Clark County School District Teaching Jobs Employee Reviews in United States

fun place to work
System Admin (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 4, 2016
great place to work and good benefits. no raises though.

very laid back and sedantary work as long as you avoid office politics you should be fine.
Special Education was very challenging. I learned to be compassionate.
Special Education Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 23, 2015
Working with special education children is very challenging. You come up with different skills to teach a child according to the level that they can learn. I learned to be very compassionate, but firm. I learn to be very creative. I worked in a multicultural environment. I had different principals over the years. Everyone of them was exceptional to work with along the exceptional teaching staff. I attended school for free in this school system. Always room for advancement, depends on how far you are willing to climb that ladder.
Pros
Attended school for free, great benefit package, union
Cons
Freeze in salary no raises at certain times
I work with nice people
Receptionist/ Counselors Secretary (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVDecember 27, 2015
I'm obviously not happy working for this company, that's why I'm looking to leave the school district. I haven't received a raise in several years, however, they have no problem taking money from us and raising our health insurance costs. In the 7 years I've worked for CCSD, I think I have received maybe $.05-$.20 in raises.
Pros
the vacation and sick time is great
Cons
pretty much everything else.
The reasons I love woking in special education
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  NevadaMay 9, 2016
It is absolutely amazing for me to see students actually enjoy learning. That is what typically happens each day at work.
I learned how important it is for individuals to learn life skills, responsibility, social skills, and academics.
I have had the opportunity to work with, and to be supervised by some of the most amazing people I have ever met.

The hardest part of my job, in my opinion, would be working with emotionally challenged individuals.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to see a student feel good about themselves, in what they have learned. That is very rewarding!
Pros
sometimes I can eat when the students have their lunch.
Cons
To deal with angry students, and anti- social behaviors
Very productive to see children with their education development
Instructional Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 14, 2016
I had learned working in a classroom setting for the School District is a new methods of teaching to students.
To work in a classroom setting is a team work with collegues, teacher and administrators providing education support and different strategies to help students to achieve their potential.
The hardest part of my job was not able to help students with their educational development because other factors outside of the school affecting their life.
The most enjoyable part of my work is to see students accomplished their learning with good grades and I was able to help them.
Pros
curriculums
Cons
Too many students in the classroom
Rewarding place to work
Guest Teacher (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 14, 2016
Challenging but very rewarding job. Other teachers are very helpful in assisting you getting through the day. Management is definitely different depending on what schools you go to, as well as the kids. The pay should be more based on what classes you are teaching, as some are definitely tougher than others.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Stable work environment
GIS Transportation Technician II (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 9, 2016
CCSD has a stable work environment and a very flexible work schedule. The benefits have gotten worse and there is currently a pay freeze due to a deficit in the budget. Overall not a bad place to work but you can definitely get stuck in a rut.
Productive and Fun to work at!!!
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 24, 2016
I am a teacher. First period is at 6:50am which is too early for me. I learned that no matter how early I am to work, I never get things done.
I enjoyed managing students because they know whatever I say feels more right. They are a handful everyday. I go to work daily not expecting what the day will be like.
The hardest part of my job is planning too much for the day. I regret not getting through the lesson plan.
Most enjoyable part of the job… when the students do understand what you're saying by the end of a lesson.
Pros
Prep period besides lunch. We only work 6-7 hours a day.
Cons
Correct papers and writing lesson plans
Not working here any longer.
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 6, 2016
I worked at Vegas PBS Workforce and at the beginning they make you feel like it is a happy environment to work at. Then when you have been there for months their attitude changes and they don't care. They don't listen to you when you make a complaint it gets reversed on you and then you lose your job. They don't follow CCSD code of conduct, they make their own. If you lose a family member during your probation don't expect to be let go to the funeral because they don't care. Would hope HR would follow up on complaints made to the supervisor to see if the Manager follows up on complaint.
Pros
A Job
Cons
Manager
Severall opportunities to deal with a variety of issues and personalities.
Principal, Matt Kelly Elementary School (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 24, 2016
As a Principal your day starts early with attention to emails and staff who are not reporting to work and securing substitutes that are qualified to meet the challenges students present when their teachers do not report to work. Scheduled meeting outside the building require ample coverage of the building by capable and reliable staff. Checking during absences from the building to attend workshops and district meetings is on-going. Meeting the educational needs of students and parent concerns is continuous. Your day never really ends as you are always thinking of ways to solve concerns that will be accepted and mutually beneficial for all parties.
Pros
Attending workshops with staff and teaching in classrooms.
Cons
24 hours is not enough to get everything accomplished.
Love The Kids!!!
Choir Teacher (Current Employee) –  Las VegasSeptember 27, 2015
I absolutely LOVED teaching the students of CCSD. Unfortunately, the school district does not treat its employees, especially its teachers, very well.

