City of Virginia Beach

City of Virginia Beach Employee Reviews

City of Virginia Beach: Public Works
Engineering Intern I (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 23, 2016
A typical day at work is a very comfortable environment, where I come in and have certain assignments to get done by a certain time or day. I have learned about time management, what it is like to be a project manager, and have gained the necessary exposure to understand this industry a lot better. Working with my other colleagues provides for a social environment where we get along well and get the optimum amount of work done. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am putting to use what I learned in my years at college.
Pros
Exposure to real-life situations
Cons
No position offered after internship
Not a great place to work
Mosquito and Pest Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 9, 2016
The work is extremely hard, no room for advancing. This is a very stressful place to work. Not a great place to work. I do not enjoy working outdoors
It was Great
Activity Leader (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 31, 2016
was a great learning experience for me. They gave me opportunities to grow. Great work environment. Flexible hours.

I tell all my friends if they need job for the summer look here.
Nice Supplemental Income
Election Official - Registrar of Voters (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 10, 2016
Only work on election days. Fun environment, nice way to take part in your community. Hardest part is working sometimes from 5am until 10pm or later.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Can work 15+ hr days depending
Ok place to work
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 31, 2016
The typical work day is 10-12 hours long, answering calls for service. The co workers are great. For the most part you work with minor supervision.
Pros
Work with minor supervision
Cons
you never know when you will leave and often work on days off
great
Construction Inspector III (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 24, 2016
Contract administion for C.I.P. projects. Field engineering decision & design, review plans, set up preconstruction meeting and run, set books and files up for that project, keep daily work sheets with quantities and project activities, do monthly estimates, change orders and formal notification as needed start to finish, close out each project books, keep as-builds on plans and all changes to plans, correspond with all private utilities and railroads, handle all complaints public and city’s. Inspect all phase of roadwork , ranging from storm drain, water, sewer, earth work, soil cement , lime, stone , concrete, concrete paving, asphalt, traffic items, bridges, box culverts and erosion control items. I have installed storm drain, water-lines, sewer lines, and build structures, order materials, tested all water lines and sewer lines to compliance with the city’s standards by flushing, chlorine, bacteriologic test and hydrostatic pressure test, infiltration and exfiltration test on sewer. Special skills set up laser, use transit, level and run most equipment.
Upper Management failing!
BEHAVIOR SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 14, 2016
Large turnover rate within last couple over years. Upper management is unaware of the all departments do and consistently makes changes for across the board. All changes cannot apply to all departments!
Pros
Consistent pay
Cons
Raising prices in health insurance, No pay raises, Staff doing no work getting paid the most, Upper management making changes based on their benefit and safety!
Review
Afterschool Counselor (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 8, 2016
It is a nice company to work in when you are in college like I am but its not full time only during the summer. Benefits kind of suck. It is a job where if you want to make money you need a second job.
Good people to work with
Parks/Rec Aide - Recreation Center (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 17, 2016
The managers were generally good and I enjoy working with and helping the public. The part time schedules were not fixed, but the duties were pretty straight-forward
Pros
good working conditions and training
Cons
non-standard hours and no benefits for part-time.
Nice environment
Early Childhood Activity Assistant Leader (Current Employee) –  VADecember 2, 2015
Great organization , fun environment with friendly co workers. Flexible work schedule that allows you to work and attend school.
Pros
weekends off

Want to know more about City of Virginia Beach?

Ask a question
Fun work place
Activty Center Lead (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 18, 2015
Love working here but too much drama, Love working with the kids.
No room for a full time advancement. Great working for so you can get the holidays off
Pros
Kids
Cons
Drama
fun energetic work place
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  VAOctober 19, 2015
great work work place, i was able to work with children ages 5-10. it was an before school / after school program were we were able to interact with children on many levels. assist them with day to day situation, homework etc.
Pros
city job
Cons
not enough room to move up in that particular work field
Stressful hostile environment
Child Protective Services Investigator (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 9, 2015
Great co workers who worked well together and who had each others back. Horrible upper management. Unrealistic demands and expectations. Family life was last job was first. Overtime was to be expected.
A great work place that enhanced your skills
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Virginia BeachSeptember 21, 2015
The City of Virginia Beach crafted my landscape skills to an other level. I had prior experience before I joined but I learned how to work on a team implementing ideas from all the crew. I was taught to operate a variety of tractors and trucks such as a street sweeper, water truck, dodge 5500, chevy 4500, JCB 411b pay loader, Zmowers, and stihl small engine equipment.
Pros
Great benefits, steady pay
Great city to work for
PSET1 911 CALLTAKER (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 2, 2015
There was no typical day at work due to the nature of 911 call taking. I learned there are so many people who do not understand exactly what it takes to be a 911 call taker and what they go through on a daily basis and the commitment and pride they take in their job.
My co workers were awesome.
Custodian
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 4, 2015
Clock in and begin my shift which consist of preparing my cart and getting my supplies together so that I can begin to clean the building

Responsible for cleaning of various administrative offices, break room areas, bathrooms, conference rooms and outside walkways. Restock restroom supplies and assist with cleaning the production areas.
Pros
Work with limited supervision
Cons
no con enjoy the job
Great place to work as an intern
Human Resource Intern (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 11, 2015
Work was ready for me as soon as I walked in. the associates help each other. Management was always trying to help you learn more. There was some tension between co-workers but nothing out of the ordinary. Trying to be hired as a permanent employee. The co-workers were the best part of the job.
Pros
clear job descriptions
Cons
internships do not garuntee jobs
The best job I ever had
Sewage Department (Former Employee) –  VAFebruary 28, 2015
This job was the best job I ever had I regret making decisions that caused me not able to work for the city anymore. This job paid well it gave me benifits.
Pros
retirement
An ongoing training envirnoment.
Family Services Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 2, 2015
As an employee with the City of Virginia Beach, Child Protective Services Investigative Unit, I have attended several trainings to gain further education and knowledge about Child Welfare. Virginia Beach is a popular city with diverse populations, which has increased my cultural competence.
Good Place
Activity Center Assistant Leader (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 29, 2015
Good place to work. Depending on your co workers it can be a great place to work. Lot to do which is good for people who like to stay busy. Many events go on in the company. Tend to meet many people who work in the company very easy for them to remember you in a good way. Care about their employees.
Pros
paid training, east to take off, hours
Cons
hours, sometimes co workers

4.2