Clean Harbors Employee Reviews

Good benefits and pay, bad balance
Manager (Current Employee) –  TXJanuary 18, 2017
This is a good company overall. They treat hourly personnel very well and train them just as well. However, once you switch over to salary as you advance your career the demands on your personal time are so much greater that it leaves little to no work/life balance. Even on holidays and your days off management expects you to work, make conference calls, and be available to respond to emails and requests. My suggestion: get with this company and advance through the hourly position ranks. Their are too many cut backs on salaried support positions for anyone to achieve the proper balance.
Pros
Benefits and training
Cons
Work/life balance doesn't exist
Very Difficult Work Environment
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  New MexicoAugust 20, 2016
Working for Safety-Kleen and Clean Harbors is a very chaotic. Corporate guidelines are structured to create challenging and even impossible objectives. There is constant moral issues, and management hostility that will be encountered on a weekly basis. Management and employee oversight is designed to be impossible to achieve, success is extremely subjective and changes depending on the whims of management. If you have other options than this company, choose elsewhere.
Pros
Decent Compenation, Average Benefits
Cons
Hostile work environment, Unrealistic proformance objectives
Good schedule, but limited upward mobility
Receiving Chemist (Current Employee) –  Kimball, NEJanuary 9, 2017
Clean Harbors has been a good place to work so far. I like my schedule, and the people I work with are great for the most part. The pay is ok and the benefits are good. My only complaint is the lack of upward mobility. It is easy to max out within a few years of working at Clean Harbors.
Pros
Schedule, and lots of time off without using vacation time
Cons
easy to peak in pay and experience
Long Hours and never satisfied
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 7, 2017
Long hours..dirty job..trucks r old..Caint satisfy anybody there. Always wanting more.Great benefits and vac. Co workers help out a lot.
Pros
Weekends off..decent pay
Cons
Junk trucks..long hours..
Adaptive work environment
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 4, 2017
Daily tasks changed by project, always centered around disposing hazardous chemicals. Generally ten hour days or greater also depending on the project.
Pros
401k, Medical insurance, mileage reimbursement, double pay sunday
Cons
always on call, large commute, poor team communication
Bottom line focus
Director Transformer Services Line of Business (Former Employee) –  Norwell, MANovember 29, 2016
Fundamental business focus of protecting the environment. Very focused on stockholder value. Strong safety expectation, but equally strong performance expectation coupled with shorter range transnational labor compensation.

Very strategic and controlled capital growth.
great work place
Receiving Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 14, 2017
Great place to work. Layed back work environment. Pay is pretty fair, but not many raises available. Most managers great to work with.
The job itself is enjoyable, but the lack of backing from management hurts.
Chemist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC 28208September 18, 2016
Starting pay is comparable but advancement is limited. Good opportunity to work alone if desired. Able to set own work schedule & no weekends. Again very limited advancement.
Pros
Its a job without physical body stress
Cons
No raises
Good Company
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2017
Great company lots of travel so looking to stay close to home. Lots of benefits and lots of overtime. Steady work year round. A great company to work for
Remember that TV show Dirty Jobs?
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 24, 2016
Chances are you are going to work on a site with the likes of the TV show Dirty Jobs. You must be able to work in extreme temperatures and bad smell. You must be able to work on very elevates surfaces and small, dark spaces. You will be liftining, pushing, bending, crawling, and using power tools. Be prepared to sweet perfusely. You must be able to work as part of a team and that is very key.

If you enjoy Safety-is-First kind of jobs this is one for you!

It is extremely important to do your homework before applying for an entry level position as a labor worker.

**DO NOT** settle for a low ball offer. There are many jobs that will be available for these positions. The demanding, aver changing schedule added to some really hard, and dirty days will combine with bad weather and unpleasant settings to create a perfect storm. That storm not including personal life will send a lot of people flying out. So, unless you secure a good starting hourly rate you wont last. My advise is find out how much you should get paid first.

The company provides great benefits and overtime is often available.

Management in the local offices can be very political and seldom preferential towards friends and family hence the importance of starting on the right foot and that means get your times worth in dollars as you interview. This will keep you grounded because the money you make is your bottom line. You don't have to prove anything to anyone. You must work safely and efficiently that is all.

