Clarksville-Montgomery County School System Employee Reviews

Great Benefits
Licensed Classroom Teacher (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNOctober 16, 2014
Pros: working in a school in my community
Cons: making a transfer can be difficult if you choose to move to a different school in the county
The system has a large package of benefits that are available to you almost immediately. HR does a great job of keeping you informed about benefit options and changes.
Horrible Experience
Mathematics Teacher (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNAugust 9, 2013
Pros: gained experience
Cons: many
I wish I never accepted this job. I came in during the school year, mistake number one. I took over a classroom that already had a bad reputation, mistake number two. I contacted the human resources department to file a complaint on the prinicpal, mistake number three. My students had it easy thier first semester, so when I came in, demanding they do some real work, they revolted. I had a 70% failure rate. This was mainly due to the fact that my students refused to do the work. I tried calling parents, asking for help from the vice-principals and other teachers. No one could lend a helping hand. I tried being mean, tried being nice. Nothing worked. On parent-teacher conference day, I had six parents show up. I taught five periods of 30 or more students, and only 6 parents come to visit with me? This was a bad experience for me. I never knew students could be so heartless. I had threatening letters, one student flicked a rubber band at me (left a bruise on my arm), and no one did anything to help me. The principal kept telling me "What can you do that you are not already doing?" My asnwer was the same, "I'm not doing the work for them." After 2 months, the prinipal called me into his office and gave me a choice. Either I resign from my position or he makes sure I never teach again by putting my name on something he called "The Black List". I resigned. (This is what I contacted human resources about, not knowing the head of the department was friends with the principal.) I stayed on for the remaining 3 months, finished out the semester. During my time at this particular school, I learned the principal cared about one thing and one thing only: the graduation rate. I cared about somehting different: the students' ability to learn. The prinicpal was in charge of the school with the highest drop out rate and lowest graduation rate and he wanted these numbers to be reversed. I was not helping. Salary was $1900 per month.
Extremely satisfying
Biology Teacher (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNJuly 12, 2013
Pros: students
Great principal/leadership

Encouraging, upbeat environment

The most satisfying experiences were observing student improvements in pride, accomplishments, and expectations of self
Long hours, excessive paperwork, micromanaged
Instructor (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNMay 30, 2013
Expectations are extreme, evaluation rubric is subjective and unfair, hours are excessive, teachers are micromanaged, belittled, and are not treated as professionals.

April 16, 2015

This district is horrible to their employees. I graduated at the top of my class in Michigan and came highly recommended when hired by CMCSS. Within 3 years, my passion for teaching was destroyed by a heartless principal and cold administration. EDI was rammed down our throats, and discovery based learning was thrown out the window. When I tried to implement successful teaching strategies, such as Literature Circles, my principal (who had no idea what a literature circle was) told me that I was lazy and didn't know how to teach. All I heard was how CMCSS was a "data driven district," and yet there was NO data to support the outdated rote learning exercises that I was forced to subject my students to. I was selected, by the district, as the Green Apple and received a standing ovation for the speech I gave. The Director came to my table and shook my hand, telling me what an asset I was to the district and how much he appreciated my service. Five days later, he signed off on my principal's request to not renew my contract. When I emailed him in disbelief, he did not reply. The teacher's union told me that I would still get my professional license, but that was not true. The principal determines if she feels you are worthy or not, and the state does not question it. Don't come here. They will destroy everything you love about your profession. I was offered two teaching positions in different counties when the school year ended, but after enduring a 3 year nightmare, I left the profession I loved.

Administrative Assistant - Transportation Dept (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNOctober 19, 2012
Answered incoming calls (8 lines), handled complaints, filing, great place to work and co-workers were easy to get along with.
You DO NOT want to drive a school bus w/ CMCSS
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Clarksville, TennesseeSeptember 24, 2012
Pros: employment in a weak economy
Cons: messy management, broke down buses, awful pay and benefits, under-staffed due to treatment of personnel.
The leadership team for this department is extremely unorganized and have NO idea what or how to run a department to include boosting employee morale,etc. Most people think that driving a large vehicle or managing others children would be the hardest part of the job when actually its the co-workers, management team... A typical work day is to get up, go to work, pre-trip your bus to prepare for your route then get switched to someone else's route that you are completely unfamiliar with daily, and monthly and when its finally time to return to your route either the kids don't know you or they have gotten completely out of control needing to be re-trained. The management team purposely looks for ways to write you up to eventually end employment. For all that goes into getting the children to and from school safely the pay SUCKS!!!! Bus drivers and Aides are technically considered part time personnel w/full time benefits, but pay the most in medical insurance. Bus drivers are generally paid 5 hours per day w/some being 6 if you drive (pre-K). Bus drivers and aides are NOT paid for all the off days that are associated with a school year to include SUMMERS thus making taking care of your family financially extremely difficult. This is NOT a job for those with families to support, or anyone wishing to maintain sanity!!!
Extremely High Stress Area working with children of the ages of 15-20
❸ Science Teacher (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNSeptember 16, 2012
Pros: summers off
Cons: large class sizes
Teaching has its disadvantages. Most people get into the job because they like to teach but get out of the job because they don't get to spend enough time teaching.
Challenging position teaching 7th grade students
Language Arts Teacher (Former Employee), Clarksville, TNJune 8, 2012
*Worked from 6am until 11pm
*Challeing behavior from students
*Difficult managing all the job requirements