Clark County School District Teaching Jobs

Clark County School District Teaching Jobs Employer Reviews

A very political stressful environment
Elementary Classroom Teacher (Current Employee), Moapa NevadaOctober 12, 2014
Teach 3rd grade all subjects to all students. The US is under a great deal of pressure to standardize education. The teach profession is being beat up and teachers do not get paid enough for what they do.
The life of a substitute teacher in Las Vegas
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Henderson, NVOctober 6, 2014
Pros: prep periods, job flexibility, mandatory lunches, teacher duty
Cons: kids act bad when there is a sub, work hours are not guaranteed, you can be replaced anytime, the pay is not great.
As a substitute teacher you set the days you want to work by looking up available jobs utilizing smartfind express, which post all the different positions available to substitute teach. The work day is irregular because schools have set different start and end times. Co-workers aren't always the friendliest, it just depends on were you work that day. The hardest part is classroom management because the kids respond usually negatively to a substitute teacher. The most enjoyable part of the job is the kids giving you positive feedback and the enjoyment you give them teaching them a new lesson.
Nice place to work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVOctober 2, 2014
I enjoy working with the students. Nice working hours. Office workers are very nice and respectful.
Fantastic District
Licensed Teacher (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVOctober 1, 2014
Pros: duty free lunch
I can't say enough positive things about this district. Plenty of staff development free to any teacher who wants to improve their skills. Common planning time. Autonomy in your teaching so you're not always feeling micromanaged. Good starting salary with plenty of room to move up the salary ladder.
Rewarding job, unfair compensation
Long-Term Substitute (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: rewarding
Cons: compensation, high-stress environment, unsupportive administration
As a long-term substitute, I had the same expectations and duties as contracted teachers without the pay and benefits. I consistently worked well past contract time and spent my weekends grading papers and lesson planning. I also had to buy supplies for my own classroom after the teacher who was there before I was up and left mid-year, taking everything. Administrators provided little support to teachers and kept consistently disruptive students in the classroom who should have been removed and placed in an alternative environment. Administration seemed more concerned about appearances, in other words, test scores, than students' and teachers' well being. And don't even get me started on the proficiency exams. Students were so stressed and upset over these exams. A few were in tears on exam day. I'm all for assessing students, but this level of high-stakes assessment is just ridiculous. The majority of my students read well below grade level, yet I was expected to teach them at high school level. Overall, it was a frustrating job. The only thing I truly loved about it was my students. They were fantastic.

