Clean Harbors Employee Reviews

Driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJanuary 14, 2016
I have to admit , I never worked for such an awesome company. I learned first aid, confined space entry and rescue. I learned to operate a vaccuum truck and my favorite would have to be was a roll off. That is a job Id like to do til I retire.
Pros
Learning all the time
Cons
Loss of hours
Not a good place to work
truck driver cdl driver (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 14, 2016
I worked for this company and found out quickly that they do not have their act together. It is not a good working atmosphere. Racisim is very much present in this company. I witnessed how they treat blacks differently.......i myself am white....but at the end of the day...what i saw made me look for another job.....
Pros
Cons
No consistancy. No professionalism .
Stay away from Clean Harbors
chemist (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 5, 2016
This is one of the worse companies that I have ever worked for. Stay away it may seem like a great place but it is not. Operations Manager has entire family working for her.
Pros
Cons
Live close to the location
Worst mistake ever
chemist (Current Employee) –  san joseDecember 29, 2015
They sell you a dream and that's about it, they say they are about safety and then pm will make fun of you if you feel unsafe or uncomfortable, management is a joke all they care about is how they look in the eyes of the corporate office, the insite supervisor on my crew bullies other employees to get his way and then when you stand up to him he calls the gm and has you reprimanded. taking a job here was the worst mistake i ever made. If you try and use a sick day or vacation day they tell you they dont have coverage for your shift and that if you dont come in they will write you up. LOW PAY, zero room for advancement, and garbage benefits. I am actively looking for a new job
Pros
Cons
every part of this job, especially the Management
good to go
Hazardous Waste Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 28, 2015
Took calls for personnel that needed to dispose of their hazmat
I also took care of calls in regards to chemicals spilled in the water streams.
Pros
easy to navigate
Cons
Seeking a workplace with constant chance for advancement
Liquid Transfer Operator/ Spotter (Current Employee) –  Dolton, ILNovember 16, 2015
My current workplace is an atmosphere of tension and fear of management. Numbers are important, but not for all employees. I am currently the only employee that is demanded to work in other areas outside of my hired job. There is absolutely no chance for advancement for me in my present employment. I am a hard working individual, highly self motivated, and very open to learning new jobs and hunger for the chance of building a great working relationship with management and my coworkers. I am currently experienced and trained in several areas in the chemical industry. I am also trained to drive the yard truck and make trailer moves for the entire campus. I am also trained to use the railcar shuttle, that enables us to move railcars without the help of the rail road company.
Not worth it unless you have a strong back and you get hired right outta high school
Class A wet Vac operator (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 16, 2015
This company was a big disappointment, they sell you a dream then give you a nightmare they sent me all the way across the country to train for 9 days after that that's where the nightmare began I am a truck driver not a field hand..I mean field tech all I did was run around like a chicken with my head off lifting carrying pushing pulling cleaning and breaking my back I did not go to CDL school to be a field hand I mean field tech I'm an equipment operator that's what I should be doing because that's what I was hired to do this company moves slow as molasses to get drivers signed off on the equipment I can drive every truck they have in the yard but not until they sign me off after I get the training to operate it which they never gave me. In my first 2 months two drivers quit one Forman quit and one field tech transferred management at this shop is horrible and running the operation into the ground two years ago they had 30 guys now they are down to 8 guys in the field and two in the office that can come in the field this operation needs an enema.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
Everything else, especially management
very unrewarding work incinerating garbage
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Aragonite, UTNovember 2, 2015
This location had managers that seemed very disconnected from the employees. A large amount of paperwork was involved for state and federal audits which reduced the amount of work expected of an individual daily.
Long Hours, poor communication, not enough equipment to do the job efficiently.
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Vance, ALOctober 26, 2015
-Hard back breaking work,

- I have learned as a foreman how to communicate with my team members in order to get tasks completed.

- Management doesn't do what is needed of them, doesn't tell the truth to the employees.
Pros
Vacation, Personal time, sick time.
Cons
Not enough equipment to do the job.
A very reliable environmental company
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLOctober 25, 2015
When it comes to hazardous waste management and disposal this is one of the best contractors in the United States of America.
Pros
Big company with diverse resources
Cons
Their divisions don't really work as a team, sometimes look like they are working for different companies
productive friendly environment
Facility Technician 1 (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 21, 2015
it was a nice environment to be around a lot of funny people the boss was a good person i like the work ethic it was a workout being there
Pros
they would buy us food and snacks
Cons
short breaks
my co-workers
receiving chemist,labpack tech (Current Employee) –  Reidsville, NCOctober 10, 2015
have the best co-workers enjoy working with them we get along so well very funny guys makes work go by so quickly great company to work for but management could use a little more training its all about the numbers
Pros
easy work
Cons
management
Not bad
Document Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  ButtonwillowOctober 9, 2015
This company was okay to work for. It's just really far out and doesn't pay well. The people are nice though. They give incentives and raises for good work.
they act like they care about the people...
Insite tech/chem, CP chemist, Driver (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 1, 2015
they don't!

management used to be better until changes were made to are now current gm who is in way over his head.

we said we would like to see changes but management doesn't care and most importantly does not like to consider internal promotions since are pm left to be under sj management.

hours are long and they don't care as long as its money for the company.

we told them a while back before about unionizing and they didn't listen so here we are.
Pros
its a paycheck
Cons
we said all along starts with upper management, gm talks down at us and if he isnt its because he is friends with you
Nice company
Hazmat Driver (Current Employee) –  Norwell, MASeptember 27, 2015
Clean Harbors is a nice company to work for. Current job requires being on the road 5 out of 5 days a week. Very nice people and culture.
Pros
culture, compliance followed, nice people
Cons
being away 5 out of 5 days a week
working in drum dock
tech lll (Former Employee) –  Grantsville, UTSeptember 10, 2015
working on the drum dock . I learned the paper work I do every day I work. The co-worker I had there are really good guys they would help anybody out if need. The hardest thing was doing being on the computer figuring out where things go where how to exposed the material we had. I have fun for the BBQ they did for the groups and co-workers
Poor Management
Facility Technician II (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTAugust 22, 2015
Clean Harbors is not a place to work if you are hoping for advancement or long term employment. Promotions are made by favoritism and raises aren't enough. The hourly wage is barely above poverty. If you have medical issues and you can't do all what your job description says (even if you never did all that is listed in your job description) they use that excuse to let you go. When you go out of your way to go above and beyond you are not noticed for what you do. When you do something that another employee told you not to do,, All of a sudden that employee is a supervisor and you disobeyed a directive and you get a 3 day suspension.
Pros
Generally great co workers
Cons
Management, benefits
bad management
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Provost, ABAugust 15, 2015
company to top heavy, lack of training, safety program is there to protect the company not the workers. pay is not good and you dont get any hours
You learn many
Field Tech / Forman/ Driver (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRAugust 10, 2015
Good job, learn many stuff in heart and safety, enviromental, dot.
many training then get to all.
Big company you work all USA
Poor Management
Managet/ driver (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZAugust 8, 2015
Do not work for this company. It's the worst company that I have work for , low pay , to many to no hours , they claim safety is their first priority, but it's not as a matter of fact it's their least concern. I've seen employees in very dangerous positions and they just made fun of them if they didn't want to do it if they didn't feel safe. No bonuses or raises. Absolutely no qualified leadership or management. Cheapest company ever. Bad equipment and tools. I would not recommend this company to my very worst enemy.
Pros
Cons
not safe, poor management