City of Tacoma Employee Reviews

Going form good to great
Creative Director (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 27, 2017
They are trying to grow bigger, but not handling it well. People are starting to chase power and crushing people in their way. They also waste a lot of time and need to update systems to get the city to where it should be, not where it is.
Pros
potential
Cons
miss use of funding
Smart passionate staff, challenging work
Community Relations (Former Employee) –  TacomaFebruary 23, 2017
Great place to work if you're interested in you're local government. There projects are challenging and meaningful and the departments have very smart and capable staff who are invested in their work and the impact it will have on the city.
Hostile work environment
Human Services Contract & Program Auditor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 17, 2017
The City of Tacoma used to be a great place to work. Over the past 2 years, there have been so many staffing transitions without effective change management. The left hand never knows what the right hand is doing and to ask for clarification is viewed as a performance issue and not a strength.
Pros
Great benefits, making a difference in the community
Cons
Lacks Effective Management, No Communication, No Quality Control
community friendly with all the answers needed
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 11, 2017
worked there as an intern, but received equal treatment as an employee. learned the ropes as well as attending many city meetings that not most community members would be allowed to do. learned about landlord tenant laws, and how the community works with domestic violence survivors to give them a safe and secure place to rest their heads, without fear or judgement
You'll be compensated but there's a catch
IT manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 8, 2017
The City of Tacoma is constantly trying to reinvent themselves. They are continually finding new initiatives that always sound good on paper, yet they are never attempted wholeheartedly. New management and talented staff leave the City because of the inability to manage their objectives. The politics of working in this kind of environment make the compensation more of a punishment than a blessing.

The use of outside vendors cost the tax payers considerably more in an effort to drain the hired staff of the ability to obtain needed skills to effectively support their environment. Thus there is the attitude to just wait out the new management until it is replaced. At the end of the day, it's about your own emotional health that's key to a good position.

If you are considering employment here do your homework and ask about the turnover rate and who you'll be reporting to. You'll find talented staff there that want to do a great job but the issue is that the management is steeped in politics and self promotion.
Pros
Great pay and retierment
Cons
Badly managed
Productive place to work
Contract and Program Auditor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 1, 2016
Great place to work.Interactive with community. Fun people to work around. Have the chance to grow with agency.Able to work city council.
Pros
Cons
Short break
Absolutely amazing place to work
Recruit Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 20, 2015
The Tacoma Fire Department is a top notch organization, training, equipment, and staff are all very professional. The city of Tacoma's residents are lucky to have such a caring department.
Excellent coworkers and work environment
Senior GIS Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 5, 2015
Solid Waste database maintenance.
Work with internal customers most of the day.
Fixing other coworkers mistakes.
Helping people in need.
Lots of great training on and off the job.
Pros
No micro management
Cons
Management not listening to us
Tacoma Power has a very serious work environment, should loosen up.
Utility Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 6, 2014
A very good place to work with very good people. Management is a little stiff.
Pros
Compensation plans
Cons
Management stiffness
Easy going government job
Intern Web Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 9, 2014
As an intern web assistant, my duties were to mainly edit metadata for the city's webpage, and to check for grammar, spelling, text overflows, etc. I was not very familiar with any of these tasks before interning there, but I am very tech savvy, and with the guidance of the lead web developer, I quickly learned how to accomplish the tasks I needed to.

My co-workers were all very nice and accommodating, though I did feel a bit out of place, since there was a bit of an age gap. Most of my co-workers were older than I, so common interests were few and far between.

The hardest part about my job was trying to coordinate meetings and speak with individuals who wanted their web sections a certain way. I'm not the best speaker in a large group, so it was pretty unnerving. Still, I managed.

The most enjoyable part of the job was how relaxed the environment felt, having an office job, and the amazing view of the sound.
Pros
Relaxed workplace, nice co-workers
Cons
short-term employment due to intern status
City of Tacoma
Economic Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 15, 2014
I had an excellent opportunity to take my education and apply it with the City of Tacoma as an Economic Development Specialist.
Meaningful insight into local government
Sustainability Intern (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 12, 2013
Gave me a great opportunity to work toward something that personally meant a lot to me and was able to see a noticeable improvement by the time my internship was over. Bosses were knowledgeable, helpful, and encouraging.
It was a better experience then I origanally thought.
Intern for CED (Former Employee) –  9th floor 747 market streetAugust 23, 2013
the people were amazing and I would definitely intern/work for them again!
Great Internship
Coalition Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 20, 2013
I had the best experience working with the City of Tacoma. As a college intern I had the opportunity to work with the homeless community, including the Coalition for the Homeless. I'm happy to have worked with the city, as it has showed me different paths of life and how people and the government work with various issues in society.
Pros
Working with various people in different walks of life.
Cons
It was only an internship position.
Rewarding experience
Water Quality Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 6, 2013
Working at Tacoma Water I was able to expand my skills and knowledge of groundwater sciences and technologies , sampling techniques and overall water disinfection systems. I gained the satisfaction that I was able to apply the skills and knowledge that I learned in school and apply them immediately to the job.
Temporary assignment
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 7, 2012
pretty much input data entry of cases reported on the news or courts of very difficult cases. I learned the area that I lived in was not a good area due to a high rate of crime. very little coworker contact as we had to concentrate on each case and enter the cases via data entry accurately in the data base for court hearings, the hardest part of the job was reading of cases of children victimization. I did not enjoy this job at all.
Pros
recording accurate data
Cons
bad news
Groundskeeper/Irrigation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 1, 2012
I am overall pleased with the work that I had to do with grounds maintenance. Crew morale was pretty good.
Working for the grounds unit for the city
Youth Building Tacoma Intern (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 1, 2012
A typical day while working for the city would be making the city look good with landscaping. I learned alot of different plants and trees while working for the city. My supervisor was always nice and helpful, as well as co-workers. The hardest part of the job would be the heat in the summer. The most enjoyable part of the job would be working outside everyday.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
heat in the summer time
Project specific work for a large municipality
Professional Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 26, 2012
Project management of large CIP projects (Airport, FHWA/WSDOT road projects) for 2 years. In-house Project Design for sidewalk, ADA sidewalk ramp and large street projects using ACAD- Civil 3D, writing specifications and bid proposals. Assisted in grant writing, construction engineering and ROW acquisition for street and other CIP projects. Managed Civil Engineering Technicians involved in street design projects. I enjoyed the collaborative team effort in project design and construction. The most enjoyable part of the job was to witness the completion of a project and learn about how to more efficiently accomplish this.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Tacoma. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2