City of Virginia Beach Employee Reviews

Average
Account Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 27, 2017
Management in your division really determines how your work day will be determined. They can make it very difficult or very easy. Overall the city is very stable
Nice place to work
Clerk Cashier (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMay 31, 2017
The hours can be challenging but overall a great atmosphere to work in. The moral is really great and the pay is good for what you do. Not sure why I have to do a review but I guess its worth it to help others.
Beware
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 16, 2017
Poor job advancement opportunities, lack of training, high turnover, disrespectful atmosphere, poor morale. Lack of managerial support of employees. There are a few employees in mid to upper management that truly offer support however they are a rare find. Weigh your options before you accept an offer.
Pros
Job security for full time employees
Cons
Rude and untrustworthy management, little to no room for career development, unrealistic case loads
Great career starter
VIRGINIA BEACH (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 14, 2017
Great job for younger adults starting out without kids but pay for individual with family will struggle. The city policy on pto for new hires i dont like.
Pros
Guranteed work
Cons
Career progression is slow.
N/a
City Worker (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 2, 2017
Typically good work life balance depending on the particular manager or group that you work for" City Jobs is a niche job board serving the banking and financial institutions in the City. I have been able to circulate my CV to those employers and agencies who practice in my area of work. The site is so easy to use. I registered for jobs by email, and every day I received all new jobs that were relevant to me. I had registered with many sites, but this one is clearly way ahead of the others - come on, copy City Jobs and give them competition - raise the game!
Pros
Good benefits when I started 6 years ag
Cons
Extremely low pay, very political, no unity across the city
I love the job its a very active job keeps you focus it teaches you how to be a very dependle person must stay focus
Beach ops (Current Employee) –  14st virginia beach blvdJanuary 6, 2017
I weed eat trim trees dump trash clean Beach . put down ramps blow sand off boardwalk
I enjoy working there I've learned alot a nice I've been there .
Cons
Im a very dependle person on time every day will get along with anyone
great city
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 17, 2016
it a great city to live in and work for with a municipality. great benefits and good leader in the city government, I was layed off due to the down sizing in city government. last in first out.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Positive, inclusive and fun programming
Activity Center Leader (Current Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 11, 2016
The Out-of-School Time Unit is a fun, safe, and inclusive environment for children ages 5-12. This unit offers before- and after-school programs, holiday Break Camps, and Summer Camps at Virginia Beach elementary schools and Recreation Centers. The most enjoyable part of this position is building relationships with children who need positive reinforcement and encouragement on a daily basis. Through working with children and co-workers from diverse backgrounds, I have strengthened my communication and people management skills. Though the environment is fast-paced and sometimes challenging, the valuable element of teamwork ensures the program's success.
Pros
Job security; paid personal leave, several paid trainings available
Cons
Part-time staff may not exceed 27 hours per week, no advancement opportunities beyond Activity Center Leader position
Loved my job
Senior Adult Services (Former Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 31, 2016
Overall rating*5
Job Work/Life Balance5
Compensation/Benefits5
Job Security/Advancement5
Management5
Job Culture Senior
Pros
Seniors were happy
Cons
no raises
Good benefits
Emergency Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 29, 2016
Good benefits working for the City. Nice people. Wish I had worked in a dept that gave you holidays off but that was my fault. Long hours and lots of overtime are what made me leave bc it wasn't good for my family

Want to know more about City of Virginia Beach?

Ask a question
It is a fun place to work. People are nice and friendly.
Mosquito Control Biologist Intern (Current Employee) –  City of Virginia Beach, VASeptember 14, 2016
I usually drive around the city to set up mosquito traps. Then next day I pick them up to identify them to protect public health.
City of Virginia Beach: Public Works
Engineering Intern I (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 23, 2016
A typical day at work is a very comfortable environment, where I come in and have certain assignments to get done by a certain time or day. I have learned about time management, what it is like to be a project manager, and have gained the necessary exposure to understand this industry a lot better. Working with my other colleagues provides for a social environment where we get along well and get the optimum amount of work done. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am putting to use what I learned in my years at college.
Pros
Exposure to real-life situations
Cons
No position offered after internship
Not a great place to work
Mosquito and Pest Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 9, 2016
The work is extremely hard, no room for advancing. This is a very stressful place to work. Not a great place to work. I do not enjoy working outdoors
It was Great
Activity Leader (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 31, 2016
was a great learning experience for me. They gave me opportunities to grow. Great work environment. Flexible hours.

I tell all my friends if they need job for the summer look here.
Nice Supplemental Income
Election Official - Registrar of Voters (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 10, 2016
Only work on election days. Fun environment, nice way to take part in your community. Hardest part is working sometimes from 5am until 10pm or later.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Can work 15+ hr days depending
Ok place to work
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 31, 2016
The typical work day is 10-12 hours long, answering calls for service. The co workers are great. For the most part you work with minor supervision.
Pros
Work with minor supervision
Cons
you never know when you will leave and often work on days off
great
Construction Inspector III (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 24, 2016
Contract administion for C.I.P. projects. Field engineering decision & design, review plans, set up preconstruction meeting and run, set books and files up for that project, keep daily work sheets with quantities and project activities, do monthly estimates, change orders and formal notification as needed start to finish, close out each project books, keep as-builds on plans and all changes to plans, correspond with all private utilities and railroads, handle all complaints public and city’s. Inspect all phase of roadwork , ranging from storm drain, water, sewer, earth work, soil cement , lime, stone , concrete, concrete paving, asphalt, traffic items, bridges, box culverts and erosion control items. I have installed storm drain, water-lines, sewer lines, and build structures, order materials, tested all water lines and sewer lines to compliance with the city’s standards by flushing, chlorine, bacteriologic test and hydrostatic pressure test, infiltration and exfiltration test on sewer. Special skills set up laser, use transit, level and run most equipment.
Upper Management failing!
BEHAVIOR SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 14, 2016
Large turnover rate within last couple over years. Upper management is unaware of the all departments do and consistently makes changes for across the board. All changes cannot apply to all departments!
Pros
Consistent pay
Cons
Raising prices in health insurance, No pay raises, Staff doing no work getting paid the most, Upper management making changes based on their benefit and safety!
Review
Afterschool Counselor (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 8, 2016
It is a nice company to work in when you are in college like I am but its not full time only during the summer. Benefits kind of suck. It is a job where if you want to make money you need a second job.
Good people to work with
Parks/Rec Aide - Recreation Center (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 17, 2016
The managers were generally good and I enjoy working with and helping the public. The part time schedules were not fixed, but the duties were pretty straight-forward
Pros
good working conditions and training
Cons
non-standard hours and no benefits for part-time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Virginia Beach. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2