Clean Harbors Employee Reviews in United States

Seeking a workplace with constant chance for advancement
Liquid Transfer Operator/ Spotter (Current Employee) –  Dolton, ILNovember 16, 2015
My current workplace is an atmosphere of tension and fear of management. Numbers are important, but not for all employees. I am currently the only employee that is demanded to work in other areas outside of my hired job. There is absolutely no chance for advancement for me in my present employment. I am a hard working individual, highly self motivated, and very open to learning new jobs and hunger for the chance of building a great working relationship with management and my coworkers. I am currently experienced and trained in several areas in the chemical industry. I am also trained to drive the yard truck and make trailer moves for the entire campus. I am also trained to use the railcar shuttle, that enables us to move railcars without the help of the rail road company.
they act like they care about the people...
Insite tech/chem, CP chemist, Driver (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 1, 2015
they don't!

management used to be better until changes were made to are now current gm who is in way over his head.

we said we would like to see changes but management doesn't care and most importantly does not like to consider internal promotions since are pm left to be under sj management.

hours are long and they don't care as long as its money for the company.

we told them a while back before about unionizing and they didn't listen so here we are.
Pros
its a paycheck
Cons
we said all along starts with upper management, gm talks down at us and if he isnt its because he is friends with you
Long Hours, poor communication, not enough equipment to do the job efficiently.
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Vance, ALOctober 26, 2015
-Hard back breaking work,

- I have learned as a foreman how to communicate with my team members in order to get tasks completed.

- Management doesn't do what is needed of them, doesn't tell the truth to the employees.
Pros
Vacation, Personal time, sick time.
Cons
Not enough equipment to do the job.
Stay away from Clean Harbors
chemist (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 5, 2016
This is one of the worse companies that I have ever worked for. Stay away it may seem like a great place but it is not. Operations Manager has entire family working for her.
Pros
Cons
Live close to the location
Overall Good Company
NET Developer (Current Employee) –  Norwell, MAMarch 11, 2016
Work culture is good. Co-workers are good. Work pressure depends on project you are working on. Management is kind of ok
clean harbos
Environmental Technician II (Former Employee) –  National City, CAFebruary 22, 2016
harzardous waste operation and emergency response, worked whit the field service coordinator in the allocation o manpower
A very reliable environmental company
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLOctober 25, 2015
When it comes to hazardous waste management and disposal this is one of the best contractors in the United States of America.
Pros
Big company with diverse resources
Cons
Their divisions don't really work as a team, sometimes look like they are working for different companies
very unrewarding work incinerating garbage
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Aragonite, UTNovember 2, 2015
This location had managers that seemed very disconnected from the employees. A large amount of paperwork was involved for state and federal audits which reduced the amount of work expected of an individual daily.
Poor Management
Facility Technician II (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTAugust 22, 2015
Clean Harbors is not a place to work if you are hoping for advancement or long term employment. Promotions are made by favoritism and raises aren't enough. The hourly wage is barely above poverty. If you have medical issues and you can't do all what your job description says (even if you never did all that is listed in your job description) they use that excuse to let you go. When you go out of your way to go above and beyond you are not noticed for what you do. When you do something that another employee told you not to do,, All of a sudden that employee is a supervisor and you disobeyed a directive and you get a 3 day suspension.
Pros
Generally great co workers
Cons
Management, benefits
working in drum dock
tech lll (Former Employee) –  Grantsville, UTSeptember 10, 2015
working on the drum dock . I learned the paper work I do every day I work. The co-worker I had there are really good guys they would help anybody out if need. The hardest thing was doing being on the computer figuring out where things go where how to exposed the material we had. I have fun for the BBQ they did for the groups and co-workers

Want to know more about Clean Harbors?

