Clean Water Action Employee Reviews

Excellent workplace for environmental justice
Program Organizer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 4, 2016
This is a fantastic company to work for. I have worked in all four departments over the past 3 years and I cannot express what a wonderful team they have here. Environmental work can often be like fighting an uphill battle, but this company continually works to fight for our health and environment.
Draining and requires great interpersonal skills
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 5, 2016
Co-worker were very nice people. If you're not an outgoing person, then this is likely not the job for you. Had to go door to door most days, and at different times of the day. I was not particularly keen of roaming Baltimore city at night, especially since i was not familiar with the area.
Interesting Job
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 6, 2016
It was nice working there for 2 weeks, got to know a lot of canvassing and informing people about the causes of pollution and lobbying.
Pros
Great Workplace
Enriching nonprofit experience with dynamic co-workers.
Field Manager (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAJanuary 2, 2016
This work is very rewarding as I go door to door and inspire strangers to participate in environmental and public health issues, as well as exercise their power as a citizen of the US. I find it especially enjoyable because I have a wonderful boss and have developed great friendships with my co-workers. It is a positive and progressive work environment, and we always aim to have fun.
canvassing, canvassing, and more canvassing
canvasser (Former Employee) –  montclair NJSeptember 17, 2015
Great people that work for a great cause. Canvassing is close to 100% of the work done. Some people are very rude, some people are very nice but you'll have to find that out for yourself. I've learned to not knock on peoples door after 8 PM even the nicest people don't want to be bothered. If you're a people person and don't mind working the second shift of the day then this job is for you. personally i don't like asking people for donations and working second shift hours. base pay was decent for entry level/internship. Office setting reminds me of a third grade classroom. If there's any doubt you wont like going door to door asking for donations don't take this job.
Pros
good exercise, good experience
Cons
second shift, long hours, exhausted by the end of the night
very calm yet productive environment
membership renewal consultant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 14, 2015
plenty of positive environmental topics discussed and addressed through fundraising. great communication skills and training practices. overall positive and friendly environment
Pros
great money earning potential
Cons
dull and often boring work shift
Horrible racket
Trainee (Former Employee) –  DenverFebruary 28, 2015
This place is not where you want to work. They have new people doing an "observation" every day. They basically use employees for minimum wage until your number of "trainee days" run out. This is simply a racket organization.

They tell you that there is someone in the company lobbying the house and senate but I saw no evidence of that. They simply use you. EVERY SINGLE DAY there is a new "employee". They make you think that you're "hired" but that almost never happens. I have a masters in environmental science and have done sales before. These people are simply sketchy. DO NOT WORK FOR THEM!! And don't donate either. Bad organization.
Pros
Cons
Creepy cult feel, annoying, stare through you
Great grassroot organizing experience
Community Organizer/ Field Canvasser (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MdFebruary 18, 2015
I find the best part of my position is engaging with a diversity among communities. Establishing support and renewing existing on call to action campaigns protecting public health , environment and water. The best result is winning a campaign with the notion that your organizing made the difference.
It's field canvassing
Field Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 19, 2014
Door to door. Not bad pay, room for bonuses and increased pay. Working evenings isn't great and you will probably cry from some of the interactions you get with people. But it's a nonprofit and you usually work with good people. Management is usually reasonable. The training is solid and they don't work you til you're sick.... but doing this full time can do that anyway. It's good exercise and in the summer you get a nice tan.
Pros
only half the time is canvassing. decent pay, room for bonuses, weekends off
Cons
door to door, evenings, can be tiring emotionally and physically
Relaxed work environment in the office, highly organized and motivated employees, Donation requirements stressful
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  East Lansing MIFebruary 13, 2012
Great non-profit organization with good intentions, but at times the business seemed to overtake the issues of the environment.
Pros
travel all over michigan, meet a lot of enthusiastic and if nothing else, interesting people, compensation, five-star staff
Cons
emotionally exhausting to some, must be able to self-motivate, long hours in the middle of the day
fooled
Clerical/ member services (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 11, 2012
It seemed like a great job at first, very fun and relaxed people. the problem is they evaluate you by the amount of money people donate after you speak on the phone with them (members). i got fired after two weeks because i didn't rake in enough donations. they made it clear that i had a goal but they did not make it clear that i would be fired for not meeting the donation goal. the vets at the job simply go through the stack of members and call the people whom they know will make a big donation then sit back for the rest of the day and collect their percentage. one guy (the person who trained me) called his mom for a donation then took the rest of the day off!
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad work ethics
Productive work environment
Canvass Director of New Jersey Environmental (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 8, 2012
Clean Water has a positive work environment. They do a good job defining the responsibilities of every division of the organization and ensuring they work as a cohesive team to achieve the organizations objectives and mission. I trained teams of fundraising grassroots organizers, administer a budget and recruited and build an office. I gained valuable skills in managing and motivating canvassers and leaders and overseeing issue and election campaigns.
Pros
positive work environment and dedicated coworkers
Cons
ability to advance outside of the canvass program
Don't take this job, Waste of time
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Ann ArborOctober 5, 2012
They pretty much can only hire you if you're a sucker. They say they will pay you for your first observation day...but if you don't take the job, they won't pay you. They make it sound like it's so easy to make a lot of money there, but you have to go door to door begging for donations.
Pros
you can take breaks whenever you want
Cons
you're a door to door salesman
Great Environmental Advocacy Organization
Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 8, 2012
Clean Water Action does great environmental advocacy work. They get feet on the ground in key legislative races around the country, connect constituents with their politicians, and get out the vote. The culture and management in highly progressive.
call center
Customer Service / Tele-fundraising (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 23, 2013
at this job, i had to make calls to previous members of clean water action, thank them for there contribution at the door and ask them to renew membership and a donation. the hardest part was calling people that didnt want to be bothered.
Pros
Cons
if u didnt meet quota u were fired
My first office jobs
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Washington dcAugust 16, 2014
This job I took right out of trade school. It was so fun. I learned how to do everything in a office settings. I ordered supplies I typed papers for personnel in the office. I did memos and faxed. I also did mail and some
Pros
free lunch. new learnings
Cons
it was temporary, hours were long
Productive fun and motivating atmosphere
Canvass Coordinator/Field Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 8, 2013
-Training and learning new skills
-Talking to people at the door about the organization and getting donations
-Co-workers are friendly and inclusive to all
-Being able to hang out with lots of like minded people
canvasser
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 9, 2015
i loved working there i got ot go out in the community and inform them about the dangerous toxins that went into the water. i have a great personality and i love talking to people so this job for me was a win/win
Clean Water Action cares about the environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  North Miami, FLOctober 16, 2013
I won this internship with Clean Water Action out of approximately 30 classmates. I wrote papers for pamphlets regarding the future of the economy and the Urban Development Boundary for Miami.
Feel like you're working for the greater good.
CWA Employee (Former Employee) –  East Coast, USADecember 11, 2014
Benefits and salary were very low. High turn around for canvass staff. Enjoyed office culture. High chance of travel for work.
Pros
company culture
Cons
health care, turn ove

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clean Water Action. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9