City of Tuscaloosa Employee Reviews

Slow-paced job
City Venue Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 26, 2017
Areas of improvement: Management
The most enjoyable part of my job is the people and companies I get to work with and the interactions with the clients/farmers.
How things work
Equipment Operator, Sr. (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 8, 2017
Everything is done by the buddy system and you will be over looked for a job for not being in the clich. If you think for yourself and are not a pushover the City is not a place for you.
Pros
Other workers are good guys
Cons
Very mismanaged
Waiting on Retirement
Senior Secretary - Full Time Employment (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 23, 2017
Thank God for a job - there's no room for growth. It's almost impossible to move up to a new level. You have to know someone in management in order to move up or get hired.
Pros
Benefits after Retirement
Cons
No advancement
great place to work
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALApril 19, 2017
great benefits a very friendly environment travel a lot. help keep the city and county clean off on weekends work not hard............................
Pros
good people
Cons
weather
Excellent place to work!
Water operator trainee (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALOctober 22, 2016
You can't beat the schedule that operators work. The management is easy to work with. As long as you have even a little common sense you'll do just fine.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Insurance rates
Stressful and terrible place to work
Water operator trainee (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 25, 2016
The management here is not good. The people training you do not do their job. The people training me would fall asleep during work and were very rude. The work place is very disorganized.
Pros
Cons
People their only care about themselves and not willing to help you
Amazing Work Experience
Federal Compliance Officer Intern (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 7, 2016
Typically worked with federal funds daily. I work very closely with co-workers to maintain the daily function of this department.
I loved it
Operator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 19, 2015
I love working in the waste water plant in Tuscaloosa. Although it smelled bad all the time, the people and the overall environment were excellent!
Pros
A great place
Cons
It wasn't a pleasant smelling place
Productive workplace and very flexible with work hours.
Wellness Intern (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, AL.February 10, 2015
During a typical day at work I am constantly checking emails, since that is the main source of communication between the city employees and I. I also continue to look for ways to adapt and improve the wellness program that is in place as we continue to grow as a city. In addition to keeping up with emails and researching ways to improve the city's wellness program, I reserve auditoriums and confirm events that have already been set into place.
I have learned many things from the City of Tuscaloosa, such as how to plan for a health fair, continuing to develop the wellness program on a set budget and how to implement different programs within a targeted group of people.
Management within the city is great! Everyone is willing to help as long as you ask for it. Although they don't give you the answers or do things for you, they are always while to guide you in the right direction.
My co-workers are so much more than I could ask for. Just like the management within the city, they are ready to give me a helping hand with any project or program I am needing help with.
The hardest part about this job, is that it is not like a normal internship where they just give you busy work like filing papers. This internship requires you to maintain and improve their wellness program. A lot of the work I do is based on my knowledge, my research and where I think the program should go. Ultimately, the hardest part of this internship is not having a specific thing to do everyday and not having someone there to tell you what to do.
The most enjoyable part of this job is seeing the end result
  more... within the employees, planning the health fair, and creating new things within the program. I love seeing how happy the employees are after being involved in programs the city offers, like Scale Back Alabama.  less
Pros
Flexible hours, free birthday lunches, and having the flexibility to implement programs that I see fit.
Cons
Having to attend multiple meetings throughout the week, and not having the resources or funding needed to make a bigger and better wellness program.
Productive work place
CITIZENS ADVISOR FOR THE MAYOR OF TUSCALOOSA (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 20, 2013
Work are stress free learn about key points issues around the city co-workers are nice people to work with easy job you have the passion to help your citizens most enjoyable part of the job coming to work.
great people to work with.
Equipment Operator senior (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 5, 2012
Maintain the City roads and right of ways. You can learn alot of valuable skills to help you in life.
Pros
lots of vacation time
Cons
not much room for advancement
Productive, Fun, Very Interesting
Meter Technician (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALOctober 11, 2012
Everyday is a different challenge. Days can be very long on certain routes that may include up to 900 meters. I learned how to deal with a variety of people and deal with plenty of animals. My manager tries to help make sure we all are safe. I have good coworkers that are willing to get the job done. The hardest part of this job is cutting off people water that has not paid on time. Some people are very hard to work with and other are very nice. It enjoyable to see different people every day and be all over the City of Tuscaloosa.
Pros
free to move about the city and do my work unsupervised.
Cons
working in any weather at anytime..