You will meet people from all walks of life. This means you must be able to interact with
  more... and work well with others. You will have to go to different places in the country and if you are "lucky" even outside the country.  less
Pros
Overtime, Benefits, Travel, Flexible
Cons
Hard, Demanding Schedules, Dirty, Dangerous, Intermittent
nice place to work and grow
Insite Tech/chemist (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJuly 27, 2016
The company has an interest in the individual and will offer good benefits. I learned a lot from the classes offered. The job was easy to perform and enjoyable.
Pros
good salary
Cons
transfer to other locatons
Work like a slave until the work is done
Receiving Technician (Current Employee) –  Aragonite, UTJanuary 3, 2017
There is almost no work life balance.
questionable 70+ hr work weeks.
The fellow co-workers were great.
Upper management was not so great.
I never knew when I was going to be able to go home.
The hardest part of the job is overcoming constant curveballs in daily plans of workflow.
Pros
tons of money.
Cons
Long travel, almost no free time.
Safety Kleen Sacramento
RSR (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 4, 2016
I worked for Safety-Kleen (Clean Harbors Co) for almost 2 years and the Branch Manager has the worse attitude towards his employees even though they make that location one of the best. He doesn't ever show appreciation when someone or should I say everyone goes above and beyond in there everyday work life to make the branch run smoother. I did gain a lot of experience in the environmental world from the Service Manager as he took the time to show his employees the ropes and was very patient. The job was about 12-14 hours a day on average with lots of overtime pay but, sometimes it got old and the OT pay wasn't even worth it after working long hours week in and week out. Clean Harbors in general is an a great company to work for with decent benefits and good pay.
Pros
Lots of OT and decent pay
Cons
Healthcare
Absolutely poor mangement
Heavy Duty Diesel Technician (Current Employee) –  NevadaFebruary 14, 2017
1st off, I am not a disgruntled employee by no means.. This company, which is a good company, hires the most incompetent people for the job they have no idea what to do. Managers, that do not know the maintenance field what so ever. Very poor management... Never seen a company like this ever. I am sure the CEO has no clue on some of these people that are hub managers, that they do not know there job. Seriously. The company is going to fail with un knowledgable hub managers. Its sad.
Pros
Cant think of any now
Cons
Managers that are not fully educated on there job discription
Worst mistake ever
chemist (Current Employee) –  san joseDecember 29, 2015
They sell you a dream and that's about it, they say they are about safety and then pm will make fun of you if you feel unsafe or uncomfortable, management is a joke all they care about is how they look in the eyes of the corporate office, the insite supervisor on my crew bullies other employees to get his way and then when you stand up to him he calls the gm and has you reprimanded. taking a job here was the worst mistake i ever made. If you try and use a sick day or vacation day they tell you they dont have coverage for your shift and that if you dont come in they will write you up. LOW PAY, zero room for advancement, and garbage benefits. I am actively looking for a new job
Pros
Cons
every part of this job, especially the Management
Excellent company worked there over 19 years
Vertical Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioFebruary 23, 2017
Excellent company. Worked there 19 years. Advancement was excellent. Liked the Cleveland and Pittsburgh offices. Traveled extensively later in my career. Communication with management was very good.
Good company, bad management.
IN SIGHT TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Martinez, CAMay 26, 2016
Managers do very little to help employees excel. Little to no advancement opportunities. Work, however, is steady and benefits aren't bad.
Drivers Beware
Driver (Former Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 29, 2016
I was forced to go over my hours several times. Management knows about the DOT violations and hides them.Chemists who work with us steal hours from clients and then submit those stolen hours to corporate on the drivers behalf. We aren't allowed to submit our own hours. Then management goes after the drivers for stealing. When I identified the chemists as the thieves and nothing was done, I quit position. CORPORATE THEFT I WILL NOT BE PART OF.
Management knows about all of the problems and work together to hide it.
Pros
Cons
Don't care about employees, old trucks, poor management, poor pay
Chemist with more than 15 years of experience in Product/Procrss development and analytical chemistry.
Analytical Chemist (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJanuary 12, 2017
I learned to work on Inductive Coupled Plasma-Optical Emission Spectroscopy.
I liked whole entire work in the lab.
I worked as a team with my co-workers.
The management was giving us feed-backed.
Pros
Free launces.
Cons
Expensive health care with high didactible.
Not hiring local drivers!!
Cdl Driver (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXsJanuary 6, 2017
The supervisors will tell you what you want to hear to get you hired but as soon as you go through training and sign the papers, they are going to try and send you to California for three straight months.
Pros
Good hourly pay
Cons
No steady schedule, Terrible management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clean Harbors. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9