Clean Harbors Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent Supervisor allowing time off for family
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Kimball, NEMay 17, 2016
Fulfilling generated work orders and time sensitive repairs while troubleshooting and making recommendations. Compressors, pumps, motors, conveyors, cranes, welding, rebuilding, improving and communication with operators. Excellent group of coworkers and partners as support for work and questions. Confined space entry permits, Hot work permits, and Hazardous Waste line opening permits used to accomplish a lot of the work.
Pros
Flexibility for family events
Safety is a number 1 priority. Good place to learn multiple skill sets.
In site supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vance, ALMay 15, 2016
Safety is first and for most. Excellent safety program. Many on line learning courses and certifications available for personal and business growth. Management willing to teach and help you grow in the environmental industry and many more areas. Most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers with emergency spill response and clean up in a safe and timely manner to keep everyone safe.
destroying safety kleen and thermo fluids
driver (Former Employee) –  ColoradoApril 6, 2016
since the new high priced stop fee and per gallon charge, i have gone from 95-120 stops a week to 40-50. There are many unnecessary positions including middle management that eats up revenue, with that being said, i am looking for a new job after 8 years because within two months i wont even have a route. they also need to get their "system" fixed, i have never seen a more useful system and HR can never get a paycheck right, i am still chasing over $800 in earned income
Pros
pay.... if the get it right... or dont change it
Cons
unnecessary positions, middle management, "the system"
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) – Poca, WV – May 7, 2016
Clean Harbors (Current Employee) –  Clean HarborsMay 13, 2016
For the employee who posted this. Get a life. There is no sense bad mouthing a company where you spent a limited amount of time and couldn't progress because you was lazy, worthless, or both. It is laid out from the start what you are going to be doing, if you wasn't ok with that you shouldn't have accepted the position.

Clean Harbors has its setbacks as do all other companies. I have seen how they treat their employees, customers, and vendors. It is no where close to what you are explaining. I personally have done well with Clean Harbors and they have treated me well but there again, I didn't set back and hope something falls into my lap.

You worked for Clean Harbors for a short period, wasn't getting everything handed to you, so you decided to quit, then you decide to bad mouth a company for your own actions. Disgrace.
Stay away
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Poca, WVMay 7, 2016
This is not a good company to work for. General manager will not have your back, racism is rampant from all sides no matter what your race. And god forbid if you are looking for another job. Also everyone will try to stab you in the back. AVOID.
Pros
Pay rate
Cons
Hours are inconstant you might not work some weeks, poor management, poor morale.
Stressful place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwell, MAFebruary 29, 2016
This used to be a great place.
Culture has changed and management is all over the place.

The company is no longer an environmental company, it has shifted its focus on the oil business since Safety-Kleen was acquired, and this is driving it down, it is more Safety-Kleen than the Clean Harbors I used to know.

Management is not great, no real structures in place and they are constantly being changed: not sustainable.

There's a wide range of domains so lots of opportunity to learn new things and new tech.