I have been a short-term sub as well, and the flexibility is great. The pay is okay. If the teacher you sub for has an Early Bird class or no prep, you don't get paid extra. A 5.5-hour assignment and an 8-hour assignment can have the same pay, depending on the school. Also, more schools should be paying their subs at the higher ($110) daily rate because the amount of work warrants it.
SPTA
SPTA (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: great people.
Cons: short breaks
I work with Moderate to Severe Autism children in a self-contained classroom. A typical day at work would be: Getting the children off the buses in the morning. Taking them to Class and seating them to table activities. Doing Potty training, after that cleaning up. The children go to circle time and sing songs. When finished the children go to centers and work. After they are done take them to recess to play, have them line up to go inside to wash hands and get ready for lunch. The children eat, bring them back to the classroom,again potty training. All the children go to library to read books. Then go to ipad time. Free art time fro the children. Go outside to play. Come back in to wash hands and have snack. The children clean up and go do free time centers. Clean up centers and go to closing circle. Get the kids ready to go home and on the buses. After that clean up the classroom. I have learned a lot about working with autism children and their behavior. The Management is wonderful and my co-workers are great.The hardest part about my job is to meet the children behavior. I enjoy working with the children. It brings me joy to see them learn more and more. Its a great feeling.
productive
Special Needs Bus Driver (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: always extra work
Cons: healthcare
I transported special need students to and from school. i learned different special conditions each child lived with and the techniques to keep each child safe. Management played a great part in each employees day as far as helping to ensure the children were safely transported according to policies. Co workers also played a big part in emergencies they step in and cover for you. The hardest part of the job was when a driver was involved in an accident that resulted in fatality. The most enjoyable for me was completing my assignment by successfully and safely getting the children to their final destination.
OK Job
Claims Manager -Risk Management (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: nice work environment, excellent direct supervisor
Cons: extremely bad top administration in this department
I enjoy working with my co workers and direct supervisor very much. I have learned how to do many jobs in this department and learned how to be resilient due to constant shifting of employee job duties. The enjoyable part of my job is the ability to learn new things on a daily basis.
live stock
Heavy Truck Driver (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 28, 2014
Pros: paid decent
Cons: smell
wasn't the most enjoyable loading hogs then delivering them
I am able to meet a diverse of different children everyday
Food Service Worker (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 26, 2014
Seeing what our children do at school each and everyday. Able to help them further their education
A District that Fails
Secondary English/Reading Instructor (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 24, 2014
The Clark County School District consistently ranks at or near the bottom of all 50 states because it fails to educate and graduate its students. The District should be completely overhauled to eliminate unnecessary managerial positions and salaries, diversify administrative staff, enhance student opportunities for success, and allow teachers the freedom and respect to teach children without overbearing, demeaning, and unproductive micromanagement.
A very forward thinking school district focused on students
Certified Teacher (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 23, 2014
Excellent teacher/administration collaboration toward optimum student learning. Great communication with and involvement of parents in the education process.
enjoyed serving children
Food Prep Worker (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 20, 2014
this job was a pleasure only because I liked to serve students and make their day.
Leaves much to be desired
Educator (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 18, 2014
Pros: summers off, holidays, and winter/spring break.
Cons: teargas, frequent student fights, lots of time away from home.
Very little work/home life balance. Can be potentially dangerous. Campus police used teargas on students last year and many were injured. Many teachers were affected as well. 10-12 hour days are the norm. If not for having summers off, I would say the compensation is comparatively lacking. Co-workers are very distant and keep to themselves. If you like to have fun at what you do - this is not the place to work.
Very rewarding working with teens
Subject Matter Expert (SME) - Health Education (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 7, 2014
I taught 8th and 9th grade Health in Las Vegas, NV for 8 years prior to relocating back to Southern California. Teaching teens about Health was very rewarding and I will miss all of my students.
Teachers hands are tied as to what they can do to enhance the students learning.
Mom's Helper (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 6, 2014
Pros: learned to help students with their needs, got to help the teachers, learned something new, got along with all my co-workers
Cons: there were no breaks, healthcare, job lasted only a few weeks
I was in and out of different level classrooms helping teachers in whatever capacity I was needed. Sometimes it was to help students with their sight words, help the none or almost none speaking English students with their words. Ran copies, stapled lessons and test together for the coming week. Helped students with their classroom work.

I learned to handle children on a one to one basis which is sorely needed as the teachers have their hands full. I learned about the lunchroom do's and don'ts. Learned to take my time with each and every student that needed the additional help to overcome their shyness or being pushed around.

Management was a smooth flowing one. Most teachers got along and the staff was very helpful. The Principal at the time I was at that school was very accommodating and helpful to a new inexperienced support staff member.

The hardest part of the job was not being able to help the students more than what I was required as I could see that some of them were having difficulties in learning. The teachers need all the extra help and volunteering a parent/grandparent can give.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that most teachers were very easy to get along with and helpful. They taught me how to interact with the students, how to know when one was just wanting attention and when one was in need of help. I got to see my grandchildren at lunch time. Got to see them interact with their classmates without them thinking I was there for any other reason than my job.
professional development needed
Online Instructor (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 1, 2014
Pros: decent healthcare benefits
Cons: unsupportive, hostile work environment
Clark County School District is very "top heavy" in terms of administration and management. Classroom teachers are under excruciating stress and anxiety to ensure that students perform to unrealistic levels of competence. They do not receive the appropriate supports, training or tools to implement everything that is expected of them. Staff morale is at a all-time low with further demands and duties being placed upon teachers' already overwhelming job responsibilities.
fun environment
Specialized Program Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Las VegasAugust 1, 2014
Pros: there is alway an opporunity to move up
Cons: health care
I really like this employment, there is always and advancement to move up.
I did not teach in a classroom setting here.
Campus Security Monitor (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 28, 2014
I am not able to make a comment on teaching there, considering the fact that I was a Campus Security Monitor. I taught Manners, Discipline, and Respect.
Great work place
Library Aide (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 27, 2014
Pros: smiling faces
I worked a 4 hour day. Fast paced. Really enjoyed seeing the expressions on the kids face when they received new books.

Clark County School District Teaching Jobs Photos