Clarins Employee Reviews

Excellent organization.
Director of Supply Chain & Logistics (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 18, 2016
First class organization!! Great products and fantastic people. Great benefits. Long hours at times but not outside the norm.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
None.
Beautiful Skincare
Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 4, 2016
A typical day at work is running behind customers asking them to try our skincare. The expectation is that you call your family and friends , customers basically go door to door or business to business and have an outsource event to sell Clarins skincare. Had to report hourly how many people you sat down, how many were new, what did they buy, average unit sale, items per transactions etc. Best part of the job making women happy and look beautiful. The hardest part of the job is chasing customers down to sit and watching those in charge run the business with do as I say not as I do attitude.
Pros
Allowance for Product/ Beautiful Skincare
Cons
Favortisim, several complaints on bosses favorite leading to high turnover
Looks can be deceiving
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2016
A typical work day is running behind customers trying to get them to sit down try products and buy. They say teamwork but you are not allowed to speak to collegues or anyone else in the store. If you are caught talking, someone will text message the Account Executive and you get reprimanded by a phone or text
Pros
Great Pay and Free Product
Cons
Do as I say not as I do, Anti comraderie, Favortism
fun enviorment
Cosmetic Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 4, 2016
working in department stores doing customer service, sales, make-up and skin care main focus for clients. also inventory, training new staff on new improved selling techniques.
Pros
tree training and schooling
Cons
high turn over rate
Great place and great company
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  SwitzerlandAugust 8, 2016
. Great company for those who likes to get great commission. its hard to grow but at list you can try...They always respected me and telling how great job i was doing. As a ci
Pros
free products, Great commission
Cons
No chanse to grow if you don't know French
Great products
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  CAOctober 5, 2016
Great techniques and product line. The company does a lot of research on the products it puts out. Company has a lot of loyal customers all over the world.
high demanding work environment with very little growth
ACCOUNT DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 27, 2012
This is a retail job, you will be on your feet most of the time and will not get the respect you deserve from the doors you go to. The company does not care about your opinions, so if you are looking for growth this is not the position you want to get into. Also work can become very demotivating when you work with people who are only out to get customers' money, and not truly listen to what customers' needs are. It's a shame that the culture has come to this! Please hire articulate individuals who represent the brand better!

Some co-workers are excellent to work with, but majority are very dishonest and gossipy. Overall, most of my co-workers are not happy with this position.
Pros
benefits/401k, great products
Cons
bad management, dishonest employees, no growth
ACCOUNT DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST no advancement
MARKET ADS (Former Employee) –  NYC, NJJanuary 16, 2013
Company has decent products, basically the French cousin to Estee Lauder. Very corporate and lots of politics, this requires lots of brown nosing! Def not a strategic move if you are trying to climb the corporate ladder, this is a position that is constantly open because it is basically a glorified freelancer as well as cpunter help. The hiring manager sells it as a coordinator role, IT IS NOT. They give you a bunch of junk to haul around because you are a real life selling puppet.
Pros
benefits day 1
Cons
no work/life balance, travel outside of territory you are hired for, no bonus but event goals must be met, no initial training until convenient for them.
Clarins
Counter Manager/Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Midland, MIAugust 11, 2016
Clarins is a wonderful company to work for. I enjoy empowering women to look and feel beautiful no matter what their age.
Fast and dynamic working environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cabazon, CAApril 7, 2016
. Commission based to meet monthly goal
. Provide customer services
. Provide professional knowledge on products to customers
enjoyed making new friends and great pay
Freelance Fragrance Consultant (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 21, 2016
learned about product quality and company goals and expectations. had a wonderful Christmas party at my managers home and had a great time making awesome friends.
Pros
pay and work atmosphere
Cons
on-call
Lack of training, communicaiton and overall professionalism.
CSR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2015
I can only speak for the Chicago market and the payroll department at the corporate office. This was most certainty the worst professional experience I've had due to lack of leadership, training and communication from Account Executive and her direct supervisor. There were some bizarre hiring decisions made that negatively affected the team and the overall moral. New hire paperwork was never put through leading to employees not getting paid for one month (or more in some cases). Payroll was not helpful or proactive in getting employees paid once this was presented to them and refused to overnight paychecks despite the many request and urgency of situation.

