Clarion Psychiatric Center

Clarion Psychiatric Center Employer Reviews

Productive work environment
Driver/Transportation (Current Employee), Clarion, PANovember 30, 2013
A great place to work if you want to feel like a part of a family rather than just another employee. Great staff and supervisory team. Daily work with clients from children to senior citizens who have psychiatric issues that need understanding and patience. Is a rewarding career if you want to work with a team of upbeat team members.
Productive caring enviroment
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee), Clarion, PANovember 29, 2013
Pros: teem work
Cons: short breaks
Helping a wide range of clients from ages 5 and up learn more about their mental status and how they can treat themselves and discover positive coping skills and appropriate medications to better themeselves. Also providing regular group actiivties and learning experiences for all to increase adapting skills to function in society .
Lacks morals, ethics, and professionalism
Would be LPN (Former Employee), Clarion, PASeptember 9, 2013
Cons: management's handling of post interview
Interview seemed to go extremely well. I traveled about 1 1/2 hours because of my passion and dedication to psych. Then I got there and waited an hour due to another interview running over, which was no biggie, as the interviewer was apologetic. What upset me was I excel in psych and was a good fit for the job, and she had nothing but nice things to – more... say during the interview. But, as so many companies do, they never call when promised. I kept calling to inquire before accepting another offer, and finally get a denial letter, without a reason why. Just stating they were looking at other candidates. They apparently don't need nurses that bad, as the position is still open. So, I surmise one of two things: either they didn't like something in my background, which I was upfront about or one of their sister facilities bad-mouthed me, which I was also upfront about. In the first case, they should realize people make mistakes. This is mental health, all about giving people second chances. And in the second case, their sister facility is notorious for bad reviews and state sanctions. They never even called my references to truly check on what kind of person I was before turning me down. Shame on you, Clarion! Shame on you for having a preconceived notion of who I was, then for lying and saying you'd get back to me about your decision. Well, you did, but I had to hound you for it. We are expected to be professional and I don't think it's much to ask for facilities to do the same. It worked out for the best though. I got a job with a better company, I'm sure, making probably better money. And Clarion, well they missed the opportunity to have a great psych nurse! – less
Not a good place to work
MHT (Former Employee), ClarionJuly 24, 2013
Cons: sub-par mangement
I agree with above, too many management clicks. Most managers are very lazy.
A LOT of work for peanuts.
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee), Clarion, PAFebruary 26, 2012
Pros: you work with good people.
Cons: favoritism, lack of job security
As long as they like you, you are treated well. There is a lot of favoritism and don't plan on any job security. If they don't like you, they will watch you on camera until they have a reason to fire you.
The benefits are decent, but expensive. Don't expect fair compensation.

June 26, 2012

I would agree with the above , I observed the same treatment of some staff. Also,the mentality of there's the door...the importance of retaining an employee not here.. staffing levels were poor, there wasn't any security, state police were called for out of hand patients, mostly occurring on weekends or other than 7-3 weekday shifts because ancillary staff wasn't available for codes ..ie large males, if the majority of mental health facilities were/are run this way I would want my loved one to seek needed care through other means if at all possible. I learned alot about the care of the mentally ill and boarderline personalities, drug and alcohol issues and the importance of boosting the census...ie find ways to admit the patient, the company encourages the ARC dept and others to do this, they don't prepare you well for being on your own ie., 10 days or less of on the floor training when in acute care hospitals you get a minimum of 6 weeks, the difference in wanting an employee to be prepared for the job, very quick to condem the employees on the front line not train them for what they are about to encounter in their new job

Great Learning experience
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee), Clarion, PAJanuary 5, 2012
I was employed at Clarion Psychiatric Center from 1990-1997, It was a great experience and I was able to develop and fine tune my interpersonal skills as well as learn various treatment modalities. I also attended nursing school while working there - the experience gained is a definite asset.