City of Wilmington Employee Reviews in United States

nice place
Information Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 12, 2016
Laid back environment with nice people.
Most enjoyable part was getting lunch at the cafe.
Management was nice and cared about you.
A good opportunities to learn and advance
I currently serve as superintendent (Current Employee) –  Wilmington IL 60481December 15, 2015
I am currently the Superintendent of water for a small City in rural IL.
We operate a Clari-Cone, lime softening and coagulation plant that processes Kankakee River Water for our residents.
I began in the meter department with the City in 2002 and advanced from there.
It has been a privilege to work for a system that has allowed me the opportunities to learn so much and advance my career.
Good Work Environment
Storm Water Maintenance / Pipe Inspector (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 17, 2015
My overall experience working with the City of Wilmington was good. The people I worked with in both departments, were all nice and welcoming. I learned a lot in my short times within working for COW but due to family matters, I had to cut my time short. I enjoyed working with the Fan Boat and also working with the Robot in inspecting pipes, along other areas. It feels good to better the community and really see in the inter workings of the people that keep this city going. I know the people I worked with were always willing to take the time to teach or show you something and management from what I saw could have been better with their jobs and getting onto certain things quicker. The hardest part of the job, would be the lack of equipment for certain task ( using weed matters when clearly it was a lawnmowers task). No one should have to use a weed eater to cut down a whole field. The most enjoyable part would be obtaining all the knowledge I picked up and the people I was able to get to know.
Pros
Able to obtain CDL and more through the process of working
Cons
Not allowed to use GPS on phone to find locations better
Fun workplace
School Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Wilmington DeOctober 17, 2015
Learn of different ways to assist people across the street. Working special events during the season. Working as a team ,also meeting new people.
Steady flowing office, enjoy what I do and co-workers
Assistant City Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCAugust 1, 2015
Compiling information from paperwork and computer. Emails sending and receiving. Customer Service in office and on the phone. Enjoy co-workers. Being productive and meeting deadlines.
Benefits
Cons
Don't enjoy the work or my co-workers
Great place to gain experience
Administrative Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJuly 1, 2015
Although the company's business practices seem stoic and outdated, this is a great place to work if you need to gain professional experience or an understanding of government processes.
Very Busy
Human Resource Information Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 21, 2015
Typically handle Union Contracts at 8am until 12 Noon. Workers Compensation, Benefits, Hiring Practices, Payroll Issues, Posting Applications, Interviews, Handling Miscellaneous Issues such as meetings, conflicts, harassments, etc. until 5pm. Running with food in my mouth because I am unable to sit and eat lunch because there is always an issue or fire that needs burning out. Come home exhausted, within 20 minutes the tv ends up watching me. I learned that a reduce free stress job is the key to my happiness and enjoyment of life.
Pros
Busy
Cons
short breaks, pay, management.
The City of Wilmington
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMay 13, 2015
Learning basic receptionist work. Answering telephones, operating a switch board telelphone. Viewing and ansering voice messages. Data entry.

Internship with The City of Wilmington
productive and excellet workplace
Automotive Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMarch 10, 2015
I enjoyed this position because you were able to start and complete the entire job. We had on the job training as well as sent out to the dealerships for additional training. excellent co-workers and the job was very enjoyable because of the knowledge that you got from the various training
Pros
very little room for advancement
Cons
excellent benefits, vacation and sick time
Good Job
Police Officer City (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEDecember 3, 2014
The City of Wilmington was a great place to work and the benefits as a police office are unrivaled base on what I know about other companies.

The greatest thing about the job was it allowed for self motivation and creative use of the rules within reason.

It was an honor to serve the citizens of Wilmington for twenty-two years.
Pros
the honor that came with the job
Cons
three 12 our shifts
Training
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DENovember 10, 2014
The company was a good place to work, everyone was very helpful
Fun, safe work environment.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 29, 2014
Friendly staff. Great experience providing children with a weekend excursion. Enjoyed exposing children to new learning experiences in country setting absent of all electronic stimulation. Great nature experience.
Pros
great atmosphere. fun staff.
Cons
seasonal only.
Love working for the city
Pool Manager and Lead Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Wilmington DelawareJanuary 31, 2014
Great place to work, eat and have fun with co-workers. City life working is always great. make ones work day go by faster.
Productive work place
Monitor (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 16, 2014
My work day always starts with communication from the director discussing what needs to be don't for that day. Or any upcoming events. The hardest part of my job was trying to gather all the proper paper work on time from clients. I can say that I really enjoyed working with children and fulfilling the needs of families.
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCSeptember 10, 2013
Laid back place to work, activities daily makes you feel like a big kid. A day at work is easy and very laid back.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
no benefits
Customer service centered organization
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT INTERN (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCAugust 19, 2013
A typical day included interacting with various community stakeholders and interest groups. Organizational processes and procedures are well organized and employes are encouraged to participate in developing organizational goals and objectives. Management a the CIty of Wilmington is of the top quality and actively seek input form staff members.
Learning Experience
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 4, 2013
The work environment was welcoming and helpful in learning to excel in different aspects of the company.
I need security and I"m not sure there is ,for the last 5 months it has been month to month even though I"m considered full time.
Maintenance Worker I (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, ILMay 23, 2013
My typical day would be help out with readings(DO and Sludge Depths) then run a sludge press or do maintenance on equipment or fix something thats broken,not everyday is the same..
Pros
every other friday.
Cons
dependas on the situation.
I love this job
Park Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEFebruary 21, 2013
answered phones, made copies,taking down messages. helping the kids with classwork. and aslo playing games with them.passing out asignments.
Pros
i liked answering the phone
Cons
n/a
The city of wilmington is a great place to work
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEOctober 25, 2012
The city of wilmington is productive and is fun and a great place to work.Through out the day they reward us with free lunches.The only down fall is its only part time with no benifits.
Pros
they take great care of there employs
Cons
they offer no benifets or full time employment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Wilmington. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2