City of Tyler Employee Reviews

City of tyler
Building Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJuly 24, 2017
It was good working there I really enjoyed it, just the city pay was no good and the benefits weren't as good as they once were! I would have stayed there if they would have paid me what I was worth!
Bad place to work
Temp Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJuly 18, 2017
Management was VERY controlling and demanding. Lack of communication was an every day thing. I had to deal with bad and resentful attitudes in workers that I hardly knew and never knew why that were so hateful.
All the people I worked with were very scared of the management and losing their jobs.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
Management, intimaintion by managment
Large workload but very productive
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMay 23, 2017
The payroll division of the City of Tyler Finance Department is an amazing place to work. The Workload at times my be unpredictable but the kind plus supporting atmosphere makes it worth it. The major holidays in addition to weekends are off days for city employees. The department runs on the same weekly routine starting with sorting and storing invoices. Latter in the week my primary task was to assist in distributing city employees checks. The City of Tyler was a great place to work because I was taught in-depth about the process of government finance, all while on a reasonable work schedule.
Pros
A safe atmoshpere with loving people.
Cons
Unpredictable workload
City of Tyler
Lifeguard and Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXMay 12, 2017
I had a great work experience being a life guard. For a year I was Assistant Manager and was responsible for the communication between the guards and making sure everyone was on task. I also as a life guard was responsible for monitoring the water, knowing life saving skills, and cleaning.
It was a productive and enjoyable work environment.
High School Internship (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMarch 23, 2017
I got to work on and learn about how trash trucks and other heavy equipment work. Everyone got along great and i enjoyed working with all of the employees.
Upper Management Unprofessional -Parks Dept.
Parks and Recreation (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXFebruary 23, 2017
The most enjoyable part for working for the City of Tyler was the interactions with the community and other internal departments. Most employees are allowed to go to other departmental events during work hours.

The hardest part of the job was being subject to unprofessionalism by upper management in the Parks Department and being powerless to do anything about it.

Many employees did not feel valued or appreciated due to intimidation and retaliation tactics used by upper management. Many employees were subject to inconsistent work expectations based on upper managements personal feelings and favoritism.

I would not recommend the Parks Department to anyone if they are looking for a professional, fair work environment, and a place to grow.
Pros
free lunches, city university, city events, networking
Cons
hiring freeze, unprofessionalism, no balance for supervisor performance reviews
Municipal local government position with great perks and benefits.
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJanuary 17, 2017
Enjoyed working with my co-workers for almost 10 years
and I enjoyed working with the public in many ways, Lots of stability and challenges. Learned people skills in great detail.

City of Tyler Neighborhood Services offered many helpful opportunities for its citizens and employees. The annual budget preparation could be tasking but very rewarding in the accomplished form.

A typical day at work starts early with citizens calling in and preparing paperwork for a very full day.
Pros
Stability and Benefits
Cons
moderate to low pay - though room for advancement in time
Awful Place
City Hall (Former Employee) –  Main campusSeptember 18, 2016
This was a good place to work a few years ago, but not any more. They made some bad decisions a while back that created a financial bind, rather than fess up to the mistake and tackle the problem directly, they decided to spend a mountain of money trying to win a Baldridge award. They failed, and set off a mass exodus of good employees in the process. A few departments have managed to do okay, but others are run by managers with no real skills or experience, who only got promoted because they drank the kool-aide.
Pros
Some departments (PD, P&z, GIS) are pretty good
Cons
Overall, they have lost their vision.
Nice place
Accounting Representative (Former Employee) –  ACCOUNTING DEPTJune 25, 2016
I loved the people. One supervisor got offended because I was too "forward" because I wanted the job.???? Insecure much?
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Snobby upper mngmt
fun workplace but no room for advancement
Rebuild gutter brooms and vacuum head (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXJune 12, 2016
The city of tyler has no room for advancement, the workplace is fun the most enjoyable part about the job is operating the equipment (street sweeper). I have learned several things about maintaining the equipment and how to properly operate.
Pros
40 hours a week, some co workers, and nice equipment
Cons
no room for advancement, low pay, no overtime
one of the easily best job i have had
Wastewater Operator (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXApril 18, 2016
cant wait to go back. great coworkers and bosses. i love working outside. great family feeling amongst coworkers. good benefits
A place to start.
Supervisor/Troubleshooting (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXOctober 21, 2015
This job was a civil servant position with out civil service pay. The people, and customer was exactly what it should be for a town the size of Tyler. I was able to begin to set goals and work toward certificates. I would still be there if they paid a little more.
Horrible job
Container Maintenance Facility Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TX.October 21, 2015
This was the worst job that I have ever had. The management and upper management degraded and belittled their workers on a daily basis. I was completely stressed out while working on this job on a daily basis.
fun workplace
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJune 24, 2015
Work as team helping set up the tables and chair for the party. Coworker are nice not that much communication but good. Management good they clean the halls by hand and stuff good service to have the party.
Pros
free food
Cons
shorts breaks, good place
Very Productive Workplace
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXNovember 19, 2013
Very Productive Workplace and I could have grown and learned in this environment
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
Contract Position
Fun working in the automotive fleet department
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXApril 4, 2013
City officials needed parts for cars and trucks, gas for vehicles, inventory check and ordered of needed parts
Senior Benefits Specialist/Payroll (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXNovember 15, 2012
I love my job and the people that I help daily. I go to work and never know what the day will bring. I enjoy helping the employee's.
Great Place for family
Employee (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXSeptember 7, 2012
I wish I would have never left The City of Tyler. Awesome place to work. Always progressive.