City of Urbana Employee Reviews

Rewarding, yet challenging
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILMay 14, 2016
Being a law enforcement officer has it's benefits, but also a lot of negatives. I think having the support of administrators weighs largely on moral. I feel some administrators do not support police and are nearly anti-police. Police Officers put their lives on the line every time they put on a uniform. Not having support from administrators makes this difficult.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
Seeing the evil in the world
Great career with great officers!
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  City of Urbana, ILMarch 24, 2016
You only work 7 out of 14 days (6, twelve-hour shifts and 1, eight-hour shift), so you will have plenty of time off. There's also plenty of overtime if you want it.

The pay is as good as anywhere in the state. Family health insurance is quite expensive though (approximately $700/month as of 2016).

The FTO process is as strict as I've seen. Since I've been here, there's been about a 30% drop rate. Don't think they will keep you just because they sent you to PTI. You have to prove you are going to be an asset to the department and get along with your peers and superiors. If you prove you belong and make it through FTO and probation, job security is no problem. Unless you really screw up, the union and PD have your back.

Management, for the most part, has your back and works with you on your weaknesses. You will find that there are some superiors you will enjoy working with more than others, just like any other career.

I have really enjoyed my time with the Urbana Police Department and will stay as many years as I'm able to work. We want proactive officers constantly pushing themselves to be better officers. You will work with some of the best officers in the state. We have each other's backs and willingly rush into danger (sometimes potentially deadly situations) without batting an eye; and that has to be your mindset coming into this career. If you can't do that, we don't have any use for you.
Pros
Plenty of time off, plenty of overtime to bid for, great coworkers, excellent pay
Cons
Expensive family healthcare, routinely shorthanded on patrol, civilian review board
Worked here as an Intern.
Business Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILSeptember 25, 2015
Amazing group of people. Has an excellent staff with closely associated to the work. Had a wonderful time here. Made me learn many essential skills.
typical municipal employer
Investigations Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILOctober 30, 2014
City has been good to work for and largely free of petty political interference in the office I worked for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Urbana. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3