City of Wichita Employee Reviews

The Worst Experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Water DepartmentJanuary 22, 2017
On our first day no one knew where our small group (5) needed to report after orientation. I worked in the call center for the water department and once location had been figured out we were told to report back in 3 days for training. Our trainer had been with the department for close to 20 years or more and had worked up to her current position. This was the worst training I have ever experienced in my entire working career. One the first day of training she told us that by the end of training only 2 would finish because the others would be let go. She quickly zeroed in on the more professional one in the group-putting them on the spot-commenting on their (possible) income, making statements about where they bought their clothes, and at one point statements about the employee's personal relationship. It was obvious to all of us she was setting this person up to leave and less than 4 weeks after we started the employee had been let go. She then moved on to the next, and then another. I was lucky she liked me! Other than the management I like the staff and I like helping others. The pay is good and time off with the holidays is nice. But it is very cliquey and that can make it stressful.
Pros
Pay and holidays
Cons
Training and management
Ideal for independant workers
Engineering Aid II (inspector) (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 20, 2016
If you enjoy working independently, then a public works inspector for the City of Wichita is your ideal position. Typically your responsible for the inspection of large scale public works projects or several small scale projects at a time. A typical day consists of reviewing the work performed on one or more job sights, and verifying it aligns with the project plans and city specifications. The supervision is minimal as the project engineer is usually working in the office while the employees are in the field. Most supervisor contact is by phone, text, or email.
Most co-workers are easy to get along with. As most have their own projects, contact is infrequent with the exception of regular staff meetings.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with the irate public. As these are public works projects, they usually involve construction zoning, blocking traffic, work on public utility easements. Working in these areas tend to irritate the public, and as the most available city worker, you usually bear the burden of letting the public vent.
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that your helping to make the city a better place. While the public is irate during construction, they are usually pretty grateful at the conclusion of the project.
Pros
Foot wear reinbursement. All tools provided.
Cons
Current Health Benifits, Record keeping requrements.
great work environment, Wichita, KS
Data Entry Clerk for Water & Sewer Dept. & Main (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 1, 2017
The hours at this position was perfect for my schedule at that time.
I enjoyed the work and the people I worked with.
I learned a lot about the City of Wichita Water and Sewer Dept.
I improved upon my data entry skills as well.
started mowing, ended as section head
street services, supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 3, 2017
very good place to work, I worked hard, was able to advance and retire. worked outside at first which I enjoyed, operating many different types of equipment
Pros
retirement
Cons
on call every day, 24 hrs
With the right people in place and maybe a significant pay raise it could be an awesome place to work, I can see the city losing a lot of great people
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 3, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job for me is meeting new people and building lasting friendships. When given the chance I have learned quite a bit under the leadership of one said supervisor by the name of Andre Wilson of the Northeast sub, this guy is amazing and will do whatever it takes to make sure the guys under his leadership get the proper training in order to perform their day to day duties. The hardest part of the job is dealing with some of my co-workers that may have personal problems and bring them to work. That to me kills the moral of any workplace!! I strongly believe that ALL individuals that work for the city should still get random drug tests because our lives depend on safety and a clear mind when dealing with heavy equipment and the public.
Pros
work hours, benefits, the ability to move around to different departments..
Cons
Short lunches, poor comunication between co-workers, and no one to report a complaint to without feeling like the victim.
Summer of fun activities!
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 14, 2016
This summer job is perfect for summer employment. Always fun and field trips every week! The staff is friendly and willing to help with additional training.
Pros
Exciting place to work.
Cons
Only for summer employment.
Easy to get comfortable, good healthcare
Laborer, E01 & E02 (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 4, 2016
good consistent work week will always get your 40 and good healthcare. pro's and con's healthcare is hard to beat for sure.
Pros
good health care
Cons
good ol boy buddy system, all about who you know, very poor decisions on a few supervisors goes back to who you know, takes a while to make a decent livable wage but healthcare is hard to beat
Very physical and dirty
Water Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 19, 2014
installing and fixing water mains and service lines

Learned how to use all kinds of tools effectively

Management was very sketchy and very unfair

Co-workers very easy to work with got along with them very good.

Digging around utilities

Running the backhoe
Pros
Good Benifits
Cons
the elements
great pay and great beneifts
Service Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 2, 2015
great pay and great benefits and managers are great and very knowledgeable. They allow you to do many different things so that you can learn more.
not a terrible place to work if you can get on there.
Laborer- Water & Sewer department (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 11, 2013
good job just VERY repetitive. You get to work with a wide variety of people, it is "paid for 8, then hit the gate" type job.
Pros
decent pay, great benefits.
Cons
snow season

Want to know more about City of Wichita?

Ask a question
Good job and benefits
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Wichita falls,TXOctober 31, 2013
Meeting in morning and get assigned to what jobs that need to be done. Job would always change putting in new water lines, hydrants, New customer taps, Meters, and fix what ever main leaks where going on. Co workers would get together on big projects to help maintain water lose.
Hardest part of job Long hours being on call at times but paid off with the over time as well money went towards retirement.
management
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 13, 2015
when u have a problem, there is no open door policy, when u go to someone about a training issue or an issue with a co worker they use that issue against u in the long run. all around a bad company to work for.
Pros
good insurance
Cons
bad management, no open door poicy
enjoyable
Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 12, 2012
*normal eight hour shift with lunchh and 2 breaks
*became a team lead and trainer of my area
*management is mostly open and listens
*co-workers are for the most part fantastic
*the hardest part of my job is knowing that there is not anywhere to move up
*gaining a tremendous amount of knowledge and skills
Cons
unable to move up in pay grade without longterm commitment education etc. doesn't help with pay
Learning experince
Docket Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wichita, ksAugust 9, 2012
Job duties same as Trial Clerk (St. of Ks)
Management was very hands on and helpfull.
all co-workers were team players
Mad customers were the hardest part of the job.
Everyone got along (all women). A plesant working enviroment.
Pros
work enviroment
Cons
unhappy people (customers)
Good place to work (for government employment)
Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 5, 2015
Enjoyed working for the city but have to remember that doing things following the step-by-step procedures are mandatory even if you can do it quicker and more efficiently otherwise. As with any government employment the three most important letters are CYA.
Pros
Structured work environment and benefit package.
Cons
Strict adherence to P&P and those can (and do) change often.
Fun workplace, very laid back
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  WICHITA, KSMay 8, 2012
At this particular job I had a blast helping the kids with homework in the after school program and helping with their situatuions. We played a lot of games and just had a lot of fun. Management was great as well as the coworkers!
Upper management was poor
POLICE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 4, 2012
Adversarial. Never felt like the city managers were behind thier employees.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
upper management on a witch hunt.
productive work environment with basketball court.
Custodian/Gym activities monitor (Former Employee) –  1329 E 16th St N, Wichita, KS 67214February 7, 2014
i performed all custodial duty's during the day from sweeping, mopping, vacum, clean restrooms my co workers were friendly.
the hardest part of the job was cleaning the toilets and the best part of the job was monitoring the gym
Pros
free lunches and two brakes
The work environment can be stressful. I have gained life long friends.
Docket Specialist Municipal Court (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 13, 2014
A typical day, begins rather quietly at 7:00 am, but eventually picks up and can be quite hectic..The most enjoyable part of my job is being in the court room, and being able to a help a customer when needed.
Enjoyable work environment with wonderful people.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 14, 2012
Lots to stay busy, people from every walk of life come together to share an experience of information, education, entertainment and business needs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Wichita. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Wichita Reviews by Location