Constant layoffs every year and no work/life balance.
Pros
Home grown tech.
Cons
Poor Management
Its a very good company to work for
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDMay 31, 2016
I loved working for them but was not happy living in ND that's the only reason im no longer there, they are a very big company and care about the employees and will do whatever it takes to help them when they need it.
Pros
Good money and good people to work with
Cons
working in ND
Great people at work
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Norwell, MAMay 25, 2016
-Company does well due to its successful business plan and trustworthy people
-The CEO is a visionary and is open to new ideas
-Great people to work with.
-Friendly work environment where teams are treated like a family
Pros
Good company perks
Cons
Not very suitable for a fresher
great company
Hazmat Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 11, 2016
this is a great company for the company but not for the employees, i did learn a lot and im greatful for that, some co workers were good to work with while other seem to be spoiled from management, seems like they would do what they wanted ,
Pros
no pros..
Cons
bad management, bad employees
Safety Kleen Sacramento
RSR (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 4, 2016
I worked for Safety-Kleen (Clean Harbors Co) for almost 2 years and the Branch Manager has the worse attitude towards his employees even though they make that location one of the best. He doesn't ever show appreciation when someone or should I say everyone goes above and beyond in there everyday work life to make the branch run smoother. I did gain a lot of experience in the environmental world from the Service Manager as he took the time to show his employees the ropes and was very patient. The job was about 12-14 hours a day on average with lots of overtime pay but, sometimes it got old and the OT pay wasn't even worth it after working long hours week in and week out. Clean Harbors in general is an a great company to work for with decent benefits and good pay.
Pros
Lots of OT and decent pay
Cons
Healthcare
Great Place
HSE Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 13, 2016
The only complaint I have after working two years at Clean Harbors is that I am no longer employed due to layoffs related to a slow oil and gas industry. Management is involved in operations and the safety culture is on par with other high level organizations.
Facility Technician IV (Former Employee) –  San Leon, TXMay 17, 2016
Running unit , great co- workers, learned to troubleshoot and fix small problems. being able to work with procedures, and safety manner. learn to work with vacuum.
Pros
working with great bunch of guys worked professional
Cons
To understand Management desicions
Productive workplace, just looking for a new career path
Lead Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 17, 2016
Productive workplace. Its a huge company that litterally started from a garage. Great place to work other than the fact that some divisions management can improve.
Pros
Room for advancement
Cons
Leadership in some departments
Worst mistake ever
chemist (Current Employee) –  san joseDecember 29, 2015
They sell you a dream and that's about it, they say they are about safety and then pm will make fun of you if you feel unsafe or uncomfortable, management is a joke all they care about is how they look in the eyes of the corporate office, the insite supervisor on my crew bullies other employees to get his way and then when you stand up to him he calls the gm and has you reprimanded. taking a job here was the worst mistake i ever made. If you try and use a sick day or vacation day they tell you they dont have coverage for your shift and that if you dont come in they will write you up. LOW PAY, zero room for advancement, and garbage benefits. I am actively looking for a new job
Pros
Cons
every part of this job, especially the Management
Not a good place to work
truck driver cdl driver (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 14, 2016
I worked for this company and found out quickly that they do not have their act together. It is not a good working atmosphere. Racisim is very much present in this company. I witnessed how they treat blacks differently.......i myself am white....but at the end of the day...what i saw made me look for another job.....
Pros
Cons
No consistancy. No professionalism .
hard and hot
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, ARApril 13, 2016
I learned how to operate large forklifts while hauling dumpsters in the plant. Weed eating in steel toe boots, overalls that were to big and a hard hat in the heat of the summer.
Pros
money
Cons
heat
Too much travel
Environmental Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Kalkaska, MIApril 25, 2016
No quality of life. Too much travel and not enough personal time. There are no enjoyable parts of this job. No balance of life!!!
Pros
Cons
no balance of life
Driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJanuary 14, 2016
I have to admit , I never worked for such an awesome company. I learned first aid, confined space entry and rescue. I learned to operate a vaccuum truck and my favorite would have to be was a roll off. That is a job Id like to do til I retire.
Pros
Learning all the time
Cons
Loss of hours
Great place to work!
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXApril 25, 2016
Very fun, laid back, easy, the pay wasn't that great and the benefits weren't good. Not enough hours to support, the employees and owners were very kind, though.
Seeking a workplace with constant chance for advancement
Liquid Transfer Operator/ Spotter (Current Employee) –  Dolton, ILNovember 16, 2015
My current workplace is an atmosphere of tension and fear of management. Numbers are important, but not for all employees. I am currently the only employee that is demanded to work in other areas outside of my hired job. There is absolutely no chance for advancement for me in my present employment. I am a hard working individual, highly self motivated, and very open to learning new jobs and hunger for the chance of building a great working relationship with management and my coworkers. I am currently experienced and trained in several areas in the chemical industry. I am also trained to drive the yard truck and make trailer moves for the entire campus. I am also trained to use the railcar shuttle, that enables us to move railcars without the help of the rail road company.

2.8