Clarksville-Montgomery County School System Employee Reviews

Good
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNApril 27, 2017
Great school system to work for. Great benefits. Highly recommend for single parents. The schedule is ideal for single parents. CMCSS provides good education.
It's Substitute Teaching
Substitute Instructor (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNApril 11, 2017
While the substitute program and schools were fine, the work was not reliable in terms of what I would walk into each day or if I would walk into a place each day.
Teaching is a very rewarding yet stressful job!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMarch 21, 2017
Teaching in Montgomery county is very face paced and busy! Teaching is rewarding when you see progress with students and you see them become successful! There are many long hours involved! You must be very dedicated to be a good teacher! I have many students come to me years later to thank me and I find joy in that!
Pros
Benefits are excellent!
Cons
Very long hours with few breaks! Difficult to take a bathroom break!
i enjoy working as a custodial worker because I love to clean
Custodian Worker (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 25, 2016
I really think the Clarksville Montgomery School System is a great place to work and the benefit are great I dust cut grass weed eat buff wax interact with children and staff and many more etc...
Pros
I love to clean and work with positive and respectful people
Cons
disrespectfulness
Great workplace with awesome kids and co-workers
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNApril 8, 2016
Assist students in individual and classroom instruction; Prepare instructional materials and modify materials to fit student needs as necessary; Conduct small group intervention sessions; Set-up and facilitate individual workstations; Consult and assist teachers in inclusion settings; Collaborate with teachers and associates in developing academic plans; Escort students and monitor activity in all settings; Provide student sign-in/out services and classroom location support; Conduct after-school tutoring support services;
Provide copying, filings and office related assistance
Education - fast paced, challenging and worthwhile
Career and Technical Education Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TN 37040March 29, 2016
There is no typical day at work so if you enjoy facing different types of work each day, this is the place to be. The people employed here are the best! I cannot say enough about the kindness and generosity of those I work along side. Strong leaders solving day to day issues and working for the future. The hardest part of the job is simply managing the workload as it can be be overwhelming but we you realize it is all for our students, it is worth it. The most enjoyable part of the job is connecting with the community and building relationships.
Pros
Benfits are outstanding.
Cons
Amount of work can be overwhelming.
A great place to work
Lead Custodian (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNOctober 2, 2015
A typical day at work would be serving breakfast and lunch to all the smiling faces and keeping the facilities clean for everyone to enjoy a friendly and enjoyable atmospere.
Pros
Free lunch, friendly faculty & staff
Cons
Sick babies
Good place to learn how to use warehouse equipment.
Warehouse/Processing Associate (Former Employee) –  clarksville, tnFebruary 15, 2015
An ok place to work if you do not have any plans on advancing forward in life. It is also a full time position which makes it a plus.
Great Benefits
Licensed Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNOctober 16, 2014
The system has a large package of benefits that are available to you almost immediately. HR does a great job of keeping you informed about benefit options and changes.
Pros
Working in a school in my community
Cons
Making a transfer can be difficult if you choose to move to a different school in the county
Horrible Experience
Mathematics Teacher (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNAugust 9, 2013
I wish I never accepted this job. I came in during the school year, mistake number one. I took over a classroom that already had a bad reputation, mistake number two. I contacted the human resources department to file a complaint on the prinicpal, mistake number three. My students had it easy thier first semester, so when I came in, demanding they do some real work, they revolted. I had a 70% failure rate. This was mainly due to the fact that my students refused to do the work. I tried calling parents, asking for help from the vice-principals and other teachers. No one could lend a helping hand. I tried being mean, tried being nice. Nothing worked. On parent-teacher conference day, I had six parents show up. I taught five periods of 30 or more students, and only 6 parents come to visit with me? This was a bad experience for me. I never knew students could be so heartless. I had threatening letters, one student flicked a rubber band at me (left a bruise on my arm), and no one did anything to help me. The principal kept telling me "What can you do that you are not already doing?" My asnwer was the same, "I'm not doing the work for them." After 2 months, the prinipal called me into his office and gave me a choice. Either I resign from my position or he makes sure I never teach again by putting my name on something he called "The Black List". I resigned. (This is what I contacted human resources about, not knowing the head of the department was friends with the principal.) I stayed on for the remaining 3 months, finished out the semester. During my time at  more... this particular school, I learned the principal cared about one thing and one thing only: the graduation rate. I cared about somehting different: the students' ability to learn. The prinicpal was in charge of the school with the highest drop out rate and lowest graduation rate and he wanted these numbers to be reversed. I was not helping. Salary was $1900 per month.  less
Pros
gained experience
Cons
many
Extremely satisfying
Biology Teacher (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 12, 2013
Great principal/leadership

