Clean Water Action Employee Reviews

Fun workplace where you can do good, learn and grow
Organizer (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 14, 2017
It was a great place to work. I really enjoyed the culture there. Everyone was very friendly, and I felt well-informed on the subject material. Guest speakers came in regularly and we were encouraged to ask questions. For the first ten training days, we were given nightly readings that helped us

I wanted a job where I knew I could advance and they were very clear about how I could do that. (which I find very rare these days) We had daily goals (money raised, letters written, and surveys taken), and everyone was very upbeat. (I was introduced to a lot of good music on the van rides.)

The only reason I quit was the typical work day was 1:30-9:30, which was late for me. I found it hard to have a good work life balance. I gave it four stars for work-life balance, because not everybody is such a morning person as I am and can probably make those hours work for them.

The bottom line is I still really believe in Clean Water Action, learned a lot, and would definitely tell anyone about it, even if it was not the right fit for me.
Pros
feel like you're making a difference, upbeat workplace
Cons
work hours
The definition of difficult grassroots organizing
Phone Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 11, 2017
Clean Water Action was a rewarding place to work when it was good, but it was really difficult when it was bad. It required a lot of emotional labor but the people who work there are good and you know you are working for a good cause.
Pros
Good people, bonuses
Cons
Short breaks
Fun summer job
Community Organizer-Canvasser (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 26, 2017
This is a great job for really enthusiastic and energetic people who love people but can be really hard and stressful for people who aren't super comfortable talking to strangers and asking for money
Honorable cause
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJuly 14, 2017
First and maybe only job where I effectively used my prior education. Traveling from city to city canvassing was a great way to raise public awareness
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Winter weather
Great organization, great people
Field Director (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 19, 2017
I appreciate the hard work and incredible passion that all of my colleagues and employees had while I worked at Clean Water Action. If it weren't for my move across the nation for personal reasons, I'd still be working here.
Fun work environment, but disorganized at times
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAMay 25, 2017
I worked as a canvasser for Clean Water Action, and enjoyed doing the letter drives and learning about local environmental issues. The fundraising requirements can be intimidating at times, but that's in part the nature of canvassing. Could have used more training and more frequent group updates about Clean Water Action initiatives to strengthen canvasser knowledge. Job requirements upon hiring could be made more clear to new employees.
Pros
outdoors all day, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
fundraising goals, lack of job security if you don't make quota for several weeks
Productive Work Place
Environmental Health Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 24, 2017
A great place to work and gain exposure to the various environmental policy and advocacy programs occurring throughout the area. It was a great pleasure to work with the Boston Team, as they are some of the most dedicated, inspirational and passionate individuals I've met!
Fast paced work for environmental enthusiasts
Trainer and Community Organizer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 22, 2017
This is a wonderful job if you are passionate about the environment or getting involved politically. There are tons of opportunities to grow with the organization. You will be working outside and experiencing a lot of negativity from people who don't care but it was an overall pretty wonderful job.
Fun work, Aweful Management
Canvasser Trainer (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 14, 2017
The company gives the illusion of being well run but the organizational structure for management is a mess often resulting in the delay of information being handed out. In addition they try to be as vague as possible and intentionally mislead their employees in order to get their way.

The company is very much socially progressive from the top down and management often promoted BLM and other similarly progressive organizations during the pre-shift meeting.

The work is fun and engaging if you enjoy talking to people and working outside. Walking around different neighborhoods each day is a great way to get exercise to see all the parts of Rhode Island and South Eastern Massachusetts.

