Claflin University Employee Reviews

My Job
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCAugust 23, 2016
Atypical day at work consisted of assisting faculty and staff with any computer/printer issue that may come up. With this job, i learned about computer hardware and mobile troubleshooting as well as printer troubleshooting. My coworkers were great. there were no hardest or enjoyable parts of my job because i enjoyed everything about it. It was a good learning experience.
Enjoyed being a student worker
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCMay 23, 2016
The typical work day was great. I would come to work and answer phones, file papers,and help with the students need. I learned a lot about patience, time management, how to work the printer, fax,and scanners. My co-workers made my experience their awesome and helped me love the job. The hardest part of the job was when it would get backed up and the line would be out the door. Also, the phones would be ringing off the hook sometimes too. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I saw the smile on the face of the students that I helped.
A typical day at work
Student Assistant, Office of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCAugust 30, 2016
I often worked during my lunch breaks just to fit all my hours in that day. I had classes before lunch and after i got off so that became very stressful.
Pros
I met some really awesome co-workers
Cons
Did not eat like I was suppose to
Good school to pursue a degree
Office Manager - Office of the Provost (Current Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCDecember 1, 2016
Claflin university offers good programs of study for undergraduate, graduate students and adult learners. Claflin has a diverse faculty that speaks multiple languages.
Productive Work Place
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCApril 16, 2016
-Uses a personal computer and a variety of office software applications including word processing, email, and file management. Creates documents in Word or uses predefined templates and form letters. Creates or maintains files in Excel. May create PowerPoint presentations and use Access or other databases.
• Organize and File Documents
• Answer any calls
• File Bank statements
Pros
Family type of job environment
Cons
Paper work could sometimes get stressful
The interaction with students makes this job fun and rewarding.
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCApril 6, 2016
Excellent educational environment. Claflin University provides faculty with up to date instructional tools to ensure that faculty are able to deliver quality educational material and information. Each day with students one can expect to learn something new.
Pros
Salary is commensurate with surrounding Institution of Higher Learning.
Cons
Poor parking
Loved it!
MISS CLAFLIN UNIVERSITY (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCSeptember 4, 2016
Good staff, great work environment. Sometimes, the job can be a bit demanding because, of the type of tasks that need to be completed but, otherwise very good place to work!
Productive learning environment
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCMay 23, 2016
I loved be able to engage in a laboratory setting on my own campus and learned how to operate world class machinery. My mentor was very supportive and helpful but allowed me to quickly learn on my own.
Student Internship
Student (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCMay 14, 2016
My typical day as to organize and manage the intramural sports program at the university. Making sure we had a place to hold the event(s) and making sure every event started on time.
A typical day at work may include assisting a resident with seeing her Advisor regarding a course that needs to be changed to going to the hospital.
Resident Manager Manage over 100 employees. (Current Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCJanuary 6, 2016
I've learned a lot being employed at Claflin University working with the students in Residential Housing. I manage over 100 people, Coordinators, Residential Assistants, and Student Managers. The hardest part of the job is looking at a student contemplating suicide. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the students who think you're old and don't understand the various areas of social media.
Pros
Breakfast, lunch and dinner is provided daily free by the University.
Cons
Sometimes you can start lunch, and someting happens with a student you have to handle the issue at hand.
Productive and Networking environment
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCNovember 4, 2015
I was given the opportunity to interact with residents. I was responsible for creating a living environment that everyone could enjoy. The staff and the managers were helpful when it came down to administering excellent feedback. I assisted residents with daily necessities and kept the work area clean. I enjoyed every opportunity that was presented to me.
Pros
Flexible work hours, Assistance, and Leadership
Tough lessons and happy endings
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCSeptember 29, 2015
Over the summer I worked with my Biochemistry professor on studying the role of fragrances on the pathogenesis of autism using metabolic profiling. I had studied and read theories in Organic, and analytical Chemistry about NMR Spectroscopy, but I had never done a research that required data analysis using NMR. Two weeks to the end of my research, we got our NMR data and had to identify, and quantify all the metabolites in neuroblastoma cells using Chenomx Profiler Software. Although that took over a week, I was sulking throughout the week of data analysis and almost gave up because there were over 100 metabolites in neuroblastoma cell lines we used. That was my first research in metabolomics and diseases, but it was also my favorite because, I have never done anything and feel as good as I felt at the end of the research. I learned a lot of new things, read a lot of articles and actually realized had so much fun during our research.
Pros
free accomodation
Cons
short breaks, free meal
Outstanding Science Department
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCSeptember 21, 2015
Outstanding Science Department. Top notch faculty are in place to help facilitate the outstanding work that the students are able to accomplish.
Pros
Academically Driven
Cons
Not enough student activities
Productive and a good working place.
Department Of Public Safety/ Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCJuly 28, 2015
Good working staff on the campus. Respectable students. Very busy traffic flow. The most important part of my job is just showing up and servicing the people of the university.
Pros
Good working environment.
Cons
No advancement/ Promotion.
great school
Graduate Assistant Baseball Coach (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCOctober 30, 2015
top HBCU in the nation great athletic department and academics overall. great atmosphere and small classrooms that you get to know your professors
Claflin University is a good place to work.
Perkins Loan Counselor (Current Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCSeptember 30, 2013
I enjoy working with the students, parents and staff. The work is not hard it but it is steady. On a typical day I make phone calls to borrowers and receive phone calls. I learned that my day is what I allow it to be, so I set the pace for my day. I make a list of what I plan to accomplish daily and go for it. My most important thing is to treat others the way I would like to be treated and that is with the utmost respect, secondly, I learn to make it a habit to listen to what others are saying and always smile.
Pros
working with students and parents
Cons
communication is not the best
Customer focused University
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCSeptember 19, 2012
Th is a great family oriented place to work. The work day consist of helping students. I have learned how to work with others, new database training and program planning. The management is understanding and great to work for. Residential life has the best staff who are hard-working people who are on duty around the clock. The hardest part of my job is seeing students going through problems with school and family. The most enjoyable part is seeing students who I've helped graduate.
Very production and great set of people to work with.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCJanuary 22, 2013
A typical day of setting up a function an provide a wonderful display of food. How to decorate and greet customers upon arrival at the functions. management was efficient. I loved the people I worked with they were always helpful. The hardest part of the job was the last minute functions an having to rush to set them up. Meeting new customers that really enjoy my work an say thank you at the end of the day.
Pros
great insurance benefits
Cons
long work days
Typical Day
Associate Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCJune 10, 2013
A typical day at work would include filing, typing letters, greeting customers, sorting/distributing mail, answering the office telephones, sending memos, tracking schedules, opening and sending e-mails, etc. Being that I already know how to do all of these things, I would say that there wasn't anything new that I learned. Co-workers were pleasant; however, management made it difficult at times. The hardest part of my job was not being challenged.
Pros
Most co-workers were easy to work with.
Cons
Management were degrading to staff, low salaries and absolutely now room for professional growth.
Productive, Time-consuming
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCMay 27, 2014
The focus of my job was the safety and satisfaction of my residents. A typical day included dealing with roommate conflict, maintenance issues, and managing visitation procedures. My experience taught me patience and helped me to become more personable. I loved my co-workers. We had a great bond and worked as a team. The biggest challenge was balancing work and academics.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Claflin University. Our community is ready to answer.

Claflin University Reviews by Location