They promised a certain level of pay for education and took it away...many teachers spent thousands of dollars to further their education in order to move to the next step of the pay scale, only to be told the district did not have the funds to pay them. However, the district did find money to grant new teachers $5,000 in signing bonuses and billions of dollars to build new schools.

And then the health benefits...the teachers, support staff, and administration all have different benefits. The Teachers Health Trust was dissolved by the school district and now we are forced into an HMO disguised as a Home Health Model.

Again, teaching is my passion, and I held out for 18 years. But I finally decided that my family and I do not deserve to be treated this way :-(
Pros
The students!!!
Cons
The school board
Avoid unless last resort
Substitute/ Vacancy Teacher / Athletic Coach (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 21, 2015
While CCSD can be a very self rewarding job, in addition to having a comfortable work environment, it is not a place where someone who is concerned with job security would want to be employed; unless you are a contract teacher you are an "at will employee" and administration will not let you forget it. Also, depending on your administration CCSD is not a place for someone who looks to grow within a company, it's all based on relationships and if you are Not a "yes sir/ yes mam" individual, you will not succeed; and will be forced out one way or another. CCSD Human Resource Department and most school administration are incompetent in effectively doing their jobs.
Pros
reward of helping children acheiving their educational goals
Cons
"At will" employment, Terrible School Administration and Human Resouces
Lots of red tape
Special Education Administrator (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 13, 2015
Very difficult to work for. Lots of red tape and politics. Lots of hoops to get things accomplished. Not able to retain teachers. Large number of long term subs and student ratio to high.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
Long hours and revolving door of long term subs
productive and fun
Nevada (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVDecember 22, 2015
a typical day at work is face- paced and sometimes really busy, i learned how to multitask way better , management is very good my coworkers are pretty cool and have good hospitality , the most enjoyable part of the job is everything
Student facilitator, lesson planner, and classroom manager.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 5, 2015
It was a fantastic team environment paired with the fulfillment of realizing you are engaging students to take on the challenge of becoming a life-long learner. Harsh realities regarding union and federal clashes involving methodologies, expectations, and students' needs were challenging, but they were able to be overcome by ensuring positive outcomes were still attainable with careful planning, collaboration, and dedication.
Pros
Challenging and rewarding
Productive and Well Put Together School
Assisted class room teacher (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 24, 2016
I was a volunteer at CCSD's Betsy Rhodes Elementary School. It is a very nice well rounded and organized school. The staff is quite amazing as well as the students. The principle is very knowledgeable and an even harder worker. The teachers strive to give the students the best education they are able to provide for the students and then some. The overall atmosphere of the school is quite pleasant and a very nice experience.
Large organization with 357 schools
Library Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 9, 2016
Clark County School District is the 5th largest school district in the nation, with over 320,000 students. Each school has its own culture, depending upon the administrators, neighborhood, and the school mission.
Pros
PERS (Public Employees' Retirement System), decent pay and benefits
Cons
Nevada is a Right to Work state
Enjoyed the children
Substitute/Guest Teacher (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 25, 2016
Working with children is the reason I went to college to get my degree. If I changed the life of one child while working for CCSD then I did my job. Teaching those students was the light in my day, watching them while they listened to every word I said was precious. When they took tests and did well, I knew I was doing what I was suppose to do.
Pros
The children
Cons
Jumping from one school to another
Where schools are like family
Middle school educator, math department co-chair (Former Employee) –  Dell H RobisonMarch 7, 2016
CCSD was not always an easy environment, especially at a high needs, low income school. This was balanced with staff that were like family. Teaching here was a pleasure. Administrators were always available, and wanted to hear about new innovative ideas. We were allowed the freedom to do what was best for our students.
Nice company to work for most of the time
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 24, 2016
Nice place to work, except for the 9 month work schedule. I really enjoy working with the youth. I did enjoy being off holidays and the weekend with my family.
Pros
early work day
Cons
9 month work schedule