the case. Teamwork was key to making a case strong and working with my co-workers was not difficult. I then decided to transfer back to patrolling the city, until my retirement. NOTE: I worked for two other agencies prior, making my total time in law enforcement approximately 25 years. Prior to being a Police Officer, I was a heavy duty truck and trailer mechanic working for Carnation Dairies. My job was rebuilding engines, transmission and lots of welding. I still have a strong passion for building engines, which I still do to this day. It's a relaxing hobby for me.
Pros
Enjoyed my job and the people in the city. Looked forward to going to work.
Cons
Saw the bad side of people.and deaths.
Great part-time job
Recreation Leader III (Current Employee) –  Surprise, AZJune 22, 2016
Fun, always changing, allows you to work independently as well as with others. Able to meet a number of families that are always happy to see you. The best part and most challenging part of the job is the number of people you come in contact with daily.
Cons
No breaks.
Friendly, Easy-going co-workers
Municipal Prosecution Extern (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZMarch 30, 2016
Showing up for work everyday was not dreadful. I looked forward to experiencing an opportunity to learn something new or to have the chance to grow in my legal analysis and communication abilities with offenders.
Great community
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZSeptember 29, 2015
The people that work for the city of surprise are amazing and work very hard for little recognition. The management needs some improvement on ensuring that the punishment administered to employees is fair and balanced accross the board. This organization has a lot of growth to do in that department, often observed favortism and it is not aware of who its valiable employees truly are.
Pros
GREAT CO WORKERS
Cons
MANAGMENT WAS NOT CONCERNED FOR EMPLOYEES
Productive, high performing teams and innovative leadership
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZNovember 5, 2015
High energy work environment during extraordinary growth and development. High level of bureaucracy due to growth within a small organization. However, exposure to cutting edge development provided opportunities for innovation and strategic positioning. The most exciting part of the job was developing projects and community that was previously non-existent along with re-branding the municipality from a small town to a fully functional city.
Pros
Strategic development and innovation
Cons
Lack of tradition and small town mindsets
Over all a good place to work
Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZNovember 9, 2014
Very busy
Always be ready for mutuality tasking
Be prepared for changes from management at any time
Be ready to reward co-works for doing a great job
The hardest part of this job is working with budgets and other departments
Enjoyable part of this job is meeting dead lines of any thing asked of all staff
Wonderful
Recreation Leader I (Current Employee) –  Surprise, AZMay 9, 2015
The City of Surprise, Community and Recreation Services Department is wonderful to work for. They provide the best quality sports and activities for youth and adults of the community for affordable prices.
productive
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZApril 21, 2015
this was an amazing outdoor environment, and challenging love all of the people I have come in contact with and love the fun inviting environment.

Want to know more about City Of Surprise?

Ask a question
Great to work for at the time I was there.
Senior Maintenance and Operation Technician (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZAugust 2, 2012
Had work ready and waiting when showed up, boss let me decide what was inmportant and do the job in a way that was productive and cost effective. Co-workers was good to work with we each had our own way of doing things and sometimes didnt agree but we was all able to work together in the end.
Pros
weekends off and easy paced enviorment
Cons
young city had some growing pains
Not your typical Government agency
Permit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZJanuary 30, 2014
Surprise is a fairly young city that boomed during the early 2000's and then took a huge hit when the economy turned.

The best part about the City of Surprise is the people with whom you work!!
Pros
the benfits, the people, the opportunity
Cons
until the economy rebuilds itself it will be hard to obtain work and move up. be patient, it will happen again.
micro managing culture
Water Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZAugust 24, 2012
I found the place to be extremely restrictive to new Ideas and stifling to team team building

4.4