City of Wichita Employee Reviews

Enjoyed this job
Typist Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 9, 2017
A review of any company should be up to the individual. I really have nothing to say about this department because there is little that could be understood by the average citizen.
It's a decent place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 26, 2017
City of Wichita is a decent work environment. As long as you keep your head down, do your work, and mind your business, you shouldn't have any issues. It's not the friendliest environment.
Why leaving Wichita
2nd Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 10, 2017
Leaving Wichita to help others in need and use my job skills to rebuild a town that has been devastated by the act of God. Have lived in Texas before and have family living around the Houston - Corpus Christi areas.
Pros
Government job
Cons
Wichita has high taxes
Toxic work environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 31, 2017
Poor work ethic and volatile tempers are rewarded here. Poor communication, if any from supervisors. Gossip is a huge part of the work culture, employee safety is not valued, and hours are constantly being changed. After being fired through a text message with no performance or disciplinary record, all of the staff were told not to serve as references. A malicious work atmosphere.
Pros
Some of the staff/customers, pay
Cons
Management, communication, safety, constant change in hours
City of Wichita
Refuse maintenance worker (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 23, 2017
The work is fine, but supervisors are never satisfied. Many employees will help you out when needed. They will help you get a CDL license. The work is tedious, but it can be great paying job for many.
decent job, not much room to advance
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 10, 2017
It pays the bills. It's okay. There is job security. If everyone worked as a team like they should, it would be a better place to work. There is just poor communication, from everyone, including some supervisors.
City of People
TEMP (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 10, 2017
Working for the City granted me so many different skills and abilities. I learned so much about the inner and outer workings of the cities structure and it was a great place to learn more about where I lived. The employee atmosphere was always bright and illuminating and welcoming.
Fast paced
Systems Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 29, 2017
Be read to work dont show up late this job is definitely a good start to something big however there are no raises, management is very strict and doesn't cut slack for anything it is nice to learn new things also travel to various other city locations i would only recommend the intern position to teens if you think this will pay the bills it wont... You also dont get any benefits as an intern due to only be allowed 25 hours a week at 11.10 an hour but the job itself teaches you better customer service and you become to gain a better understanding of windows, and networks.
Cons
No advancement, no benefits, low pay, and management isnt the best
Good job security and benefits
Systems Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 16, 2017
It is a great place to gain experience and learn the job. They hire interns and provide them a good working environment to go from no experience to experienced.
job
Custodian 1 (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 7, 2017
the over all job was great but management sucks, they don't answer any questions they don't know how do the job they are doing and give you a lot of problems if someone has kids
Pros
insurance
Cons
management
Systems Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 31, 2017
Good place to work, on the job training is a huge plus. Very understanding management that allows you to cross train in various areas bettering yourself and helping the City at the same time.
Fun, secure, safe
Parks Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 30, 2017
A typical day at work includes a various amount of tasks. It is far from monotonous. One day we can be spraying, the next we can be pruning. I learned how to operate small engine equipment. The hardest part is the physical labor. However it is also the most enjoyable part.
Full of alot of people who don't know what they are doing.
Traffic Signal Electrician (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 3, 2017
Great place to work if you like back stabbers, and cry babies, people who if they don't get their way will back stab you. It's bad folks, most of the people I know that work there are looking for a way out.
Pros
Cons
low pay, bad moral.
Very fun place to work to help the community
Gymnastics Instructor (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 23, 2017
I taught a lot of different kids both boys and girls aged from 3-12 years old. I learned that kids have many different ways of learning. My supervisor is very laid back but also professional. I think he was very comfortable with being laid back with me because he knew I was a hard worker. The hardest part of my job is not knowing if I'll have enough children sign up for the next set of classes to run because of the cost. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to serve the community and help the children be active and hopefully fall in love with sports.
Pros
I love working with children and it didn't interfere with my home life
Cons
Only part time and need more hours. Also wish it was a bigger and growing program.
the city is a great place to work
Lobor supervisor (Former Employee) –  City of Wichita, KSMarch 21, 2017
I worked for the city for 36 years it was and still is a great place to work. It is a place you can get the training needed to advance your career and have the job security.
Pros
job security and a good retirement
The Worst Experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Water DepartmentJanuary 22, 2017
On our first day no one knew where our small group (5) needed to report after orientation. I worked in the call center for the water department and once location had been figured out we were told to report back in 3 days for training. Our trainer had been with the department for close to 20 years or more and had worked up to her current position. This was the worst training I have ever experienced in my entire working career. One the first day of training she told us that by the end of training only 2 would finish because the others would be let go. She quickly zeroed in on the more professional one in the group-putting them on the spot-commenting on their (possible) income, making statements about where they bought their clothes, and at one point statements about the employee's personal relationship. It was obvious to all of us she was setting this person up to leave and less than 4 weeks after we started the employee had been let go. She then moved on to the next, and then another. I was lucky she liked me! Other than the management I like the staff and I like helping others. The pay is good and time off with the holidays is nice. But it is very cliquey and that can make it stressful.
Pros
Pay and holidays
Cons
Training and management
started mowing, ended as section head
street services, supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 3, 2017
very good place to work, I worked hard, was able to advance and retire. worked outside at first which I enjoyed, operating many different types of equipment
Pros
retirement
Cons
on call every day, 24 hrs
great work environment, Wichita, KS
Data Entry Clerk for Water & Sewer Dept. & Main (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 1, 2017
The hours at this position was perfect for my schedule at that time.
I enjoyed the work and the people I worked with.
I learned a lot about the City of Wichita Water and Sewer Dept.
I improved upon my data entry skills as well.
Summer of fun activities!
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 14, 2016
This summer job is perfect for summer employment. Always fun and field trips every week! The staff is friendly and willing to help with additional training.
Pros
Exciting place to work.
Cons
Only for summer employment.
Ideal for independant workers
Engineering Aid II (inspector) (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 20, 2016
If you enjoy working independently, then a public works inspector for the City of Wichita is your ideal position. Typically your responsible for the inspection of large scale public works projects or several small scale projects at a time. A typical day consists of reviewing the work performed on one or more job sights, and verifying it aligns with the project plans and city specifications. The supervision is minimal as the project engineer is usually working in the office while the employees are in the field. Most supervisor contact is by phone, text, or email.
Most co-workers are easy to get along with. As most have their own projects, contact is infrequent with the exception of regular staff meetings.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with the irate public. As these are public works projects, they usually involve construction zoning, blocking traffic, work on public utility easements. Working in these areas tend to irritate the public, and as the most available city worker, you usually bear the burden of letting the public vent.
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that your helping to make the city a better place. While the public is irate during construction, they are usually pretty grateful at the conclusion of the project.
Pros
Foot wear reinbursement. All tools provided.
Cons
Current Health Benifits, Record keeping requrements.