Ask a question
Poor Management
Managet/ driver (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZAugust 8, 2015
Do not work for this company. It's the worst company that I have work for , low pay , to many to no hours , they claim safety is their first priority, but it's not as a matter of fact it's their least concern. I've seen employees in very dangerous positions and they just made fun of them if they didn't want to do it if they didn't feel safe. No bonuses or raises. Absolutely no qualified leadership or management. Cheapest company ever. Bad equipment and tools. I would not recommend this company to my very worst enemy.
Pros
Cons
not safe, poor management
my co-workers
receiving chemist,labpack tech (Current Employee) –  Reidsville, NCOctober 10, 2015
have the best co-workers enjoy working with them we get along so well very funny guys makes work go by so quickly great company to work for but management could use a little more training its all about the numbers
Pros
easy work
Cons
management
good to go
Hazardous Waste Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 28, 2015
Took calls for personnel that needed to dispose of their hazmat
I also took care of calls in regards to chemicals spilled in the water streams.
Pros
easy to navigate
productive friendly environment
Facility Technician 1 (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 21, 2015
it was a nice environment to be around a lot of funny people the boss was a good person i like the work ethic it was a workout being there
Pros
they would buy us food and snacks
Cons
short breaks
Nice company
Hazmat Driver (Current Employee) –  Norwell, MASeptember 27, 2015
Clean Harbors is a nice company to work for. Current job requires being on the road 5 out of 5 days a week. Very nice people and culture.
Pros
culture, compliance followed, nice people
Cons
being away 5 out of 5 days a week
Not worth it unless you have a strong back and you get hired right outta high school
Class A wet Vac operator (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 16, 2015
This company was a big disappointment, they sell you a dream then give you a nightmare they sent me all the way across the country to train for 9 days after that that's where the nightmare began I am a truck driver not a field hand..I mean field tech all I did was run around like a chicken with my head off lifting carrying pushing pulling cleaning and breaking my back I did not go to CDL school to be a field hand I mean field tech I'm an equipment operator that's what I should be doing because that's what I was hired to do this company moves slow as molasses to get drivers signed off on the equipment I can drive every truck they have in the yard but not until they sign me off after I get the training to operate it which they never gave me. In my first 2 months two drivers quit one Forman quit and one field tech transferred management at this shop is horrible and running the operation into the ground two years ago they had 30 guys now they are down to 8 guys in the field and two in the office that can come in the field this operation needs an enema.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
Everything else, especially management
Not bad
Document Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  ButtonwillowOctober 9, 2015
This company was okay to work for. It's just really far out and doesn't pay well. The people are nice though. They give incentives and raises for good work.
Very nice place to work.
Rental Administrator (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, PAAugust 5, 2015
Sitting all day at a desk doing the billing for the companies assets. Making sure all assets are accounted for. Tracking of all assets. Making sure the invoices are correct and all prices are correct.
Pros
Work at your own pace
Not a company to work for Glenmont,NY
Environmental Field Tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Glenmont,NYMay 17, 2015
Clean harbors is all about clean harbors and not about the employee. I learned a lot from this company. The management at clean harbors in Glenmont, NY do whatever they want, they come in whenever the want and leave whenever they want. The co-workers will bust your stones over the littlest things so you better have thick skin. The hardest part about this job is the on-call 24/7/365. No matter what you are always on call and even if you can't go out to a emergency call due to family issues, the management will be very upset and they will keep calling you. I had personal issues where I had to take off 2 days a week due to doctors appointments and the management got very upset cause they thought I was using them for the money. DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY IN GLENMONT,NY
Unpredictable and Inexperienced Management
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Sulphur, LAFebruary 25, 2016
A typical work day working out of the Clean Harbors Sulphur, LA Office is unpredictable. The General Manager is Two-Faced and lies about everything. Example: We didn't have work gloves many times so we brought it to his attention and he replied; (Oh yeah there's some out in the shop). which was a lie. Also, I Had worn out tires on my Tractor Truck and I told the Supervisor about the issue and he told me that; (The Tires Are okay enough to Continue hauling loads). The Bottom line is because of the Manager's carelessness I could have been pulled over by D.O.T. and fined personally if I would have continued driving the truck with those worn out tires missing tread down the highway. This manager is deliberately hiring people to do jobs without giving them the proper PPE and training they need so that when the company loses a job, the manager blames the workers for the loss of jobs/work to the customer and to corporate to cover himself. I predict this company will disappear from this area if the Corporate Office doesn't remove the Manager soon.
The Supervisor the Manager hired is Clueless to how to run Vacuum or Hydroblasting Jobs so therefore there isn't much business being acquired and the jobs they have done they have never been called back to do anymore work.
Pros
Great Health Insurance
Cons
They Stopped matching 401k and manager and supervisor are careless and unknowledgeable

2.8