CITY OF TAMPA Employee Reviews in United States

Best job ever
Seasonal Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 7, 2016
This summer brings back a lot of great memories. :) One of the most fun and rewarding summers I have ever had. I truly woke up every morning looking forward to going to work. Nothing bad to say about the entire experience. Management was very experienced and professional. Great advancement opportunities. Very supportive. Fun playing sports and games with the kids. Keeps you in shape. GREAT JOB.
Management is corrupt and disrespectful
Roll Off Driver (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 24, 2016
My experience at City of Tampa Solid Waste has been horrible. I get along with everyone but the employees are extremely cliquey, they don't like outsiders and they will act as if you don't exist. Management is no better, they are disrespectful, not helpful, and flat out rude. Paperwork suddenly goes missing, not told about mandatory meetings until the last minute, treated very differently than other employees.
The City of Tampa is a great place to work.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 15, 2016
The city is a great place to work. Benefits are excellent. Merit increases are based on a scale and are guaranteed per contract.
Great place to work. Little room for advancement.
Inventory Technician II / Fleet Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 13, 2014
Working for the City of Tampa has been a tremendous learning experience. My particular section worked in conjunction with COT's Fleet Maintenance Division. Our primary responsibility was ordering parts for the Tampa Police Department and Tampa Waste Management. The flow of work moved quickly and my co-workers were great. The only unfortunate thing I would have to say about working for the City would be opportunities for moving up in position. Being that we were unionized, positions and opportunities were based on seniority and there was no definitive career path.
Pros
pay, benefits, good work environment, camaraderie
Cons
no definitive career path, promotions based on seniority
Part-time job.
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 30, 2016
Working with the City of Tampa was experience, for sure. I was able to work with young adults and children throughout the summer. I had the pleasure of seeing the community in the neighborhood I grew up in.
Pros
home, simple, fun
Cons
short-term
Working for the City of Tampa is a privilage
Service Attendant 2 (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 22, 2015
I love my job, although I'd rather be working in an office at this point, I work with a great bunch of guys and I wouldn't trade my job for anything in the world, I am currently just looking for a second job that can be worked at home, so that I can have a second income and don't have to leave my children to do it. I've learned a lot since I've started working for the city, One thing that Ive learned, is that nothing comes easy, you have to work hard to make it to the top and being a female in the position that I am in, I must work twice as hard as my male counter parts. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the work that we've done, when its all finished. I love to look at the work and see how gorgeous it looks when we finished. We have had some problems with management in the past, but that was all taken care of and its like a family out there now. In fact, I can count on my co-workers more than I can count on my own family, sad but true.
Pros
we get to meet alot of special people in our department
Cons
we spend more time at work then at home
Productive and fun workplace with children
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 15, 2015
Working as a Summer Camp Counselor I learned how to lead, mentor, and supervise children. I also learned how to be creative and engage in activity. To take initiative without having to be told what to do. Our managers and supervisors went all out their way to make sure the summer program was successful. This is so kids can return to the program to enjoy themselves everyday and even more could join next year. The hardest part of the job was getting the kids to settle down and follow instructions so that they could move on to the next activity. I enjoyed seeing the kids smile and run to me every time I stepped foot in the building. It made me feel loved and that I was doing my job.
productive and professional envirnoment to work
Security Officer (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 19, 2014
the pay and benefits are excellent, management and all of the employees are great however, we(security group)has almost been laid-ff 4 times in 12 years due to the City's budget cuts.
Pros
money, benifits and people
Cons
job security
City of Tampa
HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 14, 2015
A typical day is steady. You can not please everyone. Management is great. Co- workers great. Cleaning out the back of the truck. In the morning is the most enjoyable day for me.
Pros
Able to go and get you something to eat while you are out.
Cons
Health care is not that good.
Managing the cash out flows-payroll, pension, payables and Property Control
Accounting Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  TampaMarch 27, 2013
Enjoyed the areas I was responsible for the four "P's". Overseeing the cash outflow departments gave me the opportunity to manage different areas of revenue and finance departments.
