CITY OF TALLAHASSEE Employee Reviews

Low Moral/Leadership
Customer Service Aide (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 16, 2016
My typical work day is filled with correcting others mistakes, creating case files and processing paperwork from incoming callers as well as cases initiated. I have learned a multitude of things: how to better deal with escalated calls, how property ownership works, liens, tax deeds and more. Unfortunately, management has not held true to their duties of keeping hard working individuals staffed and fell short on punishment for no work ethic and constantly doing personal life items such as talking on the phone constantly instead of taking designated calls. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I have helped my hometown in some way, shape or form.
Pros
Health Benefits and Pension Plan
Cons
Poor co-workers, lack of proper leadership
Thrifty Shopper
Activities coach (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 27, 2016
This job i learned to be the best i can be at customer service. it was good on improving my register skills, working with stock receiving orders. keeping track of sales. Over all was a great experience.
City of Tallahassee review
Industrial Engineer (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 20, 2016
It was great learning from such talented and passionate individuals that help me complete my S.D project with success. The staff is amazing, very humble, helpful, and they will always provide positive feedback and suggestions on the work done. We'll definitely repeat it.
Pros
learned a lot about operations research and customer concern
Cons
if you dont like trash this is not for you
Overall a great company to work for
Public Works Employee (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 20, 2016
I learned so much from this job. Far as cdl driving and how drainage systems work and how important it is to keep them maintained to keep streets, yards, and holding ponds from flooding
great
Athletic Staff (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 28, 2016
This was my first job. It really got me into working customer service and learning hospitality. The management team was great, willing to work with all schedules and mishaps.
Great place Great People
GIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 31, 2016
Working for underground utilities was great. Everyone really cared about their jobs and wanted to make sure that things were done and done correctly. Everyone was really friendly and welcomed new employees in readily and were available to help if it was ever needed.
Worked with incredible talented people in the industry and learned a ton
Television Producer/Writer (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 5, 2013
We had to keep an hourly log of our activities and it was always full. Researching stories, writing stories, setting up times to interview and then editing it was difficult but so much fun too. Working for a city government is different from private industries and I learned a lot.
Pros
Willingness to train me on all sorts of software
Cons
No healthcare benefits
Go Place
Business Development Rep (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FlFebruary 24, 2015
Great place to work so far. Laid back and very comfortable so far. Great hours, benefits, and work life. Would recommend to anyone
Diverse tasks and good management
Controls/Electrical/Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Saint Marks, FLJanuary 10, 2016
Engineering work at Power Plants is diverse and keeps you busy. Good people and good management.
Work is practical engineering keeping up with PID's and one lines, designing changes and updating on AutoCAD.
Typical Job
Minority Business Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 3, 2013
Thankful for a job. I've learned that everyone doesn't think like you or wanted to do better. Some individuals are just here to pick-up a check rather than making a difference for others.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
various management styles
Old Plantation style work environment
Coach Driver (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLOctober 6, 2013
Not good with advancement or employee pay. Poor management training.
Pros
benifits
Good Place to Work
Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 19, 2014
Star Metro, was a great place to work, it was very family oriented, everyone got a long, and the work days were very productive.
Pros
great benefits package
Cons
high turnover rate
Excellent place to have a career.
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 1, 2013
The City of Tallahassee is a place that provides excellent benefits. It is a wonderful place to work with lots of opportunities and wonderful people.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 11, 2012
Enjoyed the overtime and the job. Good people to work with. Benefits were great
Overall a great place to work
Retirement Benefits Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 3, 2015
This is the first job where I have experienced an unexperienced Department Adminsitrator which makes the job a bit challenging that needed. The hardest part of the job is the communication. Everyone has a little too much freedom, nothing is ever enforced. Overall, I have been with the City of Tallahassee for years in other departments so not all of it is poorly ran. For the most part, I feel that the City of Tallahassee is a great place to work.
Pros
Best Retirement Benefit Plan Ever. Tons of Learning Opportunity
Cons
My current job culture is not ideal. Communication is lacking due to unexperienced Administrator
Productive and rewarding place to build your career.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 23, 2013
The City of Tallahassee is an enjoyable place to work and build your career. I enjoyed 3 years of working with the City of Tallahassee community, gaining valuable work experience and bonds with my coworkers.

The City of Tallahassee is a well organized business that values their employees and provide quality services to the residents that inhabit the city. They take responsibility and extreme care in the maintaining municipalities,parks, and utilities and is ranked #1 as the most livable city in the United States.
Pros
great employees, career advancing opportunities, proactive community
Learned valuable lessons on how to deal with and understand at-risk children.
Teen Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLFebruary 13, 2013
A camp coordinator wears many hats and plays many different roles.
While camps come in a variety of themes, locations and styles, the camp coordinator position remains relatively stable across all of them.
The camp coordinator interacts with counselors, campers and families.
This may require booking speaking engagements and traveling to them.
The camp supervisor watches over the daily operation of the camp. If it's an overnight camp, the supervisor is on call 24 hours while camp is in session.
Pros
seeing the faces of the children each day enjoying themselves and having fun.
Cons
more funding for those who can not afford it.
Responsible and fun place with many opportunties
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 22, 2013
A typical day as a recreational leader working for the City of Tallahassee Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Affairs is always interesting and enjoyable. Everyday you learn something new, whether its about the kids or if its about how to be a better person. I couldn't have asked for a better staff to work aside with. We are truly like a family. Everyone was always willing to lend a helping hand. The hardest part about the job was learning how to cope with the everyday stress. Working outside everyday during the summer wasn't always easy. Not to mention that each counselor was responsible for about 20 kids everyday. Besides all of that, the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the children, staff and most importantly their family members. Seeing so many smiles and being able to help people really makes you feel good about yourself.
Pros
Exercise, meet new people, learn and enhance everyday skills
Cons
Stress, sometimes working out in the heat
Very fast paced and busy with a variety of work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 18, 2014
The day started out differently everyday. I would copy, file, fax and answer phones.
I learned alot about parks and recreation
Management was very successful
Co-workers were great!
Hardest part was dealing with mad people on the phone
Most enjoyable part was working with people I've known for along time
Pros
Learning new stuff
Cons
Leaving for college
Not a good place for me
Senior Payroll Systems Specialist (Former Employee) –  TallahasseeApril 23, 2015
Was not impressed with management. Things could have been handled differently with my particular situation. I was only with the City for 8 months

CITY OF TALLAHASSEE Reviews by Location