Encouraging, upbeat environment

The most satisfying experiences were observing student improvements in pride, accomplishments, and expectations of self
Pros
Students
Long hours, excessive paperwork, micromanaged
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 30, 2013
Expectations are extreme, evaluation rubric is subjective and unfair, hours are excessive, teachers are micromanaged, belittled, and are not treated as professionals.

Comment – April 16, 2015

This district is horrible to their employees. I graduated at the top of my class in Michigan and came highly recommended when hired by CMCSS. Within 3 years, my passion for teaching was destroyed by a heartless principal and cold administration. EDI was rammed down our throats, and discovery based learning was thrown out the window. When I tried to implement successful teaching strategies, such as Literature Circles, my principal (who had no idea what a literature circle was) told me that I was lazy and didn't know how to teach. All I heard was how CMCSS was a "data driven district," and yet there was NO data to support the outdated rote learning exercises that I was forced to subject my students to. I was selected, by the district, as the Green Apple and received a standing ovation for the speech I gave. The Director came to my table and shook my hand, telling me what an asset I was to the district and how much he appreciated my service. Five days later, he signed off on my principal's request to not renew my contract. When I emailed him in disbelief, he did not reply. The teacher's union told me that I would still get my professional license, but that was not true. The principal determines if she feels you are worthy or not, and the state does not question it. Don't come here. They will destroy everything you love about your profession. I was offered two teaching positions in different counties when the school year ended, but after enduring a 3 year nightmare, I left the profession I loved.

Administrative Assistant - Transportation Dept (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNOctober 19, 2012
Answered incoming calls (8 lines), handled complaints, filing, great place to work and co-workers were easy to get along with.
You DO NOT want to drive a school bus w/ CMCSS
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TennesseeSeptember 24, 2012
The leadership team for this department is extremely unorganized and have NO idea what or how to run a department to include boosting employee morale,etc. Most people think that driving a large vehicle or managing others children would be the hardest part of the job when actually its the co-workers, management team... A typical work day is to get up, go to work, pre-trip your bus to prepare for your route then get switched to someone else's route that you are completely unfamiliar with daily, and monthly and when its finally time to return to your route either the kids don't know you or they have gotten completely out of control needing to be re-trained. The management team purposely looks for ways to write you up to eventually end employment. For all that goes into getting the children to and from school safely the pay SUCKS!!!! Bus drivers and Aides are technically considered part time personnel w/full time benefits, but pay the most in medical insurance. Bus drivers are generally paid 5 hours per day w/some being 6 if you drive (pre-K). Bus drivers and aides are NOT paid for all the off days that are associated with a school year to include SUMMERS thus making taking care of your family financially extremely difficult. This is NOT a job for those with families to support, or anyone wishing to maintain sanity!!!
Pros
employment in a weak economy
Cons
messy management, broke down buses, awful pay and benefits, under-staffed due to treatment of personnel.
Extremely High Stress Area working with children of the ages of 15-20
❸ Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNSeptember 16, 2012
Teaching has its disadvantages. Most people get into the job because they like to teach but get out of the job because they don't get to spend enough time teaching.
Pros
summers off
Cons
large class sizes
Challenging position teaching 7th grade students
Language Arts Teacher (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJune 8, 2012
*Worked from 6am until 11pm
*Challeing behavior from students
*Difficult managing all the job requirements