Clean Harbors Employee Reviews in United States

great company
Hazmat Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 11, 2016
this is a great company for the company but not for the employees, i did learn a lot and im greatful for that, some co workers were good to work with while other seem to be spoiled from management, seems like they would do what they wanted ,
Pros
no pros..
Cons
bad management, bad employees
Great Place
HSE Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 13, 2016
The only complaint I have after working two years at Clean Harbors is that I am no longer employed due to layoffs related to a slow oil and gas industry. Management is involved in operations and the safety culture is on par with other high level organizations.
Its a very good company to work for
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDMay 31, 2016
I loved working for them but was not happy living in ND that's the only reason im no longer there, they are a very big company and care about the employees and will do whatever it takes to help them when they need it.
Pros
Good money and good people to work with
Cons
working in ND
Great people at work
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Norwell, MAMay 25, 2016
-Company does well due to its successful business plan and trustworthy people
-The CEO is a visionary and is open to new ideas
-Great people to work with.
-Friendly work environment where teams are treated like a family
Pros
Good company perks
Cons
Not very suitable for a fresher
Facility Technician IV (Former Employee) –  San Leon, TXMay 17, 2016
Running unit , great co- workers, learned to troubleshoot and fix small problems. being able to work with procedures, and safety manner. learn to work with vacuum.
Pros
working with great bunch of guys worked professional
Cons
To understand Management desicions
Excellent Supervisor allowing time off for family
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Kimball, NEMay 17, 2016
Fulfilling generated work orders and time sensitive repairs while troubleshooting and making recommendations. Compressors, pumps, motors, conveyors, cranes, welding, rebuilding, improving and communication with operators. Excellent group of coworkers and partners as support for work and questions. Confined space entry permits, Hot work permits, and Hazardous Waste line opening permits used to accomplish a lot of the work.
Pros
Flexibility for family events
Safety is a number 1 priority. Good place to learn multiple skill sets.
In site supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vance, ALMay 15, 2016
Safety is first and for most. Excellent safety program. Many on line learning courses and certifications available for personal and business growth. Management willing to teach and help you grow in the environmental industry and many more areas. Most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers with emergency spill response and clean up in a safe and timely manner to keep everyone safe.
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) – Poca, WV – May 7, 2016
Clean Harbors (Current Employee) –  Clean HarborsMay 13, 2016
For the employee who posted this. Get a life. There is no sense bad mouthing a company where you spent a limited amount of time and couldn't progress because you was lazy, worthless, or both. It is laid out from the start what you are going to be doing, if you wasn't ok with that you shouldn't have accepted the position.

Clean Harbors has its setbacks as do all other companies. I have seen how they treat their employees, customers, and vendors. It is no where close to what you are explaining. I personally have done well with Clean Harbors and they have treated me well but there again, I didn't set back and hope something falls into my lap.

You worked for Clean Harbors for a short period, wasn't getting everything handed to you, so you decided to quit, then you decide to bad mouth a company for your own actions. Disgrace.
Stay away
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Poca, WVMay 7, 2016
This is not a good company to work for. General manager will not have your back, racism is rampant from all sides no matter what your race. And god forbid if you are looking for another job. Also everyone will try to stab you in the back. AVOID.
Pros
Pay rate
Cons
Hours are inconstant you might not work some weeks, poor management, poor morale.
Field Tech
Field Tech (Former Employee) –  Commerce City, COMay 6, 2016
Worst job I ever had unless you don't like to be home most of the time and you don't have any bills to pay then this job is for you. only got good hours during the warm parts of the year but could never use vacation because you would use it all up trying to get a pay check when you sit at home, management would say they are working hard to get jobs but pretty sure they didn't care cause they were on salary so they got paid no matter what they would just tell you that so you wouldn't be looking for another job, thought our office sucked but went to other places to work and would hear the same problems so it was all over clean harbors the common question when working with other offices is "You guys staying busy?" then after the first of the year(2016) clean harbors stopped matching 401k's and there are no bonus's what so ever so no wonder they are a billion dollar company, hardly had any jobs where you could be home with your family or make any plans to be home its was basically when they would call you need to show up for work, then I put in my two weeks they wouldn't even put me on the schedule after I did, I tried talking to higher up management to see if any thing could be done about it and nope I was told I could talk to him about stuff but when it came down to it no help at all, if they ever messed up on your paycheck it took them forever to fix it I'm sure they were hoping that after so long you would forget about it and its so hard to get ahold of anyone to get it fixed, been on many jobs were we don't have the right tools for the job or we would just have to make something  more... work so did some pretty dumb stuff to just get the job done. WOULD NOT RECCOMENED THIS JOB AT ALL, unless you live at home with your parents and don't have bills that are due every month.  less
Pros
Get to Travel
Cons
alot of stuff!!