Establishing policies and procedures, production schedules and compliance with other agency for each of my departments was one of the leadership skills I provided to my job.
Applying my coaching management style provided the opportunity to train and promote my employees, this was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Using teamwork strategy and meeting with the employees on a weekly basis gave every employee the opportunity to be engaged in making decision and being involved in the company's core value.
A typical day at work was hectic but very successful.
Pros
work environment provided the opportunity to help others employees, retirees, and vendors.
Cons
higher management support was inconsistent
Productive and rewarding
Clean City Division - Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 6, 2014
A typical day at work is very busy and also rewarding. Working with the community and interacting with them has given me the knowledge to be able to provide what is needed to better the community. My co-workers are all team players and go out of their way to make the City of Tampa look great. The hardest part of the job is being able to use more of your learning skills due to change of management.
Pros
interacting with the community
Cons
limited to access of working with other departments
Nice place to work
Office Support Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 14, 2015
Nice place to work. Great environment. Nice to be able to work with the residents and citizens of the City of Tampa. The City of Tampa is full of great people and great opportunities to advance and grow.
Utilities
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 4, 2013
Everyone is friendly and helpful. It's a utility company so you will have to deal with irate customers and the challenge of meeting their needs and making sure they're satisfied. You will typically take between 40-60 calls a day where you have to either deal with questions about service the City provide, billing, and solid waste inquiries. For the most part if you're part of the company I'm quite sure the benefits are nice but I was employed by temporary agency to work there.
City Of Tampa is a grest company to work for
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 19, 2013
a typical day at work very busy and very educational you learn how to deal with the public on a personal and professional level. management is very helpful,Coworkers lots of team work,The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult customers. the great part is the networking and getting to know important people like the Mayor.
Excellent place to work.
Personnel Assistant/Security Team Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tampa FloridaJuly 1, 2012
Great place to work, enjoyed working with people, department functions were a blast, exercise outing, softball and such was a great part of the fun part of the job. Management was the best to work for, and co-workers were all team players in every aspect.
Feedback as Requested
Services Crew Supervisor II (Former Employee) –  107 North Franklin StreetDecember 26, 2013
Fast work pace- multitasking was essential. Challenging physically and mentally. In this position I learned just how difficult it is sometimes dealing with so many personalities and resolving departmental conflicts of interest. I enjoyed seeing the results of my teams hard work in the landscaping division.
Pros
tuition reimbursement and benefits package
Cons
downsizing departments
Not a bad place to work
Accounting Technician II (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 15, 2014
I haven't had any bad experiences working here. Working in certain departments, the work can be very tedious and boring at times. Work/life balance for a technician is great. You work your hours and then go home. Moving up though, I'm not sure how it would go.
A fast pace environment
Dispatcher-Temp (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 21, 2014
This was a very fast pace, multi taskful position. My day to day was answering phone, taking drivers paperwork and contacting drivers via dispatch phone to reroute get eta's answering the phone logging complaints and incidents and issues that are called in by police dept or residents and preparing and setting up work orders to service trucks. Coworkers in my dept were great and friendly easy to work with the hardest part which i got used to after a couple of day was talking on phone and the dispatch phone at the same time logging and creating work orders for the trucks the most enjoyable part was wednesday were my slowest day with helped catch up to all that was needed and prepare for thursday and friday.
Pros
i can take lunch and brakes at anytime
Cons
i had to stay till last truck came in sometimes would leave almost 1hr after my end time
Aquatics leader (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FlDecember 6, 2013
I have learned to have a quick reaction during emergencies, using life saving devices such as CPR and an AED. Management is great and always there when you need them. The most enjoyable part of the job is at the end of the day you know that there wasn't a life lost.
very family oriented
water department (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 10, 2015
Working with the city was like working with family members. I learned a lot about the quality of water and if there was something I didn't know there was someone around to provide the answer.

CITY OF TAMPA Reviews by Location