City of Wilmington Employee Reviews

productive and relaxed office setting.
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 13, 2017
The people are super nice and helpful when you need them. Staying focused is key in order to fulfill daily requirements. All supervisors are hands on and willing to work with or around ever-changing schedules.
fun plaace to work
Park Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMay 7, 2017
good days bad days good kids bad kids helpful people takes trips explore what world has to offer easy job easy money would do it all over again had to
Great experience
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEApril 21, 2017
Working for the city I got to see how it feels to be needed. Many events I've worked,other employees and I made a big difference in making sure events ran smoothly
City of Wilmington
laberor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMarch 17, 2017
Good working environment deal with other people work opn signs and parking meters and survey the city streets. fix street lights and city signal lights
Unfair Positioning
Fleet Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 23, 2017
Working on the cities vehicles was great. Repairing and reviving the mobility and doing maintenance was stress relieving for me. There was great effort to ensure that I would not satisfy management to receive a permanent position. The position was open for a mechanic, but after the temporary status ended, the permanent slot was offered to someone that could only change tires.
Pros
Opportunity for financial stability, good benefits, time with family, weekends off
Cons
Unavailable opportunities
A day at the workplace
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 18, 2017
Assist and supervise campers with daily activities, such as field trips and academic activity reinforcement, also distributed park lunches to students.
Pros
working with kids
Cons
short breaks
no comments
Administrative Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCDecember 18, 2016
Co workers were great to work with, but the management teams need a lot of improvement. They have the attitude of be thankful you have a job, which makes me to believe why the turnover rates is so high along with compensation being horrible.
Inconsistent Policy Administration
Administration (Current Employee) –  DowntownDecember 6, 2016
Inconsistent Policy Administration. Favorable treatment displayed often without regard to EEO. Inefficient procedures and practices.
It was a nice working experience for the summer
Supervisor of Food and Nutrition Services (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DENovember 4, 2016
my day consist of working in the field, going to different sites, as a monitor, making sure things are ran right, by state law. had to cover my parks if someone called out, it was a nice good, always on the go, just think i should of had a better pay rate, cause i was traveling in my own car.
Risk Management Analyst Asst. (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEOctober 26, 2016
Wonderful place to work. You have the option of learning new things on a daily basis. Opportunities are in great demand for city workers. Knowing people that work there also helps.
Pros
Great people
Cons
contractual
good job
Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCOctober 12, 2016
We have a great IT team to work with and there's opportunity for career growth and advancement. Customer service and troubleshooting are the top priorities of our department, along with helping build success through technology.
Loved this postion
School Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 20, 2016
As a crossing guard for the City Of Wilmington I loved this Job!!! the management was great and I would love to return in the future. The schools I was assigned to was very easy to get to.
Pros
close to home
Cons
not enough hours
A sum-up of working for the City of Wilmington
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEAugust 11, 2016
A typical day at work for the city as a custodian was consistent of cleaning the school and waxing the floors. I've learned how to keep a station clean (no joking). The management there was the best. They taught me everything I needed to know and they stayed on me to make sure that I wasn't going to mess up. My co workers worked as hard I did, so we all kept good feeling of each other. The hardest part of my job was getting up early enough to eat breakfast. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that we got free lunches and a long break.
nice place
Information Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 12, 2016
Laid back environment with nice people.
Most enjoyable part was getting lunch at the cafe.
Management was nice and cared about you.
A good opportunities to learn and advance
I currently serve as superintendent (Current Employee) –  Wilmington IL 60481December 15, 2015
I am currently the Superintendent of water for a small City in rural IL.
We operate a Clari-Cone, lime softening and coagulation plant that processes Kankakee River Water for our residents.
I began in the meter department with the City in 2002 and advanced from there.
It has been a privilege to work for a system that has allowed me the opportunities to learn so much and advance my career.
Good Work Environment
Storm Water Maintenance / Pipe Inspector (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 17, 2015
My overall experience working with the City of Wilmington was good. The people I worked with in both departments, were all nice and welcoming. I learned a lot in my short times within working for COW but due to family matters, I had to cut my time short. I enjoyed working with the Fan Boat and also working with the Robot in inspecting pipes, along other areas. It feels good to better the community and really see in the inter workings of the people that keep this city going. I know the people I worked with were always willing to take the time to teach or show you something and management from what I saw could have been better with their jobs and getting onto certain things quicker. The hardest part of the job, would be the lack of equipment for certain task ( using weed matters when clearly it was a lawnmowers task). No one should have to use a weed eater to cut down a whole field. The most enjoyable part would be obtaining all the knowledge I picked up and the people I was able to get to know.
Pros
Able to obtain CDL and more through the process of working
Cons
Not allowed to use GPS on phone to find locations better
Fun workplace
School Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Wilmington DeOctober 17, 2015
Learn of different ways to assist people across the street. Working special events during the season. Working as a team ,also meeting new people.
Steady flowing office, enjoy what I do and co-workers
Assistant City Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCAugust 1, 2015
Compiling information from paperwork and computer. Emails sending and receiving. Customer Service in office and on the phone. Enjoy co-workers. Being productive and meeting deadlines.
Benefits
Cons
Don't enjoy the work or my co-workers
Great place to gain experience
Administrative Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJuly 1, 2015
Although the company's business practices seem stoic and outdated, this is a great place to work if you need to gain professional experience or an understanding of government processes.
Very Busy
Human Resource Information Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 21, 2015
Typically handle Union Contracts at 8am until 12 Noon. Workers Compensation, Benefits, Hiring Practices, Payroll Issues, Posting Applications, Interviews, Handling Miscellaneous Issues such as meetings, conflicts, harassments, etc. until 5pm. Running with food in my mouth because I am unable to sit and eat lunch because there is always an issue or fire that needs burning out. Come home exhausted, within 20 minutes the tv ends up watching me. I learned that a reduce free stress job is the key to my happiness and enjoyment of life.
Pros
Busy
Cons
short breaks, pay, management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Wilmington. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2