CITY OF TALLAHASSEE Employee Reviews

My description of employment.
Mechanic II/Admin (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 9, 2017
I worked for the company for over 19 years and was looking forward to retirement but was laid off just short of my years to retire. It is a great company to work for with one of the best retirements in the State of Florida.
Very physically demanding place to work.
Recreation Aide (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 6, 2017
First and foremost, I work at the nicest park in Tallahassee. Cascades Park. I love the experience I've gained with my current job, I learn something new everyday and I'm always trying to put myself out there to learn something new. A day at my job usually consists of planning out our day and what needs to be done in the park. Certain tree's and plants have to be kept trimmed, sometimes we lay sod and sometimes we manage huge concerts. We do everything from laying pipe to full landscaping. The hardest part of the job would probably be the heat. I'm used to all aspects of weather and I am conditioned to work hard no matter the temperature. The most enjoyable part of the job would be meeting all the new people that visit the park and just working at the park in general. It's beautiful.
Pros
Work schedule
Cons
Compensation
Great place to learn and grow
Utility Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 24, 2017
My overall experience with the City of Tallahasse was great. I accumulated new skills and met many wonderful people. The pension plan and other financial benefits are superb as well.
Pros
Outstanding benefits
Cons
Pay is lower than private industry
Its a job
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 3, 2017
It was just a job to me a place to make money I didn't care for this place of employment very much. There is very little representation for the drivers and everyone is scared of what city hall may or may not do.
Lifeguarding
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 1, 2017
A typical day was watching over hundreds of children in our designated pool area and making sure they did not drown. I learned basic CPR, how to maintain a pool facility, and basic life saving techniques. My experiences with the management were horrible. My boss was cruel to 90% of the workforce, had favorites that got to be in that status with no merit, and would reprimand us for the most ridiculous things (i.e. eating crunchy food). At one point one of the lower management members threatened to assault me for trying to sign out before him. The culture could range from great people to some of the most obnoxious people I have ever met with the latter usually be the case. The hardest part of the job was the stress of making sure no one was hurt in the pool as a 16 year old. The most enjoyable part was leaving at the end of the day because the management made the job miserable.
Make your own hours
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 26, 2017
A nice job for a teenager or young adult with a lot on their plate and with fluctuating hours of availability. The employee must go through multiple long days of training and pre-requisite. The job is not for those who are bored or easily distracted as the job can become dull at times.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, little manual labor
Cons
Boring at times
Good benefits
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 8, 2017
Retirement plan is strong. Internal opportunities exist, however they are most often already filled on an "interim" basis by someone who essentially already has the job.
Pros
Retirement plan
Cons
Politics
Never a dull moment
Coach Operator (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 3, 2017
While working this job you need to be attention aware. Lives are in your hands and there is no room for day dreaming while driving. Your days are filled with compassion, excitement, laughter and drama. No two days are alike.
Pros
you get to meet different people, very generous benefit package, friendly work environment.
Cons
sometimes patrons can be rude
Awesome
Mayoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 25, 2017
The army has its ups and downs. However, I really do feel as if I was able to develop into a better man as a result of the training that I received
Fun and Productive in the Work Place
Court House Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLDecember 6, 2016
Start the day by greeting the kids and explaining to them what is expected of them as far as attendance is concerned and doing and completing theelir school work.
Pros
Helping kids
Cons
Its a job in transportation
Star Metro - Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLNovember 17, 2016
It was an ok job. Its a job in transportation. You advanced based on seniority. You could be a fortunate to have weekends off and the benefits are good. Chances of moving up depends the number people retiring or leaving for other jobs.
Pros
Possble to have weekends off and holidays.
Cons
Could be stuck wuith a heavy schedule.
Thrifty Shopper
Activities coach (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 27, 2016
This job i learned to be the best i can be at customer service. it was good on improving my register skills, working with stock receiving orders. keeping track of sales. Over all was a great experience.
Overall a great company to work for
Public Works Employee (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 20, 2016
I learned so much from this job. Far as cdl driving and how drainage systems work and how important it is to keep them maintained to keep streets, yards, and holding ponds from flooding
City of Tallahassee review
Industrial Engineer (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 20, 2016
It was great learning from such talented and passionate individuals that help me complete my S.D project with success. The staff is amazing, very humble, helpful, and they will always provide positive feedback and suggestions on the work done. We'll definitely repeat it.
Pros
learned a lot about operations research and customer concern
Cons
if you dont like trash this is not for you
Low Moral/Leadership
Customer Service Aide (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 16, 2016
My typical work day is filled with correcting others mistakes, creating case files and processing paperwork from incoming callers as well as cases initiated. I have learned a multitude of things: how to better deal with escalated calls, how property ownership works, liens, tax deeds and more. Unfortunately, management has not held true to their duties of keeping hard working individuals staffed and fell short on punishment for no work ethic and constantly doing personal life items such as talking on the phone constantly instead of taking designated calls. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I have helped my hometown in some way, shape or form.
Pros
Health Benefits and Pension Plan
Cons
Poor co-workers, lack of proper leadership
great
Athletic Staff (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 28, 2016
This was my first job. It really got me into working customer service and learning hospitality. The management team was great, willing to work with all schedules and mishaps.
Great place Great People
GIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 31, 2016
Working for underground utilities was great. Everyone really cared about their jobs and wanted to make sure that things were done and done correctly. Everyone was really friendly and welcomed new employees in readily and were available to help if it was ever needed.
Diverse tasks and good management
Controls/Electrical/Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Saint Marks, FLJanuary 10, 2016
Engineering work at Power Plants is diverse and keeps you busy. Good people and good management.
Work is practical engineering keeping up with PID's and one lines, designing changes and updating on AutoCAD.
Fun Place but Lots of Drama
Head Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 22, 2015
It is a great place for young college students to work. It was a lot of fun, but everyone dates everyone else and causes lots of drama at work.
Not a good place for me
Senior Payroll Systems Specialist (Former Employee) –  TallahasseeApril 23, 2015
Was not impressed with management. Things could have been handled differently with my particular situation. I was only with the City for 8 months