City of Tulsa Employee Reviews

Decent environment
911 Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Tulsa okJanuary 5, 2018
Would recommend however the management is terrible and not enough staff to cover incoming calls. Very high stress levels and lots of overtime expected
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Poor Management
Relaxed atmosphere
STOREKEEPER (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 2, 2018
City of Tulsa is a great place to work. I enjoyed my coworkers and the work environment offered. The benefits were great but the pay increases are minimal to non existent
Pros
free time
Cons
wage increase minimal
Good pay, training and interaction
Computer/LAN Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 11, 2017
I worked for the Dept. of Urban Development. I started out as a help desk technician. I found the work environment stimulating and the attention provided by manager satisfying. I was promoted to the position of LAN Administrator a couple of months before I was fired. There was no warning of the firing and no disciplinary action or warning were in effect. I enjoyed my time there and the firing was completely unexplainable.
Pros
Interesting and stimulating place to work
Cons
I was fired. Actually, no reason was given.
Stressful
Utilities Rep (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 10, 2017
When I first started training class, I liked the job. When I came to the floor the job was still good. When I got assigned to my manger, my job quickly became stressful because of her.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Unfair mangment
Inadequately trained personnel & poor work ethnic
Technical Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 9, 2017
Large numbers of the staff lack the skills required to do the job. Overall, large number of individuals with poor attitudes & more focused on conducting personnel business than getting the job done
Pros
Defined benefit plan to include a pension
Cons
Highly constrained budget, insufficient number of quality personnel
Productive and Competative
Mechanic lll / Lead Man (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 5, 2017
The City of Tulsa was a good place to work for 30 years. I advanced in leadership roles and supervision. The workplace culture is demanding and physical. The opportunity to grow and learn automotive mechanics.
Pros
Full-time
Cons
demanding
repaired a lot of water breaks
Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 5, 2017
there where good and bad people that work there long hours repaired water lines from 2” to 60” all hours of the day and night 110 or 10 temp we keep the city of tulsa in good clean drinking
Pros
you can retire from there
Cons
only money for police and fire every body else too bade . Oh and HR gave them selfs raise a lot
Receptionist/Certifier (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 30, 2017
This was a fantastic job. It just didn't pay enough at the time and there were no advancement possibilities. So I left for a much better job that paid more.
Pros
free lunches, travel opportunities. Lot's of paid holidays.
Cons
The pay was too low even for those days.
City of tulsa
Park Utility Worker, Level II (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 8, 2017
Very old old fashioned management didnt have anysay or contral what so ever over employees or what theu did making working a problem, they're also very sexist and very racist
Pros
Got off at good time
Cons
Management didnt have a hold on any employees
ok company
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 2, 2017
great to work at for a couple unless you determined to deal with stress sometimes and boredom others mostly waiting on people to move so you can move up
Cut throat good ole boy system
Operator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 24, 2017
City of Tulsa believes their managers can do no wrong. Everyone else especially those backed by a union are singled out and treated poorly. Typical days were over 12 hours, this was due to managers not ensuring employees completing their duties in a timely manor. The culture in the City of Tulsa is to hop around job titles to get better pay due to lack of raises, some jobs require you to get someone fired to get that position. There is no real investigations into allegations, if you are accused of a work violation it doesn't matter to HR if you have proof of innocence you are found guilty and fired. Overall disappointing and stressful place to work with low pay with no hope to make a career without playing the favorite game. Hard work dedication and the willingness to do all that you can does not matter so those need not apply.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Stressful environment, Back stabbing, poor management, low pay, lack of legit advancement
Customer Service
Utiities Collections Speciaist/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 17, 2017
Should pay more. Not enough opportunity to advance out of department or with better pay. Doesn't matter if you have a college degree or not.

Management seems to be comfortable and complacent in their positions..not much help to assist employees who want to advance their careers.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Not enough advancement opportunities
Sleepy Workplace
ROW Agent (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 17, 2017
It's very slow-paced, but a pretty secure job. It takes forever to get projects complete. Make sure you fight for a fair wage going in because you won't get another raise for awhile.
not good
Construction Inspector (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 28, 2017
very depressing, the city of tulsa could be a good place to work but the pay is to low even for qualified candidates. the city does not care about the employees but puts on dog and pony show.
Balanced
customer care specialist II (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 7, 2017
The day to day functions would have me interact with the general public. I addressed concerns with service, billing issues and made sure work orders were setup and completed in a timely manner. I feel I received support from my supervisor team.
Pros
job security for the right position
Cons
salary increase not in a timely manner
Nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 2, 2017
Stressful at times but overall a great place to work. Reviewing utility accounts and scheduling dispute hearings. Made utility arrangements and adjustments to accounts. The hardest part of the job was the dispute hearings.
Very enjoyable job running heavy equipment.
Crew Worker 1 (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 21, 2017
Running a backhoe and other heavy equipment is very enjoyable. I would work a regular shift and be ready to be on-call every other weekend. We sometimes pulled 16 hour days, but when doing what you enjoy it never felt like it. I learned a lot on this job about street maintenance,. water lines and people.
Pros
Being able to operate equipment.
Cons
Water breaks in the dead of winter in the middle of the night.
Customer Service Week is always fun
Customer Account Representative I (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 19, 2017
A relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
Nice management personnel.
Customer Service Week is always fun.
A very professional place to work and form good relationships.
equipment was easy to work on
Mechanic ii (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 8, 2017
the place was easy going and relaxed just did not pay what other fleeta were paying reason i left is they took away the pension so there was no reason to stay
The people and the job was awesome.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, Ok.June 26, 2017
The people were awesome. I loved the type of work I was doing and the independence of the work requirement. It was more in my field of study. The pay, the benefits, and the hours were also great.
Pros
Pretty much everything about the job was great.
Cons
I was going through a divorce.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Tulsa. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Tulsa Reviews by Location