City of Tacoma Employee Reviews in United States

Absolutely amazing place to work
Recruit Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 20, 2015
The Tacoma Fire Department is a top notch organization, training, equipment, and staff are all very professional. The city of Tacoma's residents are lucky to have such a caring department.
Excellent coworkers and work environment
Senior GIS Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 5, 2015
Solid Waste database maintenance.
Work with internal customers most of the day.
Fixing other coworkers mistakes.
Helping people in need.
Lots of great training on and off the job.
Pros
No micro management
Cons
Management not listening to us
Tacoma Power has a very serious work environment, should loosen up.
Utility Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 6, 2014
A very good place to work with very good people. Management is a little stiff.
Pros
compensation plans
Cons
management stiffness
Easy going government job
Intern Web Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 9, 2014
As an intern web assistant, my duties were to mainly edit metadata for the city's webpage, and to check for grammar, spelling, text overflows, etc. I was not very familiar with any of these tasks before interning there, but I am very tech savvy, and with the guidance of the lead web developer, I quickly learned how to accomplish the tasks I needed to.

My co-workers were all very nice and accommodating, though I did feel a bit out of place, since there was a bit of an age gap. Most of my co-workers were older than I, so common interests were few and far between.

The hardest part about my job was trying to coordinate meetings and speak with individuals who wanted their web sections a certain way. I'm not the best speaker in a large group, so it was pretty unnerving. Still, I managed.

The most enjoyable part of the job was how relaxed the environment felt, having an office job, and the amazing view of the sound.
Pros
relaxed workplace, nice co-workers
Cons
short-term employment due to intern status
City of Tacoma
Economic Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 15, 2014
I had an excellent opportunity to take my education and apply it with the City of Tacoma as an Economic Development Specialist.
Meaningful insight into local government
Sustainability Intern (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 12, 2013
Gave me a great opportunity to work toward something that personally meant a lot to me and was able to see a noticeable improvement by the time my internship was over. Bosses were knowledgeable, helpful, and encouraging.
It was a better experience then I origanally thought.
Intern for CED (Former Employee) –  9th floor 747 market streetAugust 23, 2013
the people were amazing and I would definitely intern/work for them again!
Great Internship
Coalition Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 20, 2013
I had the best experience working with the City of Tacoma. As a college intern I had the opportunity to work with the homeless community, including the Coalition for the Homeless. I'm happy to have worked with the city, as it has showed me different paths of life and how people and the government work with various issues in society.
Pros
working with various people in different walks of life.
Cons
it was only an internship position.
Rewarding experience
Water Quality Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 6, 2013
Working at Tacoma Water I was able to expand my skills and knowledge of groundwater sciences and technologies , sampling techniques and overall water disinfection systems. I gained the satisfaction that I was able to apply the skills and knowledge that I learned in school and apply them immediately to the job.
Temporary assignment
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 7, 2012
pretty much input data entry of cases reported on the news or courts of very difficult cases. I learned the area that I lived in was not a good area due to a high rate of crime. very little coworker contact as we had to concentrate on each case and enter the cases via data entry accurately in the data base for court hearings, the hardest part of the job was reading of cases of children victimization. I did not enjoy this job at all.
Pros
recording accurate data
Cons
bad news
Groundskeeper/Irrigation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 1, 2012
I am overall pleased with the work that I had to do with grounds maintenance. Crew morale was pretty good.
Working for the grounds unit for the city
Youth Building Tacoma Intern (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 1, 2012
A typical day while working for the city would be making the city look good with landscaping. I learned alot of different plants and trees while working for the city. My supervisor was always nice and helpful, as well as co-workers. The hardest part of the job would be the heat in the summer. The most enjoyable part of the job would be working outside everyday.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
heat in the summer time
Project specific work for a large municipality
Professional Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 26, 2012
Project management of large CIP projects (Airport, FHWA/WSDOT road projects) for 2 years. In-house Project Design for sidewalk, ADA sidewalk ramp and large street projects using ACAD- Civil 3D, writing specifications and bid proposals. Assisted in grant writing, construction engineering and ROW acquisition for street and other CIP projects. Managed Civil Engineering Technicians involved in street design projects. I enjoyed the collaborative team effort in project design and construction. The most enjoyable part of the job was to witness the completion of a project and learn about how to more efficiently accomplish this.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Tacoma. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4