Want to know more about Clean Harbors?

Ask a question
Great place to work!
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXApril 25, 2016
Very fun, laid back, easy, the pay wasn't that great and the benefits weren't good. Not enough hours to support, the employees and owners were very kind, though.
Too much travel
Environmental Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Kalkaska, MIApril 25, 2016
No quality of life. Too much travel and not enough personal time. There are no enjoyable parts of this job. No balance of life!!!
Pros
Cons
no balance of life
Productive workplace, just looking for a new career path
Lead Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 17, 2016
Productive workplace. Its a huge company that litterally started from a garage. Great place to work other than the fact that some divisions management can improve.
Pros
Room for advancement
Cons
Leadership in some departments
hard and hot
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, ARApril 13, 2016
I learned how to operate large forklifts while hauling dumpsters in the plant. Weed eating in steel toe boots, overalls that were to big and a hard hat in the heat of the summer.
Pros
money
Cons
heat
destroying safety kleen and thermo fluids
driver (Former Employee) –  ColoradoApril 6, 2016
since the new high priced stop fee and per gallon charge, i have gone from 95-120 stops a week to 40-50. There are many unnecessary positions including middle management that eats up revenue, with that being said, i am looking for a new job after 8 years because within two months i wont even have a route. they also need to get their "system" fixed, i have never seen a more useful system and HR can never get a paycheck right, i am still chasing over $800 in earned income
Pros
pay.... if the get it right... or dont change it
Cons
unnecessary positions, middle management, "the system"
Overall Good Company
NET Developer (Current Employee) –  Norwell, MAMarch 11, 2016
Work culture is good. Co-workers are good. Work pressure depends on project you are working on. Management is kind of ok
Stressful place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwell, MAFebruary 29, 2016
This used to be a great place.
Culture has changed and management is all over the place.

The company is no longer an environmental company, it has shifted its focus on the oil business since Safety-Kleen was acquired, and this is driving it down, it is more Safety-Kleen than the Clean Harbors I used to know.

Management is not great, no real structures in place and they are constantly being changed: not sustainable.

There's a wide range of domains so lots of opportunity to learn new things and new tech.

Constant layoffs every year and no work/life balance.
Pros
Home grown tech.
Cons
Poor Management
Unpredictable and Inexperienced Management
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Sulphur, LAFebruary 25, 2016
A typical work day working out of the Clean Harbors Sulphur, LA Office is unpredictable. The General Manager is Two-Faced and lies about everything. Example: We didn't have work gloves many times so we brought it to his attention and he replied; (Oh yeah there's some out in the shop). which was a lie. Also, I Had worn out tires on my Tractor Truck and I told the Supervisor about the issue and he told me that; (The Tires Are okay enough to Continue hauling loads). The Bottom line is because of the Manager's carelessness I could have been pulled over by D.O.T. and fined personally if I would have continued driving the truck with those worn out tires missing tread down the highway. This manager is deliberately hiring people to do jobs without giving them the proper PPE and training they need so that when the company loses a job, the manager blames the workers for the loss of jobs/work to the customer and to corporate to cover himself. I predict this company will disappear from this area if the Corporate Office doesn't remove the Manager soon.
The Supervisor the Manager hired is Clueless to how to run Vacuum or Hydroblasting Jobs so therefore there isn't much business being acquired and the jobs they have done they have never been called back to do anymore work.
Pros
Great Health Insurance
Cons
They Stopped matching 401k and manager and supervisor are careless and unknowledgeable
clean harbos
Environmental Technician II (Former Employee) –  National City, CAFebruary 22, 2016
harzardous waste operation and emergency response, worked whit the field service coordinator in the allocation o manpower
Safety Kleen Sacramento
RSR (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 4, 2016
I worked for Safety-Kleen (Clean Harbors Co) for almost 2 years and the Branch Manager has the worse attitude towards his employees even though they make that location one of the best. He doesn't ever show appreciation when someone or should I say everyone goes above and beyond in there everyday work life to make the branch run smoother. I did gain a lot of experience in the environmental world from the Service Manager as he took the time to show his employees the ropes and was very patient. The job was about 12-14 hours a day on average with lots of overtime pay but, sometimes it got old and the OT pay wasn't even worth it after working long hours week in and week out. Clean Harbors in general is an a great company to work for with decent benefits and good pay.
Pros
Lots of OT and decent pay
Cons
Healthcare

2.8