There were many promises made for new hire training but essentially associates were simply thrown in and asked "to wing it" because it wasn't rocket science. There were no product manuals or price list provided and none available at the counters to review prior to speaking with clients. When executives came to the locations they seemed to just gather in groups to chat but provided no training or guidance. All of their conversations with the team were centered around "sale, sale, sale" and goals were constantly at the forefront. I'm a firm believer in lead by example and felt the executives rarely, if ever assisted with the overall sales or success of their respective teams. Even the national trainer stood around and seemed to just gossip about the sales team rather than get his hands dirty and allow us to observe his "amazing sales techniques" or application style. In my previous positions the executives and trainers
  more... were considered the rock stars when they visited the locations, and truly mentored the team by getting on the floor themselves and producing. I'm certain the executives have a lot of corporate reports and responsibilities to deal with but ultimately the company can not flourish without education and ultimately sales.

The communication was almost non existent and there was always blame placed on the executives that were previously terminated. And the worst part was the highly aggressive recruiting tactics that were expected which were openly mocked by the other counters as well as potential clients. I unfortunately witnessed shoppers getting followed and harassed after stating "not interested" numerous times which gives the overall appearance of desperation for the brand. Surely a company of this caliber can devise a sales and marketing strategy that doesn't solely rely on badgering shoppers while they are in the location.
Pros
Descent compensation and benefits, generous gratis
Cons
Everything I mentioned in the above review
There are better beauty companies out there
Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2015
Not what it used to be.
Management has changed - so have the people.
No work life balance. Everyone wears multiple hats.
Not a beautiful place.
Acct Development Specialist
Account Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  FLJune 18, 2013
Acct Execs rely heavily on ADS for doing their job... My old AE never stepped foot into a store except when she had to meet the higher ups.... The rest of the time, her fleet of ADSs would scatter in a frenzy whereever the market was failing...Like Mighty Mouse...to save the day.... Expectation far exceeds the experience.... And is definitely not a GLAM job by any means. Clarins USA is failing miserably in its attempt to conduct business in the same light as Jacques Courtin Clarins' vision. Management and corporate create a very defeatist attitude on the front line. They create an impossible numbers game along with daily edits to scheduling. For goodness sake, don't give them any ideas or feedback!!!
productive work place
Retai Sales Cordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 11, 2015
I enjoyed working for Clarins USA because the people were nice and i enjoyed inter-mingling with different people. The management worked with us and made sure we had whatever we needed.The hardest part of this job was to make sure i made my goal.The most enjoyable part was producing high sales.
Pros
we had lunch breaks and were taken out on occasion.
Cons
being that we were part time we had a 20 minute break
I like the products and the clients are awesome!
Product Manager Per Diem (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2012
I believe that there should be potential to grow with the company as you consistently create sales, as I did. However, this company did not allow a chance for stability. I enjoyed the clientele and also the organic products used in some of their product ingredients. The hardest part of the job is when the retail doors don't book enough appointments. I learned that you have keep yourself progressing because the leadership does not give you a chance to work and prove yourself and also, your schedule may change at the very last minute so you can not depend on any set schedule.
Pros
travel, meet people, work with great products, different retailers offer product
Cons
counter managers eccentric, unclean counters, foundation not available for every complexion, unstable schedule, schedule may change at the last minute.
dropped me like a hot potato
Trainer/Educator/Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Southeastern MassJanuary 8, 2013
I earned them A LOT of money, created a program event that was actually used INTERNATIONALLY-and literally-my position was changed-they put me through the charade of an interview-and all the while had someone else already hired. I went to work every day with a smile on my face, and was treated VERY poorly. BAD company to work for.
Cons
bad managers and horrific job with managing events, time management and utilizing talents that they had in their people.
Overall summary
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Brea, CANovember 22, 2012
Clarins is a dying breed. Great products, but packaging and advertising is horrible. Really wonderful products and research. American know nothing about how great this line is. Too bad they will not step into this century because they could be number one!
The economy may take this line down. But in Europe this line is number one. All the products are great. Esp the body products. They really work! Make up is not one of their strengths. Americans prefer to cover their problem skin. European women take care of their skin and are happy to show it off with less make up. They need a great commercial or celebrity to shoot this line to the top.
Pros
free cosmetics, great training, great products!
Cons
luxury lines are almost impossible to sell. too many returns.
Great product...unrealistic goals
Account Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 1, 2013
The product is one of my all time favorites and I loved being a rep for them. But, the goals set in place by management who never worked this market are impossible to reach. The constant feeling of failure was to much to take. The was not much guidence or new ideas from above when the same old techniques did not work. However, love and belief in the product kept me there and trying to push thru.
Model/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 28, 2015
Fast-paced workplace, good for individuals interested in sales. The hours are fine, work schedule is not so definite. My boss had given me random dates to work as well as switched up my dates sometimes. However, the communication was excellent and my boss always kept in touch.
Cons
No lunch break, work completely alone

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clarins. Our community is ready to answer.