IMPORTANT: This job involves canvassing, going door to door soliciting donations, a fact which they will not tell you till your first day.
Pros
Travel around RI and Mass
Cons
Disorganized Management
Just don't work here, you deserve a better job!!!
Community Organizer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 11, 2017
The job title is 'Community Organizer' but what you have to do is basically door-to-door canvassing. You are required to knock on people's door from 5-9pm for donation. I really don't like the working culture there as they only care about how much you get from donors in the day and make you feel like a loser if you don't meet the quota. This position sucks when you have to canvases under really bad weather condition and when you meet rude people. The manager and trainer will train you to be really pushy and shameless for donation the first few days.
Pros
Thicker skin asking for money
Cons
Have to work outdoors for 4 hrs
A great learning experience
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 1, 2016
Overall a good experience, but you need to develop a thick skin for this job. Talking to strangers can be challenging work but CWA is a really great organization that does great work. The management and staff are flexible and understanding, and everyone works to create a positive and fun work environment. The hardest part is the learning curve, figuring out how to canvass effectively and not let small failures bring you down.
Pros
positive work environment, good management, great opportunities for engaging with the community and country
Cons
stressful start
Interesting Job
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 6, 2016
It was nice working there for 2 weeks, got to know a lot of canvassing and informing people about the causes of pollution and lobbying.
Pros
Great Workplace
Draining and requires great interpersonal skills
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 5, 2016
Co-worker were very nice people. If you're not an outgoing person, then this is likely not the job for you. Had to go door to door most days, and at different times of the day. I was not particularly keen of roaming Baltimore city at night, especially since i was not familiar with the area.
Excellent workplace for environmental justice
Program Organizer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 4, 2016
This is a fantastic company to work for. I have worked in all four departments over the past 3 years and I cannot express what a wonderful team they have here. Environmental work can often be like fighting an uphill battle, but this company continually works to fight for our health and environment.
Enriching nonprofit experience with dynamic co-workers.
Field Manager (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAJanuary 2, 2016
This work is very rewarding as I go door to door and inspire strangers to participate in environmental and public health issues, as well as exercise their power as a citizen of the US. I find it especially enjoyable because I have a wonderful boss and have developed great friendships with my co-workers. It is a positive and progressive work environment, and we always aim to have fun.
canvassing, canvassing, and more canvassing
canvasser (Former Employee) –  montclair NJSeptember 17, 2015
Great people that work for a great cause. Canvassing is close to 100% of the work done. Some people are very rude, some people are very nice but you'll have to find that out for yourself. I've learned to not knock on peoples door after 8 PM even the nicest people don't want to be bothered. If you're a people person and don't mind working the second shift of the day then this job is for you. personally i don't like asking people for donations and working second shift hours. base pay was decent for entry level/internship. Office setting reminds me of a third grade classroom. If there's any doubt you wont like going door to door asking for donations don't take this job.
Pros
good exercise, good experience
Cons
second shift, long hours, exhausted by the end of the night
very calm yet productive environment
membership renewal consultant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 14, 2015
plenty of positive environmental topics discussed and addressed through fundraising. great communication skills and training practices. overall positive and friendly environment
Pros
great money earning potential
Cons
dull and often boring work shift
canvasser
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 9, 2015
i loved working there i got ot go out in the community and inform them about the dangerous toxins that went into the water. i have a great personality and i love talking to people so this job for me was a win/win
Horrible racket
Trainee (Former Employee) –  DenverFebruary 28, 2015
This place is not where you want to work. They have new people doing an "observation" every day. They basically use employees for minimum wage until your number of "trainee days" run out. This is simply a racket organization.

They tell you that there is someone in the company lobbying the house and senate but I saw no evidence of that. They simply use you. EVERY SINGLE DAY there is a new "employee". They make you think that you're "hired" but that almost never happens. I have a masters in environmental science and have done sales before. These people are simply sketchy. DO NOT WORK FOR THEM!! And don't donate either. Bad organization.
Pros
Cons
Creepy cult feel, annoying, stare through you
Great grassroot organizing experience
Community Organizer/ Field Canvasser (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MdFebruary 18, 2015
I find the best part of my position is engaging with a diversity among communities. Establishing support and renewing existing on call to action campaigns protecting public health , environment and water. The best result is winning a campaign with the notion that your organizing made the difference.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clean Water Action. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9